Ringgold County Biographical Sketches
Biographical and Historical Record of Ringgold and Decatur Counties, Iowa
Lewis Publishing Company, 1887. p. 280.
JOHN R. HENDERSON
"JOHN R. HENDERSON, one of the enterprising
business men of Mt. Ayr, is a native of Ohio, born in
Guernsey County, February 8, 1837, a son of Ebenezer and
Jane (Lee) Henderson, both natives of Washington County,
Pennsylvania, the father born in 1810, and the mother
in 1812. They were among the early settlers of Ohio, and
were residents of Guernsey County until 1849, when they
removed to Adams County, Ohio. They subsequently settled
in Mercer County, Illinois, where they lived till their
death. They were the parents of eleven children, of whom
five sons and three daughters lived to maturity.
John R. our subject, was the fourth child
in his father's family. His education was obtained in
the district schools which he attended during his spare
time while not working on the farm. He remained with his
parents till twenty-three years of age, and was married
October 10, 1861, to Miss Elizabeth L. Leslie, of Henderson
County, Illinois. They are the parents of two children
-- Etta L., wife of G. H. Herrington, of Nebraska, and
Eddie H. After his marriage Mr. Henderson settled in Mercer
County, Illinois, where he engaged in farming.
In 1862 he enlisted in the late war, in
Company C, Thirty-sixth Illinois Infantry, and joined
his regiment in Kentucky. He participated in the battles
of Stone River, Chickamauga and Missionary Ridge when
he was placed on detached duty. He was in the Atlanta
campaign and in front of General Hood's army. He then
went to Huntsville, Alabama, thence to Knoxville, Tennessee,
where he was mustered out June 17, 1865.
After being honorably discharged, he returned
to his farm in Mercer County, Illinois, and in the fall
of 1865, removed to Marshall County, Iowa, and shortly
afterward settled in Centre View, Johnson County, Missouri.
In 1869 he removed to Mt. Ayr, Ringgold County, Iowa,
and in 1874 was elected Sheriff of Ringgold County, which
office he resigned after filling it for sixteen months,
and in the following fall engaged in his present grocery
business, in which he is meeting with good success.
He is also engaged in dealing in stock,
and is the owner of a fine farm of 160 acres, located
in Jefferson Township. Both Mr. and Mrs. Henderson are
members of the United Presbyterian church."
Submitted to the Ringgold County IAGenWeb Project by Christy Jay, email:
A - F BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX
G - L BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX
M - R BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX
S - Z BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX