DESCRIPTION OF LONG GROVE IOWA: Long Grove is about 12 Miles north of Davenport on the C. M. & St. P. Railway. It is pleasantly located near a large grove of fine timber, from which it derives its name, and is surrounded by a very rich farming country. It has a most excellent School, employing two teachers: two Churches, two extensive dealers in General Merchandise, a first class Feed Mill, Creamery, two dealers in Farm Implements, Wagons, Carriages, etc., two Blacksmith Shops, a Cigar Factory, Meat Market, Grain Elevator, Limber and Coal Yards, an extensive Nursery, Shippers of Live Stock, Physician, Carpenters, Contractors, Hotel, Saloon, etc. It has a rural free mail delivery route and is the center of 12 Telephone Lines, radiating in all directions.
The history of Long Grove is closely identified with the very early history of Scott County and the Start of Iowa.
The town takes its name from the long, narrow strip of timber, which stretched from Walnut Grove northeast of present Highway 61, to Allen’s Grove several miles to the northwest. This strip of timber followed the ridge which divided the level land sloping toward the Wapsipinicon River to the north and the flat prairie to the south.
Having heard of the new “Blackhawk Purchase” while stopping in Burlington, the Brownlie Brothers, Alexander and James came to this area in early August of 1838. They heard of timber land lying along the Wapsipinicon, and since in 1838 timber was necessary for home building and for fuel, they followed the Mississippi to the mouth of the Wapsi, then west along its banks, only to find all land pre-empted. After walking for many miles they reached a log cabin belonging to brothers, John and William Quinn. After consultation with the Quinn’s, they decided to go back to Davenport and try to buy the timber ridge claim of a man named Coates, of whom the Quinn’s told them. This claim was purchased for $160, timberland and all of the prairie land they wished to own. Here in late August, 1838, the first log cabin of the settlement was built, in a cluster of trees at the east edge of the timber. This is just south of the original town, and part of their claim is now within the town boundaries. For many years now, the Brownlie farm, just south of Long Grove has been owned by the Schultz Family, first by Gustav Schultz, then by his son, Frank and presently by the family of Leonard Schultz, Frank’s son.
The Brownlie log cabin of 1838 was the only house on the road from the Quinn cabin on the Wapsi to Davenport. This land and another claim owned by the Elder and Cooper families is the present site of Long Grove.
James Brownlie History Story
We Left Scotland on March 31, 1826, landed in Canada in the middle of May, same year, lived there until 1838, chopping farms out of the woods. Unhappy with continued British rule, sold everything we had gained (for actual cash), to find a home in Western United States, Illinois preferable. Had many difficulties getting out of Canada, but finally shook Canada forever. Found new friends, all were friendly in new country. Paid full fare to Buffalo, New York; by boat, but were left stranded half way, and had to wait for a train and pay fare to Buffalo again.
Our first 4th of July was spent in Cleveland, then traveled on the canal to Portsmouth, on the Ohio River. It took us 9 days crossing Ohio on the canal. After reaching the Ohio we took a steamboat to Alton, Illinois. We left the women and children in a rented house in Alton, and Alexander and I started into the country seeking a place to settle. After traveling a long time along the Illinois River and in Southern Illinois, finding nothing suitable, which was not claimed, came back very discouraged, but while traveling had heard reports of the “Blackhawk Purchase” as then called, and a part of “Wisconsin Territory”, now “Iowa” decided to have a look on the west side of the Mississippi. Stopped at Burlington for a little while and finally reached Davenport in early August, 1838. Davenport then, was only a city in prospect. At this time there was no land in market in Scott County, and none for two or three years after we came to Long Grove. People held their lands by claim and some did not live on or near their claim. (For instance a man named Pease, held claims along now Highway 61 at St. Ann’s Road but lived in Dubuque for years.) Following east and north from Davenport along the Mississippi and finding all land claimed, we reached the mouth of the Wapsipinicon, followed it west still finding timberland, all claimed, we reached a log cabin home of the Quinn Brothers at Pleasant Point which was nearly due north of present Long Grove. The Quinn’s were two bachelors, quite content, though five miles from any neighbors. They told us of two timber claims several miles to the south held by two men, Mr. Coates and Mr. Alvord, who might sell.
