ACKER, W. C.
Farming, P. O.
Hancock, was born at Beardstown, Cass Co., Ill., in 1838, son of John
Acker, born in New York State at the head of Lake Champlain; he is a
retired farmer; his wife, our subject's mother, is dead. They had eight
children, one of whom is dead. Our subject was educated at Mt.
Morris Seminary, Illinois, and moved with his father, in 1842, to
Oregon, Ogle Co., Ill. There he remained till about 1853, when he went
to Chicago and served an apprenticeship at carriage-making; he resided
in Chicago about seven years, it being a small place at that time. In
1865, he came to Iowa, and built the first carriage shop erected in the
town of Boone. In the fall of 1875, Mr. Acker sold out his business in
Boone, came to Pottawattamie County and bought his present farm of 240
acres, situated in Valley Township. This land, then in a wild state,
was worth from $5 to $8 per acre; now. in a state of cultivation, it is
worth from $25 to $30 per acre. When Mr. Acker first settled here, this
part of the township was but thinly settled, and he circulated
petitions for roads and schoolhouses. He was married, in 1855, to Miss
S. L. Vanloon, a native of Ohio, daughter of Isaiah Vanloon. Mr. and
Mrs. Acker have five children - W. C, born September 15, 1858; Elwood
W., February 2, 1861; Estella M., May 5, 1865; Belle L.. December 4,
1869, and May E., born May 11, 1872. Mr. Acker is a member of the A. H.
T. A. In politics, he is a Republican.
Hotel, Hancock, was born in Ohio in 1834, son of Samuel and Roxie
(Wheeler) Armstrong; his mother is living in Wisconsin; his parents
moved to Southern Illinois when our subject was about four years old,
then into Jo Daviess County, Ill., and afterward, back to Portage
County, Ohio, where they lived two years, and then to Wisconsin. Our
subject went to school in Illinois, Ohio and Wisconsin. He has two
half-sisters and one half-brother. His father was a farmer, and Mr.
Armstrong has followed the same occupation most of his life. He
enlisted, August 14, 1862, in Company B, Thirty-third Wisconsin
Infantry, and served three years, or until the close of the war, coming
home in August, 1865. At first, he was under Grant, at Vieksburg,
McPherson being the Seventeenth Corps commander, in which he was a
member; he was at the taking of Spanish Fort; his regiment went on the
Red River expedition, but Mr. Armstrong was regimental Postmaster at
the time, and was left behind with the sick at Vicksburg. He was also
under Sherman in his Meridian expedition, under Gen. Smith at Tupelo,
Miss., and in other engagements. At Vieksburg, he was wounded in the
hand, losing a finger. Mr. Armstrong was married, first, in 1857, to
Miss Nancy Jane Loney, of Wisconsin; he has three children by this wife
- one boy, Charles O., living in Pottawattamie County, and two
daughters. His wife died in 1863, and he was married the second time,
in April, 1866. to Miss Lydia E. Millard, of Ohio, who died in August,
1867. Mr. Armstrong was married to his present wife in 1869; she was
Miss Mary J. Fitzgerald, born in Wisconsin; her parents are both dead;
she is the daughter of Peter Fitzgerald, born in Kentucky; her mother
was born in Ohio. Mrs. Armstrong has three brothers and four sisters.
In 1871, Mr. Armstrong came to Iowa, and settled in what is now Valley
Township, where he followed farming till the fall of 1880, when he sold
his farm, came to Hancock and built the first dwelling-house erected in
the town after it was laid out. After coming here, he dealt in coal for
about a year, bat now devotes his attention to the hotel business and
is having good success. Mr. ami Mrs. Armstrong are members of the
Methodist Church. Mr. Armstrong is an Odd Fellow and a Republican.
BAIR, I. L.
Farming, P. O. Hancock, was born in Knox County, Ohio, in 1843, son of
David Bair, a blacksmith by trade, now living in retirement in Johnson
County, Iowa, where he was one of the early settlers. Mr. Bair had
seven brothers, one of whom is dead, and one sister. In 1854. he, with
his parents, left Ohio and settled in Johnson County, Iowa, thence, in
March, 1877, he came to Valley Township, Pottawattamie County. In
August, 1862, Mr. Bair enlisted in Company K, Twenty-second Iowa
Regiment, continuing in the same till the close of the war; he was in
the Vicksburg campaign, under Grant, and in the Shenandoah Valley
campaign, under Sheridan; he came out without a wound. Mr. Bair was
married, in 1868, to Miss Almina E. Pophan, born in Kosciusko County,
Ind., daughter of Richard Pophan. Mr. and Mrs. Bair have four children
- Louisa Ellen, Charles R., Clinton H and Howard P. Mr. Bair and wife
are members of the M. E. Church, of Hancock. Mr. Bair's farm consists
of 120 acres, all well under cultivation, and the acquirement of his
own industry. Mr. Bair is a member of the Masonic fraternity and of the
A. H. T. A.; in politics, he is a Republican.
BARTON, W. C.
Farming, P. O. Hancock, was born in New York State in 1833, son of
James and Dorcas (Akley) Barton; he was a lumberman and farmer, and
died in Wisconsin in 1861; she died in Wisconsin, and was the mother of
fourteen children, five of whom are dead. Mr. Barton received an
ordinary education in his native State, and then engaged in farming
till he became twenty-one years of age, when he moved to Wisconsin and
engaged in farming till 1867, when he came to Mitchell County, Iowa,
thence to his present place in Pottawattamie County. Mr. Barton's farm
of 650 acres was, when he bought it, wild prairie; now it is in a good
state of cultivation, and has excellent buildings erected upon it. Mr.
Barton's property is entirely self-acquired; he has an orchard of about
300 trees and quite a vineyard; he raises considerable stock, having on
hand at present about one hundred head of cattle. Mr. Barton was
married, in Wisconsin, in 1857, to Diantha Dewey, born in Vermont,
daughter of Horace and Sophia (Felt) Dewey, he a native of Vermont and
she of Massachusetts. Mr. and Mrs. Barton are the parents of five
children - Marion L., Rosa, Aaron, Roscoe and Florence, all at home,
except the eldest son, who is married and lives in Knox Township, where
he owns and conducts a farm. Mr. Barton is one of the most successful
farmers of Valley Township. Politically, he is a Republican.
