Return to the Pottawattamie Co. home page.  
Biographical Sketches
Rockford Township
1883

ALDRIDGE, H. L.

Farming, P. O. Loveland, was born in Indiana in 1846, came to Pottawattamie County in 1854, and, with the exception of a few years he lived across the line in Harrison County, this township has been his home ever since. His business has always been that of farming and stock-dealing. He received his education in this county, but, for several years after coming here, there was no school that he could attend. His father, John S. Aldridge, died while he was very young. The mother is still living; she is a native of Indiana, and is now Mrs. Josiah Skelton, one of the old settlers of Pottawattamie County. Mr. Aldridge was married in this county, in 1867, to Miss M. E. Selvy. He was first farming in the Missouri River bottom, where he still has 156 acres of land, and also has a farm at his home place of 44 acres. This he bought more for a fruit farm, on which he now has quite a good many apple and other fruit trees. He has been engaged in buying and selling cattle, and now has about one hundred head of cattle, besides hogs and other stock. He is Democratic in politics, and is a member of the Masonic fraternity. He has held different township offices, and is now one of the Trustees. His first farm was raw prairie when he bought it, paying from $10 to $20 per acre. It is now well improved. His present home place cost $25 per acre. Mr. Aldridge started out for himself with but little, and his present success he has gained by his own energy and perseverance. He is also in the bee business, having a number of stands, which are paying well. He also has an orchard of about five hundred trees, which is doing finely.


CARTER, Elihu

Farmer, P. O. Loveland, was born in New York in 1827, son of Henry Carter, who died in January, 1872. The mother of our subject is still living, and was seventy-five years old in March, 1882. Our subject came to this State in 1875 from Winnebago County, Wis., and settled on his present place. He purchased 160 acres of land, for which he paid $3,000. There were no fences or other improvements with the exception that 80 acres were in corn, which he secured, and a house which was not completed. Our subject moved with his parents from his native State to Pennsylvania when he was about two years old. He lived there eight years, afterward moving to Wisconsin, and finally to this State, as before stated. He received his education mostly in Wisconsin, in which State he was also married to Miss Lucinda Knapp, a native of Pennsylvania, daughter of Hosea Knapp, who is still living, and was eighty-three years old in December, 1882. Mr. and Mrs. Carter have four children living, three boys and one girl, of whom one boy and one girl are married and are living in Rockford Township. They have buried one daughter, who died in September, 1881. When our subject first moved to Wisconsin, the Winnebago and Menomonee tribes of Indians were respectively located on the south and north sides of the Fox River. They would steal from each other, and both from the white population. Mr. Carter lived in Walworth, Fond du Lac and Winnebago Counties, Wis., to which latter county he moved in 1850. In September, 1861, he enlisted in the Fourteenth Wisconsin lufantry, Company C, and served eight months under Col. Wood. The battle of Shiloh was the principal engagement in which he took part. He gives but little attention to political matters, having voted but once in this State, except on questions pertaining to local school affairs. His present farm consists of his original purchase of 160 acres, which he has put in plowland and meadow, and a subsequent purchase of 20 acres, which is in timber. He raises principally corn.


CLARK, Samuel

Farmer, P. O. Missouri Valley, Harrison County, was born in New York State in 1818. His parents moved to Indiana when he was a small boy. There he grew up, was married and made his home till about 1853. He was married, in 1840, to Miss Sarah Harding, born in New York State in 1820, daughter of William Harding. Mr. Clark has always followed farming. From Indiana, they moved to Wisconsin and lived there about a year, and then came to Eastern Iowa, where thev lived till the fall of 1864 when they came to this county, and have made this their home ever since. The first year, they rented a farm, and then came on to their present farm. They bought it the first fal they came, but rented for a year, while they were making improvements on their own place. It was all raw prairie at that time. He paid $4.50 per acre for land, and bought 122 acres at first. His farm now consists of neary 200 acres, which he bought of J. C. Foreman, of Council Bluffs. They have reared four children, three girls and one boy. All were married. The eldest daughter, who died in February, 1881, was living in Nebraska; their son is living in Kansas, one of the girls is in Iowa, and the other is in Nebraska. At first, Council Bluffs was their trading point. After buying his place, he did not have much money left, so for some time they had a pretty hard lot of it, but, by hard work and economy, they soon were in comfortable circumstances. For some time after coming, he was in the stock business, but now he does not farm himself, so he sold off his stock and rents his land. He is Republican in politics, but does not take much interest in political matters. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity. His first house was 16x20 feet, and was made of cottonwood, the lumber being sawed near here, and cost about $25 per thousand. Even the shingles were of the same material. The same house they still use, but they have made considerable additions to it. Mr. Clark is a son of Erastus Clark, born in Connecticut, and one of a family of eleven children, who are scattered over the United States. Mrs. Clark is one of six children, one sister and one brother being deceased. When our subject and wife moved to this county, thoy came with a team of horses and two yoke of cattle, Mr. Clark's  father came with them, and drove a light buggy, our subject driving one team of cattle and Mrs. Clark the other, while their son, L, H. Clark, drove the loose cattle.