We now turned our faces toward these claims and after a long, tedious walk through sloughs, sand and long grass (there were no horses for rent) we reached the area of Long Grove.
Reaching it we found a Charles Elder, his wife and one child, and Leonard Cooper and family of ten, and Frederick Arbel living in log cabins in the area. The Cooper’s and Arbel had been neighbors in Pennsylvania. Cooper and Elder were brothers-in-law and had come to Long Grove in early 1838. Members of the Elder family later built a frame house in Long Grove and lived here until 1920. A. A. Cooper, son of Leonard Cooper left Long Grove but manufactured the Cooper wagon out of Dubuque for may years. Many pioneers owned his wagons and they were well known in many states.
Leaving Long Grove we journeyed around the area to Warren’s Grove (now Walnut Grove) only to find all timber claimed by Mr. Pease, and some by a Mr. Coates. Back to Quinn’s, then on to Allen’s Grove claimed by a Mr. Allen, after whom the grove was named, then to Poston’s Grove , where we found a Mr. Poston who told us he was “Lord of all he surveyed”. Giving up the idea of a claim and desiring land with timber for home building we decided to go back to Davenport and try to buy the Coates’s claim. After some negotiating we bought for $160 – 160 acres of timber land, so now owned 160 acres of wooded area, the only land considered of any value, and all the prairie land we wanted to claim.
We then built a safe and secure log cabin and returned to bring our families from Alton. Were back in our cabin home before Christmas. Religious services were held at Christmas in the Brownlie cabin and were continued to be held here until 1846 when a log cabin church was built and used for Christian services and as a school.
Mr. Brownlie ways there were no births or deaths in the settlement within the first four years. Elihu Alvord arrived in 1839, making his home with the James Brownlie family. Brother William Brownlie, with family of five settled here in 1840 and later built the first frame house in Long Grove. Eventually there were five Brownlie brothers but James and Alexander were the leaders. In 1840 a Church was organized according to the “New Testament” with services still held in the Brownlie cabin. Also in 1840, Mr. Pease came to live on his claim near Walnut Grove and James Brownlie conducted religious services there. Notes say these were Presbyterian in character. Occasionally a circuit rider, of Methodist Faith stopped in Long Grove and at Peases. These were the only places within 50 miles where corn for his horse could be obtained. Another, a Father Stimpson, on his way to Dubuque, preached at Peases, advocating resignation and humility, and enjoying a good cup of tea.
The first school was opened in 1841, its first teacher being Dominic Kennedy. It was an independent school and parents paid their children’s tuition if they wished them to go.
In 1841 the Quinn brothers sold their Point Pleasant land near the Wapsie and moved to the Long Grove settlement. For some years after this the purchaser operated a ferry service at Point Pleasant and it was an easy place to ford the Wapsie on the way to DeWitt.
In 1844 quite a little colony of Scottish people for the banks of the river Clyde, came to the Long Grove area in Winfield Township. Leading this group was Mrs. John Robertson , a widow, more than seventy years of age, Also the James and Robert Neil families arrived in 1845.
In 1846 the whole neighborhood turned out and hauled logs from the Wapsie to build a log building to hold all kinds of meetings, religious, political and school. The first regular preacher was James Rumbold, and elder in the Christian Church of Davenport. This Building stood just north of the present Long Grove Christian Church.
The first election was held in this church in 1845. Previous to this, elections had been held in the 15 mile house which was located on the corner of Highway 61 and McCausland road, now in Butler Township and part of the Pease claim. Until 1853 there were no villages, no stores, but one saloon, presumably the 15 mile house, so the nearest merchandise store was in Long Grove. However in 1853, the village of McCausland came into existence and in 1865, Butler Township was organized. In later 1860’s the first postoffice, which had been in the Henry Peas home for 25 years was moved to Long Grove and Mr. S. D. Richardson became the first postmaster. Soon after, a mail route, (Man on horseback) was organized from Long Grove to Princeton, and a small way office called Barrwood with Samuel Barr as Postmaster was opened in Walnut Grove.
The first burial in Long Grove Cemetery was that of William Brownlie in November, 1846. However, at that time the cemetery was unfenced and livestock roamed at will over the early graves. In 1858, th cemetery was completely fenced , and the rail fences around a few of the early graves were removed.
