Visit the USGenWeb Project Website Visit the IAGenWeb Project Website
Return to the Home Page
Contact the Ringgold Cemeteries
Census the Ringgold Counties
 Ringgold County Churches
family pages links to family
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Copyright Statement
History Ringgold County
Ringgold County IAGenWeb History Records Project
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Lookups
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Mailing Lists
Ringgold County Maps IAGenWeb Project
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Messageboards
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Military
Ringgold County IAGenWeb News Clippings
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Obituaries
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Penny Post Cards
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Photographs
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Queries
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Resources
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Resources
Ringgold County IAGenWeb Site Map

This site is supported by
Friends of IAGenWeb

Ringgold County Biographical Sketches

Biographical and Historical Record of Ringgold and Decatur Counties, Iowa
Lewis Publishing Company, 1887. pp. 598-99.

ALEXIS M. JACKSON

"ALEXIS M. JACKSON, a retired farmer of Bloomington Township, and a well-known citizen of Decatur County, was born July 5, 1827, in Boone County, Indiana, his father Edward Jackson, being one of the first settlers on Eagle Creek, near the Boone County line. He was married to Nancy Lane, on the homestead of her father, Jesse Lane, and them were born seven children -- Alexis M., our subject, the eldest child; Ann, wife of John Scott, of Kellerton; Jesse; Sarah Catherine, deceased; William Perry, deceased; James Marion, deceased, and Elizabeth Amanda. Alexis M. Jackson lived in Boone County till fourteen years of age, when he removed with his parents to the Indian Reserve, now Tipton County, Indiana, where he remained till 1855. He was reared to agricultural pursuits, and in his youth attended the common schools. He was united in marriage April 3, 1855, to Margaret E. Williams, who was born and reared in Benton County, Indiana. To this union were born two children -- Calvin H. and an infant unnamed, both deceased. Mrs. Jackson is also deceased, her death being caused by the bite of a rattlesnake. Mr. Jackson lived in Benton County from 1855 till 1860, when he returned to Tipton Count, and for a time lived in Indianapolis, dealing in real estate and buying horses for the United States Government. After the close of the war he came to Decatur County, buying his father's homestead in Bloomington Township, which the latter had entered from the Government and improved. His farm contains 260 acres, and is under the best of cultivation, with comfortable residence and commodious and convenient barn, and an excellent orchard containing 200 trees. His farm adjoins the village of Tuskeega, and is divided into four fields. The town plant of the village was once a part of his farm. Besides this farm Mr. Jackson also owns 160 acres of improved land on section 27, Bloomington Township, and eighty acres of land in Ringgold County used as pasture, besides fifty acres of timber land. He also owns considerable property in Tuskeega. He has retired from the active duties of life, his time being mostly devoted to looking after his property. All his property has been acquired by years of industry, together with good business management, he having commenced on his own account without means, and by his fair and honorable dealings in all business transactions he has secured the confidence and esteem of those who know him. He has been an earnest member of the Methodist Episcopal church for over thirty yeas. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity."

Submitted to the Ringgold County IAGenWeb Project by Christy Jay, email: Jaygenie@aol.com

BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX

A - F BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX

G - L BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX

M - R BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX

S - Z BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX




© Copyright 1996-
Ringgold Co. IAGenWeb Project
All rights Reserved.