COPELAND, Thomas N.

Farmer, P. O. Loveland, was born in North Carolina in 1811, but was raised in Indiana, to which State his parents had moved when he was seven years old. He lived in Indiana until he came to this State in 1852, He was married in 1835 to Miss Barbara Frazier, born in Tennessee in 1816, She moved to Indiana with her parents when she was small. Mr. and Mrs. Copeland have five children living, four daughters and one son, all of whom are married and are living near them. They have buried four children - three boys and one girl; the oldest son dying in September, 1881. Our subject's oldest sou, J. A. Copeland, two sons-in-law and four brothers were in the late civil war, which they went through without receiving a scratch. Our subject arrived in this county in the fall of 1852. He came across the country in wagons, and made the trip of 500 miles in just four weeks. The winter following his arrival he passed just over the line in Harrison County. In February, 1853, he bought a 700-acre claim of Isaac Cox, for which he paid $470. He entered this, and shortly afterward moved onto it, living the first two years in a Mormon cabin. His farm now consists of 260 acres. With the exception of seventy acres which he sold, the balance of his original farm has gone to his children. His present home was built in the summer of 1855. It was constructed mostly of Cottonwood. Part of the original siding is still on. The house is 32x32, part of which is two stories high and has a basement. Our subject has been engaged in farming ever since coming to this couuty. He also ran a mill for nine years. The mill was erected by Loveland & Crayton, our subject purchasing the interest of Mr. Crayton. For nine years the firm name was Copeland & Loveland. His partner failing our subject took the mill, afterward selling it to Hawthorne & Co., who are its present owners. Our subject has always taken an active interest in school and township affairs, and has done much toward the prosperity and advancement of his section. Although seventy-one years old, he can read readily without the use of glasses, and his eyes appear to be stronger than they were forty years ago. In politics, he was first a Whig and afterward a Republican.


FOX, Basel

Farmer, P. O. Loveland, was born in Putnam County, Ind., in 1827, son of James S. and Elizabeth (Enoc) Fox; he, born in New Jersey, she a native of Pennsylvania. They were married in Ohio and emigrated to Indiana in 1826. Both are deceased. Our subject has one sister living, Mrs. Eliza Mullinix, who resides in Harrison County, this State. He was educated in his native State, where he lived until he was twenty-five years of age, when he started across the country with an ox-team and settled on his present farm in 1852. His resources at the time he arrived were $20.50 in cash, half-interest in the three yoke of oxen and wagon and a note against his brother for $55. They purchased together a claim of 400 acres at a cost of $20 in money and two yoke of cattle. Our subject bought his brother's interest for $110, and the wagon. He then got Judge Casady to enter eighty acres of the land on time, paying him forty per cent interest. In this manner he struggled on, and now owns 385 acres of the original 400, most of which is fenced and is in a state of cultivation. He has made many substantial improvements, including two barns, one of which is 22x75, and a two-story residence. Mr. Fox was married in Indiana in 1849 to Amanda J. Bell, born in the same State. They have had twelve children, of whom four boys and four girls are living; the eldest born in December,1850, and the youngest September 16, 1879. April 7, 1862, our subject enlisted in the Seventeenth Iowa Infantry, Company H, and after three years' service was mustered out at Davenport, this State. He took part in many heavy engagements, including Corinth, luka, Miss., Chattanooga and Mission Ridge. He was twice captured, once at Spring Place, Ga., and again at Tilton, Ga. He was five and a half months in Andersonville Prison, and was under medical treatment for ten mouths, being moved from one hospital to another. He is now a member of the Grand Army of the Republic, and in politics is a Republican.


FRAZIER, A.