Long Grove School House
Long Grove School Room
In 1860 a frame church building 40x50 feet and 15 feet high was built at a cost of $1,000, this was just south of the original log church and is being used at this time, 1969 although it has been enlarged and beautified at different times over the almost 110 years. Also, for the first time names other than the Brownlies are mentioned often, James Rumbold, H. G. Neil, James Hartzel, Hugh M. Thomason, Henry Exloy, J. H. Gilruth, Dr. S. J. Richardson, John Pollock, John Grear, C. S. Clapp, John Madden, William & John Robertson, David Hardin, and a Mr. Emces.
On April 5, 1858, the Long Grove Plowing Society was organized to improve agricultural methods, and quality crop grown in the area. The following were the first officers: John Madden, President William Robertson, Treasurer; David Hardin, Secretary; John Robertson, and Alex Brownlie, Superintendents; and John Pollock, Long Grove and Hugh M. Thomson, Awarding Committee. Its members took premiums for best work at every county and state fair. The plowing group remained as an agricultural improvement society for many year. Chris Marti became its active leader.
In 1850 Samuel Cody, eldest son of Isaac Cody, and brother of William Cody (Buffalo Bill) was killed by a vicious horse, on which he was riding, just north of Long Grove, and Is buried in the Long Grove cemetery just south of the church. His grave is marked by a small stone.
In 1859, James Quinn was elected to the House of Representatives on the Republican ticket, the first Long Grove citizen to hold public office. Hugh M. Thomson was elected to the State Legislature during the same period.
By the early middle 1840’s settlers from eastern States, Ireland, Switzerland and Germany began to settle around the village.. Many of the Irish families settled to the north and west, near the Wapsie River and to the west of Long Grove. Familiar names are Richard and Matthew Tobin, brothers in 1843; John T. Mason, 1853; James Armstrong, 1850; John Ennis, 1853; Dominick Gillin, 1853; John McManus, 1852; John T. Noel, 1849; John T. Russell, 1854.
From Switzerland were the Marti families, A B. Marti and Chris Marti, Sr. A son, Chris Marti, Jr. born in Switzerland May 27, 1845, came with his parents to Long Grove area in 1852. In 1872 he was elected director of Long Grove Independent School. IN 1889 he was elected to Iowa State Legislature and re-elected for three terms.
In 1852, the first German Families arrives and occupied farms quite close to the town. They were C. H. Ficke family , the Holland’s, Hackers and Van Patterns. Mr. C. A. Ficke, son of C. H. became a Lawyer, a member of the Iowa Legislature and a very distinguished citizen of Scott County and Davenport. When he was past 80 years of age he wrote and published a book, “Memories of Fourscore Years” for a number of close friends. One of these was Mr. Chris Marti. There is a copy of this in Davenport Public Library that is fascinating reading.
In 1853 the Catholic Families, who had been hearing Mass in the Cooper & Elder homes, decided to build a church, land was donated and a small frame church was built, some two miles north of town. Among this group are names still familiar to the area, John McManus, Richard and Matthew Tobin, John Noel, Michael Lillis, Martin Kehoe, Leonard Cooper, Patrick Dempsey and Charles Elder. This church later became the vestry of the present St. Ann’s. Until 1870 there was not a resident priest but the church was supplied from St. Ambrose. Father Cosgrove was the most notable of these, as he later became Bishop of the Davenport Diocese. Father Thomas Smith because the first resident priest in 1870 after the parsonage was completed and the new larger church was being completed. Best known of the men who later served are Father Martin McNamara, Father Harvey Finefeild, Father Lynch, Father Lawlor, Father Ryan and the present pastor Rev. R. M. Maher, who has been pastor for nearly 30 years.
About the late 1850’s or perhaps a few years later the Long Gorve Independent School, one room was built, later about 1890 to have an additional added so that grades 1 through 4 were taught by one teacher, and 5 through 8 by another. (The 1882 history of Dr. Barrow’s says: the Long Grove No. 1 School located ½ mile north of town is valued at $800 and has in the district 109 pupils. School enrollment is 61, others being too young or old enough to work at home. This is the building purchased from North Scott Community District and moved from the old location to First Street in Long Grove in 1968 by the Long Grove Civic League, as a Community Building.
