- The earliest known newspaper was the FRONTIER
GUARDIAN established by Orson Hyde, in Kanesville (Council Bluffs)
in 1849, and mainly served the then Mormon population. The first issue
was printed February 7, 1849, and consisted mainly of Church news.
Apostle Orson Hyde presided over the approximately 40 Church branches
in the area from 1848 to 1852, after the main body of the Mormons had
moved on to Salt Lake. The Guardian was absorbed by the Bugle (see item
2) in 1852, with the departure of Apostle Hyde and more devoted Mormons
to Salt Lake.
- In 1850, Almon W. Babbitt, an elder of the
Mormon Church, and a Democrat, formed the WEEKLY WESTERN BUGLE
in opposition to the Frontier Guardian. The motto of the Bugle was
"Truth, tho' crushed, shall rise again." In 1852, the Bugle absorbed
the Frontier Guardian and became the WEEKLY WESTERN BUGLE AND
FRONTIER GUARDIAN. About 1870, the paper changed ownership to
Joseph E. Johnson (an elder in the Mormon church) and L.O. Littlefield
(a layman printer) and became the WEEKLY COUNCIL BLUFFS BUGLE.
- W.W. Maynard established the COUNCIL
BLUFFS CHRONOTYPE in 1854, which was later discontinued.
- In 1855, A.P. Bentley opened the DEMOCRAT
CLARION, which was later discontinued.
- The WEEKLY NONPAREIL was established
in 1857 by Maynard and Long. During the Civil War, the paper was
changed to a daily publication and continues to the present day in
Council Bluffs, Iowa.
- The HERALD was established in 1868 and
offered daily and weekly publications; it was still operating in 1888.
During the early 1880's, the EVENING HERALD was launched by
S.T. Walker (President), F.E. Spencer (secretary/editor), and R.E.
Ingram (treasurer). This was a prohibition paper, and after a short
run, was succeeded by the INDEPENDENT REPUBLICAN from 1885-88,
edited by H.W. Linchard. This was then succeeded by the EAGLE,
with W.R. Vaughan, proprietor, who, after a short trial here, took it
to Omaha, where it was finally closed out by the sheriff.
- The COUNCIL BLUFFS TIMES was started
in 1870 and lasted only about one year, apparently closing down due to
competition from the Nonpareil.
- In 1871, the Globe was established by S.W.
Morehead, and the following year, Jacob Williams became editor. The COUNCIL
BLUFFS GLOBE was printed daily and weekly and was operating in 1888
as a Democratic organ.
- Also operating in 1888 in Council Bluffs was
the FREI PRESSE, published by F.G. Pfeiffer which was
apparently a German language newspaper. The paper was started by W.T.
Giles and it was eventually purchased by F.S. Pfeiffer, who came from
Oregon with his family in 1879. He continued to publish the paper until
his death July 16, 1899. Alise Becker was the editor/proprietor in 1907.
- The INLAND CHRISTIAN ADVOCATE was
published by Rev. Joseph Knotts in Council Bluffs for a short time.
This was a Methodist paper.
- In Crescent City, Iowa, a newspaper was
started about 1857 called the ROCK BOTTOM. It was short-lived
and was mainly a tool to encourage the building of a railroad route
through Crescent City. When that failed, the newspaper was disbanded.
- Also in Crescent City, Joseph E. Johnson
started the CRESCENT CITY ORACLE. When the prosperity of
Crescent waned and the railroad was routed through Council Bluffs, the
newspaper was discontinued.
- At Big Grove (now Oakland), a newspaper,
THE ACORN, was started by John C.
McMannima and John G. Julian on May 1, 1881. The first issue was dated
May 5 of the same year; and in August following, A.M. Lewis became
editor and proprietor, and on the 1st of March 1882, A.M. Lewis sold to
A.T. Cox. This has been an independent newspaper, working for the
interest of the town and surrounding country.
- At Avoca, Knox Township, THE AVOCA DELTA,
a republican weekly, was established by Thomas Ledwick and C.V.
Gardner, the first paper appearing January 1, 1870. One side was
printed in Chicago and the other at the office of the Harlan Herald at
Harlan, Iowa. August 1, 1870, the paper became the property of J.C.
Adams. In 1873, the office was destroyed by fire, but the citzens of
Avoca raised $550 and donated it to Mr. Adams to resume publication.
The paper was enlarged from a six to a seven column folio and in 14
days from the day of the fire, it reappeared.
- At Avoca, THE AVOCA HERALD, a
democratic weekly, was established by A.P. Cramer in August 1880.
- At Carson, the CARSON CRITIC was
formed about 1885. It was a weekly newspaper, with F.G. Week editor and
- The WALNUT NEWS was established in the
town of Walnut in 1878 by A.O. Cramer and edited by Dan Cramer, brother
of the proprietor.
- In Minden, Iowa, the MINDEN TIMES HERALD,
a weekly paper, was operating in 1907.
- In Neola, Iowa, the newspaper, NEOLA
TRIBUNE, was edited by E.P. Innes and was operating in 1883 not
long after the town received its charter. As of 1907, the only paper
operating in Neola was the NEOLA GAZETTE-REPORTER, L.G.
"Early Days at Council Bluffs," by Charles H. Babbitt, copyright
1916; 1891 "Biographical History of Pottawattamie County Iowa"
by the Lewis Publishing Company; and 1885 Atlas of Pottawattamie