BATTELLE, A. M.
farmer, P. O. Avoca, was born in Washington County, Ohio, in 1830, son
of C. D. and E. G. Battelle; subject's father is living at Columbus,
Ohio, and is seventy-six years old; he was a Methodist minister until
1881, when he retired. Mr. Battelle was well educated in
Ohio and West Virginia, and first started in life in 1849, as a
telegraph operator, which occupatiou he followed nine years. The first
office he had charge of was at Portsmouth, Ohio; from there he went to
Brownsville, Penn., but the greater portion of his life as an operator
was spent at Washington, Ohio, and Wheeling, W. Va. The last two years
spent in Wheeling, he was engaged in the grocery business, coming from
Wheeling to his present place in 1855; he pre-empted his land. Mr.
Battelle was married, in 1852, in Washington, Ohio, to Miss Aramintha
Beymer, born in Ohio, daughter of William and Julia Beymer. Mrs.
Battelle's father is still living. Mr. and Mrs. Battelle have seven
children - three boys and four girls; two of the daughters are married
and one son is in Hancock. Mr. Battelle's farm consists of 200 acres,
all in cultivation and meadow. He was a member of the Board of County
Supervisors for seven years, being Chairman of the board for five
years; he has held various township offices, and has been on the School
Board for many years. Mr. Battelle had the first pine house in
Pottawattamie County; it was framed in Wheeling, W. Va, shipped on the
river, and landed at the old landing at Council Bluffs. Mr. Battelle is
a Mason and a Republican.
BENJAMIN, W. H.
Hardware, Hancook, came to Pottawattamie County in 1864, settling in
Valley Township on a farm, where he remained till 1881, with the
exception of a short time he was in business in Avoca, in the early
settlement of that place. He was born in Orange County, N. Y., Ajaril
22, 1832, and lived in different parts of the State till 1864, when he
came to Iowa. His father was a carpenter and farmer, and Mr. Benjamin
followed the same occupation; he received his education in New York; he
is the son of S. H. and Magdalen (Forshee) Benjamin, natives of Orange
County, N. Y. Mr. Benjamin is one of ten children, eight of whom are
living, six of them being boys; his youngest brother is an attorney in
Avoca; he also has a sister there; his father was born in March, 1800,
and died in 1872; his mother, born in September, 1808, is living. Mr.
Benjamin went out with the One Hundred and Seventh Regiment of New
York, enlisting in 1862 for three years, but was in service only sis
months; he passed through the battle of Antietam before being
discharged. Mr. Benjamin was married, in Steuben County, N. Y., October
28, 1857, to Miss Maggie Travis, born in Putnam County, N. Y., July 3,
1838, daughter of Elisha and Clara Travis, natives of Delaware County,
N. Y.; he, bom September 18, 1793, died August 18, 1879; she, born June
15, 1795, died May 7, 1880. Mr. and Mrs. Benjamin have had five
children, four boys and one girl - T. W., H. H., A. M., Clara M., and
B. W.; one son is married and lives at Avoca, Iowa. Mr. Benjamin came
to Hancock in 1881, and started the second business establishment in
the town. He has a two-story building, forty-two feet front and forty
feet deep, and has two storerooms; in one he has hardware, of which he
carries a large stock, including all kinds of necessary hardware. He
also retains his farm of 120 acres, well improved. Mr. Benjamin took
the first load of produce into Avoca that was ever delivered there. He
has held township offices, such as Assessor, Justice of the Peace, etc.
In 1873, Mr. Benjamin assessed Knox Township, when it included the
present Knox, Pleasant, Layton, Lincoln and two-thirds of Valley
Townships. He is a msmber of the I. O. O. F. and A. H. T. A. In
politics, he is a Republican, and cast his first vote for John C.
CARTER, I. G.
Farming, P. O. Hancock, was born near Dresden, Ohio, February 20, 1831;
moved from Ohio to Chicago in 1853, and lived there five years; from
there to McDonough County, Ill., and then to Jasper County, Iowa;
thence to Columbus, Neb., where he lived for one year, and then moved
to Valley Township, in 1872. Mr. Carter served three years in the war,
going out with Company C, Seventy-eighth Regiment of Illinois, staying
with his company three months, when it was all captured except Mr.
Carter and one other man, who escaped. Mr. Carter was then transferred
to the Engineers' Corps; was wounded, in the fall of 1863, at Carter's
Creek, Tenn., by a bridge timber; he was then transferred to the
Invalid Corps at Louisville, Ky. He was mustered out at Clinton, Iowa,
in July, 1865, having been in the battles of Fort Donelson, Stone
River, Lookout Mountain, Franklin, Tenn., and the battle of the
Wilderness. Before going into the army, he had followed his trade of
carpentering, but on account of the injury received at Carter's Creek,
Tenn., he had to give up carpenter work, and has since followed
farming, doing his first farming in Jasper County, Iowa. He now has a
farm of 120 acres, adjoining the town of Hancock, on which he has lived
since 1872; he does general farming, but pays most of his attention to
corn. He is the son of Albin and Nancy (Clark) Carter, natives of Ohio;
he was one of the old settlers in Ohio, and died in 1842; she died in
1842. Mr. Carter was married, November 13, 1851, to Miss Lucinda
Dowell, born near Dresden, Ohio, October 16, 1835, daughter of George
and Grace (Helms) Dowell, he, born in Virginia, died May 14, 1868, she,
born in Pennsylvania, died April 25, 1874. Mr. and Mrs. Carter have one
son in Oregon, general agent of the Retailers' Union; their oldest
daughter married George Payne, and lives in Harrison County, Iowa; one
son is a drayman in Hancock; the youngest son and two daughters are at
home; the children are Harrison A., Charles E., George W., Retta, Eva
M., Ida M., Jennie, Howard R., Florence M. and Hugh E.; two of the
children are deceased. Mr. Carter has always taken an interest in
political affairs; he was County Treasurer of McDonough County, Ill.,
for two years; Trustee for two years in Jasjser County, Iowa, and has
held various other county and township offices. He is a Methodist and a
Farming, P. O. Oakland, was born in Pennsylvania in 1835, son of
Charles and Sarah (McCreary) Clark, both born in Pennsylvania, and are
now living in Pottawattamie County, Iowa. Father was a farmer, but now
has retired. Mr. Clark moved with his parents to Illinois in 1850, and
settled in Mercer County. He was educated in Pennsylvania and Illinois.
