Visit the USGenWeb Project Website Visit the IAGenWeb Project Website
Return to the Home Page
Contact the Ringgold Cemeteries
Census the Ringgold Counties
 Ringgold County Churches
family pages links to family
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Copyright Statement
History Ringgold County
Ringgold County IAGenWeb History Records Project
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Lookups
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Mailing Lists
Ringgold County Maps IAGenWeb Project
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Messageboards
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Military
Ringgold County IAGenWeb News Clippings
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Obituaries
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Penny Post Cards
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Photographs
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Queries
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Resources
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Resources
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Site Map

This site is supported by
Friends of IAGenWeb

Ringgold County Biographical Sketches

Biographical and Historical Record of Ringgold and Decatur Counties, Iowa
Lewis Publishing Company, 1887. p. 348.

S. W. FITTRO

"S. W. FITTRO, farmer, section 11, Athens Township, was born in Licking County, Ohio, April 3, 1830, son of Samuel and Hannah (Webb) Fittro, the former a native of York County, Pennsylvania. They were the parents of eight children - Betsey, Joseph, Mary Ann, Rebecca, Catherine, Samuel, Rosilla and John.

The family removed to Licking County about the year 1822, and were among the early settlers of that county. Mr. Fittro passed his early life assisting at farm work and attending the subscription schools in log school-houses. In 1842 the family removed to Louisa County this State, where our subject lived until he reached his majority.

He was married August 27, 1853, to Miss Betsey Ireland, born in Bartholomew County, Indiana, and daughter of William and Catherine Ireland.

In 1855 he came to Decatur County, locating three miles north of Leon, where he resided three years, then sold and removed to section 25, where he lived until 1877; then sold and removed to Athens Township, where he purchased 400 acres of land, a portion of which is now included in the town plat of Kellerton, having, in 1879, sold eighty acres to one Perkins for town lots in the northern part of the town. His home farm contains 240 acres of land, well cultivated and well improved. He has a fine residence, one and a half stories high, 16 x 26 feet, with L, 24 x 26 feet, a commodious barn 32 x 44 feet, and an orchard of 300 trees and small fruits. He is engaged in stock-raising and feeding.

Mrs. Fittro died March 19, 1864, leaving one child - Alice.

In October, 1864, he married Susan West, of Decatur County, who died in a few months.

March 25, 1866, he was married to Mrs. Sarah McCartney, nee Burkett, widow of J. McCartney. She was born in Putnam County, Indiana. They have three children - Chester, Charles and Ernest.

Mr. Fittro's farm adjoins the town plat of Kellerton, and is considered one of the most valuable farms in the Township.

Politically he is a Democrat. Postoffice, Kellerton."

Submitted to the Ringgold County IAGenWeb Project by Christy Jay, email: Jaygenie@aol.com

BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX

A - F BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX

G - L BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX

M - R BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX

S - Z BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX




© Copyright 1996-
Ringgold Co. IAGenWeb Project
All rights Reserved.