Up to the period of 1860, Willard Barrow’s history says “There was room for all in the Long Grove settlement, and it was a model of excellence in its early struggles, and nobly did it succeed, with its industry, churches and school.”
Many anecdotes of these early times are told in Mr. Ficke’s book of history, of the hard times of these earliest pioneers, language differences, ideologies, school problems because of religious and language differences, of the building of mills on creeks at two locations, one north of Walnut Grove and one north of Long Grove to grind flour which failed after a few years, due to damage by flood, and finally by periods of low water. These were built by the Brownlie Brothers, who were accomplished stone masons.
Another chapter tells of the breaking of the prairie sod with a breaking plow pulled by four or five span (teams) of oxen, horses were few in number and mostly use as saddle or driving horses, of the poor crops years because of excess rain, rust in grain, insect damage, and finally the difficulty of getting it to market after it was harvested. Davenport was the nearest market (not too good) and roads were not much better than trails. Horse stealing was prevalent and went on for some years.
A blacksmith shop, harness shop and a shoe repair shop, postoffice in the general store became a necessity. The stage road to DeWitt and Dubuque passed through the village, and though there was not a hotel or public house a traveler was always welcomed at a settlers home, and provided with food for himself and his horse, also a bed if needed. Indians, too, in small groups sometimes asked for food and shelter.
Through the 1850’s to the Civil War in 1861 the settlement grew slowly around the two churches, school, blacksmith shop, two general stores, suffering the hardships of those days, blizzards, poor crops, uncertain money conditions, lack of farm labor and machinery, few work horses, and theft of some; still it progressed and sent its quota of young men to the service of the Union Army.
With the end of the Civil War conditioned became better and in 1868 a railroad began building from Davenport to Dubuque through the town but owing to financial troubles was not competed until 1870. It was known as the Davenport & St. Paul Railroad, later as Chicago, Milwaukee and St. Paul. Until 1874 it ended at Wapsi River when the bridge was built and the road went through DeWitt and to Maquoketa. This road continued to operate until 1919, with a freight train, and a passenger train passing through each day. Freight went toward Davenport in the late afternoon taking livestock and grain toward market and returning early the next day with lumber, coal, kerosene, groceries, machinery, etc. The passenger train carried passengers in the forenoon and returned in the afternoon allowing some five hours of shopping time. This encouraged new Business and soon there was a stockyards, grain elevator, feed mill, lumber yard, coal yard, two general merchandise stores, two blacksmith shops, a saloon, a cigar factory, brick kiln, creamery, hotel and an established physician. According to the 1882 history the town had not been platted but there is some evidence this was done rather loosely in the very late 1800’s. Some abstracted to property show lot numbers, etc.
Early business and men operating them are: Thomas Martindale – born in Country Yorkshire, England in 1832, opened blacksmith shop in Long Grove in early 1863, continued to work in original shop for 38 years, then built new shop & retired in 1902. Chris Madden took over the blacksmith shop.
The stockyards was managed by R. K. Brownlie, his father, and brother, A. W. Brownlie, for many years. They also bought grain and seed of various types and operated farms on the village outskirts.
The Rothchilds Grain Co. built the elevator and hired managers operated them. E. H. Anschutlz was manager here from late 1800’s to 1918 or about that time when Mr. Anschultz purchased the building, and continued to buy grain, store it, and operate a feed sales and grinding service. Coal was also handled by E. A. Anschutz.
Long Grove Railroad Station
Long Grove Pressed Brick Co. 1895
The two general stores, the first one opened very early in town history by O. W. Richardson who was also village postmaster. Some few years later M. M. Rice opened a store just across the street. In 1884 George Curtis, born in Davenport on March 30, 1860 and had been adopted by an uncle who was a pioneer of this area, came to Long Grove and formed a partnership with M. M. Rice – purchased store and stock from Mr. Richardson. The partnership was dissolved two years later when he sold the business to Howard Marriot & a Mr. George. The store later became known as Marriot, Wolf and Briceland still continuing to house the postoffice. Mr. Curtis established a creamery known as the Star Creamery of Long Grove. He built a large new home on 1st Street (as now known) and in 1909 formed a partnership with Dr. G. B. Maxwell and H. W. Meier under the firm name of H. W. Meier Automobile Co.
