Saturday, December 26, 1992
OBITUARY - REV. LEONARD L. "PAT" PATTERSON
Rev. Leonard L. "Pat" PATTERSON, 88, of Nampa, and formerly of Boise, died Sunday, December 20, 1992, in a Nampa hospital.
Funeral services will be held at 2 p.m. Monday, Dec. 28, at Southminster Presbyterian Church, 6500 Overland Road, Boise.
The Rev. Donald SHRUMM, pastor of the church, will officiate, assisted by the Rev. Jim MOORE of Caldwell and the Rev.
John PICKRELL of Boise. Private family burial will follow later in Parma. Arrangements are under the direction of the
Alsip Funeral Chapel, Nampa.
Rev. PATTERSON was born Nov. 15, 1904, at Knowlton, Iowa, a son of William and Lumma PATTERSON. He married Helen Clara
RANDOLPH on May 12, 1928, at Kearney, Neb. Leonard entered the ministry, and they traveled throughout Nebraska. They
moved to Denver in 1944. In 1949, they moved to Arizona and Phoenix. In 1961, they moved to Fullerton, Calif., where
he continued pastoring.
Rev. PATTERSON retired in 1973, and they moved to the Boise area. They later moved to Nampa to make their home. He and
his wife Helen started a new church in Phoenix, - Orangewood Presbyterian church and one in Boise - Covenant Presbyterian
Church. Mrs. Patterson died Nov. 24, 1992.
He was a member of Boise Southminster Presbyterian Church.
Survivors include a son and daughter-in-law, Dean E. and Linda PATTERSON of Kennewick, Wash.; 10 grandchildren; 10
great-grandchildren; and numerous nieces and nephews. In addition to his wife, he was also preceded in death by a
son, William R. PATTERSON; a daughter, Mary Louise PATTERSON; and a sister, Velma.
The family suggests that memorials may be made to the Boise Southminster Presbyterian Church.
Friends may call Saturday and Sunday from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. at the Alsip Funeral Chapel in Nampa.
NOTE: Helen C. PATTERSON born October 9, 1906 and died on November 24, 1992, in Nampa, Idaho.
Rev. Pat PATTERSON was instrumental in founding Orangewood Church. As the result of a study by representatives of the Board of
National Missions of the Presbyterian Church, a priority was given for the development of a new church in the north
central Phoenix area. A church was needed in this area to serve the Presbyterian people living here. At that time the
site for the new church was more than four miles from the nearest church of our denomination.
Subsequently a call was extended to Rev. and Mrs. Leonard "Pat" PATTERSON. They arrived September 1st, 1953, and the
following week, Rev. PATTERSON, accompanied by Rev. MORTON of the Board of National Missions, began a door-to-door survey
of the district. Services began on September 20th in the PATTERSON home and a few weeks later were transferred to the
Richard C. Simis School. The group was officially organized as a Presbyterian Church on December 13, 1953, with 100
Rev. PATTERSON served Orangewood for 7 1/2 years. In March of 1960 the PATTERSON's left for a new assignment in
To submit your Ringgold County obituaries, contact Sharon R. Becker at
Please include the word "Ringgold" in the subject line. Thank you.
A - B OBITUARIES INDEX
C OBITUARIES INDEX
D OBITUARIES INDEX
E - F - G OBITUARIES INDEX
H - I - J OBITUARIES INDEX
K - L OBITUARIES INDEX
M OBITUARIES INDEX
N - O - P OBITUARIES INDEX
Q - R OBITUARIES INDEX
S - T OBITUARIES INDEX
U - V - W OBITUARIES INDEX
X - Y - Z OBITUARIES INDEX