Postmaster and farmer, Honey Creek, came from Putnam County, Ind., in the fall of 1854, and settled on his present place, his father entering the same. Our subject was born in Indiana in 1837; sou of J. T. Frazier, a native of Tennessee, but who was raised in Indiana, and is still living on the place they first settled. The mother of our subject is dead. He (subject) received his education in his native State. He was married, in 1857, to Miss Juliana Wild, a native of England. They have three children, one son and two daughters, all of whom are at home. When our subject and parents came to this county, they traversed the country in wagons, and were four weeks in making the trip. They purchased the improvements which the Mormons had made on the place, and entered it afterward. Council Bluffs was their trading point at this time. Our subject started a general store in Honey Creek in 1867. He is also the Postmaster at the latter place. His business, however, has been principally farming. He deals mostly in cattle, hogs and corn. His farm consists of 450 acres, 200 of which are under cultivation. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, and in politics is a Republican.


FRENCH, M. H.

Blacksmith, P. O. Loveland, is a native of New York; born in 1838; son of Adoniram French, a native of Connecticut, and a farmer by occupation. The parents are both deceased. They had eleven children, six sons and five daughters, of whom six are now living. Our subject received his education in the common schools of his native State, which he left in November, 1867, and came to this State, settling in Loveland with just $7 in his pocket. He was married, in 1858, to Miss Elizabeth Johnson, a native of Ireland. They have the following children: Edwiu C, born September 9, 1859; Ella M., born January 18, 1861; Willie L., born November 9, 1865; Jennie E., born April 22, 1870, and Arthur M., born August 30, 1873. The first three named were born in New York, and the latter two in this State. Ella M. was married, in September 1879, to F. I. Haldemaa, who is station agent at Clear Water, Neb., where they are now living. Our subject never farmed but one year. He sailed the lakes for three years, after which he settled on terra firma and went into the blacksmithing business, which he has followed for about twenty-five years. He runs a shop at present but seldom does any work in it himself, being engaged in partnership with his son in a general merchandise business in Loveland, in which he carries a stock of over $2,000. He is also agent for the Shugart Implement Company of Council Bluffs. Mr. French also has 109 acres of land in timber, from which he cuts from 200 to 250 cords per season. He also owns a good residence and two lots near the depot. Mr. and Mrs. French are members of the M. E. Church. In politics, he is a Democrat, and has always voted that ticket.


GOSS, H. W. A.

Farmer, P. O. Loveland, was born in Illinois in 1845. His parents came to Iowa when he was but five years old, and settled in this county on his present place in April, 1851. This has been his home ever since, except one year he lived in Missouri Valley, Harrison County. He is the son of Sherman Goss, who died in 1855; the mother died in 1881, aged seventy-seven years. Our subject was educated in this county. His business has always been farming. He has three brothers, one in Council Bluffs, one in Missouri Valley, Harrison County, and one in La Veta, Colo. Mr. Goss was married, in this county, to Miss Ella Boyd, of Harrison County, daughter of John Boyd. They were married in 1874, and have two children, both boys. Our subject had four brothers who went into the. army; one was killed. Mr. Goss was too young to go at the time. He is Republican in politics. The Mormons had been here before Mr. Goss came, but all the improvements they had made was to break our garden spots in the hollows, for they did not have teams sufficient to break up the heavy sod. They also had log huts covered with boards, and on these dirt. Mr. Goss' father bought a claim from the Mormons, and then entered land in 1853, as soon as it was open for entry. Entering at first 160 acres, most of it lying in the Boyer River bottom, but afterward entered more. Mr. Goss now has 106 acres. He is now living on the old place first settled. He remembers how they had to do the first ycar they were here. The very high waters washed out what mills there were within reach of them, so they did their own grinding, by putting corn in a large iron kettle and pounding it with an iron wedge. The finest they would sift out and make bread from, and the coarse they would make into mush and hominy. Hogs were so scarce it was almost a sight to see oue, but game was very plenty, When comiag here, Kauesville or Council Bluffs only had one hewn-log house, and that was a store. The rest were all round logs, and covered with dirt.


HOYT, W. E.

