BABCOCK, E. A.
Avoca, born in Huntington, Hampshire Co., Mass., Sept. 10, 1841. His
parents moved to Clinton, Oneida Co., N. Y., when he was a few months
old; parents are both dead; father buried in Hampshire County, aged
fifty-seven; mother in Oneida County, N. Y., aged forty-two. Subject
was Principal of the Schoharie Academy for a short time; taught school
near Buffalo, N. Y.; graduated at Hamilton College, Oneida County, in
1865, went to New Boston, Ill., September 16, 1866, taught school until
November 28, 1866, when he moved to Muscatine, this State, November 30,
1866, went to Davenport, this State, in a few days; taught one term of
school in Scott County, when he started for Omaha, April 3, 1867,
thence to this county; taught one term near Council Bluffs, and two
tenns in Shelby County. Subject is a Democrat; was elected Assessor
October, 1869, and was married to Augusta Burmister December 25, 1879.
They have had only one child, which died soon after its birth. Subject
came to Avoca July 2, 1869, and now has a large practice.
Attorney, Avoca, dates his residence in Avoca back to July, 1875. He
was born in Schuyler County, N. Y., and, prior to his coming West, he
had spent about eight years in the schools of Elmira, grdauating from
the Elmira Academy while Prof. J. Dorman Steele was Principal of that
institution. He came to Avoca and engaged in school-teaching, but,
concluding to study law, he entered the office of John Ledwich. He
subsequently took a course in the State University of Iowa, from which
he graduated in 1881. In February, he was admitted to the bar in
Johnson County, Iowa, and, in the following June, he was admitted to
practice in the United States Courts. He began practice in Avoca in
April of 1881, and has succeeded in establishing a good business. In
political affairs, he has taken an active part with the Republican
party. He is a member of the Mt. Nebo Lodge, No. 297, A. F. & A.
M., of which he is the present Secretary.
BLAKE, J. B.
Postmaster, Avoca, so well known through his official position in Avoca
and vicinity, has been a resident of Pottawattamie County the greater
part of the time for the past twenty-two years. He was born in
Worcester County, Mass., where he was educated, and where he remained a
resident until his seventeenth year. He then went to Boston and entered
a wholesale house, where he remained three years. His first year's
salary was $50; the second, $75; and the third year $100. He then came
West, and stopped for a few months in Omaha. He then went to Crescent
City, where he designed engaging in business, but, finding the climate
to him so unhealthy that he contracted ague, he was obliged to make a
change, so went to Denver, Colo., where his brother, Charles Blake,
resided, and who erected one of the first houses ever built in that
famous city. Mr. Blake spent about one year there, when, his health
admitting, he returned to Pottawattamie County. His life from this date
until he settled in Avoca in 1874 was a series of changes, the time
being spent mainly in Crescent City, Council Bluffs and Loveland. He
removed from the latter place to Avoca and engaged in the retail boot
and shoe business, which he continue until he was appointed Postmaster
of the Avoca office, by President Hayes. He was re-appointed by
President Arthur, and is at present engaged in the discharge of his
duties, and is unquestionably a substantial, worthy citizen of the
prosperous little city.
BOGUE, T. F.
Farmer, P. O. Avoca, born in Vermont in 1832, son of T. F. Bogue, who
died in 1865; his mother died in 1872. Subject lived in Vermont until
1859, when he went to California, living there until 1869. The first
four years were occupied in mining, the next three in freighting, and
the balance he lived in the western part of Utah Territory. Returning
to Vermont in 1809, he remained there one year, when he came to this
county and bought his present farm from Henry Davenport, paying about
$13 per acre for the same. It is located two miles from Avoca; consists
of 120 acres, nearly all in cultivation; there were few improvements on
the place when he bought it, only twenty acres broken and the land all
fenced. He raises corn and hogs principally. Subject was educated in
the common schools of Vermont, Castleton and Brandon Seminaries, and
married, in 1869, Miss Caroline B. Hall, of Vermont, daughter of David
Hall; they have three children, all boys. Subject is a Republican, a
member of the Mt. Nebo Lodge, No. 297, A. F. & A. M., and was three
years in the Crown Point Iron Mines in New York State. He was through
two Indian outbreaks in 1866 and 1867, the worst being that of the
Goshoot, the tribe being almost annihilated by Capt. Smith. One of Mr.