Began for himself by farming in Illinois, and continued till the war
broke out, when he enlisted in the army, in 1862, and served three
years, going in with the One Hundred and Twenty-fourth Illinois
Infantry, under Col. Howe, of Chicago. He was at the siege of
Vicksburg, Champion Hill, Black River, and at Jackson, Miss.; stormed
the works and went right over the breastworks. Mr. Clark came home with
a bullet-hole through his coat, but not a scratch on his body. Was
discharcred at Vicksburg in 1865. He was with Sherman on his march to
the sea, but was taken sick and sent back to Vicksburg. He was married,
June 25, 1857, to Miss Sarah E. Noble, daughter of Joseph and Ellen
Noble; she was born in Illinois; she has two brothers and five sisters
in Iowa. Mr. Clark has two brothers and three sisters living, and three
sisters and three brothers dead. Mr. and Mrs. Clark have seven children
living and one dead - Mary Adda,
married E. M. Burch December 8, 1876, born October 28, 1858; Josie
Ellie, born March 16, 1861, died June 20, 1881; Charles E., at home,
born April 2, 1863; Minnie Kate, at home, born March 23, 1866; Hattie
B., at home, born January 9, 1868; Cora M., at home, born October 13,
1870; Fannie G., at home, born July 2, 1873; Bertha M., at home, born
November 15, 1876. Mr. Clark is a Republican; he also belongs to the
Baptist Church. After coming from the army, he moved to Iowa, starting
from Illinois in October, 1865. When tirst coming here, he settled two
miles south of Oakland, where he had a farm of eighty acres, living on
that till he came to his present farm, in November, 1873, buying 160
acres first, paying $25 per acre, it being partly improved. He has
since added another eighty acres to it. His farm is now all improved,
having a good orchard of about three acres and five acres in forest
trees, etc. When first startincr to farming in Illinois, it was with
Mr. R. M. White, they two renting a farm together. When coming out of
the army, it took almost all he had to buy his outfit to move to Iowa,
so he has made his farm since coming here. His farming is general. When
tirst coming to his present place, there was no schoolhouse here, and
not enough scholars for a school, but with his children they had
scholars enough to start a school. So Mr. Clark, Mr. McGee and Mr.
Pullen met at Mr. Clark's house, and Mr. Clark was elected
sub-director. The house was built and school started. Those three were
the only voters in the district at that time.
Farmer, P. O Oakland, was born in Ohio, near the Pennsylvania line,
March 1, 1837, son of Charles and Sarah (McCreary) Clark. Mr. Clark had
six sisters, three of whom are dead, and five brothers, three of whom
are dead. The parents make their home with our subject. When fifteen
years old, Mr. Clark moved, with his parents, to Illinois; in 1860,
they moved to Kansas, remained there a short time and then came to
Pottawattamie County, Iowa, where Mr. Clark has since engaged in
farming and stock-raising. In 1863, in Mercer County, Ill., Mr. Clark
married Miss Martha A. Humbert, born in Indiana, daughter of E. M.
Humbert, who died in March, 1881. Mrs. Clark has three sisters and
three brothers living, and is the mother of five children - Fred,
Sarah, Carrie, William and an infant. Mr. Clark has lived in this
county twenty-one years, and on his present farm six years. He
commenced with nothing, and now has a farm of 400 acres, all in
cultivation and pasture; he raises a fine grade of cattle, feeding most
of his grain. He has one of the largest dwellings in the township, and
has on his place a fine orchard of two and a half acres. Mr. and Mrs.
Clark are members of the Baptist Church.
Farming, P. O. Hancock, was born in Crawford County, Perm., October 20,
1831, son of Erastus and Elizabeth Convers, he born in Vermont, died
March 12, 1848, she born October 10, 1813, in Pennsylvania. Our subject
came to Iowa when he was nine years old, and never had the advantages
of school to any extent; he was raised on a farm and started in life as
a farmer and veterinary surgeon. When he, with his parents, came to
Iowa and settled in Iowa County, the nearest store was at Burlington,
seventy miles distant, and Indians were so common that Mr. Convers
became quite conversant with their language, speaking it quite well. He
lived in Iowa County, Iowa, for thirty years, except one year spent in
Minnesota with the regular army; he was not enlisted, but in 1848, when
only seventeen years old, he drove teams iu winter and cooked in
summer, while Fort Gaines was building in Minnesota. He had three
brothers in the war of the rebellion and only one came out. Mr. Convers
is one of six children; his only sister died many years ago; he has one
brotlier in Lyons County, Iowa, and one in California. Mr. Convers is a
Good Templar, Mason, Odd Fellow, a member of the A. H. T. A.; he has
been a temperance worker for twenty-three years, and took a very active
part in working for prohibition in Iowa. His father died when he was
only fourteen rears old, but his mother is still living. Mr. Convers
was married, May 23, 1851, to Miss Jane C. Henry, born in Pickaway
County, Ohio, May 24, 1836. Subject came to Pottawattamie County, Iowa,
in 1870, and bought his present place, which was not improved. He has a
farm of 325 acres of land, upon which he has sixteen acres of groves
and orchards, and has erected good buildings. Mr. Convers has always
followed farming and dealing in stock; also practicing as a veterinary
surgeon. He has one son - Charles H. - in California, teaching school;
another - John - in Avoca, Pottawattamie County, as baggage master; he
has also four daughters - Mary, Emma, Ella and Clara. Mr. Convers has
filled various township offices, and in politics is a Eepublican.
GARDNER, I. N.
Farming, P. O. Hancock, was born in Ohio in 1841; his father, John L.
