ANDERSON, A. J.
merchant and farmer, Carson, was born in La Salle County, Ill., April
12, 1842. His father, Jacob Anderson, was born in Norway in June, 1807;
emigrated to America when eighteen years old in 1819; settled first in
New York, where he remained till going to Illinois in the year after
the Black Hawk war. He settled in La Salle County, where he remained
till the fall of 1848, then removed to Iowa, settling in Grove
Township, Pottawattamie County, on a farm of 680 acres, which he
improved; he remained there till the spring of 1854, when he crossed
the plains with ox teams to Napa County, Cal., where he lived on a farm
till his death, May 4, 1864. The family remained in California till
1868, when the mother of our subject, with two children, returned to
Iowa, and settled on the old farm in Grove Township, Pottawattamie
County. Subject's mother was born in Norway January 1, 1814, and
emigrated to America with her father's family (said to be the first
Norwegian family to come to America) and who became permanent settlers.
She is living with the subject of this sketch, her only surviving
child. Mr. Anderson began life on his own responsibility in California
on a farm; there he remained but a year or two, when he emigrated to
Iowa, settling in Grove Township, Pottawattamie County, on a farm,
where he was engaged exclusively in farming and stock dealing till he
entered the grain business in Carson, erecting an elevator, which he
owns and operates in connection with his farm. He first bought a
partial interest in the old homestead of 680 acres in Grove Township,
Pottawattamie County, then his mother's interest; since then he has
added land until the farm now contains 1,000 acres. This farm consists
of what is known as Wheeler's Grove, in Grove Township, and is very
valuable. There being 200 acres of good timber land. Mr. Anderson lives
in Carson; he married Miss Melissa Broadhurst. of Napa County, Cal.,
June 24, 1866. She was born in Berrien County, Mich., January 2, 1846;
her father Joseph Broadhurst, born in Ohio in May, 1818, lives in
California; her mother, Nancy (Gorham) Broadhurst, born in Indiana June
10, 1826, died March 9, 1854. Mr. Anderson is a member of the church of
Latter Day Saints; he is no partisan in politics.
BRADLEY, J. C.
Farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. Macedonia, was born in Adams County,
Ill., July 15, 1844; his father, E. C. Bradley, was born in Livingston
County, N. Y., about 1817;
he emigrated to Iowa in 1834, settling in Davenport when there was but
one frame house in that place; from Davenport he came to Qnincy, Ill.,
and he now lives in that State; he was married in 1842 to Mahala J.
Foy, mother of our subject; she was born in Chautauqua County, N. Y.,
about 1827; she is the mother of six children, one of whom is dead. Mr.
Bradley worked on a farm a few months, and then, January 1, 1862,
enlisted in the Tenth Illinois Infantry, in which he served two years
and three months. After returning from the army, he farmed in
Illinois one year, then came to Decatur County, Iowa, thence to Marion
County, where he was engaged in farming from 1865 to 1871, then he
moved to Mills County and settled near Hastings; came from there,
February 22, 1876, and located on his present farm of 120 acres,
situated three miles west of Macedonia. Mr. Bradley was married in
Knoxville, Marion Co., Iowa, F.ebruary 6, 1868, to Miss M. E. Carle,
born January 25, 1849, daughter of Eber and Mary N. (Pastory) Carle;
he, born in Pennsylvania, January 27. 1818, now living in Marion
County, Iowa; his wife died about 1866. Mr. and Mrs. Bradley have had
seven children, one of whom is dead, their names are Clarence W.,
Armina M., F. E., Nora G., Roxie and Louetta. Mrs. Bradley is a member
of the Christian Church. Mr. Bradley is an Odd Fellow, and a
BULLA, L. D.
Lumber merchant, Macedonia, was born in Tippecanoe County, Ind.,
January 16, 1844; his father, James Bulla, born in Tennessee, December
7, 1815, but reared till ten or twelve years old in Georgia, whence he
emigrated to Indiana. He, with five brothers, landed at Richmond, Ind.,
when it was a wilderness ; there four of the brothers lived and died
strict members of the Quaker Church. Father of subject was a
brick-layer and stone-mason by trade, and died in Danville, Ill.,
September 11, 1861. Subject's mother, Abigail (Osborn) Bulla, born in
Ohio October 28, 1824; she was the mother of four children, of whom
subject is the oldest; but two of the children are living. Mr. Bulla's
father came to Iowa, and at Des Moines took up land near Fort Dodge in
the fall of 1854, which land subsequenth' fell to the heirs. Mr. Bulla
attended the common schools, and was bound out when about eleven years
old, continuing thus till the spring of 1861, when he enlisted in
Company G, Twentieth Indiana Volunteers. He served as private for three
years and forty-one days; being in thirteen skirmishes and fourteen
pitched battles; was wounded four times and carries a buckshot in his
face. After returning from the army, he attended school two terms at
the State Normal at Kokomo, Ind., then he taught school one winter, and
in the spring of 1865 came to Iowa, settling near Fort Dodge on the
farm that his father had entered in 1854. He remained in this county
three years, sold out and moved to Linn County, near Mr. Vernon, where
he ran a saw-mill one year, then came to Council Bluffs in April, 1870.
There he was engaged in the saw-mill business with Shugart &
Liningertill the spring of 1876.
Then he moved to Emerson, Mills Co., Iowa, and started in the implement
business, in the spring of 1879, adding hardware to his other business,
which he conducted successfully, till being burned out in September,
1879. Then he rebuilt, took a partner, and opened a hardware and
grocery store. He sold out in July, 1880, came to Macedonia, and
entered the lumber business with Lewis Hammer, of Council Blutfs, where
he still remains. Mr. Bulla married Miss Sarah J. Albee, at Fort Dodge,
March 25, 1866. She was born in Ohio, October 11, 1845; her father,
Heiman C. Albee. born at Rutland, Vt., in 1819; emigrated to Ohio when
a young man; there he married, raised his family, and from there
emigrated to Fort Dodge, Iowa, with his brother, E. H. Albee, in 1854,
and there they still live. Mrs. Bulla's mother, Mary Rowson, was born
November 29, 1815, and is the mother of seven children, three of whom
are living. Mr. and Mrs. Bulla have had three children; they are,
Oliver Morton, Mary O., Josie Ellen, Lena Abigal (deceased). Mr. Bulla
is a member of the Masonic fraternity, and also of the M. E. Church. He
is an active Republican.
CALE, A. M.
Farmer, P. O. Macedonia, was born in Preble County, Ohio, January 9,
1840. His father, George F. Cale, born in Pennsylvania in 1812; he
emigrated to Ohio when a boy, and there followed farming in Preble
County till he died in 1845. Subject's mother, Henrietta McCabe, born
in Delaware in 1812, was the mother of six children, and died in 1860.
Mr. Cale attended the schools of Lee County, Iowa, then entered Denmark
Academy of Lee County, Iowa, where he attended four years, and would
have graduated in 1862, but he left his class two months before
graduation, and enlisted in Company G, Fourth Iowa Cavalry, continuing
in the army till the close of the war. He was promoted after a service
of nearly three years as a private, to the Captaincy of a company of
scouts, which position he held till the close of the war.
Mr. Cale was in nineteen
general engagements. After leaving the army, Mr. Cale engaged in
carpenter work, which trade he had learned before the war, and this
work he followed in Kansas City, Mo., as a contractor for about sixteen
months, then removed to Lee County, thence to Moulton, Iowa, where he
followed contracting for four years, thence to Missouri, and went into
the hotel business for about five years, then came to Pottawattamie
County, Iowa, and settled in Macedonia Township. He built the hotel
known as the Macedonia House in Macedonia. He owns 345 acres of land,
valued at $30 per acre in this township. Mr. Cale is a purely self made
man. He was married, September 4, 1864, in Fort Madison, Lee Co., Iowa,
to Miss E. B. Babb, of Denmark, Iowa, who was born in Ashtabula County,
Ohio, December 23, 1845; her father, Clark Babb, born in Livingston
County, N. Y., April 7, 1811, died September 27, 1865, in Lee County,
Iowa; her mother, Louisa A. Case, born in Ashtabula County, Ohio, July
21, 1820, died July 15, 1876; she was the mother of five children. Mr.
Cale is a Republican, and, a member of the I. O. O. F., of Macedonia
Lodge, No. 421. Mr. and Mrs. Cale have four children - Ada M., born
October 5, 1865; Lola B., February 11, 1868; Maud L., November 8, 1869,
and Charlie F., July 18, 1871.
CARTER, Rev. J. W.
Clergyman, Macedonia, was born in Clermont County, Ohio, November 25,
1819; his father, John S. Carter, was born in Gloucester County, N. J.,
December 30, 1787, was married in the same county, and emigrated to
Ohio in 1810, where he followed farming, and carpentering till his
death, which occurred October 15, 1856. Subject's mother, Ann (Ware)
Carter, was born in Gloucester County, N. J., May 6, 1791; she was the
mother of eight children, of whom five are living; she died April 2,
1840. Mr. Carter was educated in the common schools of Ohio, where he
taught several years, then entered the Bethel Academy, where he
graduated in 1848, then he pursued the study of theology under the
direction of the Presbytery of Sangamon, of the Cumberland Presbyterian
Church. He labored within the bounds of that Presbytery till coming to
Iowa in 1871, when he settled in Macedonia Township, Pottawattamie
County, where he organized a church in old Macedonia in April, 1871.
