Visit the USGenWeb Project Website Visit the IAGenWeb Project Website
Return to the Home Page
Contact the Ringgold Cemeteries
Census the Ringgold Counties
 Ringgold County Churches
family pages links to family
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Copyright Statement
History Ringgold County
Ringgold County IAGenWeb History Records Project
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Lookups
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Mailing Lists
Ringgold County Maps IAGenWeb Project
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Messageboards
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Military
Ringgold County IAGenWeb News Clippings
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Obituaries
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Penny Post Cards
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Photographs
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Queries
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Resources
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Resources
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Site Map

This site is supported by
Friends of IAGenWeb

Ringgold County Biographical Sketches

Biographical and Historical Record of Ringgold and Decatur Counties, Iowa
Lewis Publishing Company, 1887. pp. 320 - 321.

PETER MERRITT

"Peter MERRITT, farmer, section 21, Athens Township, has been identified with the interests of Ringgold County for thirty years. He was born in Belmont County, Ohio, November 4, 1828, son of William J. Merritt, whose sketch appears on another page of this history. When he was two years old his parents removed to Morgan County, Ohio, where he resided until nineteen years of age. His early life was spent at farm work. He received a limited education in the subscription schools of the back woods. In 1847 the family removed to Jackson.

February 23, 1850, Mr. Merritt was married to Miss Minerva J. Skinner, born in Perry County, Ohio, daughter of Charity and Samuel Skinner. In 1853, accompanied by wife and one child, he came to Iowa by team. His father and a brother-in-law named Foster came with them. The first winter was passed in Washington.

In 1854 he removed to Marion County where he resided until the spring of 1855, when he located in Athens Township, on 120 acres of Government land, entered the fall before, built a log cabin, 12 x 14, with puncheon floor, and clapboard roof. He afterward removed to section 27, where he resided until 1879, when he sold out and re-purchased the old homestead, known as Merritt Station, which he still owns. The farm contains eighty acres, well cultivated. He has a fine residence, 16 x 24, with L 14 x 16, built in 1880. He also owns eighty acres on section 21, with good house and orchard, 160 acres on section 27, well improved, making in all 377 acres.

Politically he is a Democrat. They have one daughter, Martha, wife of C. H. Lewis, of Athens Township. Mr. Merritt started in life without means, but by good management he has acquired a good property. He is classed among the leading citizens of Ringgold County."

Submitted to the Ringgold County IAGenWeb Project by Christy Jay, email: Jaygenie@aol.com)

BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX

A - F BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX

G - L BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX

M - R BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX

S - Z BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX




© Copyright 1996-
Ringgold Co. IAGenWeb Project
All rights Reserved.