Boarding house and confectionery, Loveland, was born in Illinois in 1850, but came to Iowa when about five years old. His parents first settled twenty miles west of Iowa City, on the banks of the Iowa River. He is the son of H. B. Hoyt, who is still living. The mother died about 1866. In 1863, they moved to this county, and he has lived here ever since, except two years; one spent in the eastern part of the State and the other in Kansas. He was educated mostly in the schools of this county. He has three brothers and two sisters. He was raised on a farm, and for the first two or three years after starting out for himself, he followed farming. In 1879, he bought out the grocery stock of Mr. Joseph Moss, and continued in that business in Loveland for two years, then sold that out and started his present business of boarding house, restaurant and confectionery. He also owns and runs the Town Hall. He commenced on his present building March 1, 1881; the hall is 20x50, twelve-foot ceiling, and the restaurant department connected with the hall is 14x50. He was married, in 1875, to Miss Ellen Moss, daughter of Joseph Moss. They have one girl and oue boy. He is Democratic in politics, and at present is Justice of the Peace; also, has a blacksmith and wagon repairing shop.


JONES, Hardin

Farmer, P. O. Loveland, was born in 1810, in Keutucky, on the Green River, Casey County; then moved with his father to Orange County, Ind., in 1817, and then to Putnam County, lud., the fall of 1826. and remained there till the fall of 1855, when he came here. All of his family came at the same time, except one daughter, who came before. His onlv son now living, has been living by him ever since, their farms adjoining each other. He first bought 280 acres of Calvin Beebe, paying $2,650, and siuce that, he has added to his farm. He and son together have since had over 1,000 acres. Our subject now has 435 acres. Their farming is stock and grain. Mr. Jones served as County Judge one year, Auditor one year, Justice of the Peace for about twenty-one years. He was elected to the offlce of Justice of the Peace six days after he was eligible, and has been in county and township offices of some kind ever since till within a year. In moving here, they came in wagons, starting September 11 and arriving October 22, 1855. They camped out whenever night overtook them, and followed what was called tlie old Mormon trace. He is Democratic in politics. His first vote was for Gen. Jackson. He is a member of the Baptist Church. He was first married, October 18, 1832, to Asenath DuWeese. She died February 12, 1860, He was afterward married to Mrs, Mary Skelton, October 18, 1860. She died in March, 1881. He was again married to Mrs. Brunetta Moss. He had five children by his first wife; both his other wives had five children each when he married them, and he had no children by either of them.


JONES, John Green (see John Green Jones Cemetery)

Farmer, P. O. Loveland, came to this county in the fall of 1855, He was born in Indiana in 1834, son of Hardin Jones, who is still living in this township. Our subject lived in Putnam County till coming to, this State with his father. He bought from a man by the name of Beebe, who had improved the place to some extent, having about forty acres fenced and broken, and containing a log cabin 12x16 feet, in which our subject lived for two years. His father's cabin was about 16x20 feet. They bought about 280 acres when first coming, paying about $9 per acre. Although there was plenty of land that could be got for less, yet this suited them, and they were willing to pay the advance. Mr. Jones was married, in Indiana, in the fall of 1854, and then came West the following year. He was married to Miss Mary Ann Mace, born in Tennessee, but came to Indiana while small. Her parents moved to this State and lived here till they died. Mr. and Mrs. Jones have six children, five sous and one daughter. Two sons are married, and the others are all at home. Mr. Jones has three sisters living, but no brothers; four sisters came West with them, two of whom were married. Mr. Jones has a farm of 525 acres, about 250 being in cultivation, the remainder is in timber and grass land. He is Democratic in politics.


KELSEY, Oscar

Merchant and Postmaster, Lovelaud, came here and located permanently in the fall of 1875. He was born in Dearborn County, Ind., in 1847. He was raised on a farm and lived there until he came to Council Bluffs in 1871. He was educated in Moore's Hill College, Ind., which he left in his junior year on account of ill health, and came West and taught school till the spring of 1876, when he accepted a position as a bookkeeper in Copeland & Loveland's mill, in which capacity he was engaged up to 1880, when he and his brother bought their present store, where they carry a $1,600 stock of general merchandise, with annual sales of $5,000, which are steadily increasing. They purchased the store of J. A. Copeland, and have since continued in the business. They also run a farm. Our subject was married, December 25, 1875, to Miss T. E. Copeland, daughter of Thomas N. Copeland, whose biography appears elsewhere. They have three children - two sons and one daughter. In politics, our subject is a Republican, and has been such since John C. Fremont ran for President, for whom he and his brother were the only boys in the district school who would hurrah. Our subject is the present Postmaster of Loveland, having been appointed in the summer of 1880. His father, L. H. Kelsey, and his (subject's) mother are still living in Indiana.


