Visit the USGenWeb Project Website Visit the IAGenWeb Project Website
Return to the Home Page
Contact the Ringgold Cemeteries
Census the Ringgold Counties
 Ringgold County Churches
family pages links to family
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Copyright Statement
History Ringgold County
Ringgold County IAGenWeb History Records Project
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Lookups
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Mailing Lists
Ringgold County Maps IAGenWeb Project
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Messageboards
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Military
Ringgold County IAGenWeb News Clippings
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Obituaries
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Penny Post Cards
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Photographs
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Queries
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Resources
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Resources
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Site Map

This site is supported by
Friends of IAGenWeb

Ringgold County Biographical Sketches

Biographical and Historical Record of Ringgold and Decatur Counties, Iowa
Lewis Publishing Company, 1887. pp. 339 - 340.

J. O. MILLER

J. O. MILLER, postmaster and proprietor of Miller’s Store, was born in Cumberland County, Pennsylvania, October 14, 1851. His parents, Thomas C. and Martha (McCullough) Miller, reared four children – Laura, J. O., Anna and Maggie Etta. When he was three years of age his parents removed to Carthage, Hancock County, Illinois, where he was reared, and obtained his education at the district school and at Carthage graded school.

He was married December 26, 1872, to Miss Josephine Spangler, of Hancock County, daughter of William and Emily Spangler, and they have six children – William H., Martha, Mary, Eva, Maggie, Fred and an infant unnamed.

Mr. Miller came to Ringgold County in the spring of 1873, and located on section 9, Monroe Township. He has 160 acres of land, which he has cultivated and improved, a comfortable residence, barn, orchard, out-buildings for stock, and everything about the place shows the industry and thrift of its owner.

In the spring of 1886 he purchased the store building, goods and residence where he now lives, of George W. Bradford. He carries a good assortment of general merchandise, and keeps in stock everything usually kept in a country store.

He was appointed postmaster July 8, 1886. He served as township trustee five years; is a member of the Presbyterian organization at High point, and politically is a Republican. Although a young man, he has gained a social and financial position among the leading citizens of his township.”

Submitted to the Ringgold County IAGenWeb Project by Christy Jay, email: Jaygenie@aol.com

BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX

A - F BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX

G - L BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX

M - R BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX

S - Z BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX




© Copyright 1996-
Ringgold Co. IAGenWeb Project
All rights Reserved.