Bogue's horses was shot by an Indian while he was driving a stage.
However, a soldier, who was siting on the seat beside him, soon
dispatched "Poor Lo."
BUNNELL, J. A.
Farmer, P. O. Avoca, born in Portage County, Ohio, January, 1836, son
of Charles and Margaret Bunnell; moved from Ohio to Illinois in 1846,
settling in Winnebago County, living there until 1852, when he went to
Iowa. His father, however, had gone to Clinton County, Iowa, in the
fall of the previous year, while he remained in Illinois, attending
school. His home for some years after this was either in Shelby or
Pottawattamie County until after the war, when he came to this
township. He attended the first school that was ever taught in the
township, which was a successful institution for those days. Subject
was married in August, 1856, to Miss Sarah J. Headiee, daughter of
Joshua Headlee, born in Indiana. Mr. and Mrs. Bunnell have eight
children - five boys and three girls - one daughter married and living
in this township. Subject enlisted, October 14, 1863, in Company M,
Ninth Iowa Cavalry; served until the close of the war, under Col.
Trumball; was stationed along White and Arkansas Rivers, being in only
one pitched battle, with Shelby's men, near Duvall's Bluff. After
leaving the army, he sold his farm in Shelby County, and bought his
present place, his farm now consisting of 600 acres, well improved.
There is a grove of thirty acres, a large house, etc., on it, and the
products are principally stock and corn. On his arrival here, his
entire capital was 75 cents, and he worked at anyihing he could find to
do, coming with an uncle who had lost his eyesight by being blown up in
a well while working for Buford, of Rock Island, Ill. He helped this
uncle all he possibly could; got a yoke of oxen, went to Nebraska in
1854, and broke prairie, working through the summer. He lost one of his
cattle, which required six months' work to pay for it. In 1856, he went
back to Nebraska, broke prairie, hauled wood to Omaiia in
the winter, putting all his earnings into land at $1.25 per acre, and
he soon made a start in the world. He has hauled wheat to Council
Bluffs and sold it for 30 cents per bushel; also sold and dressed hogs
as low as $1.25 per hundred. He is a Republican; has held several
offices, and may feel proud of his past record as a self-made man.
Livery, Avoca, born in Canada in 1840, son of Samuel Coakes, a painter.
Subject has two sisters in Avoca, and one brother in the Sandwich
Islands. He left Coburg, Canada, with only $5, crossing Lake Ontario in
the Maple Leaf; landed in New York in i860; enlisted in the
Thirty-fourth New York Regiment (Col. Suter), in the fall of 1861. His
first battle was Fair Oaks; was in the seven days' retreat with
McClellan; at the battle of Antietam; both fights at Fredericksburg,
being with the Army of the Potomac all the time, and mustered out July
3, 1863, at Albany. He worked in livery stable in Palmyra, N. Y., then
went to Detroit, Mich., continuing in the same business for six years,
when he came to Avoca, in July, 1870, and opened business for himself,
with two buggies and four horses, Avoca at this time not having more
than twenty buildings. Now he has a stable 34x146 feet, containing nine
rigs. He was married, in the fall of 1864, in Detroit, to Miss Rozina
Kiersey, who died in the fall of 1878, leaving two children - one boy
and one girl. Subject's parents are both dead.
