Ringgold County Biographical Sketches
Biographical and Historical Record of Ringgold and Decatur Counties, Iowa
Lewis Publishing Company, 1887. pp. 312 - 313.
"Asher LORIMOR, one of the oldest settlers and most respected citizens of Liberty Township, is a native of Washington County, Pennsylvania, born May 3, 1821, a son of Benjamin and Eleanor (Sayres) Lorimor, the father born in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, and the mother a native of New Jersey.
Our subject was twelve years old when he accompanied his parents to Ohio, and at the age of sixteen years settled in Guernsey County, where he lived with his parents for nine years. The parents then removed with their family to Washington County, Ohio, where they located on a farm. Asher Lorimor was married in Washington County, Ohio, May 6, 1847, to Miss Janet A.
Breckenridge, and after his marriage settled on a farm in Washington County, Ohio, which he cleared and improved, living there till 1855, when he came to Iowa.
He entered a quarter-section of land in Liberty Township, Ringgold County, having left his family in Madison County, Iowa, where he had rented land. After entering his land he went to Madison County, Iowa, and soon after met with an accident, breaking a bone of his leg in two places, which disabled him till the following spring, when he removed with his family to Ringgold County, and settled in their new home in Liberty Township, where Mr. Lorimor built a small log house, 16 x 16 feet in size, where the family spent twelve years.
Their humble dwelling was a favorite stopping place for travelers, it being frequently filled to its utmost capacity. Their only neighbor at the time of their coming to Liberty Township was Samuel Powers, who lived some two miles distant. The following year, 1857, Rufus Cavitt located about one and a half miles from Mr. Lorimor's home, and two years later came several others who settled in Jefferson Township.
Mr. Lorimor lived on his farm ten years before his fence was joined by a neighbor. He followed stock-raising in connection with his general farming, the surrounding prairie being used by all for grazing purposes.
Mr. Lorimor lost his wife in March, 1878, who left at her death nine children - Jane, wife of John Richards; Benjamin; Nancy, wife of Irvin Brent; John; Anna E., married Hampton Hargrove; Robert, Milton, Maria, and Sarah, wife of Henry Wheeler.
Mr. Lorimor's second wife died about one year after her marriage, and in December, 1882, he was again married to Miss Ella Hamilton, a native of Pennsylvania. Mr. Lorimor, by his industrious habits and excellent management, has prospered in his agricultural pursuits, and after having divided some 200 acres of land among his older children he still has 367 acres left, having reserved a competency for his old age.
Mr. Lorimor has been a member of the United Presbyterian church since twenty-six years of age, and for many years has served as trustee and elder. He attends the church of his denomination at Tingley.
He circulated the first petition for a school in his part of Ringgold County, the first school there being taught by his sister, Elizabeth, who afterward became the wife of David Preston.
Mr. Lorimor has been elected four times to the office of justice of the peace, but in each case has refused to qualify. He was elected township supervisor under the old law, and was re-elected for a second term of one year when the law was changed. He then served as township trustee for some time, and is again holding the latter office with credit to himself and his constituents."
Submitted to the Ringgold County IAGenWeb Project by Christy Jay, email:
A - F BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX
G - L BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX
M - R BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX
S - Z BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX