from Biography & Historical Record of Ringgold County, Iowa
Lewis Publishing Company of Chicago, 1887, Pp. 387-88
Aaron RUSH , farmer, section 3, Middle Fork Township, was born in Monroe County, Kentucky, December 8, 1826. His
parents were Benjamin and Rachel (SPRINGER) RUSH, the former a native of Virginia, and the latter of South Carolina. They
were married in Kentucky, and reared a family of thirteen children - James, Ezekiel, Martha, William, Dennis, Desire,
Hiram, Joshua, Benjamin, John, Aaron, Rachel and Isaac.
Aaron was reared on a farm, and obtained his education in the common
schools. He was married in September, 1847, to Miss [Nancy Ann] HARMER, born in Monroe County, New York, daughter of John
[Fletcher] and Sarah
In 1849 he removed to Fayette County, Illinois, where he lived four years, thence to McDonough County,
where he resided until the fall of 1865; then came to Ringgold County, locating in Rice Township, where he improved 160
acres of wild land. In 1869 he sold out and purchased his present farm, which had been partially improved. He has 120
acres, consisting largely of rich bottom lands on the west fork of Grand River, and it is one of the best stock farms in
the vicinity. He has a good story-and-a-half residence, out-buildings for stock, a good bearing orchard and small fruits.
Mr. and Mrs. RUSH are the parents of twelve children - James, John, Martha, Siratus M. (sic), Rosetta, Loretta, Josiah Grant,
Ella M., Emma O., Peter, Isaac, Narcissa. The deceased are - Sarah Elizabeth and Thomas Jefferson.
Mr. RUSH has been
a worthy member of the Methodist Episcopal churh for forty years. Politically he is a Republican an a strong
Prohibitionist. Postoffice, Delphos.
NOTE: Benjamin RUSH was born July 16, 1782, and died at the age of 61 years, Monroe County, Kentucky.
Benjamin applied for a veteran's pension on December 8, 1819, stating that "he enlisted in 1777 for two years service
[during the American Revolutionary War], serving on the Western frontier of Virginia where he was serverly wounded and
had been an invalid ever since." Benjamin's petition was granted.
Benjamin married in Barren County, Kentucky, on July 14, 1802 to Rachel SPRINGER, the daughter of Ezekiel and Rebecca
(COLLINS) SPRINGER. Rachel (SPRINGER) RUSH was born April 26, 1786, Union District of South Carolina, and died
March 17, 1874, Monroe County, Kentucky. Benjamin and Rachel (SPRINGER) RUSH were the parents of thirteen children:
1) James C. RUSH, born 18 May 1803, Monroe (Barren) Co. KY
2) Ezekiel RUSH, born 17 Sep 1806, Monroe (Barren) Co. KY
3) Martha (RUSH) THOMPSON, born 03 Sep 1808, Monroe (Barren) Co. KY
4) William RUSH, born 16 May 1811, Monroe (Barren) Co. KY
5) Dennis RUSH, born 27 Mar 1814, Monroe (Barren) Co. KY
6) Desire (RUSH) STEPHENS, born 28 Jun 1816, Monroe (Barren) Co. KY
7) Hiram Casey RUSH, born 23 Sep 1818, Monroe (Barren) Co. KY
8) Joshua K. RUSH, born 10 Dec 1820, Monroe (Barren) Co. KY
9) Benjamin C. RUSH, born 24 Dec 1822, Monroe (Barren) Co. KY
10) John RUSH, born 25 Nov 1824, Monroe (Barren) Co. KY
11) Aaron RUSH
12) Rachel RUSH, born 15 Oct 1829, Monroe (Barren) Co. KY
13) Isaac C. RUSH, born 13 Feb 1832, Monroe (Barren) Co. KY
Aaron RUSH died at the age of 69 years, August 27, 1896, Mount Ayr, Iowa.
Nancy Ann (HAMMER) RUSH was born in Clarke County, Kentucky, on February 10, 1829, and died March 7, 1910, Mount Ayr, Iowa.
Aaron and Nancy were interred at Middle Fork Cemetery, Ringgold County, Iowa. Aaron RUSH and Nancy Ann or Nancy Melvina
(HAMMER) RUSH were the parents of twelve children:
1) James Turner RUSH, born 26 Jul, 1849, Monroe Co. KY; died 08 Nov 1910, Dale OK
2) Sarah Elizabeth RUSH, born 26 Oct 1850, Fayette Co. IL; died 04 Aug 1851, Fayette Co. IL
3) John Robert RUSH, born 08 Jan 1852, Fayette Co. IL' died 25 Nov 1937
4) Thomas Jefferson RUSH, born 30 Nov 1853, McDonough Co. IL; died 11 Nov 1854, McDonough Co.
5) Martha Ann RUSH, born 17, Sep 1855, McDonough Co. IL
married 08 Feb 1872 John Henry MORRIS, born
Child: Lewella MORRIS, born 1874, IA
Child: Carrie MORRIS, born 1876, IA
Child: Corda Bell MORRIS, 05 May 1879, Mount Ayr IA; died 04 Aug 1936, Bellingham WA
married Oliver Miller TAYLOR, born 1875, MO
Child: Alfred MORRIS, born 1880, Polk Co. IA
Child: George MORRIS, born 1882, Polk Co. IA
6) Erastus Marion RUSH, born 23 Feb 1857, McDonough Co. IL; died 16 Feb 1943
7) Rosetta Ann or Alice RUSH, born 03 Jun 1859, McDonough Co. IL; 17 Sep 1895, Mount Ayr IA
married Francis Marion JORDAN
8) Loretta Melvina RUSH, born 04 Oct 1861, McDonough Co. IL; 20 Jun 1941
married John P. JORDAN
9) Josiah Grant RUSH, born 09 Aug 1863, McDonough Co. IL; died 10 Sep 1937, Bakersfield CA
10) Ella Margaret RUSH, born 27 Jul 1865, McDonough Co. IL; died 22 Sep 1932
married Thomas BELLAMY
11) Emma Ana or Ona RUSH, born 17 Nov 1868, Mount Ayr IA; died 01 Aug 1963, Mount Ayr IA
married 10 Jul 1887, Ringgold Co. IA to Alamando A. ELLIOTT (1865-1946)
Child: Gladys Marie (ELLIOTT) KEENAN
born 20 Nov 1901, Ringgold Co. IA; died 15 Nov 1978, Omaha NE
Child: Alice Margueritte (ELLIOTT) TERWILLIGER
born 02 Nov 1907, Ringgold Co. IA; died 07 Jun 1984, Mount Ayr IA
12) Peter R. RUSH, born 09 Aug 1879, Mount Ayr IA; died 04 Jan 1955, Mount Ayr IA
13) Isaac RUSH, born 26 Jun 1872, Mount Ayr IA; died 18 Jul 1944
14) Narcissa M. "Sissy" RUSH, born 15 Dec 1874, Mount Ayr IA: died 31 Aug 1958
married Marion WITHERS
Biography & Historical Record of Ringgold County, Pp. 387-88, 1887.
WPA Graves Survey
Transcription and note by Sharon R. Becker, March of 2009
Biographical Sketches Pages Index: A - F,
G - L,
M - R, S - Z
To submit your Ringgold County biographies, contact Sharon R. Becker at
Please include the word "Ringgold" in the subject line. Thank you.