Visit the USGenWeb Project Website Visit the IAGenWeb Project Website
Return to the Home Page
Contact the Ringgold Cemeteries
Census the Ringgold Counties
 Ringgold County Churches
family pages links to family
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Copyright Statement
History Ringgold County
Ringgold County IAGenWeb History Records Project
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Lookups
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Mailing Lists
Ringgold County Maps IAGenWeb Project
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Messageboards
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Military
Ringgold County IAGenWeb News Clippings
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Obituaries
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Penny Post Cards
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Photographs
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Queries
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Resources
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Resources
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Site Map

This site is supported by
Friends of IAGenWeb

Ringgold County Biographical Sketches

Biographical and Historical Record of Ringgold and Decatur Counties, Iowa
Lewis Publishing Company, 1887. pp. 299 - 300.

HENRY C. SHELDON

Henry C. SHELDON is a native of Ringgold County, Iowa, born on the old homestead of his father, in Tingley Township, February 25, 1860, the third son of Edgar and Matilda Sheldon, the father a native of Portage County, Ohio, and the mother of Pennsylvania. His father was a school-teacher, and followed his profession through the Southern States a number of years before coming West. He was one of the first settlers of Tingley Township, and is the only one left of the first-comers.

The parents of our subject had a family of eight sons, of whom seven yet survive. The mother died in 1883, while on a visit to her son, N. R. Sheldon, of Colorado. Henry C. Sheldon, the subject of this sketch, was reared on the home farm, and educated in the district schools of this county and at the high school at Afton, where he attended one term. On attaining his majority he began farming on his own account and has since been engaged in agricultural pursuits.

He was married in his twenty-second year to Miss Mattie McCartney, of Union County, Iowa, a daughter of James and Elizabeth M. McCartney. They have had born to them two children Kent, and an infant yet unnamed.

After his marriage, Mr. Sheldon settled on the old homestead of his father, on section 2, Tingley Township, which contains 160 acres of well-improved land, under a high state of cultivation, and for several years was engaged in buying and selling stock, and later turned his attention to raising cattle, and has at present a number of thorough-bred of a high grade.

He also has an interest in a fine Percheron stallion, imported by Dunham, of Oak Lawn, DuPage County, Illinois, which was purchased in 1885. In May, 1886, he established a cheese factory. His father established the first cheese factory in Southwestern Iowa, twenty-nine years ago.

Submitted to the Ringgold County IAGenWeb Project by Christy Jay, email: Jaygenie@aol.com

BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX

A - F BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX

G - L BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX

M - R BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX

S - Z BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX




© Copyright 1996-
Ringgold Co. IAGenWeb Project
All rights Reserved.