Ringgold County Biographical Sketches
Biographical and Historical Record of Ringgold and Decatur Counties, Iowa
Lewis Publishing Company, 1887. pp. 245 - 246.
"Harvey WAUGH, farmer, section 29, Middle Fork Township, is one of the early pioneers of Ringgold County, having been identified with its interests for more than thirty-one years. He is a native of Sugar Creek, Montgomery County, Indiana, where he was born April 10, 1834.
His parents were Milo and Elizabeth (Kions) Waugh, the former a native of Ross County, Ohio, and the latter of Fayette County, same State. They reared a family of ten children -- Martha, Joseph, Harvey, Milton B., Margaret, Maletious A., Mary Jane, Melissa, William and Alice. Harvey was reared on a farm and obtained his education in the common schools of that day.
At the age of fifteen years he made a full hand working on the railroad.
August 7, 1853, he was united in marriage with Miss Nancy Bishop, who was born in Fountain County, Indiana, and daughter of John R. And Susan (Dunbar) Bishop, who were natives of Pennsylvania, and married in Ohio. They were the parents of three children -- Elizabeth, Nancy and John R.
October 3, 1854, Mr. Waugh, with his wife and one child, started for Iowa, leaving the family in McDonough County, Illinois, for a time; he came on horseback to find a location for the winter, and decided upon Lucas County.
In November, 1854, he entered 147 acres of land in Ringgold County, purchasing the claim of M. R. Brown, the first clerk of the county. The following spring he settled with his family in his new home. There was a log house on the place, 14 x 16 feet, with puncheon floor, clapboard roof, stick chimney, and four acres under cultivation. He remained here one year, then removed one-half mile east, where he had entered more land and built another log house. Here he remained twelve years, and then removed to his present home. Their hewed-log house they first occupied still stands in the yard as a relic of pioneers days.
During the first year Mr. Waugh took an active part in what was known as the Indian war. In 1861 a company was organized as State Home Guards, and Mr. Waugh was elected First Lieutenant. He held the position creditably two years, and then resigned.
Since 1854 he has added to his farm from time to time until the Waugh farm contains 1,300 acres of land, in a good state of cultivation and well improved. He has a fine two-story residence, built in modern style, and well furnished, a good orchard of large and small fruits, and a commodious barn, 40 x 40 feet. He is engaged principally in stock-raising and feeding.
Mr. and Mrs. Waugh have seven children living -- Sarah Alice, James H., Martha Elizabeth, Mary Susan, Charles M., Flora Belle and M. Willard.
Lewis B., the first born of the family, was born in Indiana, and died at the age of twenty-eight years, leaving a wife and three children -- Minnie M., Clyde and Bert M.
Mr. Waugh has served as justice of the peace, township trustee, member of the School Board, and treasurer of the Methodist Episcopal church organization. He belongs to the Mason order, Mount Ayr Lodge, No,. 179. He has always taken an active interest in any enterprise pertaining to religion or education.
In 1875 he was appointed post-master at Clipper. Politically he is a Republican. Postoffice, Clipper."
Submitted to the Ringgold County IAGenWeb Project by Christy Jay, email:
A - F BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX
G - L BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX
M - R BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX
S - Z BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX