Scott Co, Iowa - IAGenWeb Project

Newspaper Clippings..

Davenport Daily Times
Tuesday, March 1897

The Davenport friends of William SYPHERT of Elkhart, Ind. Will regret to learn of his demise in that city yesterday. The deceased was seventy-five years of age and has visited here quite frequently.

The funeral of Sanford DIXON was held from the residence of his daughter, Mrs. J. H. DAVIS, on Park avenue, yesterday afternoon. Rev. C. H. WEAVER conducted the services and the remains were taken to the Fenno cemetery in Pleasant Valley for interment.

The remains of Claus P. STRUCK, who died at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Fred JOCHIMS, in Dennison, Ia., arrived in the city yesterday. Mr. STRUCK was a former resident of this city, having lived here since 1858 until about three months ago, when he went to Dennison. He was seventy-four years of age and is survived by three children. The funeral will be held tomorrow afternoon at 2 o'clock from the residence, 112 Brown street. Interment will be in the city cemetery.

Mrs. Elizabeth PRYNE, an inmate of the Cook Home, passed away this morning at the advanced age of sixty-eight years. An illness of about one week resulted in her demise. The deceased was a native of New York and has been a resident of Iowa for twenty years. The remains will probably be taken to Princetown for interment

Last night at Mercy hospital occurred the death of Andrew EGERT from cancer of the stomach, in the sixtieth year of his age. The deceased was for many years a resident of this city and leaves a wide circle of friends to mourn his death. The funeral will be held from Mercy hospital tomorrow morning with interment at St. Marguerite's cemetery.


Roy PORTER, a Davenport student in the medical department of the Drake University, is at home for the usual vacation.

In General

Several flocks of wild geese passed northwest last evening, which is but another sign that spring is near at hand.

Edison E. KING was sent up for twelve days this morning on the charge of assault and battery. There were no other cases in the police court.

Lindsay PITTS wishes to inform an anxious public that the "colored saloon row" narrated in the Times last evening did not occur in his establishment.

Miss WARREN of the High school faculty was back in her old place Monday after almost a month's illness. During her absence Mrs. ROBERTS filled the position.

The friends of Henry KARWATH, who has been quite ill for the past month will be interested to learn that he is improving.

The case of BRAMMER Manufacturing Company vs. W. C. MATTHES et al was dismissed, as were also the cases of MUELLER Bros. vs. HAMMAN and WEYERHAUSER & DENKMANN vs. HAMMAN.

Paul ANKERSON and Ernst WENZEL leave for Chicago this evening on business connected with the new W. A. & O. market.

George HAVENS, a teamster in the employ of the city, was the victim of a vicious cat at Chris JAEGER'S place Sunday. The enraged animal jumped at HAVEN'S face, lighting on his arm and biting viciously.

Two more candidates to head the Republican ticket in the coming campaign are being mentioned in certain circles. Notwithstanding the fact that Ald. W. H. WILSON has stated positively that he would not accept his name being mentioned as candidate. Friends of John L. MASON are also urging his name to head the ticket for mayor.

Fancy Walkists

Cake walks seem to be the order of the day-or rather the evening-the latest entertainment of this nature having been given in Rock Island last evening for the benefit of the Second Baptist church (colored) of that city. The graceful pedestrians for tri-city colored society participated in the grand march, which was led by Abe WARWICK of Davenport. The judges of the pedestrianistic evolutions were C. J. SEARLE, C. B. MARSHALL, John RIUCK, H. B. SIMMON and Charles BLADELL, and after viewing the fancy maneuvres they decided that Sarah PIERSON and Wallace BALLARD were entitled to first prize, Mrs. Anna MERCHANT and Oscar JONES the second and Julia HILL and James LOWRY the third. The programme was varied with musical numbers and the affair as a whole was voted one of the gala events in the annals of tri-city colored swelldom.

"St. Ives."

The Last of Stevenson's Masterpieces Being Published.

The world will have nothing more from the magic pen of the late Robert Louis Stevenson after the romantic novel of "St. Ives," which began publication in the March number of McClure's Magazine.He had the good fortune to leave it substantially complete.

The Times
Friday, March 12, 1897

In General

Mr. and Mrs. Fred H. EVERS and Miss DEVERS have returned from Washington where a pleasant visit with George EVERS made more delightful the sight-seeing of the inauguration.

A TREDICK will lead the afternoon meeting at the Y. M. C. A. rooms Sunday.

Licenses to wed have been issued to Charles DRUHL and Laura BEYER, Ficholas (sic) BEHRENS and Fredericka ERICKS.

A marriage license was issued in Rock Island yesterday to Walter BOYNTON of that city and Della WOOD of Davenport.