Farmer, P. O. Avoca, born in Tamworth, N. H., about fourteen miles from
the White Mountains, in 1829; lived there until twenty-one years old;
educated in the common schools; raised on a farm, and lived in
different places in New Hampshire until 1862, when he moved to
Massachusetts; he worked at farming, carpentering - in fact, all kinds
of work - and for fourteen years was employed in a shoe manufactory
employing 6,000 hands. In Massachusetts, he raised vegetables for the
Boston market; after five years at this business, went into the dairy
business for one year, and, in December, 1868, he came to this county;
settled at what is known as New Boston, living there for one year,
owning a dozen horses and a saw-mill. Moving to Avoca, he was the first
carpenter, and did the first work in this line which was done in the
town; stayed there one year, sold out to Abel Harris and moved onto his
present farm. When he came to this county, he had only $200: bought
eighty acres of land from the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific
Railroad Company in 1869; made a small payment on it; built a house on
it in 1870; moved onto it; had only one horse; no farming tools: only
made a payment of $100, with a wife and six small children depending on
his efforts, but since that time has paid for the original eighty
acres, bought and paid for 160 acres more, so that the farm now
consists of 240 acres of fine land, with a good barn and dwelling house
erected thereon, the dwelling costing $1,600. The farm is well stocked
and improved. This has all been done by farming. He married, in 1849,
Miss Charlotte Bugel, of Barrington, N. H. They have six children -
three sons and three daughters, all living at home. Subject is
politically a Greenbacker.
DAVIS, E. W.
Banker, Avoca, bom in Danielsonville Conn., in 1839; his mother still
lives there; father died in 1861. They had a family of eight children -
five girls and three boys - all living. Subject went to Michigan in
1863; remained there three years; traveled for one year; went to
Harlan, this State, in 1867, remaining there four years, when he moved
to Avoca, in April, 1871, engaging in merchandise, under the firm name
of E. W. Davis & Co.; opened a bank in August, 1872, and built a
new building in 1874, the firm name being J. W. & E. W. Davis,
organized with a capital of $25,000. but in 1876 the capital was raised
to $50,000. Subject is a Freemason, and was married, May 20, 1871:, to
Miss May Benham, of Cascade, Dubuque County, this State. They have two
children - Vinnie D., aged seven; and Joseph V., aged two.
Merchant, Avoca, born in Minden, Germany (Minden Township named after
his birthplace), came to the country February 2, 1862, landing in New
York; came to Avoca from Davenport, this State, in 1870, where he kept
a grocery and crockery store. He now keeps a general stock, and has a
branch at Hancock. His wife died in April, 1882. They were married in
1868. He is the father of five children, viz., Gustav, fourteen;
Louise, twelve; Frank, ten; Josephine, seven; Karl, five. He takes an
active interest in politics; was the first Recorder of the city; held
office four terms; has been Mayor since, except one year spent in
Europe; belongs to the order of I. O. O. F.; business increasing,
yearly sales being $24,000; does a large business in forwarding express
to Europe; also does a general banking business for European cities; is
the agent for the principal European steamship lines, and also of the
Pacific Railroad Company.
GREEN, H. S.
Farmer, P. O. Avoca, bom near Brockport, Monroe Co., N. Y., in 1829;
raised in Ashtabula County, Ohio; lived there until 1868, when he went
to Illinois; stopped with friends near Ottawa, where he was teaching
for two years. He is the son of Caleb Green, who died in 1840; his
mother, at the age of eighty-eight, died in September, 1881; he is one
of twelve children, one brother and one sister dead. He was educated in
Ashtabula County, Ohio, going to school with B. F. Wade, nephew of B.
F. Wade, of the Nineteenth District, Ohio. He has been farming most of
his life, and, while in Ohio, was in the dairy business; married, in
Ashtabula County, Ohio, in 1853, Miss Sarah J. Wood, born in New York
and raised in Ohio. They are the parents of four children - one
daughter dead and
three sons living. Subject came to this township in the spring of 1870,
buying raw prairie, paying $8 and #10 per acre for same. The land was
owned by Mr. Hitchcock, of Boston, and sold by N. P. Dodge, of Council
Bluffs. The farm is well improved now, consisting of 290 acres, mostly
under cultivation, with large buildings, groves, orchard, etc.,
thereon. He came here just as the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific
Railroad commenced carrying freight, and was in Shelby when the first
freight was delivered there, it being a keg of whisky. Mr. Green is a
HART, R. S.
