Visit the USGenWeb Project Website Visit the IAGenWeb Project Website

 What's New

Coordinator Contact

About Us

Return to the Home Page
Contact the Ringgold Cemeteries
Census the Ringgold Counties
 Ringgold County Churches
family pages links to family
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Copyright Statement
History Ringgold County
Ringgold County IAGenWeb History-Biographies Project
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Lookups
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Mailing Lists
Ringgold County Maps IAGenWeb Project
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Messageboards
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Military
Ringgold County IAGenWeb News Clippings
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Obituaries
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Penny Post Cards
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Photographs
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Queries
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Resources
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Resources
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Site Map
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Surnames
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Front Porch

This site is supported by
Friends of IAGenWeb
   

powered by FreeFind
 
    

Twice-A-Week News
Mount Ayr, Ringgold County, Iowa
Friday June 12, 1896

FOREST HOME.

An Early Settled and Highly Improved Section.

By Edwin BENNETT

Forest Home, so called, is not a town or city by a community of people having a common interest and holding their different society meetings at home rather than go to the surrounding towns to attend preaching services, Sunday school, etc.

This community was formerly known by the inelegant name of "Rooster Bend", and was so called for nearly 30 years; but while as I have said this is not a town we desired to be recognized in the history of Ringgold county as gathered by the NEWS. We believe that we form an important part of the county. Our soil is good and we have a diversity of it, being situated in the valley of west Grand river on the divide between Grand and Platte rivers. Owing to our location we are always sure of plenty of water for our stock, which is quite an object during the dry seasons through which we, in common with all parts of the country, have been passing for a few years. Our pastures are covered with a luxuriant growth of blue grass. We have more timber than we can use for fuel so have a saw-mill at work nearly every winter and in passing through our place one can see plenty of corn cribs, cattle and hog sheds, etc., built from native lumber. The timber on our branches and our artifical groves and orchards, which are numerous, have given us the name of Forest Home.

Among our old settlers we can mention the following, who have lived in the county the number of years indicated: H. T. MILLER, 35 years, who owns a large tract of land, a good house, and the best barn in the county; R. O. DAIN, 30 years, who is at present building a handsome and commodious house; Wm. DIEBERT, 32 years, the owner of "the big orchard on the hill"; Ed POLLEY, 24 years, who has lately built a substantial residence; Ed BENNETT, 30 years, who lives at Forest Home center; Abner LOWDER, 28 years, and Frank SEATON, who owns a farm improved in 1870. Many other good citizens have come in later.

Among our trades carried on here independently of surrounding towns are, one dealer in fruit and nursery stock, one dealer in pumps and mills, etc., one cattle dehorner, one shoe maker. Of the township offices we have our proportion. And last, but not least, nearly every family reads the TWICE-A-WEEK-NEWS.

Transcription by Sharon R. Becker, May of 2010


You are our visitor!
Thank You for stopping by!



© Copyright 1996-
Ringgold Co. IAGenWeb Project
All rights Reserved.