Mr. Carter continues as pastor of this church, and he also organized a
church in May, 1875, at Wheeler's Grove, in Grove Township,
Pottawattamie Co., Iowa. Mr. Carter now lives in Macedonia; he has been
a Republican from the first organization of the party. He is also a
member of the Masonic fraternity. Mr. Carter married Miss Malinda
Sargent, in Ohio, August 30, 1842; she was born in Kentucky December 1,
1816; her father, John Sargent, died in 1852, at the age of about
eighty-five years; her mother, Mary (Lamb) Sargent, died in 1818, when
Mrs. Carter was about two years old. Mr. and Mrs. Carter have had eight
children, of whom five are living - Mary E., Joseph E., John E., Soma
and Eva. Mr. Carter's life has been an active one, and he is a ver
CLAYTON, Hon. B. F.
Farmer, stock and real estate dealer, P. O. Macedonia, is the
proprietor of Sunnyside Stock Farm, situated one and three quarters
miles southwest of the town of Macedonia; he is interested in an
agricultural implement house in Macedonia, known by the firm name of
Clayton & Clark, also in a similar house in Carson, known as the
Carson Implement Company. Mr. Clayton is a stockholder and Director in
the Macedonia Bank. He was elected by the Eighteenth General Assembly
of the State of Iowa, served term of six years on the Board of Trustees
of the Deaf and Dumb Ayslum situated at Council Bluffs, of which board
he is Chairman. Mr. Clayton was born in Nicholas County, Ky., January
10, 1839, and leaving the parental roof at the age of sixteen years,
went directly to Decatur County, Ind., and went to work by the month.
He remained in Indiana from 1855 to 1873, during which time he served
three years on the Board of County Commissioner of Decatur County; he
followed farming as a business while there. In October, 1873, Mr.
Clayton came to Pottawattamie County, Iowa, and settled where he now
lives, buying at that time 320 acres partially improved, which he has
since added to till now Sunnyside farm contains over 500 acres, and Mr.
Clayton has over 1,600 acres in the county, most of which is improved.
His father, William M. Clayton, born in Virginia in 1788, came to
Kentucky, duriug boyhood with his parents, was a soldier in the war of
1812, being under Capt. Metcalf, who was afterward Governor of
Kentucky; he was a mechanic during life, and died in 1852, in Robinson
County, Ky. Subject's mother, Mary (Adair) Clayton, was born in
Nicholas County, Ky. Subject has but one full sister, one half-brother
and three half-sisters. Mr. Clayton has held some township office ever
since he came to the State, and served iu the Seventeenth and
Eighteenth General Assemblies of the State of Iowa, being Chairman of
the Agricultural Committee, in the Eighteenth General Assembly. Mr.
Clayton is a Master Mason. He is an active member of the Methodist
Episcopal Church, and is a Trustee of Simpson Centenary College,
situated at Indianola, Iowa. Mr. Clayton was first married to Miss
Priscilla Martin of Decatur County, Ind., March 2, 1862; she died in
Indiana in 1868. He married again, September 22, 1869, to Miss Nannie
M. Hamilton; she was born in Decatur County, Ind., May 22, 1852; her
father, D. N. Hamilton, born in Harrison County, Ky., November, 1817;
he is a farmer, living in Indiana; her mother, Martha A. Taylor, born
in Harrison County, Ky., in January, 1819, died December 24, 1864. Mr.
and Mrs. Clayton have two children - William N. and Mona V.
CRAIG, Dr. John
Farmer, P. O. Macedonia, was born in Indiana, April 23, 1835; his
father, William Craig, was born in Scotland in 1800; came to America in
1820, landing first in Charleston, S. C; from there he moved from place
to place, following his trade of weaving, or serving as overseer of
power looms. He finally moved to a farm in Franklin County, Ind., and
followed his trade in connection with farming for some years; then sold
his farm and moved to Decatur County; bought a farm, improved it, and
followed his trade and farming again for several years; then moved into
the town of Greensburg, Ind. He lived there for several years, and then
moved to the town of Milford, Ind., where he died in 1879. Subject's
mother, Jane Gilchrist, was born in Scotland in 1800; she and Mr. Craig
were engaged in Scotland, and during the religious troubles there Mr.
Craig had to fly for his life, being a strong advocate of the
Presbyterian Church; his intended wife soon followed, and they were
married in the city of Charleston, S, C; she died about 1871, and was
the mother of seven children, two of whom are dead. Dr. Craig received
a common school education in Indiana; read medicine with Dr. George V.
Armington, and finished reading witli Dr. Mitchell; then attended two
courses of lectures at the Eclectic Medical Institute of Cincinnati,
Ohio, from which he graduated in February. 1857. He began practicing in
March, 1857, at Milford, Ind.; continued there till 1865, excepting an
absence of about two years, which time he spent in Greensburg, Ind,;
then, on account of poor health, he moved to Highland Township, Wapello
Co,, Iowa, in 1865, and went on a farm. He managed his farm and
practiced, remaining there for several years, when he met with an
accident, and went to Cincinnati, where he was treated for fifteen
months by his favorite surgeon, Prof. Z, Freeman. Recovering, he
returned to his home in Wapello County, where he remained till 1873;
then he traded for the farm of 160 acres on which he now resides,
moving onto it m the spring of 1875. Since then the Doctor has not been
in active practice, but devotes his attention to farming, stock raising
and feeding. This farm is three and one-half miles west of the town of
Macedonia. Dr. Craig was married in Lebanon County, Ohio, in February,
1857, to Miss Sarah J. Dyche, of Lebanon; she was born about 1832, at
State Line, Ohio; she died in February, 1859, He married a second time,
in 1860, Miss Lydia Richman, born in Ohio, about 1834, and who died in
1863. Dr. Craig married a third time, in September, 1864, to Anna J.
Huffer, of Bartholomew County, Ohio; she was born in same county in
1840; her father, David Huffer, was born in 1811, in Ohio; is now
living in Indiana; her mother, Delila Bruner. died in
1846. Dr. Craig has one daughter by his first marriage - F. J.; two
boys by his second -
Isadore E. and Charles F.; three by his third wife - William D., Claud
L. and J. Freddie (deceased). Dr. Craig and wife are members of the M.
E. Church of Macedonia. The Doctor is Master of Ruby Lodge No. 415, A.
F. & A. M., of Macedonia. He is a firm Republican.
Farmer, P. O. Carson, was born in Richland County, Ohio, August 15,
1826; his father, James Doty, was born in Virginia in 1802, and died in
Richland County, Ohio, January 4, 1879; he was a farmer by occupation;
in 1846, he was elected Sheriff of Ashland County, Ohio, being the
first Sheriff of that county. Subject's mother, Sarah Croniger, was
born in Pennsylyania in 1806, and died in 1849; she was the mother of
ten children, eight of whom are living, six of them in Iowa. Mr. Doty
received but a limited education in the common schools, but he
afterward attended the Ashland Academy in Ohio; he taught in that State
about seven years. He began by farming; then came to Iowa in the fall
of 1853, and settled in Johnson County, where he farmed and taught
school for awhile; in that county he served as Justice of the Peace for
tweuty years, and also served as County Supervisor one term. In March,
1876, he sold his property in Johnson County, and came to Pottawattamie
County, settling in Pleasant Township, five miles west of Avoca, till
October 12, 1880, when he came to his present home of 200 acres, about
two and one-half miles west of Carson; the land is now valued at about
$45 an acre. Mr. Doty was first married in Ohio, August 23, 1849, to
Elizabeth A. Kagy, who died August 25, 1850. Mr. Doty was married
again, in the same State, December 25, 1851, to Mary Hilborn, born in
Ohio October 17, 1832, and died February 13, 1882. Mr. Doty has five
children - Sarah M., James M., T. E., Mary C. and E. C. The family are
members of the M. E. Church of Carson. Mr. Doty is an A. F. & A.
M.. and a Democrat in
Farmer, P. O. Macedonia, was born in Lee County, Iowa, August 29, 1847;
his father, Henry Dye, was born about 1815, and is a farmer, living in
Washington Township, Lee County, Iowa. Subject's mother, Jane
(Micklewait) Dye, was born in England in 1822, and came to America when
eight years of age; she died about 1858, having given birth to seven
children. Mr. Dye worked on his father's farm until March, 1873, when
he migrated to Pottawattamie
County and bought 160 acres where he now lives, three and a half miles
southwest of Macedonia. To this land he has since added 50 acres,
paying about $10 an acre for the whole. It is now finely improved and
valued at $40 an acre. January 1, 1873, Mr. Dye married Miss Mary G.