Henry W. Meier (first mayor of Long Grove) son of Heinrich and Lena (Wiese) Meier was born in Sheridan Township Aug. 8, 1871. His father was a German immigrant, who had come by way of New Orleans to Scott County, purchased a farm an was one of the first to break the prairie sod. He owned the first steam thresher west of the Mississippi and threshed grain in every part of Scott County. His son Henry ran the machine for five years, also engaged in grocery business in Eldridge with a Mr. LaFranz for part of the year. In June 1898 he enlisted in the army, during Spanish American War. After discharge he returned to Scott County, to Long Grove and embarked in the implement business, carrying a full line of farm machinery, hardware, automobiles, and coal, sold Cooper wagons and buggies. His daughter, Mrs. Roma Nagle and several of her family continue to live here and are very active in Civic affairs.
The Hotel was known as the Climax Hotel and was run by H. Carstens in very early years but in 1890’s the hotel, saloon and cigar factory was run by Charles Jacobsen, brother of Peter N. Jacobsen, Jr. of well known tobacco handles and cigar maker. The factory was in the present August Kuehl Building.
Long Grove also had a newspaper published by Herman Kuehl in 1895. The blacksmith shops were owned by Thomas Martindale and W. J. Evans. Chris Madden took over the Martindale shop in 1902 and operated it until his retirement a few years ago. The Evans shop was purchased by Albert Klindt who ran it until his death some six years ago. In later years he had the Chevrolet Agency and did garage work as well as running a filling station and blacksmith shop.
The harness and shoe repair shop were run by a Mr. Green. The south side of Main Street in early 1900’s was from east to west, the elevator and feed mill, Marriot store and post office, harness and shoe shop, hotel and saloon. A meat market was also in this building for some years also operated by Mr. Jacobson. Across to the north from this building was the building built by M. M. Rice and son Grant, a house and then the Rice General Store and home. The new Rice building was two stores, the upper a dance hall, kitchen and dinning room leased by the I.O.O.F. and Rebekah Lodges which were very active in 1890’s and early 1900’s. Up to early 1920’s the town had a basketball team and games were played there. The ground floor had a barber shop and pool hall run by Rollie Miller and Leo Sheridan. An implement shop was operated on the other side by H. W. Meier along with his dealership of Reo & Overland cars. The top floor has been removed now and building has been completely renovated. The Rice store has been torn down for many years.
Before we leave the years before 1920 and the people who built the town we should mention W. E. Owen, long time telegrapher and depot agent, former school teacher and Notary Public. He also sold lumber, coal and insurance. He built the two story brick home on south first street and lived to be a very old gentleman. Cy Ague, section foreman for the railroad for many years, William (Billy) Wampfler and Rudolph Reimers, were section men.
Dr. George B. Maxwell, the physician who drove hundreds of miles by horse and buggy to care for patients, son of a pioneer doctor, lived to drive and have a part in the selling of automobiles.
Bartley Schwegler, farmer, also owner of threshing machines, hey balers and various other types of machinery did custom work for farmers. He lived in the southeast part of town.
PROGRESS FROM 1900
With the new century, new inventions, better roads, established business, new markets for farm products, horses for drawing modern machinery, new farm crops, tilling fields, for drainage, stable money, progress became faster.
In 1900, a telephone system was organized out of Long Grove. Organizers were Dr. George Maxwell, R. K. Brownlie, C. Clapp. The telephones were the product of Sam Clapp whose name was to be found on all the early phones. It became a mutual systems, the first telephone line outside of Davenport n Scott County. It went into operation in 1901; the first line, a party line in a four mile square area around the town. Mr. R. K. Brownlie took care of the switchboard from his home, and only important calls were though the board. Neighbors could call one another without switch service at first. Later the switchboard was moved to the Marriot store, still for important calls only and Mr. Brownlie took night service if necessary. As service increased and new lines were completed two operators were hired, Annie and Minnie Elder, daughters of pioneer settler Joseph Elder. In 1911 a new home and office was built and in 1912 the operators moved into it. Bronda Riemers, Hertha Duffy, Nellie Nagle, Roma Nagle, Marie Marti, Viola Bixby, and Winnie Massage service as operators. Ira Snyder was lineman.