Gardner, was a farmer and railroad contractor; he located at Marengo,
Iowa, when it was a small place, and there owned quite a body of land
which was afterward divided into lots. Our subject remained in his
native State till he became eighteen years of age, when he went to
Pike's Peak, at the time of the gold fever. He remained in the West two
years, and then, returning to Ohio, enlisted, in 1862, in the
Twenty-seventh Ohio Regiment, Col. Blackburn, serving till mustered out
at the close of the war; he entered as a private, but came out as
Second Lieittenant; he had four brothers in the army - one a Captain in
the Twenty-ninth Iowa, and another in the Sixty-fifth Ohio Regiments;
three of the brothers were wounded, one of them severely, the latter is
now in the employ of the Government at Washington. After the war, Mr.
Gardner went to Missouri; thence, in 1871, he came to this county and
bought 120 acres, which is now quite well improved. Mr. Gardner was
married, in 1879, to Miss Emma Kearney, born in New York City; they
have two children - Frank and Gerald. Mr. Gardner received his
education in Ohio and Mt. Vernon, Iowa, and completed it at Hillsdale
College, Mich. He is a member of the A. H. T. A., and in politics is a
HARDMAN. Charles W.
Physician, Hancock, was born in Tazewell County, III., in 1853, son of
Samuel B. and Mary F. Hardman; he is a farmer and Methodist preacher;
she is the mother of three children - our subject, one son, a druggist,
in Avoca, Iowa, and a daughter living in Davenport, Iowa, the wife of
Mr. Hancock, who founded the town in Iowa which bears his name. Dr.
Hardman was raised on his father's farm, in Tazewell County, and
subsequently took a course in Rush Medical College, Chicago, graduating
from the same in 1878. After graduating. Dr. Hardman located in Pawnee
County, Kan., where he practiced till 1881, then came to Hancock,
Pottawattamie County, Iowa, where he is the only physician, and has a
good practice; he and his brother are preparing to go into the dtug
business in Hancock. Dr. Hardman was married, in Kansas, in 1879, to
Miss Mary Lula Pugh, of Chicago, Ill.; they have one daughter - Mary
Grace. Dr. Hardman is a member of the I. O. O. F., and in politics is a
HARROD, John B.
Parma, was born November 24, 1829, in Logan County, Ohio, son of James
and Isabel Harrod, both living in Ohio, he born in Knox County, Ohio,
in 1808, she born in Licking County, Ohio, in 1810. Mr. Harrod is the
oldest of seven boys and one girl, and was educated at Geneva Hall
College, Ohio; began life teaching in 1849; taught three years in Ohio,
and then went to Indiana and taught eight years in Hancock County; then
the war broke out, and Mr. Harrod enlisted as a private, August 13,
1862, in the Ninety-ninth Indiana Infantry. He was commissioned
Quartermaster for the One Hundred and Thirteenth Indiana Infantry in
September, 1863. This was called into service for forty days, and after
they were mustered out, Dr. William E. Wall, now of Trader's Point.
Iowa, J. C. Rardin and Mr. Harrod, organized a company of cavalry. Dr.
Wall was elected Captain; Mr. Rardin, First Lieutenant, and Mr. Harrod,
Second Lieutenant. After about a year. Dr. Wall was promoted to the
position of Major, Mr. Rardin Captain and Mr. Harrod, First Lieutenant;
all served through the war and are living yet, Mr. Harrod being the
only one wounded. Their regiment went into the field in the spring of
1864, and were at once pitted against Forrest, Wheeler and Anderson,
raiders in the rear of Sherman. They first started out in Tennessee,
and on through Alabama. Mr. Harrod and others were taken prisoners, in
September, 1864, at Sulphur Branch, seven miles north of Athens, Ala.,
Forrest capturing them, he having 10,000 men and the Federals only 500,
but they fought six hours before surrendering, and the officers were
allowed to retain their side-arms. Loss of Federals, ninety-six, in
those that were killed and died from wounds; confederate loss, 200
killed and 1,100 wounded. From the field. our subject and the other
prisoners were taken to Meridian, where they were kept in the stockade
for a week, and then taken to Enterprise, Miss., and kept for a little
over two months, one of the terms of capitulation being that they
should be retained in Mississippi; they were paroled at Memphis, Tenn.,
but remained in the service till their regiment was mustered out,
September 9, 1865. at Indianapolis. Mr. Harrod remained under medical
treatment for over a year before being able to do anything, and in
September, 1866, he came to Pottawattamie County, and has remained here
since, most of the time engaged in teaching, but his health being so
seriously affected since his being a prisoner, he is unable some years
to follow his adopted profession of teaching. He has served two terms
as Justice of the Peace, and has been identified with the school
interests most of the time. His first vote was for Franklin Pierce, but
since he has not voted for a Democratic President; for other officers,
he votes for what he considers the best man. He was married, November
18, 1851, to Miss Matilda Ann Hukill. of Ohio, born November 12, 1833,
daughter of Stephen Hukill. There is one son by this marriage - Robert
F., now living in Ohio. His wife died July 11, 1853. In May, 1854, Mr.
Harrod married again, this time to Miss Jane A. Laport, born January 1,
1835, daughter of John L. and Virlind (Harrison) Laport. There is one
son and one daughter by this marriage - Charles B. and Maggie M.; the
latter was married, m January, 1878, to Mr. Isaiah Morris, son of
Reuben Moms, of Center Township.
Farmer, P. O. Avoca, was born in Pennsylvania in 1826, son of Joshua
and Dorothy (Jones) Headlee, he a farmer, died in Indiana; she is
living in Avoca, Iowa; the parents had three daughters and five sons.
Mr. Headlee removed, with his parents, from Peansylvania to Indiana,
remaining in the latter till he was about fifteen years old, when he
came to Iowa. He lived nine miles from Keokuk till 1852, when he
settled in Knox Township, Pottawattamie County; thence, in 1862, he
came to his present fann of 160 acres, in Valley Township. Mr. Headlee
was married, in 1862, near Keokuk, Iowa, to Esther Lewis, born in Ohio;
she has blessed him with eleven children - five boys and six girls, one
of each sex being dead. When Mr. Headlee first came to Pottawattamie
County, he had a yoke of cattle and a wagon, which he bought in a
year's time, and 15 cents in money; he now has a good property. Mr.
Headlee espouses the Republican cause.
HOLWAY, A, C.