Agricultural implements, Avoca, is one of the oldest as well as one of
the leading business men of Avoca. He is a native of Juniata County,
Penn., where he was educated and spent the early years of his manhood.
In 1867, he came West and located at Council Bluffs. About one year
after his arrival, he entered the employ of Messrs. Shugart &
Lininger, and engaged in the sale of agricultural implements. He
remained in their employ about two years, and then went to Avoca, where
he engaged in the stock business for about two years. The rapid
development of the new country creating a demand for farm implements,
he was shrewd enough to see the advantage of establishing a good
business house in this line at Avoca. The result has proved the
correctness of his judgment. In 1875, he formed a partnership with Mr.
Shugart, of Council Bluffs, and at ouce began an
extensive business in the implement line and in buying grain. Their
success is perhaps due to the carefulness of their selection of any and
all articles of goods in which they have dealt. The Furst & Bradley
and Weir plows and cultivators, Bain and Schuttler wagons, and Buckeye
reapers, mowers and twine-binder, and Brown corn-planters, are samples
of the character of their goods. They also have an extensive trade in
carriages and buggies. They supply agents at Oakland and Harlan with
some lines of their goods, in addition to their retail trade. Mr. Hart
has the entire management of the business, Mr. Shugart being so
extensively engaged in the same line in Council Bluffs as to require
his time and attention. An annual sale of goods amounting to $40,000 is
the best evidence of Mr. Hart's ability as a financier. In addition to
his mercantile business, Mr. Hart has a fine farm of 240 acres, located
near Avoca, where he takes a pride in keeping some good stock. Mr. Hart
has been only interested in politics to the extent of helping fill the
local offices with just and honorable men. His time and energy have
been given to the building up of his business, and to such men as he
and Mr. Shugart is Avoca largely indebted for her growth and prosperity.
KING, S. A.
Farmer, P. O. Avoca, born in Orange County, Vt., April 13, 1825, son of
John King, who died in Indiana in August, 1852; his mother died in
Dover, N. H. Subject lived in Vermont until he was nine years old, when
he was taken to Lowell, Mass., where he lived until he was thirteen
years old, when he went to Huron, Ohio, remaining there until he was
eighteen years old, when he rode on horseback to Galena, Ill., to try
his fortunes in the lead mines. Living there about nine months, he got
discouraged, having caught the ague. He started back to Ohio, but,
finding he could not stand the ride, he stopped at Rockford, moving
from there to Ottawa about the time the canal was finished from Chicago
to La Salle; lived in Ottawa three years, when he went to Lake County,
Ind. His father, having moved there some time before, was very sick,
and died from this sickness. He settled up the business and took his
step-mother to Ohio. While at Rockford, he freighted to Chicago; would
haul wheat the eighty miles for 20 cents per bushel, and, on reaching
the city, would frequently have to sell for 37-1/2 cents per bushel,
taking shelf goods in payment, not even getting groceries; he hauled
pork for 30 cents per hundred, sold for $1.50 per hundred, and, on his
return trip, would take emigrants who landed from the steamboat to any
place they wished, taking him all over Northern Illinois and Southern
Wisconsin. This was before there were any railroads in this part of the
country. While in Ohio, after taking his step-mother there, he married,
in April, 1853, Miss Hannah Studwell, born in New York State. The same
spring, he started West again, stopping at La Porte, Ind., staying
nearly a year, when he started to Iroquois County, Ill., February,
1854, staying there until August, 1855, moving to Tama County, Iowa,
where he bought eighty acres of land, paying $5 per acre, building a
cabin on it. The next year he sold out for $10 per acre, moving onto
better land; he lived in Tama County for nearly thirteen years, when he
moved to this township, in June, 1869, driving his stock across
country, moving his goods and family in wagons. When they came here,
there were no neighbors for about five miles north and twelve miles
east, but south of them, around Lewin's Grove, there was quite a
settlement. He paid $900 for his first eighty acres of land, and now
has 240 acres, his principal business now being stock-raising.