Snapp, of Lee County, Iowa, born February 27, 1851; her father, Simpson
Snapp, was born in Washington County, Tenn., in 1816, and migrated to
Lee County, Iowa, in 1837, where he died in 1874; her mother was born
about 1823, and died about 1868. Mr. and Mrs. Dye have five children -
H. W., born December 10, 1874; Daisy, March 9, 1876; George, April 23,
1877; H. S., October 10, 1879, and Effie M., January 5, 1881. Mr. Dye
is an Odd Fellow and a Democrat.
Merchant, Macedonia, was born in Lee County, Iowa, in May, 1843. His
father, Henry Dye, was born in Miami County, Ohio, in 1814. From there,
he emigrated to the State of Indiana; thence to Lee County, Iowa, in
1839, where he now lives. He is a member of the Pioneer Association of
Lee County, Iowa, being one of the oldest members of the association.
He has been a farmer all his life; has been Justice of the Peace.
Subject's mother, Jane (Mickelwait) Dye, was born in York, England,
about 1823; she came to America with her parents in 1829. Her father
was a farmer; settled at Jacksonville, Ill., remained there about nine
years, and subsequently moved to Lee County, Iowa, where he died in
1856. Mr. Dye has four brothers and one sister. He was educated at
Denmark Academy, in Lee County, Iowa. From attending this institution,
Mr. Dye went to the army, enlisting in Company E, of the Nineteenth
Iowa Volunteers, serving in the capacity of a private for three years.
After returning from the army, he came to Mills County, Iowa, in the
fall of 1865; there he rented a farm for about six years, then bought
in Macedonia Township, Pottawattamie County, where he farmed until
1880, when he with his brother formed a partnership in a general store,
the firm going by the name of W. Dye & Co. Mr. Dye still owns and
conducts his farm of 210 acres, situated three and a half miles
southwest of Macedonia. The firm of W. Dye & Co. was burned out
March 6, 1882, but they have their new brick building now almost
completed. Thus we have traced the movements of one of Iowa's most
thrifty, self-made business men. During the time spent in the army, Mr.
Dye was taken prisoner in the State of Louisiana in the fall of 1863,
and confined at Tvler, Tex., for ten months; he was at the siege of
Vicksburg and various other engagements. He is a member of the Odd
Fellows' Lodge of Macedonia. He married Miss Mary J. Linville, of
Grlenwood, Mills County, Iowa, January 16, 1868; she was born in
Nodaway County, Mo., in 1851. Her father, George Linville, was born in
Tennessee in 1815, and came to Iowa in 1856; he still lives in Mills
County, Iowa. Her mother, Sarah Burris, was born in Tennessee, and is
the mother of eight children. Mr. and Mrs. Dye have three children -
Claud, Emma L. and Willoughby. Mr. Dye was a successful candidate for
the office of County Supervisor in the fall of 1879. He served his
constituency very satisfactorily during a term of three years, being
elected by the Democratic party, with W. Fay as opponent.
EUSTIS, G. D.
Furniture dealer and undertaker, Carson, was born in St. Lawrence
County, N. Y., May 5. 1846, son of George and Jane (McCoy) Eustis, he
born in England in September, 1809, was a farmer by occupation, and was
5, 1854, by the accidental discharge of a blast while he was foreman of
a gang of miners at Brogville; she born in Ireland in February, 1813,
and has given birth to eleven children, two of whom are dead. Mr.
Eustis began to work at farming when twelve years of age, his father
having died. After two years of farm life, he served an apprenticeship
of two years at the carpenter's trade, and then, at the age of sisteen,
enlisted in Company G, One Hundred and Sixth New York Infantry. During
the last year of his service, he was color-bearer for his regiment.
Tliis regiment was a part of the Army of the Potomac, and consequently
Mr. Eustis was in many severe engagements. At the battle of Cold
Harbor, June 1, 1864, Col. Townsend, of Mr. Eustis' regiment, was
killed, and of the forty-eight men composing Company C, twenty-five
were killed, Mr. Eustis himself being wounded. He, with his regiment,
were mustered out at Ogdensburg, B. Y., July 16, 1865. After returning
from the army, Mr. Eustis spent about eight months in his native
county, then came to Montgomery County, Ill., where he conducted a farm
one year, and worked at the carpenter's trade one year. He removed to
Galesburg, and worked at his trade from 1868 to 1878, then came to
Stuart, Iowa, where he conducted a furniture business till June, 18S1,
when he came to Carsou and opened a furniture and undertaking
establishment, where he now is. Mr. Enstis was married, in Galesburg,
Ill., March 16, 1870, to Elizabeth Young, born in 1844, daughter of
Robert and Rosanna (Wilson) Young, he born in New York in 1790, was a
farmer by occupation, and died July 22, 1877; she born in Maryland, and
is living with our subject. Mr. and Mrs. Eustis have four children -
Albert, Eddie, Ida M. and Ralph. Mr. Eustis is a member of the I. O. O.
F., No. 444., and is a Republican in politics.
FENDER, John F.
Farmer, P. O. Carson was born in North Carolina about 1832, son of Levi
and Jane (Evans) Fender; the former born in North Carolina, where he
died about 1865; the parents had twelve children, seven of whom are
living. Mr. Fender moved from his native State to Hardin County, Iowa,
about 1868; thence to Pottawattamie County about 1872, where he leased
land about one and a half years, then bought eighty acres at $11 an
acre. He now has 160 acres valued at about $35 an acre. He has a very
good young orchard, and quite a quantity of small fruits. The cyclone
of June 9, 1880, damaged Mr. Fender about $500, a fine colt being
killed, and half of his stock being blown a quarter of a mile from the
house. Mr. Fender was married, in North Carolina, in 1866, to Millie
Dillard, born in North Carolina about 1834, daughter of James and Polly
(Spurling) Dillard, natives of North Carolina. Mr. and Mrs. Fender are
the parents of two children - James, born in North Carolina, and
Willie, born in Iowa. Mr. Fender enlisted in Company F, Twenty-second
North Carolina Regiment in 1861, and was discharged in 1865. He engaged
in the battles of Seven Pines, Chancellorville, Gaine's Mill, Tnrkey
Ridge, and many other minor battles. Mr. Fender is a member of the
Christian Church, and is a Republican.
FIELD, L. S.
Lumber merchant, Carson, was born in Bakersfield, Franklin Co., Vt.,
May 22, 1846; his father, Alanson Field, born in Bakersfield, Vt., July
6, 1820; his forefathers were brought to America as members of
Burgoyne's army, during the Revolution, his father being in the battle
of Plattsburg. Subject's mother, P. W. (Cutler) Field, was born in
Bakersfield, Vt., Nov. 2, 1817, and is the mother of four children, of
whom two are in the West. Mr. Field attended the common schools of his
native State, and also the Academy of Bakersfield. He worked on a farm
in his native State till coming West in 1866, when he landed at Council
Bluffs, having come there by boat, there being no railroads at that
time. He spent his first winter in a saw-mill, his second as a school
teacher in Pottawattamie County. The following five years were spent as
civil engineer on the railroad lines of the R. I. & Pacific, B.
& M. and various other lines; leaving this he spent about one year
in Council Bluflfs. In 1874, he went into the lumber business at Avoca,
Pottawattamie County, where he remained in the same business till
locating in Carson, in 1880; thence he opened the first yard in the
town. Mr. Field married Miss Ella T. Adams, in Ottumwa, Iowa, January
27, 1874. She was born in Ottumwa August 13, 1850. Her father, John J.
Adams, was born in Abingdon, Va., April 8, 1807, came to Iowa in 1836,
locating at Burlington, then not as large as Carson now is. Her mother,
Evaline Trueman Adams, was born in Kentucky February 22, 1812; was the
mother of two children. She died August 13, 1850, at Ottumwa, Iowa. Mr.
and Mrs. Field have four children - John A., Arthur L., Pearl I. and
George A. Mr. Field is a Republican, and a member of the Odd Fellows
Lodge, No. 444, at Carson. He and wife are members of the Presbyterian
FURROW, G. W.
Merchant, Carson, was born in Shelby County, Ohio. March 28, 1832. His
father, James Furrow, was born in Blackford County, Va., about 1792; he
removed with his family to Ohio, where he owned and operated a large
farm, and at the same time was Canal Contractor in Miami Extension
Canal, north of Dayton; he died about 1842. Subject's mother, Mary
(Peterman) Furrow, was born in Blackford County, Va-, and died with the
cholera. She was the mother of ten children, all but one of whom
married and raised families of their own. At fifteen vears of age, Mr.
