1889 Bio Index
H. B. KEES, a native of Venango County, Pennsylvania, was born August 19, 1835; he is a son of George and Nancy (Benn) Kees; he was reared to farm life and received his education in the common schools and in an academy. When he reached his twenty-first year he came to Iowa, and located at Sabula, Jackson County, Iowa. He resided there five years and learned the carpenter's trade, which he followed during his stay in Jackson County. For ten years after leaving Jackson County, he spent his time in carpentering, farming and school-teaching. From Jackson County he emigrated to Clayton County, near the county seat; while there he followed farming and school-teaching.
He was married December 25, 1860, to Miss Martha Patterson, daughter of John and Jane Green Patterson. She was born in February, 1838. In 1865 they removed to Boone County, Iowa, near Prairie Hill post-office. Here he followed carpentering three years, and then engaged in the mercantile business, near Perry, Iowa. He remained at this point two years and then went to Perry with his stock of goods; after one year's sojourn in Perry he sold the business and moved on a farm in Greene County, Iowa. He remained here until December, 1881, when he removed to his present home, in section 32, Douglas Township. His first purchase was 210 acres of partially improved land; he has since brought it into a fine state of cultivation; he now owns 570 acres of improved land in Douglas, Greeley and Polk Townships. Since his residence in Shelby County he has followed agricultural pursuits alone. When residing in Greene County he was elected to the board of commissioners. He enlisted in the United States service in 1865, but was never mustered into the service.
He is a live, energetic man, who labors for the country and the welfare of those around him. He is a Republican, always taking an active part in the movements of the party. He is president of the Farmers' Alliance of Shelby County, an association formed March, 1886. He is also vice-president of Shelby County Bank. Mr. and Mrs. Kees are the parents of seven children - George S. resides near Defiance, Iowa; Clarence H., at home; Sarah J., deceased; Lettie A., deceased; Lillie M., John P. and Edward, at home. Mr. and Mrs. Kees are worthy and consistent members of the Methodist Episcopal church at Harlan, Mr. Kees being an ordained local deacon in that church.
Source: 1889 Biographical History of Shelby County, Iowa, pp. 300-301. Transcribed by Marthann Kohl-Fuhs.