Farming, P. O. Avoca, was born in 1845 in Maine, and came to this
county in 1870, from Minnesota, where he had lived for about five years
previous; his father and mother are living in Pottawattamie County. Mr.
Holway was educated in Maine, and has always followed farming. He came
here in 1870, and bought forty acres of unimproved land; he now has
eighty acres, mostly under cultivation. Mr. Holway was married, in
Maine, in 1865, to Lovina Williams; they have one son - Charles L., and
two daughters - Anna M. and Laura Ella. Mr. Holway is a member of the
A. H. T. A., and his wife of the Presbyterian Church. Mr. Holway has
one brother and one sister living in this county. He is a Democrat in
KING, C. O.
Farming, P. O. Hancock, was born in New York State in 1837, son of
Wells and Jane (Look) King; his father is living in Iowa County, Iowa.
Mr. King has one brother, D. C. King, in Montgomery County, Iowa. Our
subject was educated in New York State and remained there till he was
twenty-two years of age; he then went to Michigan and enlisted in the
Third Michigan Cavalry, September 17, 1861, being discharged March 16,
1866; Hamburg Landing, Iuka, Corinth and Mobile were the leading
engagements he was in. He entered as a private, and subsequently
received a commission from Gov. Crapo, of Michigan; this commission was
to take effect November 8, 1865, but the war closing prevented Mr. King
from making use of it; he was Regimental Commissary when mustered out.
After the war closed, he soon came to Iowa County, Iowa, bought and
settled there. He remained in Iowa County till 1873, when he sold out,
came to Pottawattamie County and settled on a place which he has since
sold; he then bought another farm of 240 acres, on which he now lives;
the farm is well improved. Mr. King was married, in 1870. to Miss Mary
L. Archer, born in Ohio; her father, Oliver Archer, is dead; her mother
is in this township. Mr. King has two children - Hattie J. and Lucy A.;
he has also lost two children. Mr. King's business has always been that
of farming. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity and of the A. H.
T. A. He has held township offices, being Assessor of Knox Township
before Valley was separated from it; he is at present Trustee of Valley
Township. He was one of the most active in getting Valley Township set
off by itself. In politics, Mr. King is a Republican.
Groceries and queensware, Hancock, was born in Germany in 1845, son of
F. J. Knierieman, who was a farmer by occupation, now dead. Subject's
mother is also deceased. Mr. Knierieman took a complete course in the
public schools of Germany, and afterward learned the miller's trade. He
has two brothers who are farmers in Germany. Our subject came to
America in 1868, locating first in Philadelpliia, where he engaged in
milling. Since 1870, he has lived in Iowa, and for the past five years
in Pottawattamie County. He came from Avoca to Hancock in April, 1882;
while in Avoca, he conducted a mill. Mr. Knierieman was married, in
1879, to Miss Dora May Kinney, of Avoca, born in Oskaloosa, Iowa,
daughter of W. S. Kinney, a Methodist minister, who has retired from
the pulpit and from business on account of his health; he owns the
grocery, queensware and notion store in Hancock, of which our subject
has charge; they carry a stock of about $2,000. Mr. Knierieman is
Deputy Postmaster of Hancock. He has visited the largest cities of all
the Northern States, and has crossed the ocean three times. He is a
member of the I. O. O. F.; takes no particular interest in politics,
but generally votes the Democratic ticket.
Farming, P. O. Hancock, was born in Ireland in 1846; came to America
with his parents in 1849, and settled in Newry, Blair Co., Penn. In
1858, he moved with his parents to Lee County, Ill., where they
remained two years. Of the two years our subject remained in Lee
County, he lay twenty-one months with fever and ague. In 1860, he again
moved with his parents to Scott County, Iowa, where his parents still
live; his mother is seventy-eight years old and his father
seventy-nine. When the war broke out, our subject's three brothers
enlisted, but Joseph being too young to enlist, remained at home with
his parents till he was of age, and then went to farming. In February,
1871, he came to Pottawattamie County, and settled eight and a half
miles south of Avoca and built a house eight by ten feet. He lived
alone one year, and then was married to Miss Hattie H. Sautelle, who
was born in Bangor, Me. Mr. Moore has resided on his farm up to the
present time, but now has built a residence in the town of Hancock, and
intends to make that place his future home. He has a well-improved farm
of 120 acres, besides his town property. He is a Republican and also a
member of the I. O. O. F., Valley Lodge, No. 439. They have five
daughters. One of Mr. Moore's brothers died in the army; one lives in
Davenport, Iowa, and one in Moline, Ill. Mr. Moore has always had to
depend upon his own resources, and has made most of his money in
raising hogs in Pottawattamie County. He was educated in Scott County,
Iowa, in the common schools.
Farmer, P. O. Avoca, was born in Westmoreland County, Penn., in 1831,
son of John and Sarah (Hamilton) Morrow, he a boatman and farmer by
occupation, was a native of Westmoreland County, Penn.; the parents had
thirteen children, ten boys and three girls. Mr. Morrow received an
ordinary education in Pennsylvania, and was there engaged in boating on
the canal till he became twenty- one years old, when he moved to Henry
County, Ill. After settling in Illinois, Mr. Morrow followed farming
and also ran a coal mine for some time; he next engaged in the milling
business for about a year, in Geneseo, Henry Co., Ill.; thence he went
to Scott County, Ill., where he owned and conducted a flouring-mill for
eight years. July 4, 1876, Mr. Morrow came to Pottawattamie County,
Iowa, and purchased his present farm of 160 acres, now all under
cultivation. When the late war broke out, Mr. Morrow and six of his
brothers being old enough to enlist, they cast lots to see who should
remain at home, it being necessary for one of them to do so; the lot
fell upon our subject, and his six brothers enlisted in Company B,
Ninth Illinois Cavalry, one entering as a Corporal. Two of his brothers
died in the army; the others came out, after serving three and four
years. Mr. Morrow was married, March 19, 1857, to Miss Margaret Ann
Linton, born in Philadelphia, Penn., daughter of Robert Linton, a
boatman and mechanic, and for fourteen years a policeman in
Philadelphia. Mr. and Mrs. Morrow have been blessed with nine children,
five boys and four girls; they have lost two. Mr. Morrow and wife have
been members of the M. E. Church for many years. Mr. Morrow is in
politics a Republican.
