Visit the USGenWeb Project Website Visit the IAGenWeb Project Website
Return to the Home Page
Contact the Ringgold Cemeteries
Census the Ringgold Counties
 Ringgold County Churches
family pages links to family
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Copyright Statement
History Ringgold County
Ringgold County IAGenWeb History Records Project
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Lookups
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Mailing Lists
Ringgold County Maps IAGenWeb Project
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Messageboards
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Military
Ringgold County IAGenWeb News Clippings
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Obituaries
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Penny Post Cards
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Photographs
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Queries
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Resources
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Resources
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Site Map

This site is supported by
Friends of IAGenWeb

Staff Sergeant William F. SWEENEY


B. Sweeney.jpg
Staff Sergeant William F. SWEENEY

Son of Adeline Francis (SCOTT) SWEENEY and James A. SWEENEY

Purple Heart.jpg Staff Sergeant William F. "Bill" SWEENEY served with the U.S. Army, 377th Infantry Regiment, 95th Infantry Division during World War II. He was killed in action during the Battle of the Bulge on Thursday, November 9, 1944 and interred in Plot J, Row 31, Grave 36 at Lorraine American Cemetery, St. Avold (Moselle), France. S SG William F. SWEENEY was awarded the Purple Heart.

Cemetery.jpg W.F. Sweeney gravestone.jpg







 Lorraine American Cemetery is situated mile north of the town of St. Avold (Moselle), France, on highway N-33. St. Avold. It covers 113.5 acres and is the largest American World War II cemetery in France. Interments are primarily of American soldiers who died in the fall of 1944 during efforts to drive German forces from the fortress city of Metz toward the Seigfried Line and the Rhine River (U.S. 3rd and 7th Army Infantry and Amored Divisions and Cavalry Regiments) and during the Battle of the Bulge. Initially there were over 16,000 American interments in this cemetery. Presently there are a total of 10,489 interments at this cemetery which is administered by the American Battle Monuments Commission.

The memorial, which stands on a plateau to the west of the burial area, contains ceramic operations maps with narratives and service flags. High on its exterior front wall is the large figure of St. Nabor, the martyred Roman soldier overlooking the silent host. On each side of the memorial, and parallel to its front, stretch the Tablets of the Missing on which are inscribed 444 names. Rosettes mark the names of those since recovered and identified. The entire area is surrounded by woodland.

The cemetery is open daily to the public from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. except December 25 and January 1. It is open on host country holidays. When the cemetery is open to the public, a staff member is on duty in the Visitor Building to answer questions and escort relatives to grave and memorial sites.


Contribution by Mrs. Andy (Joyce) Johnston, September of 2008

© Copyright 1996-
Ringgold Co. IAGenWeb Project
All rights Reserved.