1889 Bio Index
T. J. CALDWELL
T. J. CALDWELL, one of the best known of Jackson Township's intelligent and active farmers, has been a resident of Shelby County since 1865. He was born in Hancock County, Indiana, July 23, 1837, and is a son of Elijah and Nancy (Wilson) Caldwell, natives of Tennessee and Kentucky respectively. The father was brought to Kentucky when a babe by his parents. After his marriage Mr. Caldwell and his wife settled in Hancock County, Indiana, where T. J. was reared to the occupation of a farmer, and educated in the common schools. At the early age of seventeen years he was seized with the desire to see the west, and in 1854 he came alone to Iowa and settled in Jasper County, where he remained until 1859; he then removed to Polk County, Iowa, and made that his home for one year. In 1861 he determined to see the western coast of this country, and started with a team and wagon, his wife and three children, to California; he was four months on the road. His wife died in Eldorado County, California, leaving three young children. Mr. Caldwell engaged in freighting for some time, and then returned to Iowa. In 1864 he was married to his present wife, who was Miss Lucinda Carmine, of Mahaska County. In 1865, as before stated, he came to Shelby County and settled three miles northeast of Harlan; there he built a log-cabin, in which hospitality was never lacking. He bought and improved a farm of 300 acres, which he sold in 1883, and removed to Jackson Township; there he purchased a farm of 356 acres, which he has placed under good cultivation. He has a fine residence, built in modern style, and well furnished; it is pleasantly situated in the midst of shade and ornamental trees, and is a very attractive home. He has buildings for the protection and care of live-stock, and all the modern conveniences for stock-raising. By his first marriage Mr. Caldwell had three children -- Elijah, William H. and Sarah Ida. By his second marriage three children were born -- Charles, John and Edward. Mr. Caldwell is the pioneer stock-shipper of Shelby County, having shipped the first stock from Avoca, and also from Harlan. He is one of the best judges of live-stock in the county. The first Baptist church of the county was organized in Mr. Caldwell's log cabin, Mrs. Caldwell being one of the active members. She is a member of the Baptist church at Bowman's Grove. Mr. Caldwell is in the prime of life, has traveled extensively, is genial in his manners, and has many friends among the citizens of Jackson Township.
Source: 1889 Biographical History of Shelby County, Iowa, pp. 633. Transcribed by Marthann Kohl-Fuhs.