Visit the USGenWeb Project Website Visit the IAGenWeb Project Website
Return to the Home Page
Contact the Ringgold Cemeteries
Census the Ringgold Counties
 Ringgold County Churches
family pages links to family
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Copyright Statement
History Ringgold County
Ringgold County IAGenWeb History Records Project
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Lookups
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Mailing Lists
Ringgold County Maps IAGenWeb Project
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Messageboards
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Military
Ringgold County IAGenWeb News Clippings
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Obituaries
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Penny Post Cards
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Photographs
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Queries
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Resources
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Resources
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Site Map

This site is supported by
Friends of IAGenWeb

Ringgold County Biographical Sketches

Biographical and Historical Record of Ringgold and Decatur Counties, Iowa
Lewis Publishing Company, 1887. pp. 392.

W. A. MILLSAP

civil war flags.jpg "W. A. MILLSAP, section 12, Benton Township, is one of the pioneers of Ringgold County. He is a native of Lawrence County, Indiana, born November 10, 1827, son of Bela and Elizabeth (McGuire) Millsap. He was the fourth of six children. His early life was spent on the farm and attending the common schools. In 1853 he removed to McDonough County, Illinois, where he resided two years, and in the spring of 1855 came to Ringgold County, and settled on section 5, Rice Township, where he built a log house. This house is now used by a family for a residence.

He remained on this farm four or five years, then removed to Marshalltown, in Rice Township, and resided until 1866.

During the Rebellion he went forth in defense of his country, enlisting August 9, 1862, in Company G, Twenty-ninth Iowa Infantry, and was in the service three years. He was in the battles of Helena, capture of Little Rock, and was in General Steele's Camden expedition, where the regiment was engaged thirty-seven days in fighting. He was honorably discharged at Davenport in August, 1865, and returned to his home. In 1866 he removed to section 12, upon his father's old homestead, where he resided about eight years. In 1874 he came to his present home, where he has since resided.

His farm contains 167 acres of land in a high state of cultivation and well improved. He has a comfortable story-and-a-half residence, an orchard of four acres - one of the best in the township - a barn and out-buildings for stock, and is engaged in general farming, stock-raising and feeding.

He is a Republican and has served as coroner two years, member of the School Board, and is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church; has served as class-leader and steward about fifteen years.

Mr. Millsap was married to Miss Oglesby, a native of Kentucky, and reared in Indiana. They are the parents of eight children - Elizabeth M., Isaac M., Thomas J., Anna A., Mary Ann and William E. (twins), Alexander H. and Hattie B. Ferdinand, Alonzo P. and Willie A. are deceased."

Submitted to the Ringgold County IAGenWeb Project by Christy Jay, email: Jaygenie@aol.com

BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX

A - F BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX

G - L BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX

M - R BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX

S - Z BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX




© Copyright 1996-
Ringgold Co. IAGenWeb Project
All rights Reserved.