ANNIS, J. K.
Farmer, P. O.
Taylor Station, was born in the State of Maine in 1835. Before he was a
year old, his parents moved to Knox County, Ill., and that was his home
till he came to Iowa in 1871. The first two years he lived in Mills
County, and then came into Pottawattamie County, living one year in
Hardin Township, and since that he has lived in Washington Township,
and at the time of coming there was but little settlement in the
township, there being but about sixteen voters. When buying his farm,
he went back from the main traveled road for some distance, thinking
that he would always have all the range he wanted for his stock, but in
six months other houses began to go up around him, and soon the entire
prairie was inclosed. Mr. Annis was married, in Illinois, to Miss
Drusilla A. Essex, in 1867. They have two children, both girls. He was
educated in Illinois. He enlisted in the First Illinois Cavalry in
1861, Col. Thomas A. Marshall. In the same year, they were taken
prisoners at Lexington, Mo., and were paroled, but not exchanged, and
were again called into service, and were stationed at St. Louis most of
the time, but were again mustered out in 1862. He is Republican in
politics, and is a member of the Masonic fraternity, becoming one in
Illinois, and still keeps his membership there. His farm consists of
eighly acres, and he does general farming. By trade he is a mason, aud
followed his trade for about fifteen years, and occasionally since. Mr.
Annis has taken an active part in township affairs since coming here,
and is now one of the Trustees of the township, and Justice of the
CARTER, A. S.
Farming and stock, P. O. Neola, was born in Ohio in 1837, son of Samuel
Carter, who was born and raised in Maryland, and is still living and in
good health, although seventy-eight years old. Mr. Carter's mother died
when he was young. Mr. Carter was educated in Ohio, in common schools.
He was raised on a farm, and such has been his occupation all his life.
He was married, in Ohio, in 1860, to Miss Malinda Hartley, born in
Ohio, in the same county as Mr. Carter - Guernsey County. They have ten
children - seven boys and three girls - all at home but one daughter,
and she is married, and living in New Sharon, Mahaska Co., Iowa. Mr.
Carter first moved to Nodaway County, Mo., where he lived for three
years, and then came to his present place, in Washington Township,
getting here in December, 1869. He had bought the land, however, before
he had moved from Ohio. There were no improvements on the farm when
coming here, so Mr. Carter went to work to make him a home, planting
out groves, orchards, and building farm buildings, till now he has a
well-improved farm. His farm now consists of 360 acres - 160 in Section
3, and 200 in Section 4. Mr. Carter's business is raising corn and
feeding stock, and has made a success of it. He is Republican in
politics. In township affairs Mr. Carter has taken an active part
always, and has held most of the township offices. When he first
started on the place, there were no groves, but now has eight acres in
cultivated forest trees, besides roads lined with trees. His orchard
consists of about two acres, with trees in bearing. When he settled in
the township, there was no settlement in sight, and no roads in this
part of the township. Mr. Carter has also been land agent for a number
of years. He was here where he could learn the corners of all pieces
near him, and where such tracts lay, so was appointed agent. Although
Mr. Carter is not a member of any church, yet his standard is morality.
No one ever heard him utter an oath, or never was drunk. When he came
to this place, in December, 1869, he had only $37 with which to begin
building and improving. Of his farm, 270 acres are in cultivation, 225
in corn - the remainder in pasture and grass. His farm is splendidly
watered - two fine springs, three wells and the Middle Silver Creek
through the farm. Neola is the nearest town of importance, and he is
nine miles south of that place, nearly the same distance west of
Oakland, and eighteen miles northeast of Council Bluffs.