Politically, he is a Greenbacker, though, until lately, was a
Republican. Has six children - three boys and three girls, one girl and
one son married and away from home, the others still living at home.
After his arrival in Tama County, he had to go to Iowa City, sixty-two
miles away, for everything they bought.
KNOWLES, M. D., H. S.
Avoca, born in New York State in 1827, came here from Findley's Lake,
N. Y., where he had been practicing medicine for five years; graduated,
in 1857, at the Kalamazoo College, Michigan, and took his medical
courses in the Hahnemann Medical College, Chicago, in the winter of
1874-75, and in the Chicago Homoeopathic College in the winter of 1877.
The Doctor's first practice was in Wisconsin, where he practiced for
six years. Going to New York, he practiced five years, when he moved
here, where he has practiced for twelve years. Subject's office is at
his house, where he keeps a large stock of homoeopathic medicines. He
and his wife are engaged with son- in-law, the firm being known as P.
C. Backus & Co., in a 99-ceut store, containing an endless variety
of fancy goods and furniture, and are doing an extensive business.
Subject was married, December 25, to Miss M. L. Francisco. Her father,
B. S. Francisco, was born just after parents came from France, and her
family are noted for their longevity. Her father, joining the army when
he was over sixty year sold, is still living, at the age of eighty-two.
One of her great-uncles lived to be one hundred and twenty-four years
old. Her mother died in November, 1881, at eighty-three years old. Dr.
Knowles' ancestors are also long-lived. His mother died at the age of
eighty-four. His grandparents (Knowles) lived to be between ninety and
one hundred years old. Dr. and Mrs. Knowles had five children, but only
three are living - one daughter, at home; one daughter, Mrs. Backus is
in a large fancy store in Omaha; the other daugther, Mrs. J. J.
Hipsley, is in a wholesale and retail book store in Fort Dodge, this
State. The Doctor has quite an extensive business in Avoca and
MACOMBER, M. D., Ernest P.
Physician and surgeon, Avoca, born in Massachusetts in 1854, son of Dr.
A. P. Macomber, a physician of Atlantic, this State, who was his son's
preceptor through his medical course at college. Dr. A. P. Macomber is
a graduate of New York University, and practiced the old-school system
for fifteen years, but now and for twelve years he has practiced the
new (homoeopathic). Subject has been in Avoca one year, succeeding Dr.
F. K. Dabury, who was in practice here for four years, and came from
the vicinity of Long Branch, N. J., where he had been living four
years. He is a graduate of the New York Homoeopathic College; also
attended a course in the Medical Department in Columbia, N. Y., and a
session of lectures in the Long Island Hospital. He received his early
education at Williston Seminary, East Hampton, Mass., and Goddard
Seminary, Barre, Vt. He is a member of the New Jersey and Iowa State
Homoeopathic Societies, and has been quite successful in his practice
here, which is quite extended, taking in Oakland, Carson, Hancock and
Shelby. Dr. Macomber and Dr. Knowles are the only homoeopathic
physicians in Avoca.
McCONNAUGHEY, M. D., D. S.
Avoca, born in Lawrence County, Penn., July 8, 1837, came to Avoca
April 4, 1882, from Washington County, this State, having arrived in
Denmark, Lee County, this State, in 1852, and living there two years
before he went to Washington County. He attended the Denmark Academy
for two years, the Washington College several years; enlisted, in 1861,
in Company H, Eleventh Iowa Infantry; discharged in 1862, at Fulton,
Mo.; returned home and commenced the study of medicine; re-enlisted, in
the summer of 1862, in the Thirtieth lovra Infantry; remained with the
regiment one year; discharged in 1863, at Vicksburg; returned to
Washington, this State; resumed the study of medicine, attending a
course of lectures at Rush Medical College in the winter of 1865-66;
graduated in 1866-67, at Keokuk, this State; began the practice of
medicine near the present town of Riverside, this State; moved, in
1869, to Marshall, Henry County, this State; remained there seven
years, returning to Riverside, remaining there five years, when he
removed to Avoca, where he has a large and constantly growing practice.