Furrow learned the trades of mason, bricklayer and plasterer; these he
followed till 1861. April 17 of that year, he first enlisted in the
army; the following August he re-enlisted for three years; he next
enlisted in the Eighth Indiana Infantry, a regiment organized as
veterans at Indianola, Texas, January 1, 1864. May 21st of that year,
Mr. Furrow was promoted from First Sergeant to Captain of Company F,
Eighth Indiana Infantry Veteran Volunteers, in which capacity he served
till the close of the war. May 22, 1863, at the siege of Vicksburg,
Capt. Furrow received a wound which disabled him three months. From
Vicksburg his regiment went to New Orleans; thence north and joined
Sheridan's command. After leaving the army at the close of the war,
Capt. Furrow opened a meat market, then, after dealing in stock in
general for two years, he bought a farm near Wabash, Ind., where he
remained till 1874, then sold out and came to Pottawattamie County,
Iowa. He farmed first in Knox Township till March, 1882, when he came
to Carson, where he owns and operates a grocery store. Capt. Furrow was
married in Wabash County, Ind., November 20, 1866, to Elvira Lewis,
bora in Grant County,
Ind., December 25, 1839, daughter of James and Rosanna (McClure) Lewis;
he, born in Virginia in 1805, is now living in Shelby County, Iowa;
she, born iu Ohio, died in 1865 in Indiana. The cliildren of Capt. and
Mrs. Furrow are L. Edith, James F., Nellie M., Winnie G. and Charles E.
(deceased). Capt. Furrow and wife are members of the Methodist
Episcopal Church. He is a Republican.
HAMILTON, W. J.
Famer, P. O. Macedonia, was born in Indiana in 1842. His father, David
N. Hamilton, was born in Kentucky in December, 1818, and is a retired
farmer living in Greensburg, Ind. Subject's mother. Martha A. (Taylor)
born about 1820, and died in 1864. She was the mother of eleven
children, three of whom are dead. Mr. Hamilton came from his native
State to Mills County, Iowa, in 1869, settling near Hastings, where he
owned and farmed eighty acres for five years; he then sold out and
bought another farm near Macedonia, in the township of that name. After
living on this farm about four years, he sold it to his brother. J. W.
Hamilton, and then bought his present farm of 400 acres. This farm is
three and a
half miles from Macedonia, and has a very sightly location; it is worth
$35 an acre. March 12, 1863, Mr. Hamilton married Miss Hattie Phillips,
who died in 1866. He was married a second time, in 1869, to Mrs. Hattie
(Brown) Tindal, born iu Indiana in 1843, daughter of John C. and Mary
(Hattan) Brown; he, born in Peunsylvania in 1799, died in Indiana in
1864; she, born in New Jersey about 1802, was the mother of five
children, and died in 1876. Mr. and Mrs. Hamilton have had three
children - Myrta C, born January 11, 1871; Pearl, born February 4,
1876, died January 3, 1879; William J., born November 13, 1879. Mr.
Hamilton and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He is
an A. F. & A. M., and a Republican.
HOOKER, A. R.
Farmer, P. O. Carson, was born May 1, 1851, in Gerry, Chautauqua Co., ,
N. Y.; his father, Myron Hooker, was born November 4, 1809, in Allegany
County, N. Y.; was a farmer by occupation; came
to Delaware County, Iowa, in 1856, where he died March 4, 1873.
mother, Nancy (Palmeter) Hooker, was boru in Farmington, Ontario Co.,
N. Y., March 19, 1816; she lives with our subject, and is the mother of
ten children, four of whom are
dead. Mr. Hooker attended the common schools of Delaware County, Iowa,
working on his father's place in Delaware County two years, he came to
this county and settled on his present farm of sixty acres, situated
two miles northeast of Macedonia. Mr. Hooker was married November 23,
1878, at Watson, Mo., to
Lizzie M. Folts, born in Oneida County, N. Y., April 26, 1856, daughter
William A. and Amanda (Denslow) Folts; he, born in Oneida County, N.
Y.. July 9, 1828, died September 25, 1867; she, born in Oneida County,
N. Y., August 1, 1833, is living in Center Township, this county. Mr.
and Mrs. Hooker have two children, viz. : Emma L., born August 11,
1879, and Crete, born July 2, 1881. Mr. Hooker is serving his third
year as Road Supervisor; he is a Democrat in politics.
HOOKER, J. D.
Farmer, P. O. Carson, was born in Chautauqua Count, N. Y., in July,
1837. His father, M. H. Hooker, was born in Genesee County, N. Y., in
1810. He was a farmer and lumberman, and came to Iowa in the winter of
1854, settling iu Delaware County, where he died in March, 1874.
Subject's mother, Nancy (Palmeter) Hooker, was born in New York State
in 1816, and is the mother of ten children. Mr. Hooker's first work was
in a saw-mill in the pine woods of Pennylvania, where he continued till
coming to Iowa in the spring of 1855. In March of that year, he
commenced work in a saw-mill, and continued in the employ of the same
man five years; he then bought and improved a small farm, which he sold
in 1869. He next spent two years at the coal miles of Fort Dodge, then
started for Nebraska, changed his mind. and. in 1871 traded with John
Hammer, now of Council Bluffs, for the farm of eight acres, where he
now lives. He was married, in Delaware County, Iowa, in July, 1861, to
Miss T. J. Wilson, born in England in October, 1843, daughter of John
and Jane (Crelling) Wilson; he, born in Ireland October 5, 1313, died
October 18, 1876; she, born in 1817, lives in Page Co., Iowa. Mr. and
Mrs. Hooker have eight children - John M., Charles M., Edward D.,
Joseph D., Jennie L., Lewis E., Shockey E. and Genie E. Mr. Hooker is a
Democrat. Mr. Hooker's father was unfortunate in the lumber business,
losing his property, with the exception of that in Delaware County,
which he had purchased before engaging in the lumber trade. While in
the city of Cincinnati, Ohio, he received an injury by a fall, from
which he never fully recovered.
JEFFRYES, R. S.
Farmer, P. O. Carson, was born in Mercer County, Ill., August 30, 1857;
his father, T. W. Jetfryes, was born in 1818, in London, England, and
came to America about 1841, living in different parts of Illinois till
1868, when he came to Pottawattamie County, where he still lives.
Subject's mother, E. J. (Hamilton) Jeffryes, was born in Indiana,
December 27, 1830, and is living and is the mother of five children -
William T., Robert E., R. S., F. I. and F. H. Mr. Jeffryes attended the
common schools and then, for three terms, attended the Malvern Normal
School, where he intends to graduate. He began life as a farmer in
Pottawattamie County, and he now owns 320 acres in Woodbury County,
which he is rapidly improving. Mr. Jeffryes' parents settled on the
farm of 160 acres on which they now live in 1868; it was at that time
entirely unimproved, but is now in a good state of improvement. Mr.
Jeffryes is a Democrat.
JOHNSON, Dr. S. M.
Physician and druggist, Carson, was born in Ohio, Greene County, April
27,1840. His father, Christopher G. Johnson, was born in Virginia March
15, 1800, and with his parents located in Ohio, Highland County, and a
few years after moved to Greene County, Ohio, thence, in 1856, came
with his family to Iowa, settling on a farm in Wapello County, where he
died in November, 1857. He was a farmer by occupation. Subject's
mother, Lydia E. Johnson, was born in Virginia in December, 1806, and
is now living in Osage County, Kan.; she is the mother of ten children,
two of whom are dead. Dr. Johnson attended the common schools, and at
twenty-one entered Pennsylvania College at Oskaloosa, Iowa, where he
remained three months, then enlisted in the army as a private in
Company H, Thirty-sixth Iowa Infantry. He served in this company about
one year, then received a commission in a colored regiment as Second
Lieutenant, where he served till September, 1866, when he was mustered
out at Little Rock, Ark. He was at the battle of Helena, Ark., July 4,
1863, and also served on the frontier. After coming out of the army he
engaged in the drug business and read medicine under Dr. J. C. Johnson,
of Agency City, Wapello Co., Iowa, from 1867 to 1870, and in 1871
attended a course of lectures at Keokuk, Iowa; then went to Kansas for
two years; returned to Keokuk, and graduated in the Keokuk College of
Physicians and Surgeons in 1873. After graduating he went to Kansas,
where he practiced medicine and conducted drug business for one year;
he then returned to Agency City, Wapello County, Iowa, where he
followed his profession for a short time, then became Medical Examiner
of the Centennial Mutual Life Association of Burlington. Iowa, which
position he held for three or four years. In 1878, he located in Mills
County, Iowa; practiced medicine and conducted a drug store in
Hillsdale, where he remained till 1880, then came to Carson, where he
now follows his profession, and is senior partner of the drug firm of
S. M. Johnson & Co. Dr. Johnson was the first man to come from a
distance and erect a house in the town of Carson; this he did in April,
1880. He was one of the first School Board of Carson, and a member of
the Building Committee that erected the schoolhouse; he is now on the
Board of Health of Carson. Dr. Johnson married Miss Ellen Stephens, of
Agency City, Wapello County, Iowa, September 10, 1S68; she was born
March 31, 1852, in Agency City; her father, James Stephens, a pioneer
of Wapello County, Iowa, was born in Kentucky May 1, 1822, and was
reared in Indiana; he came to Iowa when a young man and located at
Agency City, where he remained till his death, July 3, 1868. He was a
blacksmith by trade, and erected a large plow manufacturing
establishment, but died before his business had fully developed. Mrs.
