Mount Ayr Record-News
Mount Ayr, Ringgold County, Iowa
Thursday, March 06, 2008, Page 12
MARY MARGARET (SANDERS) WAUGH
Mary Margaret (SANDERS) WAUGH was born November 28, 1912 on a farm in Lewis County, Washington. Her parents were Elmer
SANDERS and Emma Maud (OUDERKIRK) SANDERS. Elmer was from the Irena neighborhood in Worth County, Missouri. Emma was
from the Sharpsburg and Maloy areas in Iowa.
Mary grew up in Western Washington, attending elementary school in Onalaska and high school in Chehalis, where she
graduated in the class of 1930. She then took nursesí training for a year at Tacoma General Hospital. Her father
farmed in Lewis County and worked at a lumber mill near Onalaska. Her mother taught at the Forrest School. By 1930,
they owned a farm west of Onalaska, another farm east of Chehalis, and were shareholders in a bank in Chehalis. They
lost their property and holdings in Washington during the financial collapse of the Depression and returned to Worth
County, Missouri in 1932. Later they moved to Ringgold County, Iowa. Mary worked for a time in Redding as household
help for Dr. and Mrs. O. L. FULLERTON, and in Mount Ayr as a clerk at Maylandís Store.
On May 3, 1937, she married Clarence WAUGH. The service was performed by Rev. W. H. WARRIOR at the Methodist Parsonage
in Redding. Three sons, David, Richard, and Gerald were born to this union. Mary and Clarence lived for a time with
his parents, Frank M. and Mary Catherine "Mollie" WAUGH. In 1940, they moved to a farm east of Redding known as the
Henry RILING place, where Clarence worked as a hired man for Howard GUTHRIE. In 1944, they rented the farm south of
the Middle Fork Church known as the Hugh DENNEY place from Bill and Clara JEFFERSON and commenced farming. In 1961,
they purchased the adjoining farm to the north from Claude and Nellie MORRISON and moved there. They were long time
members of the Middle Fork United Methodist Church, where Mary was a pianist and Sunday School Teacher.
She was preceded in death by her parents and her husband Clarence in 1995. In 1996, Mary sold the farm and moved to
senior citizen residences; first in Mount Ayr, then Jefferson and Grundy Center, Iowa and then in St. Paul, Minnesota.
Mary passed away at the Episcopal Church Home in St. Paul on February 25, 2008.
She is survived by her sons David & wife Phoebe of St. Paul, MN, Richard & wife Nancy of West Des Moines, IA, and
Jerry & wife Marcia of West Des Moines, IA. She also leaves eight grandchildren and five great-grandchildren.
Services were held Saturday, March 1, 2008 at 10:30 a.m. from Wilson-Watson & Armstrong Funeral Home in Mount Ayr,
Iowa with the Rev. Susan
Thomas officiating. Organist was Deb Cannon and the musical selections were "Little Brown Church in the Vale" and "Amazing Grace."
Casket bearers were Mike Waugh, Mark Waugh, Jonathon Waugh, John Waugh, Bob Hart and BOyd Waugh.
Honorary pallbearers wer Christina Waugh, William Waugh, Rebecca Waugh, Trisha Pipkins, Jim Martin, Jason Martin and Teri Bowlin.
Mary was ladi at rest in the Middle Fork Cemetery in Redding.
Transcription by Sharon R. Becker, October of 2011