from Biography & Historical Record of Ringgold County, Iowa
Lewis Publishing Company of Chicago, 1887, Pp. 359-60
Irenus MILLSAP (sic, should be Irenious MILLSAP) farmer, section 18, Clinton Township, is one of the early settlers who has been identified with the
interests of the county for thirty years. He was born in Lawrence County, Indiana, December 29, 1837. His parents were
Bela and Jane (BUNCH) MILLSAP, natives of North Carolina. They reared a family of seven children - G. A., Nancy Ann,
Jane, William, Sophronia, F. A. and Irenus.
Mr. MILLSAP was reared a farmer and was educated in the common schools. In 1856 the family came by team to Madison
County, Iowa, where they spent the winter, and the following spring came to Ringgold County, locating on section 12,
Benton Township, on wild land the father had entered from the Government.
Mr. MILLSAP was married May 21, 1861, to Miss Mary C[atherine]. DENNIS, a native of New Jersey [born circa 1840]. When twelve years of age she came
with her parents, William S. and Nancy (McLEAN) DENNIS, to Taylor County, Iowa.
Mr. MILLSAP settled upon his present farm in 1875, which was then in a wild state. His farm contains ninety-eight acres
of well-cultivated and well-improved land. He has a comfortable house, out-buildings for stock, and orchard and small
Mr. and Mrs. MILLSAP are the parents of eight children - Nancy J[ane]., Elma Alice, Ulysses A., Emma E., Silas W., Angie May,
Sidney C. and Nora Belle.
Mr. MILLSAP is politically a Republican. He has been a member of the Methodist Episcopal church since seven years of age.
Postoffice, Mormontown [present-day Blockton].
NOTE: William Bela "Billy" MILLSAP was born in Green County, Tennessee on January 10, 1797, the son of
Robert MILLSAP (1773 NC - 1842 IN) and Marcia "Massy" (LACY) MILLSAP (1764 VA - 1842 IN). He married first to
Nancy McLEAN. No children were born to his first marriage. He married second July 26, 1821, Lawrence, Indiana, to
Elizabeth McGUYER. Elizabeth was born November 17, 1805 in Ireland, and died on August 14, 1835, Lawrence, Indiana.
William and Elizabeth were the parents of seven children: Nancy Ann (1822 IN - 1908 IA), Gamaliel Armstrong (1824 IN - 1908 IA),
Elizabeth Jane (1825 IN - 1851 IA), William Alfred (1827 IN - 1903 IA), Sophronia (1830 IN - 1906 IA), Flavious Armenus
(1832 IN - 1910 KS), and, J. A. (1835 IN - ?).
William Afred MILLSAP, son of William Bela and his second wife Elizabeth (McGUYER), was born November 10,
1827, Lawrence, Indiana, and died December 13, 1903, Ringgold County, Iowa. He married February 25, 1850, Jackson County,
Indiana to Mildred Willis OGLESBY, who
was born March 11, 1833, Kentucky, and died February 7, 1897, Ringgold County, Iowa. William and Mildred were
interred at Marshalltown Cemetery, Ringgold County, Iowa. William and Mildred were the parents of twelve children:
1) Ferdinand MILLSAP, born circa 1851, Lawrence Co. IN
2) Alonzo P. MILLSAP, born 1852, Lawrence Co. IN; died circa 1860
3) William A. MILLSAP, born circa 1853, McDonough County, IL
4) Elizabeth Maria MILLSAP, born circa 1855, IL or IA; died 19 Mar 1864
interment Platte River Cemetery near Maloy, Ringgold Co. IA
5) Isaac Newton MILLSAP, born circa 1857, Ringgold Co. IA
6) Thomas J. MILLSAP, born Apr 1861, Ringgold Co. IA; died 1932, interment Diagonal IA
7) Amy Ann MILLSAP, born 1862, Ringgold Co. IA
married 04 Dec 1881 William BYERLY, born circa 1860, Ringgold Co. IA
8) Mary Ann MILLSAP, born 06 JUl 1866; died 21 Aug 1945, Mount Ayr, Ringgold Co. IA
interment Benton Cemetery, Ringgold County, IA
9) William Ellsworth MILLSAP, born 1877, Ringgold Co. IA; died 01 Augu 1917, Ringgold Co. IA
interment Marshalltown Cemetery, Ringgold County, IA
10) Willis Alexander MILLSAP, born circ 1868, Ringgold Co. IA; died circa 1870, Ringgold Co. IA
11) Alexander Huggins MILLSAP, born 07 Apr 1870, Benton IA; died 30 Sep 1934, Mount Ayr IA
married Dora THARP, born 26 Sep 1870; died 29 Mar 1946, Clarinda IA
Alexander and Dora interred Marshalltown Cemetery, Ringgold Co. IA
12) Hattie B. MILLSAP, born circa 1872, Benton, Ringgold Co. IA
William Bela MILLSAP married 3rd in Washington, Indiana on February 2, 1837 to Jane BUNCH, pictured at right. Jane was
born circa 1801, Guilford County, North Carolina, and died November 1839, and was interred in Marshalltown Cemetery,
Ringgold County, Iowa. William died August 15, 1855 in Decatur County, Iowa, where he was interred.
Irenious MILLSAP, was born December 29, 1837, Washington, Indiana, and died October 6, 1907. He
was the only child of William Bela and Jane (BUNCH) MILLSAP.
Irenious served with the Southern Iowa Border Miltia during the Civil War. Irenious and his family moved
from Ringgold County, Iowa to western Kansas, residing on a homestead in Hamilton County a number of years.
Irenious died on October 6, 1907, Collinsville, Tulsa County, Oklahoma, and was interred at Ridge Lawn Cemetery
at Collinsville. Of Irenious and Mary Catherine (DENNIS) MILLSAP's eight children:
1) Nancy Jane MILLSAP married Ed CHURCHILL, residence Washington State
2) Elma Alice MILLSAP, born 06 Apr 1866, Ringgold Co. IA; married Michael BUHRER
3) Ulysses Aden MILLSAP, born 11 Dec 1868; died 30 Nov 1934
interment Ridge Lawn Cemetery, Collinsville OK
4) Emma E. MILLSAP, did not marry, born 1871; died 1896
interment Sweeten Cemetery, Inola, Rogers County OK
5) Silas MILLSAP, born 29 Nov 1873; died 02 Sep 1896
interment Sweeten Cemetery, Inola, Rogers County OK
6) Angie May MILLSAP married James TAPP of Oolagah OK
7) Nora BELLE MILLSAP married Mr. SANBURN, Witchita KS
8) Sidney C. "Clemmie" MILLSAP married George McCLAIN of Missouri
Biography & Historical Record of Ringgold County, Iowa, Pp. 359-60, 1887.
CONNELLY, William E., compiler. A Standard History of Kansas and Kansans Vol. 5 p. 155. Lewis Publ. Co. Chicago. 1919.
WPA Graves Survey
Transcription and note by Sharon R. Becker, March of 2009
Biographical Sketches Pages Index: A - F,
G - L,
M - R, S - Z
To submit your Ringgold County biographies, contact Sharon R. Becker at
Please include the word "Ringgold" in the subject line. Thank you.