Johnson's mother, Mary A.
(Horrow) Stephens, was born in Kentucky, February 27, 1824; she is the
mother of five children, three girls and two boys, and lives in Agency
City, Wapello County, Iowa. Dr. and Mrs. Johnson have had three
children - Hamilton C. (deceased), C. Clyde and an infant, deceased.
Dr. Johnson is a member of the Masonic fraternity of Olive Branch
Lodge. No. 21; he has always been a firm Republican; he was reared by
Quaker parents and rather adheres to that lielief. Mrs. Johnson is a
member of the M. E. Church.
JONES, R. F.
Farming, P. O. Carson, was horn in Ross County, Ohio, July 12, 1846;
his father, Joseph Jones, was born in Campbell County, Va., in June,
1804; came West to Ohio about 1839; thence, in 1849, to Davis County,
Iowa, where he lived on a farm near Union Village, till moving to
Appanoose County, where he still lives. Subject's mother, Mary E.
(Dickie) Jones, was born in Virginia in May, 1804, and is livincr, and
is the mother of nine children. Mr. Jones began working by the month at
farming, in Macedonia Township, this county in 1866; he worked for A.
F. Rayburn for four years; then married, and rented a farm in Davis
County, Iowa, where he remained about six months; thence to Page County
for eighteen months,when he returned to Macedonia Township, this
county, and rented land for one year of ťA. F. Rayburn; then engaged
with him in the stock business one year. He next bought land east of
the town of Carson; this he sold in 1873, and bought the farm of 220
acres where he now lives. This farm cost Mr. Jones about $10.50 an
acre, and is now valued at about $45 an acre; it is situated in Section
3, one and one-half miles west of Carson; it was raw prairie when Mr.
Jones first took possession of it, and it is now one of the finest
farms in the township. Our subject was married in Council Bluffs, Iowa,
in September, 1870, to Miss C. F. Crane, born in May, 1853, in
Lancaster, Ohio, daughter of John and Tabitha (Thompson) Crane; he,
born in Pennsylvania, and she in Ohio. Mr. and Mrs. Jones have five
children - Ora E., James A., Robert F., Albert L. and Loula M. Mr.
Jones belongs to the I. O. O. F. of Carson and the
Iowa Legion of Honor. He is a Republican.
KELLEY, J. M.
Banker, Macedonia, was born in Johnson County, Ill., March 18, 1852;
his father, Richard Y. Kelley, was born in Tennessee February 14, 1813;
emigrated from Tennessee to Illinois about 1835, where he raised his
family. He was a farmer, and died June 10, 1860. Subject's mother,
Sarah E. F. (Ballowe) Kelley, was born in Virginia July 3, 1814; was
the mother of eight children, of whom our subject is the youngest; she
died in Mills County, Iowa, November 14, 1873, where she and her
husband had emigrated in 1854. Mr. Kelley is a graduate of the State
University of Iowa, of the class of 1876. He is now Cashier of the
Macedonia Bank, where he has been for two years. Mr. Kelley has been a
law student, but never sought admission to the bar; he has been engaged
mercantile business, and served as Deputy Treasurer of Mills County,
Iowa. He is connected with the Masonic Lodge of the place, and is a
youug man of very high standing and influence iu the community.
LEWIS, S. P.
Farmer, P. O. Macedonia, was born in New Jersey in December, 1837; his
father, Samuel Lewis, was born iu New Jersey in 1808, and migrated to
Ohio in 1838, settling first in Warren County, then in Shelby County,
where he raised his family, and where he now lives, employed as a
shoemaker and a farmer. Subject's mother, Catharine (Lake) Lewis, was
born in New Jersey in 1807, and died in 1862; she was the mother of six
children, two of whom are living. Mr. Lewis enlisted in the army in
September, 1861, and served till July 20, 1865; he was at the battles
of Shiloh, Yicksburg, Fort Donelson, Atlanta, Ga., and with Sherman in
his march to the sea. After returning from the war, Mr. Lewis remained
iu his native couuty in Ohio till March, 1866, when he came to
Macedonia Township, first settling west of Old Macedonia, where he
lived till 1872, when he bought his present farm of 160 acres, at that
time unimproved. Mr. Lewis was married in this township in August,
1866, to Catharine Roush, born in Highland Count\-, Ohio, in November,
1842, daughter of John and Rebecca (Rhodes) Roush, he born in 1800, and
she in 1806, both living in Marion County, this State. This union has
resulted in five children - George A., Mina L., Frederick W., William
B. and Bennett. Mr. Lewis is a Republican.
Farming and stock-raising, P. O. Macedonia, was born in La Salle
County, Ill., in 1848; son of Charles and Elizabeth (Hougs) Lewis ; he,
born in Norway in 1826, came to America when fourteen years old.
settling in La Salle County, where he was engaged in farming, till his
death in 1861; she, born in Rochester, N. Y., in March, 1827, is now
living on the homestead in La Salle County, Ill.; she is the mother of
seven children, five of whom are dead. Mr. Lewis was engaged m farming
in his native State till coming to Iowa in 1870, when he bought 160
acres, a part of the farm where he now lives; this land was in an
uncultivated condition, and cost Mr. Lewis $8.50 an acre; he has
improved his original farm and added to it, until now he has 760 acres,
worth about $30 an acre. Mr. Lewis was married iu Mills County, Iowa,
May 30, 1873, to Mrs. Elizabeth Richards, born in Parke County, Ind.,
February 10, 1844, daughter of James and Alzina (Fisher) Shank; he,
born in Warren County, Ohio, about 1817, is a blacksmith in Mills
County, Iowa; she, born in Brown County, Ohio, in 1819. Mr. and Mrs.
Lewis have four children- Anna W., Arthur C., Laura I. and Charles M.
Since coming to Iowa, Mr. Lewis has given his attention largely to
stock-raising; he now has 150 head of cattle, besides hogs. Mr. Lewis
is no partisan in politics.
Farmer, and merchant of agricultural implements, Carson, was born in
Bourbon County, Ky., October 6, 1816, son of Seth and Rebecca (Ryan)
Lowe; he, born iu North Carolina about 1786, and died May 4, 1871; she,
born in Virginia about 1791, died about 1867; was the mother of six
children, four of whom are dead. When our subject's father was about
twelve years old, he, with his father's family, moved into Kentucky,
passing through the Indian nation. On this journey the family were
nearly driven to starvation, being without food seven days; their first
food was a " hoe-cake," baked in the ashes by a squaw. Subject's father
moved from Kentucky to Indiana in 1820; thence, in 1869, to Glenwood,
Mills Co., Iowa, where the family remained till our subject could
finish his house, which he was then building on his farm of 320 acres,
two miles southwest of Carson ; to this place they moved May 17, 1871.
Mr. Lowe's schooling was obtained in the days when schoolhouses were
composed of puncheon floors, benches made of split logs, and the
windows of paper, the school year being about three
months. Mr. Lowe first worked on the home farm, assisting his parents;
then he bought a portion of the place, and took charge of the whole
farm till it was sold to Charles Elmore, the former owner of Mr. Lowe's
present farm. This was unimproved when Mr. Lowe first took it, but is
now in a state of cultivation, and worth $35 an acre. January 30, 1854,
in Kingston, Ind., Mr. Lowe married Miss Julia A. Sperling, born in
Middlesex County, N. J., in 1826; her father was a native of New
Jersey, and a farmer and gardener by occupation; her mother, Hannah
(Morse) Sperling, was also a native of New Jersey, and the mother of
ten children. Mr. and Mrs. Lowe have had six children - Horace G.,
Oriella, Eddie and Emma (twins) who died in October, 1878), William H.
and Alice D. In connection with his farming, Mr. Lowe is a partner in
the Carson Implement Company, which began business July 1, 1882. Mr.
Lowe is a strong temperance man, and a firm Republican.
MACE, O. P.
Farming and mining, P. O. Carson, was born in Western Virginia October
17, 1835. His father, Henry Mace, was born in Ohio in 1811, was a
farmer, and has lived most of his life in Missouri, having gone there
from West Virginia in 1844, when he settled in Linn County. He then
moved to Sullivan County; thence to Livingston County, where he still
resides. Subject's mother, Harriet B. (Gibson) Mace, was born in Ohio
in 1811, and is the mother of eight children, of whom one is deceased.