In 1958 the Long Grove and Eldridge mutual companies joined to form the Central Scott Telephone Company and affiliated with the Bell System in dial type phones. For many years and for a time after the consolidation, Ira Snyder, long time resident of Long Grove was the lineman for the system.
In 1907 a new brick bank building was completed and opened for business and Stockman’s Savings Bank with R. K. Brownlie as president, Raymond Curtis as cashier, later H. O. Brownlie was appointed cashier. An attempted robbery of the bank ended in failure and the death of the robbers with put Lone Grove in the pages of the large city papers.
The Davenport Times Democrat tells the story as follows: It was December 15, 1921 that a big car came to a stop in front of the Long Grove bank, 11 miles north of Davenport. Two men, handkerchiefs over their faces, jumped out and ran to the bank door. They found it locked for the noon hour. Thinking no one had seen them they jumped back into their car and left town. But Al Klindt, across the street in his blacksmith shop, and Dick Tobin and Dick Nagle on their way home to lunch had all seen them. Word was spread to the Vigilantes, a group formed for such emergencies. They quickly located themselves to guard the bank door, guns loaded and trained on it. Guns drawn, the bandits returned and charged into the bank. Only R. K. Brownlie, bank president, and Jean Marti, bookkeeper, were in the bank, as H. O. Brownlie, cashier was away on business. R. K. Brownlie was slapped and shoved into the vault. One held a gun on Miss Marti, while the other scooped up $5,000 in cash and stuffed it in a satchel, but while they were busy in the bank, Vigilante Archie Henne had shut off the ignition of the get away car. A hail of bullets met them as they came out the door. Bandit Roy Purple, dropped the satchel of money, drew his .45 automatic and fired for times before he fell with eight bullets in his body, one in the heart. Harry Hamilton, the other bandit managed to reach the car although wounded badly, tried to start it with one hand, while firing a gun with the other. He was captured, bound up, and carried into the next door pool hall and placed on a pool table to wait for the sheriff. Purple died almost immediately, and Hamilton died the next day in Mercy Hospital.
Men of the Vigilantes group named in the newspaper stories were Al Klindt, E. H. Anschultz, C. F. Jacobsen, R. C. Peterson, James Nagle, E. A. Moore Jr., Chris Madden, Dick Nagle, Dick Tobin, Peter Willer, and Arch Henne. There were several versions of the affair, but it is certain it ended in the death of both bandits, and recovery of the money. A reward offered by the Scott County Bankers’ Association was distributed among the Vigilante group.
CHANGES TAKE PLACE
In 1918, World War I broke out, and most of the young men of the community enlisted or were drafted, making it difficult to find help to carry on business and farming. One Long Grove boy, Carl Jacobsen, died in the war. He died from flu and pneumonia in Scotland after his ship sunk enroute off the Scottish coast. He is buried in the Lone Grove Cemetery. Several husbands and brothers of former residents, however, lost their lives in battle.
With the end of World War I and trucks becoming the simplest and best was of handling goods, the railroad traffic dwindled. Cars became plentiful, larger cities sent trucks to pick up cream, haul coal, etc., so the creamery closed down, the Rice store went out of business, coal and lumber business grew less and less, and gradually small town business slowed down.
Businesses changed hands, Peter Willer opened a garage and sold Velie cars. Al Klindt and Chris Madden continued as blacksmiths, selling gasoline and had car agencies. The day of the railroad and horse power was coming to its end, though for some tine the blacksmith and harness shop was still needed. Finally only an occasional train made the trip from Davenport and Maquoketa, the passenger train the first to go, and in the late 1920’s the tracks were torn down from Eldridge north, the right of way was graded and returned to adjoining farms. Also in 1920-21, Brady Street Road, (Highway 61) was paved from the Wapsi River to Davenport, making it possible to reach Davenport in less than an hour by car. By 1912- 1914 almost everyone had a car, and soon after the war tractors began to replace horses for farm work, electric power lines criss-crossed the county reached all the small towns, though most farms had to wait until the 1940’s when the R.E.A. came into existence. Now, all farms have electricity and it is put to many uses.
