Visit the USGenWeb Project Website Visit the IAGenWeb Project Website

 What's New

Coordinator Contact

About Us

Return to the Home Page
Contact the Ringgold Cemeteries
Census the Ringgold Counties
 Ringgold County Churches
family pages links to family
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Copyright Statement
History Ringgold County
Ringgold County IAGenWeb History-Biography Project
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Lookups
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Mailing Lists
Ringgold County Maps IAGenWeb Project
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Messageboards
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Military
Ringgold County IAGenWeb News Clippings
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Obituaries
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Penny Post Cards
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Photographs
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Queries
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Resources
County IAGenWeb Schools
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Site Map
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Surnames
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Front Porch

This site is supported by
Friends of IAGenWeb

powered by FreeFind


  Machinist's Mate Arthur Lynn RUSH of Mount Ayr, Iowa, served during World War II with the U.S. Navy. Machinist's Mate RUSH was K.I.A. during the Battle of Tassafaronga, Guadalcanal, November 20, 1942. The ship "USS Northampton" (CA-26) was torpedoed by the Japanese destroyer "Oyashio" on November 20, 1942, and sank the following day. Machinist's Mate RUSH was survived by his wife, Mrs. Vivian Viola RUSH of Springfield, Missouri.

The painted-on bow wave gave a false impression of the ship's speed

The Battle of Tassafaronga began 40 minutes before midnight on November 30, 1942, when three American destroyers made a surprise torpedo attack on the Japanese. All American ships then opened fire, which the startled enemy did not return for 7 minutes. Two of the American cruisers took torpedo hits within the space of a minute, and 10 minutes later, another was hit, all being forced to retire from the action. "USS Northampton" and "USS Honolulu", with 6 destroyers, continued the fierce action. Close to the end of the engagement, "USS Northampton" was struck by two torpedoes, which tore a huge hole in her port side, ripping away decks and bulkheads. Flaming oil sprayed over the ship; she took on water rapidly and began to list. Three hours later, as she began to sink stern-first, she had to be abandoned. So orderly and controlled was the process that loss of life was surprisingly light, and the survivors were all picked up within an hour by destroyers.


Complilation by Sharon R. Becker, April of 2013

You are our visitor!
Thank You for stopping by!

© Copyright 1996-
Ringgold Co. IAGenWeb Project
All rights Reserved.