Visit the USGenWeb Project Website Visit the IAGenWeb Project Website
Return to the Home Page
Contact the Ringgold Cemeteries
Census the Ringgold Counties
 Ringgold County Churches
family pages links to family
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Copyright Statement
History Ringgold County
Ringgold County IAGenWeb History Records Project
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Lookups
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Mailing Lists
Ringgold County Maps IAGenWeb Project
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Messageboards
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Military
Ringgold County IAGenWeb News Clippings
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Obituaries
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Penny Post Cards
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Photographs
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Queries
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Resources
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Resources
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Site Map

This site is supported by
Friends of IAGenWeb

Ringgold County Biographical Sketches

Biographical and Historical Record of Ringgold and Decatur Counties, Iowa
Lewis Publishing Company, 1887. pp. 583-84.

GEORGE T. YOUNG

"GEORGE T. YOUNG, merchant, Leon, Iowa, is one of the pioneers of Decatur County, locating at Leon May 5, 1855. Judge W. W. Ellis and I. N. Clarke are the only residents of Leon who were there at that time. He had been a teacher in his native State, Ohio, and thinking the West offered better inducements for a young man, determined to emigrate, his objective point being Southwestern Iowa, his desire being to go as far south as he could and remain in a free State. When he reached Leon his funds were exhausted, and he was obliged to stop and look about for means to replenish them. Being a Mason he called on Dr. S. C. Thompson, who assisted him to obtain employment. The recorder of the county offered him his board for assistance in the office. At this time there had been no school taught in the county, and through the influence of Dr. Thompson one was started, and Mr. Young was employed as teacher. In the fall of 1855 he was employed as clerk for Cleveland & Winn, and in 1856 was elected clerk of the courts, a position he held three terms of two years each. Before the expiration of his last term of office, in the fall of 1862, he formed a partnership, and engaged in the mercantile business at Mt. Ayr, the firm being Richards & Young, which continued until the fall of 1876. In the spring of 1878 he returned to Leon, where he has since lived. Mr. Young was married December 23, 1858, to Hattie A. Patterson, who was born in Washington County, Pennsylvania, October 19, 1840, daughter of Robert Patterson, who settled in Leon in 1857. To them were born four children -- Helen, Lulu, Willard and Edith. Mrs. Young died March 1, 1885. Mr. Young is a member of the Presbyterian church, and for ten years was superintendent of the Sunday-school. He is a Knight Templar Mason."

Submitted to the Ringgold County IAGenWeb Project by Christy Jay, email: Jaygenie@aol.com

BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX

A - F BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX

G - L BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX

M - R BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX

S - Z BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX




© Copyright 1996-
Ringgold Co. IAGenWeb Project
All rights Reserved.