Visit the USGenWeb Project Website Visit the IAGenWeb Project Website

 What's New

Coordinator Contact

About Us

Return to the Home Page
Contact the Ringgold Cemeteries
Census the Ringgold Counties
 Ringgold County Churches
family pages links to family
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Copyright Statement
History Ringgold County
Ringgold County IAGenWeb History-Biography Project
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Lookups
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Mailing Lists
Ringgold County Maps IAGenWeb Project
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Messageboards
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Military
Ringgold County IAGenWeb News Clippings
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Obituaries
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Penny Post Cards
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Photographs
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Queries
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Resources
Ringgold 
County IAGenWeb Schools
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Site Map
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Surnames
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Front Porch

This site is supported by
Friends of IAGenWeb
   

powered by FreeFind
 
    

 

TINGLEY POST OFFICE, RINGGOLD COUNTY, IOWA

Tingley Post Office

Tingley's first Post Office was established in what is present-day Sand Creek Township, located in Union County, Iowa. Before the stage route had been established, around the year 1867, Edgar SHELDON and Tingley CORNWALL established this Post Office with a proposal to name it Silver Street. The Post Office Department in Washington, D.C. rejected this name because there was another Silver Street post office within the State of Iowa. When the men decided to use CORNWALL's first name, Tingley, the name was approved.

Tingley CORNWALL, who was a schoolteacher, was the first Postmaster for the Union County site. Edgar SHELDON also served as Postmaster when his residence was a stage stop along the route.

With the arrival of the railroad, the town of Eugene moved 2 miles east and 2/4 miles south to the railhead of Tingley. (The original site of the Tingley Post Office was located three miles north and two miles east of the current site of the town of Tingley.)

Prior to 1948, postmasters were appointed or reappointed with each administration change in Washington D.C. Of all of Tingley's postmasters, Donald R. KINNE had the longest tenure.

Tingley's first rural route was established in 1903 and consisted of 22 miles. Over the years it has been added by extenstion and consolidation with Ellston and Beaconsfield routes to its present length of 117 miles.

1962 Donald R. KINNE in front of the old post office, which was located in the building west of the bank today.

TINGLEY'S POSTMASTERS

    POSTMASTERS     DATE APPOINTED
    Tingley CORNWALL     circa 1867
    Edgar SHELDON     unknown
    George SWAIN     Jul 1882-May 1883
    Mrs. S. E. PEASE     May 1883-Mar 1898
    John HAVER     Mar 1898-Mar 1905
    Howard EDWARDS     Mar 1905-Jul 1934
    Leo WILLIAMS     Aug 1934-Mar 1951
    Clara WILLIAMS
    Officer-In-Charge
    Mar 1951-May 1951
    Donald R. KINNE     appt. May 1951

 

Tingley's first rural mail carrier, Boyd REFFNER, started his route on September 15, 1903. He had 102 boxes along his 22-mile route with 510 patrons. Because cars were not allowed until 1913, Boyd used a span of little mules to pull his mail wagon. Boyd was paid a salary of $50 a month. He resigned in 1908.

 

Jennie LITTLE, Ed STOVER, Hon. Howard EDWARDS

Ed STOVER took over the rural route on June 1, 1908 and carried the mail until January 31, 1921. His salary ran from $864 to $1,728.

 

George BLUNCK was appointed rural mail carrier on June 27, 1921. In 1924 he transferred to rail mail service. Earl ECKERMAN was appointed at temporary rural carrier.

 

 

 

Wayne A. OVERHOLTER, November 17, 1924
Wayne's first day as a Tingley Mail Carrier
with his new 1924 Model T. Ford Roadster

 

Wayne A. OVERHOLTZER served as a rural mail carrier for 38 years, retiring on March 1st of 1962. His final trip was made on February 28, 1962, covering the Tingley and Ellston rural routes. The bundles of mail he is carring was for the Tingley route with about that much more waiting for him at the Ellston Post Office.

 

Kenneth MORROW transferred from Digaonal's route in 1962, retiring on November 30, 1979. John F. OVERHOLTZER, after serving over 25 years as a substitute carrier for Wayne A. OVERHOLTZER and Kenneth MORROW, was appointed as a regular carrier on January 26, 1980. John carried mail for three routes - Tingley, Ellston, and Beaconsfield, which was a total of 110 miles.

SOURCE: Tingley Centennial

Submitted by Sharon R. Becker, 2009


You are our visitor!
Thank You for stopping by!



© Copyright 1996-
Ringgold Co. IAGenWeb Project
All rights Reserved.