LOWE, Henry

Farmer and charcoal dealer, Honey Creek, was born in England in 1844, and came to America, when he was six years old, with his parents. They stopped in Fall River, Mass., for about two years, during which time the father followed his trade of boss-carder in a cotton factory. They then moved to St. Louis, Mo., where they remained until 1854, when they came to the present place in Rockford Township. Our subject returned to St. Louis, coming back in 1857, and remained here ever since. He is the son of William Lowe, who is now a teacher of phonography in Ogden, Utah. The father was in the army; he belonged to the Seventh Missouri Cavalry, and went through the entire service. Our subject's grandfather, Lowe, was in the cavalry at the renowned battle of Waterloo. The mother of our subject died in St. Louis about 1855. Her parents - Mr. and Mrs. Allen - came West about 1850, and both died on our subject's place. He was married, August 24, 1862, to Esther Aveyard, who was born iu England in the same house as he was. Hiram Bostwick took her when she was six vears old and raised her. Mr. and Mrs. Lowe have had ten children, nine of whom - four boys and five girls - are living, and are all at home. The farm now consists of 220 acres, of which fifty acres are in tillable land, the balance being in timber and meadow. Our subject started iu life with nothing save determination to win. When he first came here, Mormon huts were the only improvements, and there was a Mormon Church on his present farm. He started into the charcoal business in 1879, in which he has continued since. He now has contracts for about 6,000 bushels. In politics, he is a Republican.


MOSS, Joseph

Agricultural implements, Loveland, was born in Greene County, Ind., in 1834, son of Aquilla Moss. His parents arc both dead. He was educated in Indiana and was married in Putnam County, of the same State, to Miss Mary Jane Joues, March 30,1854, and the nest year came West, settling in Harrison County, where he lived two years, and then sold out and came to this county and bought land, but sold out and went back to Indiana, where he remained four years and then came back in the fall of 1864, and has been here ever since, buying a place about two and a half miles south of Loveland. Was appointed Deputy Sheritf, and served four years under George Doughty, and then came back to Rockford Township and has lived in the township since, but as he has two farms and property in Loveland his time has not been given to either. In the two farms he has 380 acres, about 200 acres being in cultivation, forty in timber and the remainder in grass land. In 1878, he moved into Loveland and went into the grocery business for two years, aud also was in his present business of agricultural implements. After two years, he sold his stock of groceries, and since has been giving his time to the implement business and to the carrying on of his farms. When he got to this State first, it was with a wagon and team and 30 cents in money. The first winter in Iowa was his hard winter, for he had no money, but worked at anything he could get to do. Shocked corn in the snow, bare handed, for John S. Goss, and got $1 per day. Game of all kinds was plenty aud that furnished them meat. Paid $9 per hundred for flour. Pork 9 cents per pound. In the next spring he went to work his father-in-law's farm and made his start that way, for part of the corn he raised he sold for $3 per bushel. With this he entered land, improved and sold, aud kept this up for some time, buying and selling. He has been a Democrat all his life, and has held offices of some kind for over twentv years, is now a Justice of the Peace. He was at one time engaged in buying and shipping stock and trading of all kinds, but for four years he has uot been engaged in any very active business. He aud wife are both very active members of the Baptist Church. They have had ten children, four married, four at home and two are deceased.


SEEBOLD, Joseph

Farmer, P. O. Loveland, was born in Dutchess County, N. Y., in 1826, and went to Michigan while small. He made Michigan his home till 1850, when he crossed the plains to California, stopping in Iowa for some weeks. He remained in California for five years. While there, he was mining most of the time. Then he returned to Michigan in June, 1855, remaining there till December of the same year, and then came to this county, arriving here about the 1st of January, 1856. He crossed the State by stage. It was storming badly, and the driver got lost on the prairie and night came on. Mr. Seebold was the only passenger, so they tied the horses to the coach and went inside, tore up the carpeting of the stage, aud in that and what robes they had they wrapped up for the night, but it was all they could do to keep from freezing. The next morning, aid was sent for, but they had managed to find the way into the station before it came. He was married at Magnolia, Iowa, January 12, 1856, by Judge Hardy, then Judge of Harrison County, to Miss Jane Palmer. She had come to Harrison County, with her uncle, from Michigan, in 1852. They have nine children, five boys and four girls, all of whom are at home. lu April, 1856, our subject came to Rockford Township, and has been in it ever since, and about twenty-three years on his present farm. In 1864, he went into the service, going into the Third Iowa Battery, O. H. Lyons commander, in Gen. Solomon's division, then at Little Rock, Ark., and then removed to Fort Smith, Ark. This was the last battery mustered out of the Seventh Army Corps. He is Republican in politics. His farming is general, but for a few years he has turned his attention to sorghum, raising sorghum cane to quite an extent. His farm is well improved. When first coming here, in 1856, there was only one house on the Missouri bottom between Loveland and Calhoun, Harrison County.