Residence Section, Long Grove
Long Grove Bank Building
Howard Marriot who had continued for many years to run the post office and general store with the help of Thomas Duffy and Louis Holland, sold his store to Thomas Duffy who in partnership with James Nagle ran the store with Mr. Marriot as postmaster, T. Duffy as assistant until Mr. Marriot retired and Ruth Madden took over. Herman Smith was rural mail carrier, retiring after many years. In 1934 after the bank closed Thomas Duffy bough the bank building and removed the store stock and post office to it. He continued in the store business until after World War II in the late forties, when her retired. At this time the post office was moved to a building across the street.
Mr. Meier and Mr. Underholt had both retired in late teens or early twenties. Thomas McKinney opened a hardware store in the Underholt building where the Community Building now stands, later tore it down and moved the business to the former Meier store. He sold Plymoth cars, International machinery and small hardware. When he retired about 1948 he sold building and house to Arthur Behr.
Woodmen of the World, a fraternal organization, was organized in early 1900 in Long Grove. The Woodmen’s Circle, a womens affiliated group, was organized July 7, 1916. Mrs. Anne Tiedje is the only living charter member of this group, which has been active since its organization.
In the 1940’s a community volunteer fire company was organized to guard against fire damage in town and farm property. A pumper truck and tanker were purchased and housed in a city owned garage. In the 50’s a large new firehouse was built, an emergency vehicle, and equipment was added. Since that time this building has been used as City Hall, a place for Civic Meetings and entertainment.
In 1911 when it became necessary that a town be incorporated if it wished to have a liquor establishment (saloon), now called tavern, the town was re-platted. This was done so that those opposed to liquor would be out side the town limits, and those in favor inside. In recent years, however, the town has annexed property to the southeast and southwest and north, named streets, installed city water system, rebuilt electric lines, acquired natural gas, and is presently engaged in laying a sewer system.
The first mayer of Long Grove was Henry Meier, followed by Chris Marti, Peter Willer, Thomas McKinney, E. H. Anschutz, Andrew Zogg, James Connell, and Charles Loussaert.
HAPPENINGS OF LATE YEARS
Changes have been many in the last ten years, as with most small towns, business and employment has moved to the Quad-Cities, since they are only minutes away by automobile. Our only grocery and general store, owned and operated by Howard Stamer since the late 40’s closed in 1967. At present the only businesses are a filling station, garage and blacksmith shop owned by Cy Cummings; a feed mill in eastern edge of town by Jim Fowler who buys and stares grain and sells feed, seed and fertilizer; two taverns, one owned by Clarence (Mike) Hansen.
In 1965 and 66 Dan Nagle became the fourth Ling Grove citizen elected to the State Legislature. At the age of 28 years he became one of Iowa’s youngest representatives and served on the Democratic ticket.
A new modern school, Alan Shepard, kindergarten though third grade provides primary education for more than 500 children in the North Scott Community School system. The original Long Grove No. 1 school which many of our people attended has been moved into town to be a Civic Center. This is a project of the Long Grove civic League who sponsor many improvements, sponsor many activities for children and other civic affairs.
Twenty six new homes have been built within the last twenty years and the new brick post office building on South 1st Street, built by Charles Loussaert and leased to the S. U. Post Office Dept. Erwin Behr is postmaster and James (Bud) Nagle is the rural mail carrier on one of the longest single routes in Scott County. Mrs. Clyde Madden (Ruth) was postmaster for 32 years before retiring years ago.
The old house which is on the Dora Lege farm was the house built by one of the first settlers, Alexander Brownlie. It was built of blocks of mud mixed with prairie grass and pressed into shape and is quite rare in this area. A log house built by Frederick Arbel in 1837 is on the James Tobin farm just west of Long Grove. It has been donated by Thomas Tobin to the Save Our Landmarks group and is soon to be moved to Scott County Park, three miles east of Long Grove. It is built of heavy logs hewed out with axe and adz, and is on a rock foundation and has a sleeping 10 ft. or attic above the two room cabin. The Thomas Tobin family lived in this house with the addition of a kitchen and two bedrooms.
The Long Grove Civic League was organized I n1960 with the first officers being President – Dan Nagle; Vice-President – Loras Schafer; Secretary – Guy McCubbin; Treasurer – Howard Stamer; and Director - Bert Paulsen. In June 1963, Long Grove celebrated their 125th anniversary with a two day celebration held by the Civic League.
Page created by Lynn McCleary July 12, 2017