Mr. Mace began life as a farmer in Missouri, where he continued for
three years, then went to Kansas, Bourbon County, where he farmed one
year; thence to Allen County, where he worked at the carpenter's trade
one year; thence to Mills County, Iowa, in 1861, and the same year came
to Pottawattamie County and settled at Wheeler's Grove on a farm, where
he continued till going to Council Bluffs in the fall of 1863, when he
worked in the City Mills, then operated by J. C. Hofmyre. At Council
Bluffs, Mr. Mace lost his first wife, Barbara Allen, who died February
6, 1864. Mr. Mace returned the same spring to Wheeler's Grove, and
again engaged in farming. There he married his second wife, Mrs. Martha
E. Elswick, in March, 1865. She was born in Kentucky March 4, 1833. Mr.
Mace remained on this farm till 1874, then moved to where he now lives,
two miles northeast of Carson, on a farm of 196 acres, bought in 1873,
costing about $1,800, now valued at $40 per acre. The average of crops
raised by Mr. Mace, for the past twenty years in Pottawattamie County,
has been: Corn, 51-1/4 bushels per acre; wheat, 12 bushels; oats, 30,
and potatoes, about 75. Mr. Mace, accompanied by Elswick and Bates, of
this county, started for Colorado April 13, 1879, and arrived in
Gunnison City May 21. From July 2 to July 6, they located eight mines,
among which are the famous "Ruby King" and "Little Crown" of Ruby
Mining District. They operated the King mine and superintended the
operation of the others, till in September, when they leased the King
for ten mouths to Henry Lee, of Denver, and Bacy, of Colorado Springs,
for $500 cash and one-half of all the ore taken during the lease. They
returned home, and, in February, 1880, sold the King and Republican
lode to Col. W. T. Holt, of Portland, Me., for $25,000. In the spring
of 1880, Messrs. Mace & Elswick returned to Colorado, and located
five mines in Red Well Basin, Elk Mountain District, which they still
own and operate. They also own the Little Crown in the Ruby Mining
District. These mines are all in a prosperous condition, and valued at
$200,000. Mr. and Mrs. Mace have eight children - James F., Harriet J.,
Emily C., Ulysses, Edith B., Ernest A., Trannie Y. and Altie M. Mr.
Mace is an Odd Fellow, of Lodge No. 444; in politics, a
MYERS, E. W.
Farmer. P. O. Macedonia, was born in Fayette County, Penn., June 25,
1836; his father, Joseph Myers, was born in 1806 in Greene Count,
Penn., where he resided until 1840; then he emigrated to Highland
County, Ohio, where he
remained till emigrating to Des Moines County, Iowa, in 1854. There he
resided till a short time before his death, when he moved to Henderson
County, Ill., and died January 8, 1879, being buried in Oquawka. He
followed various occupations; was a shoemaker by trade. Subject's
mother, Sarah (West) Myers, was born in Pennsylvania about 1812; was
the mother of nine children, of whom five are living. She died in
November, 1852, in Putnam County, Ill. Mr. Myers learned engineering,
and, after marriage, learned and worked at the carpenter's trade, which
he followed till 1875, at which time he came to Pottawattamie County,
having emigrated from Ohio to Marion County, Iowa, in 1865, where he
followed the carpenter's trade till coming to this county and buying
the farm of 120 acres where he now lives. He has constructed a
rotary or endless engine, on which he secured a patent January 3, 1882.
Mr. Myers married Miss Rebecca J. Fernow in Ross County, Ohio, March
27, 1857; she was born in the same county May 2, 1835. Her father,
David Fernow, born in Morgan County, Va., February 2, 1798, was a
farmer, and died December 8, 1865, in Ross County, Ohio. Her mother,
Rebecca Parrott, was born in Virginia March 4, 1802, died December 2,
1879, and was the mother of thirteen children, of whom seven are
living. Mr. and Mrs. Myers have five children; two girls are married -
Frances E. McConnaughey, Matilda A. Bates, R. Dudley, Willard D. and
Joseph H. Subject is a member of the Odd Fellows Lodge, No. 421. Mr.
Myers has been an active member of the Christian Church for over twenty
years. He is a strong Democrat.
PERRY, J. H.
Farmer and stock-dealer, P.O. Carson, was born in Belmont County, Ohio,
June 2, 1836. His father, Jesse Perry, was born in Pennsylvania about
1816; settled in Bureau County, Ill., in 1852, where he was employed in
farming till his death in July, 1873. Subject's mother, Malinda (Pool)
Perry, was born in Loudoun County, Va., in 1818, and died about 1857,
and was the mother of eight children, of whom seven are still living,
all in Illinois and Iowa except one in California. Mr. Perry attended
the common schools, and began farming in his native county on his own
farm, where he continued till moving to the town of Malden in March,
1875. He then came to this county and bought his present farm of 520
acres, paying $4,160 for the same. It is now valued at $35 or $40 an
acre, and is situated on Gray Bill or Second Creek, one and one-fourth
miles southeast of Carson. After making improvements on his farm, Mr.
Perry brought his family to it in April, 1880, from the town of Malden,
Ill. Mr. Perry was married, in Bureau County, Ill., January 9, 1861, to
Arminda E. Hogue, born in Belmont County, Ohio, May 17, 1838, daughter
of Nimrod and Sarah A. (Palmer) Hogue, natives of Belmont County, Ohio;
he, born in 1816. is a farmer, now living in Pottawattamie County,
where he moved in 1880, she, born in 1818, died in 1880. Mr. and Mrs.
Perry have had four children, two of whom, twins, Elbert and Delbert,
are dead; those living are Nora and Sarah M. When quite young, Mr. and
Mrs. Perry both became members of the Methodist Episcopal Church in
Ohio. Mr. Perry has been Township Trustee of Macedonia for the past two
years; he is a Republican.
PRUDEN, C. M.
Miller, Macedonia, was born in Rock Island County, Ill., at Rapid City,
October 19, 1855. His father, L. S. Pruden, was born in Athens, Athens
County, Ohio, May 29, 1831; he remained in Ohio till twenty years old,
then emigrated to Rock Island County, Ill., in 1850. He, with his
father, owned and operated a grist-mill in connection with an oil mill
and salt works near Athens; there subject's father and grandfather,
while boring for salt, struck one of
the first oil wells discovered in Ohio, although the substance which
proved to be oil, afterward, was not detected as such at that time.
This property was sold, when the family emigrated to Rock Island
County, Ill. There subject's father bought the place known as "Sulphur
Spring Farm," situated about ten miles south of the eity of Rock
Island, and near the town of Andalusia. After two years, he sold his
farm and removed to Rock Island County, Ill., where he, with James
Barber laid out the town of Rapid City in 1853. There he built the
Rapid City Mill and operated it till April 14, 1863; sold his property,
and, with his family, moved to Potosi, Washington County. Mo., where he
engaged in lead raining for two years. He then returned to Rock Island
County, Ill., where he worked one year in the same mill he had sold;
then, in 1870, he emigrated to Gleuwood, Mills County, Iowa, where he
operated a mill known as the Gordon Mills, for three ysars; thence he
moved to Falls City, Richardson County, Neb.; operated a mill one year;
thence to Fremont County, Iowa, and operated a mill. Then he bought a
property, and built what is known as the "Sunny Side Mill," situated
one and a half miles southwest of Macedonia, Pottawattamie County,
Iowa. Here the father's health failed aud he went West, leaving his
son, our subject, in charge of the mill. His father recovered partially
and returned to Iowa, but on account of a relapse, returned to the
West, and died at Boulder City, Boulder County, Col., April 26, 1881.
Subject's mother, Amelia M. Ruby, was born in Cattaraugus County, N.
Y., October 14, 1838. She is the mother of three girls and one boy.
Subject learned the milling trade with his father and was in business
with him till his death. Subject is still operating the Sunny Side Mill
on Nishnabotna River. Mr. Pruden married Miss J. M. Hogan, of Avoca,
Pottawattamie County, Iowa, January 27, 1881. She was born August 3,
1858, near Avoca, Pottawattamie County. Iowa. Her father, James S.
Hogau, was born in Indiana, December 25, 1825, and died February 15,
1862; her mother, A. Y. (Wilson) Hogan, was born in Fulton County,
Ill,, October 14, 1837, and has had three children. Subject and wife
have one child - Odessa Maud, born November 20, 1882. In politics, Mr.
Pruden is a Greenbacker; he is an Odd Fellow.
RINEHART, William H.
Farmer, P. O. Macedonia, was born in New York City October 7, 1826, son
of John and Susan M. (Livers) Rinehart; he, born February 18, 1800, in
York County, Penn., is a carpenter by trade, living in Illinois.
Subject's mother was born in Baltimore, Md., March 5, 1805, and died
December 29, 1881; she was the mother of seven boys and three girls.
Mr. Rinehart learned the painter's trade in
Warrensville, Ill., which trade he followed in that town and vicinity
till about 1852, when he came to Iowa and settled in Manteno, Shelby
County. In the latter place he followed his trade for about two years,
then rented a farm in Mills County for two years, thence to
Pottawattamie County, where, after renting land for three years, he
bought 120 acres where he now lives, on the west bank of Nishnabotna
River. This farm which was purchased May 29, 1872, is one and a
half miles southwest of Macedonia. Mr. Rinehart enlisted in the
Twenty-ninth Iowa Infantry, and served two years and eleven months, the
last year of his service he was driver for Gen. Steele. Mr. Rinehart
was married in Illinois, July 4, 1850, to Elizabeth Pelham, born in
England November 21, 1829, daughter of George and Louisa Pelham; he,
born in England, March 19, 1809, is living in Illinois; she, born in
England, December 28, 1809, lives in Illinois and is the mother of six
children. Mr. and Mrs. Rinehart have eight children - George J., born
March 8, 1851; Henry T., April 14, 1853; Lydia Jane, February 6, 1856;
Almeda L., January 1, 1858; Adelah E., July 20, 1860; Minnie
May, September 14, 1866; Warren L. G., January 13, 1869, ancLRose
Altha, born July 6, 1S70. Mr.