Fritz PAULSEN and miss Frances JADGHUBER of this city, were married yesterday at Justice ALTMAN'S court. The young couple will make their future home here.

The funeral of the late Dr. J. H. SALE of Moline, who passed away suddenly on Wednesday night, will be held from his late residence at 2 o'clock Sunday afternoon with service at the First M. E. church of Moline.

Capt. James G. CRANE celebrated the eighty-seventh anniversary of his birth yesterday, and was kept busy receiving the congratulations of his many friends. Capt. CRANE holds the honor of being the oldest living soldier in Iowa, and bears well the years of his ripe old age.

John RADCLIFFE, a Moline blacksmith, was painfully injured Wednesday while on his way to work in Rock Island. He was on a car which ran off the track, enroute, and before the current had been turned off RADCLIFFE grasped both hand rails with the intent of hanging on.


Benj. PAINTER, a well known resident of Hickory Grove township, passed away at his home three miles south of Donahue about 2 o'clock yesterday afternoon. The cause of death was due to old age. The deceased had reached the ripe old age of eighty nine years, and has made his home in Hickory Grove township for the past thirty-eight years. Mr. PAINTER was a native of Westmoreland county, PA., and came to Iowa in 1857. After years of practical life on a farm, Mr. PAINTER has led a retired life for sometime past. Mr. PAINTER was a member of the Masonic order and Davenport lodge of this city. He is survived by three children-C. C. of Spirit Lake, B. F., of this city, and Mrs. Alice STOKES of Donahue. The funeral will be held from the late residence Sunday morning at 10 o'clock, under the auspices of the Masonic order. The interment will be made in Oakdale cemetery.

***The entrance into the office building was effected by breaking the lock off the front door. The job was a quick on and cleverly as well as boldly done. Less than ten minutes was occupied in the breaking into the office, forcing the safe and getting away with the money. Alderman William KLEIN, foreman at the works, was in the office until a late hour and locked up shortly after 1 o'clock this morning. He then proceeded to the works, about half a block away and went down into the boiler room. He had been there less than fifteen minutes when Night Watchman Henry KRACK told him that something was wrong at the office. Together the two men hurried to the office building and found the door open.

On entering, a glance at the safe showed that burglars had been there and $300 was missing. The police were at one notified. The investigation of the police resulted in the finding of an outfit consisting of two sledges, one a 25 pound affair, two cold chisels, four punches and a pair of long handled tongs. These were stolen from a neighboring blacksmith shop and are the property of John KROPS.

The office of the Glucose works was not the only establishment visited by the cracksmen last night. Sometime after midnight Henry F. GOSCH, who runs a butcher shop at 2047 west Third street, was awakened by the rays of an electric light shining through his bed room window in the rear of his market, and on the first floor. He heard a noise, and turning saw a man's leg protruding over the window sill in the act of climbing in Realizing that burglars were trying to enter, Mr. GOSCH greeted them with a blood curdling yell which shook the rafters above him. In an instant the foot disappeared and the thieves skedaddled away.

The police are hard at work today with little if anything to work upon. Two men were seen in the neighborhood around midnight but any description of them was rather vague in the darkness.

Daily Times
Davenport, Scott, Iowa
March 12, 1897

Hibernian Banquet
Two Local Divisions Will Celebrate St. Patrick's Day

The two local divisions of the Ancient Order of Hibernians have completed
arrangements for their banquet and celebration of St. Patrick's day at the
Hibernian Hall next Wednesday evening. Invitations have been sent out to the
friends of the two divisions, and the gathering will be quite a large one.
The supper will be served by the Ladies Catholic Union, after which a toast
programme will be carried out, attractively varied with vocal and
instrumental music.
Mr. A.J. SMITH will officiate as toastmaster, and will announce the
following attractive programme:
Piano Solo.....Mrs. Wm. LILLIS
"The Day We Celebrate".....A.P. McGUIRK
Vocal Solo.....M.V. KELLY
"The Duties of Citizenship"...A.E. CARROLL
Piano Solo.....Cleo McCORMACK
"The Ladies".....J.M. CASH
Piano Solo.....Miss Stella GORMAN
Quartette.....Selected Alice O'CONNOR, James A LINDLEY, Mary LINDLEY, Joseph
"The A.O.H."...E.M.SHARON
Guitar and Mandolin Duet...DAVENPORT and FLYNN.

The Davenport Daily Times
Monday, March 22, 1897

Mr. and Mrs. F. M. RHODES, of 602 east Fifteenth street, are mourning the death of their infant son, who passed away yesterday morning at the age of two days. The remains will be sent to Wyoming, Ia., for interment.