Subject was married, October 31, 1867, to Miss Josie Terry, daughter of
J. L. L. Terry, of Washington, this State. They had two children -
Zetta, born in 1869, lived nine years and died at Riverside; and Harry
D. Subject is a Republican and a Freemason.
Farmer, P. O. Avoca, was born sixteen miles north of Peoria, in 1829,
son of J. B. Meredith, who is still living; his mother is dead, and his
only brother lives in this township. Subject received a common-school
education in Illinois, and married, in Illinois, in 1852, Miss Clarissa
Reed, born in Illinois, daughter of Simon Reed, who was one of the
first settlers in that part of the State: her parents are both dead.
Mr. and Mrs. Meredith have four children - three boys and one girl.
Subject came to this county from Peoria County, Ill., in September,
1859, and has lived here since, with the exception of two years. In the
spring of 1853, he went across the country to California, having been
gone four years. While there, he was mining, teaming and farming.
Returning to Illinois, he lived there until he moved to Iowa. He bought
his present farm in 1868, from John Childs, paying $6.25 per acre. The
farm contains 120 acres, mostly in timber, in what is known as Lewin's
Grove - in fact, occupying the same place which Mr. Lewin first
settled. Subject takes no interest in politics, and has not voted since
the war. When he came to his present place, there were hardly any
improvements. Moving into the old log cabin built by Lewin, and lived
there until it was burned down, but now has good farm buildings. He
raises corn principally, but also does some business in stock,
MEREDITH, T. O.
Agricultural implements, Avoca, was born in England in 1844, son of
Thomas Meredith, who still lives near Lewis, and was married, January
1, 1872, to Miss M. J. Marsh, of Cass County, born in Indiana, and
daughter of Enoch Marsh. Mr. and Mrs. Meredith have two children, both
boys. Subject has two brothers and one half-brother, all living in Cass
County. Subject came from Lewis, Cass Co., Iowa, in March, 1872, and
has followed his present business since coming here. He was raised on a
farm adjoining Lewis, and came to this country with his parents when
only eight years of age, and settled in Madison, Wis., remaining there
about two years, then moved to Cass County, Iowa, making that his home
until he came here in 1872. He voted the Republican ticket until the
fall of 1881, when he joined the Greenback party. He cast his first
vote for Abraham Lincoln.
NELSON, O. B.
Merchant, Avoca, came to Avoca in the spring of 1871; commenced
business in 1873, and clerked for two years. He is a native of Denmark;
his mother, coming here last year, is still living. He married, in
1877, Angie Reynolds, of Avoca, who is a native of New York, Thev have
two children, viz., Edna, five years old; and Meta, four. He carries a
large stock, doing a business of $33,000, and employs four clerks;
handles dry goods, boots and shoes, a full line of groceries, and also
some of the leading sewing machines. Is a member of the I. O. O. F.;
been Deputy for two tenns, Conductor and Past Grand. In 1873, his
brother, M. B., came and engaged in the hardware business, but died in
1879, leaving a wife and one child.
SANDERS, Wait H.
Farmer, P. O. Avoca, born in New York State in 1810, living there until
a young man, when he emigrated to Michicran; living there for
twentv-six years, he moved to this State, settling in Davenport, in
1854, remaining there for sixteen years, when he removed tn Avoca. He
was raised on a farm, but followed mechanical pursuits from 1836 until
he came here, in August, 1870. settling in Avoca, though buying a farm
one and a half miles northeast of Avoca at the same time; lived in
Avoca four years, but followed farming and the improvement of his land.