Farming, P. O. Hancock, was born in Pennsylvania in 1834, son of Thomas
and Martha (Aken) Motheral; he, a farmer by occupation, was born in
Pennsylvania and died in Missouri; she, born in Pennsylvania, is also
dead; was the mother of twelve children, six of whom are dead. When
five yeara old, Mr. Motheral moved, with his parents, to Illinois,
where he received an ordinary schooling. In 1854, he came to Iowa and
located in Poweshiek County, where he engaged in farming till 1871,
when he located on his present place in Pottawattamie County. Mr.
Motheral's farm consists of 410 acres, mostly under cultivation, and
supplied with good buildings; when he first took this farm it was wild
prairie. He conducts general farming and trades some in cattle. Mr.
Motheral was married, in Iowa, in 1860, to Miss Sarah M. Clark, born in
New Jersey, daughter of John and Mary Clark, residents of Iowa. This
union has been blessed with four children - Florence E., Sarah M., R.
Franklin and Mary J. Mr. Motheral is a Mason and a Democrat.
NEWMAN, Charles W.
General repair shop, Hancock, was born in England June 2, 1843, son of
William and Bridget (Parkinson) Newman, he dead, she still living. Our
subject's father was the son of a "gentleman" in England, and, being
possessed of considerable wealth, never engaged in labor till he lost
his property and emigrated to Canada, where he engaged in milling. Our
subject has a brother in Ontario, Canada, in the shoe business; one
sister living in Detroit, Mich., and another in Canada. Mr. Newman's
other relatives all live in England, except one uncle, residing near
Troy, Mich. When Mr. Newman was six years of age, he, with his parents,
came to Canada, and there served an apprenticeship of three years at
blacksmithing. In 1862, he moved to Michigan and worked at his trade
for several years; then returned to Canada and was married, in January,
1869, to Miss Mary J. Bingham, a native of Canada; her father, Robert
Bingham, is a native of Ireland, and came to Canada, where he was
married. Mrs. Newman's parents are residents of Valley Township,
Pottawattamie County, Iowa. After his marriage, Mr. Newman remained in
Canada till 1876, when he came to Iowa, located in Avoca and ran a
blacksmith shop for nearly two years, then came to Valley Township,
purchased a farm, erected a shop on it, and continued at his trade. In
the fall of 1880, Mr. Newman removed his shop to Hancock, and also
engaged in the coal business with Mr. Armstrong. After engaging in the
coal business a little less than a year, he sold out his interest and
turned his whole attention to his shop, which he still continues. Mr.
and Mrs. Newman have three children, all girls; they are members of the
Methodist Church. Mr. Newman is a member of the Masonic fraternity and
is a Republican.
Farming, P. O. Parma, born in Mercer County, Ill., in 1851, son of M.
T. and Caroline (Tuel) Palmer. Mr. M. T. Palmer was born in Indiana in
1822. Mr. Palmer's parents are both living in Pottawattamie County; he
is one of nine children, seven still living, seven boys and
two daughters; two of the boys are dead. They came to Conncil Bluffs in
1853, and have lived in this county ever since. Mr. Palmer was educated
in the common schools of the county. They only lived in Council Bluffs
for a short time, and then came to near Oakland and bought a farm
there. Mr. Palmer's father has lived on the original place ever since,
and in connection with the farm he has a store, which he has kept for
about twenty years. With the exception of one brother and sister, in
Harlan, Shelby Co., Iowa, the family all live in Pottawattamie County.
Mr. Palmer started in life as a farmer, and has followed the same ever
since, except one year, when he was in the grocery business at Oakland.
Mr. Palmer was married, December 25, 1873, to Miss Susanna Davis, born
in Illinois, daughter of W. B. and Elizabeth Jane Davis, doth dead. Mr.
Palmer's wife died April 26, 1882. They had one girl, who died
September 6, 1876, and one son, died May 20, 1882. Mr. Palmer came to
his present farm April 8, 1876. For two years before he had farmed on
Section 28, Valley Township. When first coming to his present farm, he
bought forty acres, paying $8 per acre. Since, he has added to it till
he now has a farm of 160 acres, all improved. He is a Republican in
politics. Is also a member of the A. H. T. A. When he started in, it
was with nothing, and has made what he has by farming. Does general
PATTERSON, W. H.
Attorney, Hancock, is a son of Thomas Patterson, and was born in
Ireland in 1849. In the fall of 1853, he came with his parents to
America, and settled in Newry, Blair Co., Penn. Mr. Patterson was
educated at Washington and Jefferson College, Pennsylvania, graduating
in the class of 1874. He then entered the law office of Judge Black, of
York, Penn. He was admitted to the Blair County bar August 24, 1877;
practiced law in that county two years, and then came West, locating in
Avoca, Iowa. He remained in Avoca till the fall of 1881, when, his
health being poor, he farmed for a year. He now has a law office in
Hancock, and is Justice of the Peace. Mr. Patterson's parents, as well
as his five brothers and four sisters, are living in Pennsylvania. Mr.
Patterson was admitted to the Pottawattamie County bar on the motion of
Col. Keatley, of Council Bluffs. Mr. Patterson is a member of the
Presbyterian Church; also of the I. O. O. F.; and in politics is a
Republican. He is one of he rising young men of the county.
Farmer, P. O. Avoca, was boru in Prussia in 1827. He was educated in
his native country, and left there when twenty-six years of age, coming
to this country in 1853, and settling in Chicago, Ill., where he lived
three years, employed as a musician. In 1856, he moved from Chicago to
Davenport, Iowa, where he continued as a musician for almost twelve
years. He next moved, in 1868, to Benton County, Iowa where for three
years he engaged in farming, then returned to Davenport for six months,
thence to Omaha in 1871, where he resided four years, engaged as a
musician. In 1875, Mr. Schulz came from Omaha to Pottawattamie County,
Iowa, bought 160 acres of prairie, erected buildings, and now has his
farm mostly under cultivation. In 1861, he joined a military band, thus
serving his country until receiving an honorable discharge, in 1862, on
account of sickness. Mr. Schulz was married, in 1856, in Chicago, to
Miss Sophia Presler, daughter of John G. Presler, of Germany, for many
years a soldier in the German Army, going with Napoleon to Russia, and
remaining with his army until Napoleon was banished. Mr. and Mrs.