Rinehart is a Mason and a firm Republican.
ROADES, J. A.
Merchant, Carson, was born in Champaign County, Ohio, June 18, 1857,
son of John and Eliza I. (Burnham) Roades; he, born in Ohio about 1835,
is a farmer and stock-dealer, living in Logan County, Ill.; she, born
in Ohio about 1830, is the mother of six children, one of whom is dead.
Mr. Roades received a common-school education, and began the business
of life as a farmer in Logan County, Ill.; there he remained one year
and then came to Iowa in 1877, locating at Wheeler's Grove, Grove
Township, Pottawattamie County, where he rented a farm for one year of
L. D. Woodmansee; after renting another farm for a year he bought forty
acres for S12.50 an acre, in Belknap Township, this he improved and
sold for $26 an acre. In March, 1882, after selling his farm, Mr.
Roades bought a half interest in I. Culbertson's store, known as the
Farmer's Store of Carson. The firm is now Culbertson & Roades, and
deals in groceries, queensware and notions. In July, 1881, he bought
another lot and erected a house upon it in Carson, and in July, 1882,
he bought another lot and erected a house upon it; he now rents them
for $6 and $7 per month, respectively. In 1879, Mr. Roades assisted in
the harvesting of oats, where the town of Carson now stands. Mr. Roades
is a member of the I. O. O. F., No. 444, also of the M. E. Church; he
is a Republican.
SMITH, J. H.
Farmer, P. O. Macedonia, was born in Canada December 4, 1826; son of
Robert and Mary (Thompson) Smith; he born in Ireland about 1788, came
to America in 1826, settling in Peel County, Canada, where he followed
farming till his death, which occurred about 1848; she born in Ireland
about 1792, came to America with her husband and three children; after
coming to this country she gave birth to five more children, of whom
our subject was the first born; five of the children are living, all in
Canada except our subject. Mr. Smith commenced his education in the
common schools of Canada, and afterward graduated at Toronto Normal
School in the class of 1850. After graduating, Mr. Smith taught in
Canada till March, 1867, when he emigrated to Cass County, Iowa, and
rented a farm for two years near Atlantic, during which time he taught
school one term. He next spent one year on a farm near Lewis, Cass
County, then one year on a farm near Macedonia, Pottawattamie County,
thence to Farm Creek bottom for three years, at the end of which time
Mr. Smith purchased the farm of 160 acres where he now resides. He has
taught school the successive winters of these years. In 1848, Mr. Smith
married Miss Margaret McElroy of Brampton, Canada West; she died about
1864, and was the mother of seven children - Mary J. (married to
Lorenzo Lewis), Thompson, Alice E. (now in Colorado), Margaret A.,
Martin, Robert J. and Eliza L. Mr. Smith's next marriage was in March,
1867, to Miss Agues Blain, of Streetsville, Canada West, born about
1826, daughter of William and Jane (Hill) Blain, natives of Ireland; he
born about 1787, died in 1871; she born about 1790, died in 1831. Mr.
Smith lived directly in the path of the cyclone that passed through
this region, June 9, 1880; it scattered his house and its contents in
all directions. Mr. Smith, with his wife, one daughter and a hired man,
fled to the stable and were miraculously saved, the corner of the
building in which they had taken shelter remaining, while the rest of
the building was swept away. Mr. Smith, wife and one daughter, are
active members of the Presbyterian Church of Macedonia.
SNAPP, W. L.
Farmer, P. O. Carson, was born in Lee County, Iowa, February 28, 1850;
son of Simpson and Lucinda (Tade) Snapp; he born in Tennessee,
September 6, 1816, was a farmer by occupation,
settled in Lee County, Iowa, in an early day, and lived in that county
till his death, May 28, 1874. Subject's mother was born December 3,
1S22, and died in March, 1869; she was the mother of eight children,
all living in this county, except one deceased. Mr. Snapp attended the
common schools of his native county, and then attended Denmark Academy,
in Denmark, Iowa; also went to Fort Madison Academy, and took a full
course in book-keeping. He first farmed in his native county one year,
then in 1876 came to this county and settled on a farm now owned by
Adam Ring; there he remained till 1880 when he bought 160 acres where
he now lives, one mile west of Carson. Mr. Snapp paid $25 an acre for
his farm, which is now valued at S40 an acre; he deals extensively, and
successfully, in cattle and hogs. He was married in Pottawattamie
County, June 26, 1879, to Floda I. Jeffryes, born in Illinois March 15,
1861; daughter of T. W. and Eliza J. (Hamilton) Jeffryes; he born in
England in 1818, and came to America about 1847; she born in Indiana
about 1830. Mr. and Mrs. Snapp have one child - Arthur R., born
September 4, 1880.
SPENCER, W. A.
Editor, Macedonia, was born in Perry County, Ohio, October 9, 1846; his
father, Edward Spencer, born in 1818 in Pennsylvania, was a miller by
trade, went to the army in September, 1862, and died in a rebel prison
near Richmond in June, 1863, having been captured by "Stonewall"
Jackson. Subject's mother, Polly (Fowler) Spencer, was born in Ohio,
and died in 1854; she was the mother of five children, one of whom died
in 1856. Mr. Spencer began on a farm as a hired laborer, and continued
as such until going into the army in 1862, when he enlisted in the
Seventy-sixth Ohio Volunteers, Col. Woods, serving a portion of his
time in the Army of the Potomac and the balance in the Arm of the
Cumberland. He was at the siege of Vicksburg and the battle of Arkansas
Post, also in other engagements, serving a period of two years. After
leaving the army, Mr. Spencer returned to Ohio; from there, went to
Illinois with a younger brother and a sister, making his home at
Bushnell. In the spring of 1865, he, with his brother, B. F. Spencer,
went to the gold mines of Gilpin County, Colo., where they remained
till June, 1867, when the Indians drove them out. .Mr. Spencer then
determined to leave those parts, so he with three other men started in
a small boat down the Missouri River, and continued the journey to
Leavenworth, Kan., making a trip of about twelve hundred miles,
occupying about twenty days. After landing at Leavenworth, Mr. Spencer
took a trip through Kansas, then returning to Illinois. In March, 1872,
he bought a half-interest in the Bushnell
of Bushnell, Ill., with S. A. Epperson, with whom he continued till
1874. He next engaged in real estate and insurance business. In March,
1878, he established the McDonough
at Bushnell, Ill., but, on account of the vast number of papers
published in the county, this enterprise proved impracticable, and was
discontinued. In June, 1880, Mr. Spencer came to Macedonia and started
the Macedonia Tribune, issuing
the first paper August 13, 1880. He also established a real estate,
insurance and loan agency, and he is now doing a thriving business. Mr.
Spencer has had to make his own way in the world since eight years of
age, and is therefore a purely self-made man. He married Miss Serilda
Steel, of Bushnell, Ill., February 8, 1874; she was born February 2,
1855; her father, Graff Steel, was born in Ohio, and is a grain-dealer,
living in Illinois; her mother's maiden name was Pontious; she died in
1872. Mr. Spencer is purely a Republican and edits a Republican paper.
He was a correspondent of the Chicago
during his last five years at Bushnell, Ill. Mr. Spencer's trip on the
river gave rise to the story, written by himself, of "A Thousand
Miles in a Canoe." He is a member of the Odd Fellows Lodge of
Macedonia. Mr. and Mrs. Spencer have four children - Walter Clyde, Lena
Myrtle, Ethel and Helen.
STADTER, J. G.
Blacksmith and wagonmaker, Carson, was born in Prussia February 8,
1852; his father, F. W. Stadter, was born in Prussia about 1818, came
to America about 1857, and settled in Davis County, Iowa, on a farm;
there he raised his family, and, in 1878, moved into the town of
Ottumwa, where he still lives. Subject's mother, Mary (Plushantz)
Stadter, was born in Prussia about 1822, and came to this country with
her husband; she has had ten children, six of whom are dead. Mr.
Stadter attended the common schools of Davis County, Iowa, and in 1872
began serving an apprenticeship at blacksmithing and carriage-making at
Ottumwa, Iowa, with W. C. Grimes. In 1875, having learned his trade, he
opened a shop in Slagle, Keokuk Co., Iowa, where he remained till 1880,
when he came to Carson and opened the first wagon and carriage shop of
the place. Mr. Stadter owns three lots in the town of Carson and a farm
of 160 acres in Woodliury County, Iowa. He is a member of the
Winebrennarian Church, is an Odd Fellow, and a member of the
Encampment, also of the Iowa Legion of Honor; he is a staunch
THOMAS, Dr. F. S.