He built the City Hotel of Davenport, the Post Office Block in the
same'town, besides many other large buildings. Subject never served an
apprenticeship or attended a mechanical school, but taught himself the
mechanical arts. The first year he worked at the trade, his boss
thought he was a regular mechanic, and put him in as foreman of a gang
of hands, he had such a thorough knowledge of the business. Subject was
married, at Ypsilanti, Mich., about 1844, to Miss Sarah J. Wakeman, of
New York City. He has four sons and one daughter living. Three of the
sons are at home, and his daughter is now Mrs. Scott Williams, of
Hancock, Iowa. There is only one son married. Mrs. Sanders died in
June, 1879. When subject came to this township, his farm was all open,
and no improvements thereon whatever, but now is finely improved, and
contains 280 acres, 200 of which are under cultivation. It is also well
stocked with a fine lot of high-grade cattle, as well as horses. There
are also ten acres of grove and orchard. He has been a member of the I.
O. O. F. for forty years, and one of the charter members of Lodge No.
10, Michigan. The first year of his residence in Avoca, he built the
German store of G. Diederich, the original bank building, the residence
of Frank Watterman, lumberman, also the present residence of M.
Siefert, of the firm of Siefiert & Weise, lumber merchants. Besides
these he built several other smaller houses.
SMITH, George E.
Farmer, P. O. Avoca, was born in Andover, Merrimack Co., N. H., April
26, 1837, son of John G. Smith, born in Rutland County, Vt., is about
sixty-eight years old, and living in Portage County, Wis.; his mother
is also living. Subject was educated in New Hampshire; went to Portage
County, Wis., with his parents, in 1852, living there until he went
West, in 1857, and has always followed farming; his father also has
been a farmer since leaving New Hampshire; previous to that, he was a
blacksmith. Subject married, in 1859, Mrs. Clarissa Wheeling, born in
Ohio, daughter of William Pierce. They have foiir children - two boys
and two girls. Mrs. Smith had one child by her first husband. Subject
came to this county in the fall of 1857, settling on Silver Creek. He
stayed a year, when he went to Denver, Colo. Returning to this State in
1859 he spent the winter in Guthrie County moving into this township in
August, 1860, settling on Section 22, his present place. He first
bought eighty acres of land, part from Dowler and part from Pierce,
paying about $2.50 per acre. He now owns 200 acres, on which he raises
corn and stock, feeding from fiftv to 180 head of cattle a year. On
August 13, 1862, he
enlisted in Company E, Twenty-third Iowa Infantry Volunteers, Col.
Kinsman, of Council Bluffs, in couunand; served three years; was
mustered out August 13, 1865, at Harrisburg, Texas; was taken prisoner
at Fort Gibson, Miss., May 1, 1863; was in Libby Prison eighteen days,
when he was exchanged and taken to City Point, on James River; was
wounded at Fort Blakely, Ala., April 7, 1865; from this point he went
into Texas to take charge of some cotton on the Colorado River. Om May
8, 1882, his house burned down, causing the loss of nearly all his
household goods, but he has rebuilt; the house, which is a fine one,
cost §1,012.50 above the foundation. There is a fine orchard on the
farm, and a good barn. He also has considerable property in Dakota, two
of his sons being located there. All that Mr. Smith has he has made in
this county, by hard work and economy, and belongs to the Greenback
Duggist, Avoca, born in Prussia in 1851, emigrating to America in 1868
and settling in Davenport, this State; had no settled business until he
came to Avoca, when he started in the drug business, buying out the
stock of J. J. Hipsley, one of the first druggists here; came here in
1870; farmed for some time near Avoca, and went into the drug business
in the fall of 1880; carries a stock of about $5,000, including paints,
oils, etc. Subject was married, in this county, in 1874, to Miss D.
Peters, who came from the old country about the same time subject did.
They have three children. He has always voted the Republican ticket.
|From History of Pottawattamie County, Iowa,
published by O. L. Baskin & Co.; Libby Prison photo in the public