Schulz have four children - Lizzie, Emily, John and Caroline; the
eldest is married. In politics, Mr. Schulz is a Republican.
WARNER, A. W.
Farmer, P. O. Hancock, born in Indiana in 1850, son of Alphens and
Catharine (Hnxford) Warner; was educated in the common schools of
Indiana; began by working by the month; cam» to Iowa in 1874, to Marion
County, and was in Marion County for about sixteen months, then came to
Pottawattamie County and settled on his present place. Parents both
dead. When he came to present farm, it was partly broken out, and a
house, 12x16, on it; but that was all the improvements. Was mrried, in
spring of 1877, in Pottawattamie County, to Miss Mary Victoria
Griffith, born in Iowa. They have three children - two girls and one
boy. His farming is mostly grain-raising. His farm here consists of
eighty acres, buying in December, 1875, when land was high, and paid
$20 per acre.
Farmer, P. O. Hancock, bom in Indiana in 1852, son of Alpheus and
Catharine (Huxford) Warner; came here in 1876, and bought a farm with
his brother, and farmed together for some years, and then sold out to
brother, and bought another farm by himself, now having a farm of 120
acres. Generally votes the Democratic ticket; is a member of the I. O.
O. F., and of the A. H. T. A. His farming is mostly grain-raising. He
was educated in Indiana, in common schools. When he and brother bought
their first farm, it was partly broken and had a house on it 12x16
feet, but no other improvements. He is one of four own brothers and
three half-sisters and one half-brother, but there are now living but
the two own brothers and one half-brother.
Farmer, P. O. Hancock, was bom in Indiana in 1843, son of John and Ruth
(Cox) Watts; he was born in Virginia, and came to Polk County, Iowa, in
the fall of 1849, being one of the early settlers in that county; there
he died in 1855. Subject's mother was born in Kentucky; was the mother
of ten children, and died in 1878. In 1849, Mr. Watts came with his
parents to Polk County, Iowa, where subject received an ordinary
education, and engaged in farming till 1872. when he came to
Pottawattamie County and settled on his present farm of 146 acres. When
Mr. Watts first settled on his farm, it was unimproved; it is now in a
good state of cultivation, and has good buildings erected upon it. He
has an orchard of 160 trees, just beginning to bear, and other
improvements. Mr. Watts has one brother, a dentist, in Des Moines,
Iowa, and one sister, Mrs. Carter, who resides in California. In 1861,
Mr. Watts enlisted in Company B, Tenth Iowa Infantry. After serving
about a year, he received an honorable discharge, having been
incapacitated for duty by being shot through the wrist while on picket
duty at New Madrid, Mo. Mr. Watts was married, in 1866, in Polk County,
Iowa, to Miss Sarah J. Eairleywine, a native of Ohio, daughter of Abram
and Elizabeth Eairleywine, natives of Ohio. The result of this union is
one daughter, Orie A., born September 1, 1868, and one son, Charlie M.,
born August 22, 1870. Mr. Watts is a member of the I. O. O. F., and is
WETMORE, H. C.
Farmer, P. O. Hancock, was born in Ohio in 1848, son of O. E. and M. F.
(Williamson) Wetmore. He was educated mostly in Ohio, but also attended
Abingdon College, Illinois. The mother of subject is still living. His
father died when our subject was but eight years old. Mr. Wetmore
attended school till about twenty years of age, and then went to
teaching and farming, which occupation he
has continued since. He has two sisters - one near Carson,
Pottawattamie Co. , Iowa, and the other in Michigan. Mr. Wetmore was
married, in November, 1874, to Miss Emma E. Peterson, born in New York;
her father and mother are living in Summit County, Ohio. Mr. and Mrs.
Wetmore have no children of their own, but have a girl which they are
raising. Mr. Wetmore came from Ohio to Pottawattamie County, Iowa, in
the spring of 1878, and settled on his present farm of eighty acres.
Mr. and Mrs. Wetmore are members of the Christian Church. Politically,
Mr. Wetmore is a Democrat.
WHIPPLE, William W.
Farmer, P. O. Hancock, was born in McKean County, Penn., in 1837, son
of Samuel and Mercia Whipple; mother died in 1842, father in 1867; for
most of his life, the latter was a lumberman, but, a few years before
his death, he followed farming. Mr. Whipple has one brother and two
sisters in Wisconsin. He received his education in Pennsylvania; moved
from there when he was seventeen years old, and went to Portage County,
Wis., and remained five years, engaged in lumbering. He next went to
Adams County, Wis., and went to farming; remained in Adams County till
1864, when he enlisted in Company E, Thirty-seventh Wisconsin
Volunteers, and served till the close of the war. He was in the battle
of Fort Steadman, before Petersburg and at its capture. After the close
of the war, he stayed in Wisconsin about one year, and then went to
Minnesota, where he followed farming most of the time. In 1860, Mr.
Whipple was married to Miss Phylena Seward, born in New York, daughter
of Enos Seward, and slightly related to William H. Seward. Mrs. Whipple
died March 11, 1863, and was the mother of one son, who died October
17, 1864. Mr. Whipple was again married, in Minnesota, in 1869, to Miss
Annie E. Holloway, born in Maine, daughter of Levi Holloway. By his
second wife Mr. Whipple has two children - Eugene W., born August 6,
1871; and Albert L., born in December, 1876. Mr. Whipple lived in
Minnesota till 1869, when he moved to Pottawattamie County, Iowa, and
settled in Valley Township, one and a half miles east of Hancock. In
1872, he bought eighty acres of prairie at $9 per acre, and, in 1874,
forty acres at $10 per acre. His farm is all under cultivation, with
good improvements, good buildings and orchards. He sold his farm in
1882 for $30 per acre. He is a member of the A. H. T. A.; also a member
of the Methodist Episcopal Church of Hancock, and Superintendent of the
Sunday school. In politics, he is a Republican.
WHISNAND. J. M.
