TALES from the FRONT PORCH
Ringgold County's Oral Legend & Memories Project
Osborn LININGER of Lincoln Township owned the first threshing machine in the county. In June of 1862, he tried to get by
without paying taxes on the full value of the cost, which was $600. Because it was not paid for in cash, he had to pay on
the full amount.
Sy CROSLEY is supposed to be the second man to bring a threshing machine into Ringgold County. This
was in 1867. Then, in 1869, Levi TERWILLGER, who with the help of Henry BUNKER, ran it that year. This machine had a
horse-power that had to be tipped off the wagon by tipping the wagon over on one side, then holding the horse-power
utnil the wagon was tipped back and pulled away, and then the power was set down on the ground. This was what they
called a "down power."
The tumbling-rod ran from the horse-power to the separator and was very dangerous as there
was no covering over the knuckles, and it was apt to strip the clothes off a man that stepped over it.
Four or five
span of horses hitched to the horse-power levers furnished the power. They went around and around the horse-power and over
the tumbling-rod at every round. There was no straw carrier to this machine. The straw came out the back end of the
machine and when a pile accumulated, the "bugged it away" with a rail that had a rope tied to each end and a horse
hitched to the center of the rope.
The rail was placed behind the pile of straw and a man stood on the rail and
drove the horse, dragging the straw to the straw stack. The grain ran out into a half-bushel and had to be emptied into
They kep tally of the grain by having pegs in rows of holes in a tally board. There were rows of holes for
one-half bushel, 1 bushel, 100 bushes, and 1,000 bushels, and this tally board was also used for a step to get upon the
The thresher men of today, no doubt, think this a crude machine compared with the threshing machines of
today, but it was far ahead of the old "flail" or tramping out grain with horses or oxen and winnowing the grain in
LESAN, Mrs. B. M. Early History of Ringgold County: 1844 - 1937 p. 59. Blair Pub. House. Lamoni IA. 1937.
Transcription by Sharon R. Becker, May of 2010
To submit your Ringgold County materials,
contact Sharon R. Becker at
Please include the word "Ringgold" in the subject line. Thank you.