WEST, George

Farmer, P. O. Loveland, was born in Ohio in 1825, son of Harmon West, a native of Virginia, and a descendent of Gov. West, who was Governor of that State while it was a British colony. Our subject's parents who are both deceased, had fourteen children, of whom six are now living. Our subject received his education in his native State, and was raised on a farm. He came West, and settled in Illinois in 1850, where he remained until 1856, when he came to this State, and located across the line, between this and Harrison Counties. He was married, in Illinois, in 1851, to Miss Susan Drumm. They have eight children, four sons and four daughters, of whom one son and a daughter are married. Our subject first settled in Cincinnati Township. Harrison County, adjoining Rockford Township on the north. He settled on the bottoms, to the west and north of the Boyer, but was unable to secure a title to the land, as it was undecided whether it was swamp or Government land. At that time, most of the settlers here were formerly Mormons, who had become dissatisfied with that religion and had not gone to Salt Lake with the balance. Our subject did not secure a title to the land until about 1860. He sold his first land and went to the river, where he had a tract of timber. Here he ran a saw-mill for about two years. In 1868, he sold the mill and timber to the railroad company for $15,000 ; after which he went to steamboating on the Missouri River. In the following year, his boat, which carried both freight and passengers, was burned at Omaha, Neb., with a loss to himself of about $9,000. This was the Lydia Grace. He had previously, in 1863, lost another boat, the Emma, which sank in the river, he losing about $2,000. In 1869, he came to his present farm, which now consists of 400 acres, which is mostly in corn. The life of our subject shows what a man with perseverance and energy can accomplish. He has made and lost two or three fortunes. His various occupations have subjected him to all kinds of exposure; he has employed from twenty to thirty men at a time. After a residence in this part of the State for about twenty-eight years, he concluded that one who has a home in Pottawattamie County cannot better himself in any part of this terrestrial sphere. In politics, he is a Republican.


ZAHNER, Frank

Farmer, P. O. Missouri Valley, was born in Dubuque County, this State, December 26, 1852; son of Jacob J. Zahner, who came to this county about 1856. Our subject came here with his parents, and has since lived here. He was educated in this county, going three miles to school in winter, and working in the summer. When he was nineteen years old, he went to Jewell County, Kan., and took up a pre-emption claim of 160 acres, which he kept for five years, finally trading for 140 acres of his present place, paying $800 difference. He made a subsequent purchase of 160 acres, and of his present fiirm 130 acres are in cultivation, the balance being in pasture and meadow. He was married, March 29, 1875, to Miss Clara Kirkland, born in Logan County, Ohio, daughter of Samuel Kirkland, who came to this county about the time our subject did. He died in the army. Mrs. Kirkland is still living near Neola, this county. Our subject has three children, two boys and one girl. He and his brotlier-in-law, W. T. Roden, are engaged in stock-dealing, in which business our subject has been for about three years. In the winter of 1880, they shipped 1,600 head of cattle, besides hogs. Mr. Zahner's farming consists principally in raising corn for his stock. Though young at the time, Mr. Zahner remembers the winter of the deep snow, when his father, in company with four others, started to mill, with four yoke of cattle, and some corn. They set out for what was then called the Willow Mill, a distance of twelve miles, which took them all day to travel. Our subject has three thoroughbred cattle, which came from Corbin & McClintock, Kentucky. He is Republican in politics, and in religion a Catholic.



ZAHNER, Jacob J.

Farmer, P. O. Loveland, is a native of Switzerland. He was born in October, 1818, and came to America when he was about twenty-six years of age. About two years later, he was married in Michigan, in which State he had first settled, to Miss Katharine Mundinzer, a native of Germany, who came to this country previous to our subject. They were married at the house of a Mr. Lusts. They came from Michigan to Dubuque, this State, about 1851, and lived there till about 1856, when he came to this county, and settled on his present farm, which now consists of 220 acres. Our subject was in the military school in the old country with Gen. Sigel, of rebellion fame; he also served his time in the Swiss Army; he is a Catholic in religion and in politics a Republican.


From History of Pottawattamie County, Iowa, published by O. L. Baskin & Co.
Read Terms, Conditions and Disclaimers

Home
  Biog Home