Dry goods and groceries, Hancock, was born in Monroe County, Ind.,
February 9, 1859, son of Granville and Louisa Whisnand, natives of
Indiana, who are living on their farm near Sheridan, Iowa. Our subject
attended school at Sheridan, Iowa, and completed his business education
at what is known as Mrs. Steward's Academy. Mr. Whisnand removed with
his parents from Indiana to Lucas County, Iowa, about 1865; thence, in
1879, he went to Cass County, and remained there till coming to
Pottawattamie County. He has three brothers and two sisters - one
brother in this county, one sister in Guthrie County, and the others in
Lucas County. Mr. Whisnand was engaged in farming till early in 1881,
when he went into a store at Griswold, Iowa, remaining there till
starting his present store in Hancock, December 1, 1881. His tii-st
partner was Mr. Gordon, who subsequently sold out his interest, and the
firm is now Whisnand & Archer. They keep dry goods, boots and
shoes, and a complete stock of groceries, their stock invoicing at
$3,200. Mr. Whisnand has charge of the business, his partner being on a
farm. Mr. Whisnand is a member of the I. O. O. F., and in politics he
is a Republican.
WHITE, R. M.
Farmer, P. O. Oakland, barn in Pennsylvania in 1833; lived in
Pennsylvania till 1853, and then went to Illinois, and was there till
1860, and came to Kansas and then to his present place the same year,
and this has been his home ever since. He was raised on a farm; was
educated in Pennsylvania, in common schools. He has always followed
farming. When first starting for himself, he went to Illinois and
worked by the month for about a year and six months. The first land he
ever bought was his present place. He is a son of Samuel and Mary
(Leslie) White; father born in Washington County, Penn.; parents both
dead. Mr. White is one of seven children - three sons and four
daughters. Six are still living. He has one brother in Iowa now; one
sister in Virginia; the other members of family in Pennsylvania. He is
Republican in politics. He had two brothers go through the war. Was
married, in 1858, to Miss Martha Clark, daughter of Charles and Sarah
Clark, both living. Mr. and Mrs. White have five children living and
one dead, all boys - Charles, Warren, Uriah, Leslie, Edmond. Charles is
married and lives in Valley Township. The others are all at home,
except what time Warren is off at school. When Mr. White came here, he
bought land, paying $2.50 per acre. He has now 800 acres in a body, and
his oldest son 160 adjoining. Besides his home farm, he has other
lands. When first settling, he only bought eighty acres - the remainder
after the country began to settle up. When Mr. White came to Iowa, it
was with nothing except a good team of horses, two or three cows and a
few household goods. He had moved in wagon from Illinois to Kansas, and
then to Iowa. After crossing the Missouri River into Iowa, he had only
25 cents in money, and provisions for a week. He bought his first
eighty acres of Ephraim Bird on a year's time. Mr. Bird was to pay the
taxes the first year, and also for recording the deed. Mr. White paid
for the land in stock and grain in about fifteen months from buying it.
Mr. White has always followed stock and grain raising. When first
coming here, he did considerable hauling between Big Grove [Oakland]
and Council Bluffs. While in Illinois, he worked by the month till he
could buy a team, and then rented land and farmed, making money pretty
fast till going to Kansas; he lost all his money, and has made what he
now has in Iowa. In 1875, Mr. White was run by the Republican party for
Representative for this district for the State Legislature, but, it
being an office he did not desire, and his other business needing his
attention at the time, he paid no attention to the canvass, so was
beaten by the opposing candidate, Mr. Hunt, of Avoca, by one vote. In
the first two elections in the district, called then No. 3, in Center
Township, there were only two voters - Mr. White and Mr. Strong. This
was in 1866 and 1867. Mr. White was then Secretary of the School Board,
and his vote elected Mr. Strong Sub-Director for two years. Then Mr.
White and Mr. Strong voted a 5-mill tax on their subdistrict. Their
subdistrict then was three by three and a half miles. In 1868, they got
their schoolhouse, and at the time the tax was voted, there were but
two scholars; but, in 1868, as soon as the school was opened, there
were eleven scholars, for people began to settle near the school. Mr.
White has been Township Clerk for all but one year since 1865.
Farmer, P. O. Hancock, was born in Holstein, Germanv, in 1848,
andreceived his eduation there.
He came to thia country in 1868, locating first in Davenport, Iowa,
where he engaged in farming three years; thence he went to West
Liberty, Muscatine Co., Iowa, and engaged in farming till 1872, when he
came to this county and purchased eighty acres in Knox Township. In
1878, he sold his farm in Knox Township, and, coming to Valley
Township, bought eighty acres in Section 13. Here he has since
conducted farming. Mr. Wiese was married, in Davenport, to Mrs. Sophia
L. Hansan, daughter of Henry W. T. Bein, a farmer of Scott County,
owning 200 acres. Mr. and Mrs. Wiese have four children - Augusta T.,
Jacob H., Eggert and Ida L. - two of them being Mrs. Wiese's children
by her first husband, Hans J. Hansan. The parents of Mr. Wiese are
living near West Liberty. He has one sister living in Avoca, and one
brother in Knox Township. Mr. Wiese was naturalized May 19, 1882, and
votes the Democratic ticket.
WILLIAMS, W. S.
Farmer, P. O. Hancock, was born in Indiana in 1848. His father, S. G.
Williams, was born in Maine, and emigrated to Indiana when that State
was almost entirely inhabited by Indians. He now lives in retirement,
in South Bend, Ind., having been a farmer forty years. He and ex-Gov.
Garcillon, of Maine, were schoolmates. Mr. Williams has one brother and
two sisters. He received a good education in Indiana, and, leaving that
State in 1872, came to Iowa and located on his present place in
Pottawattamie County. Mr. Williams' farm consists of seventy acres,
well improved, and a $1,500 residence upon it. Besides his farm, he
owns considerable town property. He is Postmaster of Hancock. Mr.
Williams was married, in 1873, in Avoca, Iowa, to Miss S. E. Sanders, a
native of Michigan. They have five children - Mabel, Frank, Winfield,
Grove and Clara. Mr. Williams is a member of the I. O. O. F. , serving
as Permanent Secretary. He is a Republican in politics.