Joseph H. PINCKNEY, residing at 2312 Farnum street passed away at about 5 o'clock yesterday afternoon, his demise being the result of a spinal trouble of several years standing. The deceased was forty two years of age and a native of Illinois. He came from Cambridge in that state about eighteen years ago and has since made his home here. He is survived by his wife, four brothers and one sister. There are no children. The funeral will be held tomorrow with interment in Oakdale cemetery.

Local Brevities

Aldermanic Ticket

First Ward...Herbert STRATEMAN

Second Ward..Robert DOERING

Third Ward..Henry NAGEL

Fourth Ward...J. W. BALLARD

Fifth Ward...Geo. W. BAWDEN

Sixth Ward..Henry TRUENEN, Jr.


Miss Helen HAMM of Dubuque is a guest at the home of Mr. and Mrs. F. J. WALZ.

Dr. E. S. BOWMAN returned from Andalusia this noon where he spent Sunday visiting friends.

Rev. and J. B. LITTLE of Shenandoah, Ia., are here to attend the funeral of the latter's mother, Mrs. MCALLISTER.

Prof. R. P. Redfield of the high school has been called to his former home, Middleton, N. Y. on account of the illness of relatives.

E. R. Care, who has spent the past month or so in the south, has returned home. He spent several weeks in Florida and was as far south as Florida Keys.

Mrs. Mary L. D. PUTNAM and daughter, Miss Lizzie PUTNAM left today for Washington, en route for New York. They will sail early in April for Paris and spend the summer in Europe.

In General

Licenses to wed were issued today to Harry J. WILLIAMS and Dora HOWE.

The Bay View Literary society will be entertained this evening at the home of Rev. J. T. MELOY on Fifteenth street.

Wedding rings at cut prices at KOCH'S jewelery store, 406 W. Second.

An alarm from box 22 on Fourteenth and Gaines streets called out the fire department about 10 o'clock this morning. The blaze was in some grass and rattlings was quickly extinguished.

Cards are out announcing the marriage of Miss Amy WRIGHT and Mr. Charles B. POWELL which will be celebrated at the home of the bride's parents, 1026 Arlington avenue, Wednesday evening, march 31st.

Two engagements which are of local interest have been announced. One is the engagement of Dr. Raymond E. PECK and Miss Myra RORABACK, and the other, Robert C. FICKE and Miss Madeline SPELLETICH. Both couples are well known and congratulations will be general.

Martin GILLEN, Frank DUNCAN, Ed MOONEY, Frank MARONEY and William SPRAGUE, Rock Island engineers, have been temporarily set back to firing on account of a lull in business. In consequence of this change Firemen Ed YODER, Merwin WYNES, Carl ODEN and George WEYRAUCH have been laid off.

Fire Chief REESE of the Moline fire department underwent an operation Saturday which resulted in the removal of a splinter of wood an inch and a half long from his hand. Chief REESE injured his hand at a fire about two months ago and while the wound healed it remained very painful. An X-Ray photograph told the story and located the splinter.

Michael NAGLE, who so gracefully handles the ribbons o'er the dashing steeds of the hook and ladder company, has gone for a day's outing to the classic Wapsie bottoms to take shots and snap-shots with gun and camera.

Probate Matter

Last Wills of Henry TECHENTIN and Barbara HOFFMANN

The last will and testament of Henry TECHENTIN was filed today for probate. The testator bequeaths his entire estate to his son, Henry w. TECHENTIN, appointing him executor of the estate. The following legacies are also make in the event of the death of the son:

To Heinrich BUSCH of Hamburg, Germany, grandson of a deceased brother, Fritz TECHENTIN, who died in Neu Kloster, Mecklenberg, Schewerin, $5,000.

To Mrs. Julia NNIEF, a daughter of a deceased sister in Germany, $2,500.

To August KIERSCHNESTEIN, a son of a deceased sister in Germany, $2,500.

Bequests of $1,000 each are left to Carl LEONARD, Wihelmina MEYER and Louisa VICK, all of Germany. Fritz TECHENTIN of this city, Henry G. TECHENTIN of Indianapolis, Ind., and Julia FICKE of Fremont, Ohio, children of a deceased brother are also left legacies of $1,000 each.

Wilhelmina RAHM and Louisa ENGHOLM, the former of Chicago, the latter of Evanston, both daughters of the deceased brother, John TECHENTIN, are bequeathed $1,000 each. One thousand dollars is bequeathed to the Mississippi Valley spiritualist association of Clinton, Ia. The same legacy is left to the Schuetzen Verein for the beautifying of the park. To the Davenport Turngemeinde $750 together with a ten shares of the building stock of the society is devised.