Physician, Carson, was born in Chatham Village, Columbia County, N. Y.,
September 23, 1845. His father, Caleb J. Thomas, was born in Champlain,
Clinton Co., N. Y., March 10, 1807. He was engaged in the cotton and
woolen factories of the East, in which he was very successful until
1837, when the financial crisis swept away so many hard-earned
fortunes. He was among the unfortunate, but paid every dollar of debt,
thus being left without anything to begin life anew. This he did by
going onto the railroad as a brakeman, where he continued till promoted
to conductorship; then he left the railroad and came to Illinois in
1847, and located at Warsaw, Hancock County. There he followed painting
for two years, then bought a farm of eighty acres three miles south of
Warsaw. Here his children grew up. He moved from the farm back into
Warsaw to afford his children better opportunities of education. From
this town he moved to Atlantic, Iowa, in 1874, where he, with his wife,
made their home with their daughter, the late wife of Hon. J. K.
Powers, until 1878, when they made their home with the subject, then at
Walnut, Pottawattamie County, where his father died July 21, 1880.
Subject's mother, Catharine (Smith) Thomas, was born in Livingston,
Columbia Co., N. Y., September 16, 1806. She died August 25, 1881. She
was the mother of six children, all of whom are dead but the subject.
Three died in New York - Edward, Charles and William; one is buried in
Illinois - Mrs. M. F. Clark, and one is buried at Atlantic, Iowa - Mrs.
Anna L. Powers, late
wife of Hon. J. K. Powers, of Atlantic, Iowa. Dr. Thomas began his
educational work in the common schools of Illinois; thence he entered
the Warsaw High School, where he graduated in 1864. He then went into
the army as a private in the One Hundred and Thirty-seventh Illinois
Infantry, where he continued six months. The war was then over, and Dr.
Thomas clerked about one year in the Keokuk Post Office, Iowa; thence
he spent one season on the Keokuk Mail Packet Line as mail agent. Then
he entered the drug store of Dr. C. G. Strong, at Warsaw, Ill., and
began reading medicine; attended two courses of medical lectures at
Keokuk Medical College (now College of Physicians and Surgeons),
graduating February 21, 1870. He then took a special course in surgery
under the late Prof. Hughes, of Keokuk. He began practice at
Bentonsport, Van Buren Co., Iowa, in April, 1870. He removed to
Atlantic in the spring of 1871, entered the drug businessunder the firm
Tobie & Thomas, continuing there till 1872 and then moving to
Macedonia, Pottawattamie County, where he practiced medicine, doing
remarkably well, but, owing to the ill health of his wife, he moved to
Walnut in 1877. There he continued practice until August, 1880, when he
moved back to Carson, where he is now located, and has a very fine
practice. The Doctor is the oldest graduate of medicine in this portion
of Pottawattamie County. He has a fine residence and other property in
Carson. He is a member of the Masonic and Odd Fellows fraternities, and
in politics he is a (Blaine) Republican. Dr. Thomas married Miss Mary
Ella Ferrier at Atlantic, Iowa, October 15, 1873. She was born in
Platte City, Platte Co., Mo., September 4, 1850. Her father, John
Ferrier, born in Virginia April 29, 1819, is living near Atlantic,
Iowa. Her mother, Jane E. (Walker) Ferrier, was born in Virginia
February 29, 1821, died February 3, 1867, in Des Moines, Iowa. Dr.
Thomas and wife have two children - Ethel, born Februar 21, 1878, and
Edith, November 25, 1880. Dr. Thomas was Coroner of Pottawattamie
County from 1873 to 1875. He was prominently mentioned for
Representative in 1875. He is a member of the Town Council of Carson,
also a member of the School Board of that place.
VAN VRANKEN, E. A.
Station agent and telegraph operator, Macedonia, was born in
Schenectady, N. Y., March 11, 1848; his father, Abram S. Van Vranken,
was born in Niskayuna Township, near Schenectady, N. Y., June 27, 1817;
his father, Simon Van Vranken, was born in 1775, and died in 1849; his
father, Nicholas VanVranken, was born in 1745; his father, Abraham Van
Vranken, was born about 1715. These men were all farmers, and were
doubtless born, raised, lived and died in this portion of the country.
Being originally from Holland, they continued the use of the language
of their mother country up to the present generation. All lived and
died as strict adherents to the Protestant faith. Mr. Van Vranken's
father lives in the place of his birth in New York. He was a farmer in
the early part of his life, but later years has followed carpentering
and various other occupations. He is a very prominent and zealous
lay-worker of the Church. The mother of our subject, Lydia (Bradt)
Vranken, was born in 1823 in the city of Albauy, N. Y. She was the
daughter of Francis I. Bradt, a prominent citizen of Albany, N. Y., and
was the mother of six children, of whom four are still living. She and
Abram Van Vranken were married in Albany, N. Y., in 1839; she died
August 19, 1851. Subject's father next married Silah W. Day, of
Connecticut. Subject was educated in the Union School of Schenectady,
and began for himself by coming West in the fall of 1867 and stopping
at Chicago, where he was engaged in various employments, until the
winter of 1868, when he learned telegraphy, and was subsequently
employcd as telegraph operator and station agent by the T. P. & W.
R. R. Co. at Watseka and Forest, Ill.; he continued in their employ
about two years; then was employed by the C, B. & Q. R. R. Co. at
Middletown, Mount Pleasant, New London, Hamburg, and finally Macedonia,
where he is now located. Mr. Van Vranken married Miss Hannah E.
Gladden, of Middletown, Iowa, August 12, 1872. Her father, Madison
Gladden, born about 1807, is a farmer, living near Middletown, Iowa,
where he located about 1862, emigrating there from Jefferson County,
Ohio. Her mother, Martha (McElroy) Gladden, born about 1814, died in
1866. Subject and wife have five children - Eula M., Frank A.,
Ernestina A., Iola B. and Sila D. Mr. Van Vranken is a Republican, and
a member of the Presbyterian Church.
WOODMANSEE, R. H.
Merchant, farmer and O. Macedonia, was born in New Jersey in
1839; his father, John Woodmansee, was born in New Jersey in 1804; he
was a sailor for the first forty years of his life, and a Captain a
good portion of this time; he met with heavy losses, being shipwrecked
off the American coast. The loss being total, he emigrated to Shelby
County, Ohio, in 1844, where he located on a farm near Sidney; there he
has since followed agricultural pursuits, and has been very successful,
being among the leading men of the county. Subject's mother, Harriet
(Platt) Woodmansee, was born in New Jersey in 1808, and is the mother
of seven children, one of whom is dead. Mr. Woodmansee was educated in
the common schools of Ohio, and enlisted in the three months' service;
then re-enlisted in the Twentieth Ohio Regiment, where he served as a
private until after the battle of Shiloh, when he was promoted to
Second Lieutenant; he was made First Lieutenant in 1S63; was severely
wounded at Atlanta, Ga., July 22, 1864. in consequence of which he was
disabled two full years, being discharged in 1864. Upon being
discharged, he was tendered a Captain's commission as soon as he should
be able to take command; but he was not able to do so till the war
closed. After coming from the army, he emigrated to Pottawattamie
County, Macedonia Township, and settled at the old town of Macedonia
for one year, during which time he bought the farm on which he now
lives, moving to it the next year, or in the fall of 1866. This farm
consists of 250 acres, and bounds the town of New Macedonia on the
west; it was wild land when Mr. Woodmansee settled on it, but now is a
beautiful home. Mr. Woodmansee served on the Board of County
Commissioners in 1868, filling a vacancy, and has served his township
in nearly all of its offices. He is a member of the firm of Woodmansee,
Knox & Co., of Macedonia, and also turns his attention largely to
the raising of stock. He is a firm Republican. He married Miss Jennie
Robinson, of Shelby County, Ohio, in September, 1866; she was born in
Shelby County, Ohio, June 30, 1843; her father, Henry Robinson, was
born in Shelby County, Ohio, February 17, 1814; still lives in the same
county on a farm near Sidney; her mother was born in Champaign County,
Ohio, November 29, 1817, and is the mother of eleven children, eight of
whom are living. Mr. and Mrs. Woodmansee have five children - Frank E.,
born December 27, 1868; Minuie E., February 28, 1872; Harry L., August
16, 1874; John H., December 24, 1876, and Stella May, born December 5,
1878. Mr. Woodmansee carries a scar on his forehead that will go with
him to the grave. During the Kansas troubles he, with some other young
men, went into that State, and while at Fort Scott they followed a
party of Indians that had captured two girls a short distance north of
the fort. These Indians were followed by a large party, all of whom
gave up the chase, except Mr. Woodmansee and his four companions, who
continued, and overtaking the redskins, who numbered sixteen, whipped
them, recaptured the girls, and brought them safely back to Fort Scott,
which at that time contained but one small store. During this skirmish,
Mr. Woodmansee received a wound, which occasioned the scar before