A "Henry TECHENTIN Poor Fund" is created with the German Trust company as trustee, the fund to be distributed to the deserving poor of the city through the offices of the charitable associations. When the German Trust company shall cease to exist the trusteeship shall be vested in the judge of the district court who is empowered to appoint three commissioners to administer the fund.

It is directed that the business of Henry TECHENTIN & Co., be purchased by A. KNUEFFEL and Fritz OTT upon terms satisfactory to them.

The last will and testament of Barbara HOFFMANN was filed for probate with the clerk of the district court today. The testatrix bequeathes to Hazel Martha HOFFMANN the sum of $1,000 payable to her as legatee when she attains her eighteenth birthday. The husband, Frank HOFFMANN, is appointed the trustee with instructions to make such payment when the heir-at-law attains her maturity. All the rest, residue, and remainder of the estate is bequeathed to the surviving husband, Frank HOFFMANN, who is also appointed executor without bond.

Attempts His Own Life

John B. FIDLAR Turns A Pistol on Himself

The Rash Deed Committed at His Office in Masonic Temple Saturday Evening-The Wound Will Result in Death-A Sad Case.

Despondent over poor success in business and weary of life's struggles John B. FIDLAR retired into a closet opening from his office in the Masonic Temple Saturday evening and sent a bullet of heavy caliber crashing through his brain. The fatal bullet did not do its work at one and he was taken to his home in an unconscious condition.

The rash act was committed some time between 6 and 7 o'clock in the evening but the exact time is not known. Mr. FIDLAR was seen about the building at 6 o'clock and it was not until 7 o'clock that Henry MCGAW, the assistant janitor, went into his office and learned the true state of affairs. On entering the office Mr. MCGAW heard heavy breathing and going to the closet Mr. FIDLAR was found in an unconscious condition. Two revolvers in Mr. FIDLAR'S lap and a wound just above the right ear told the story of an attempted suicide.

Mr. MCGAW raised the alarm and the unfortunate man was lifted to a couch. He was breathing heavily and unconscious and medical assistance was quickly summoned. Dr. FRENCH responded while a telephone message informed W. F. FIDLAR of his brother's condition. Several other friends were also notified and hastened to the temple. Dr. FRENCH probed for the ball that did the work but could not find it and gave his opinion that Mr. FIDLAR'S death was only a question of time. The city ambulance was summoned, and Mr. FIDLAR was taken to his home on Arlington avenue. His brother, W. F. FIDLAR, a and John HOYT proceeded to break the news to Mrs. FIDLAR and other members of his family at home. Dr. WATZEK was called but could give the sorrowing family no hope.

John B. FIDLAR is fifty-nine years of age and a native of Licking county, Ohio. He served in Company D of the Twenty-fifth Iowa infantry and was connected with the American Express company from the close of the war until 1870 when he became cashier of the First National bank. Mr. FIDLAR retired from this position about three years ago. During the past year he has been secretary of the Business Men's association. His family consists of his wife and one son, William. There are two brothers, W. F., of this city, and Solon H. of Dubuque.

Mr. FIDLAR has been in an unconscious condition since the shooting, and at noon today he showed signs of growing somewhat weaker. The attending physician is of the opinion that a few hours at the outside will see the end. At last reports, late this afternoon, he was still alive.

Mrs. Maria HUCKSTAEDT, a well known resident of this city passed away at her home, 1315 Leonard street Saturday evening. The deceased had attained the advanced age of eighty years and was widely known throughout the city. She had earned the appellation of mother of the Turner society of Northwest Davenport and was highly respected by all who knew her.

Mrs. HUCKSTAEDT came to this city about forty-five years ago and has since made her home here. She is survived by her husband, George H. HUCKSTAEDT, and six children, together with several grandchildren. The funeral service will be private.

At her home in Joslin, Ill., Saturday morning occurred the death of Lillie HEALD, a former resident of this city. The deceased was born at Lockport, Ill., March 10, 1859, and the family resided in this city for about twenty years. About four years ago, the family removed to Joslin. She is survived by her parents, three brothers and three sisters.

Agnes FRITSCH, a six-year-old inmate of St. Vincent's home on east Fifteenth street, passed away at an early hour yesterday morning after a short illness from diphtheria combined with measles. The funeral was held yesterday, with interment at St. Marguerite's cemetery.

At the residence of her nephew, O. P. JUDD, on Grand avenue yesterday noon, occurred the death of Mrs. Hannah ANTHONY, late of Denver, Col. For the past two weeks she has been a guest at the home of her nephew where she was taken ill about a week ago.

The deceased was a native of Melford, Con., and had reached the age of seventy-three years. The family formerly resided at Camanche, Ia., but for sometime past Mrs. ANTHONY has made her home in Denver, where two sons are in business. The remains will be taken to Camanche for interment.


Return to Newspapers Index Page