Pottawattamie County, IAGenWeb Biography Home HOME
Biographical Sketches
Garner Township


Farmer. P. O. Council
Bluffs, was born in Indiana in 1840, and is of Scotch descent; his parents were William and Maria (Cross) Campbell, natives of New York State; both are dead. The family consisted of twelve children, two of whom are dead, the rest live in Iowa. When about four years of age, Mr. Campbell migrated to Missouri with his parents, and there received his education, About 1853, Mr. Campbell, with his parents, removed from Missouri to Silver Creek Township, Pottawattamie Co., Iowa; when they first settled in that township, their nearest neighbor on one side was two miles distant, and on the other six miles. Mr. Campbell was married iu Iowa, January, 1864, to Miss Hannah Ross, of Mills County, Iowa, daughter of Charles and Polly Ross, he living, she dead; they came from Ohio to Mills County, Iowa, in 1853; they were the parents of sixteen children, eight of whom are dead. Mr. and Mrs. Campbell have had six children, two of whom are dead. Mr. Campbell cultivates about 150 acres of land; he has held several township offices, and is a Republican.


P. O. Council Blufls, was
born iu England in 1821; son of James and Rachael (Goodman) Clark, both deceased; his father was a weaver. Mr. Clark has three brothers and one sister, all married and livingin England. There our subject received his education in select schools, and was apprenticed as a shoemaker, which trade he followed in England, and continued in this country till 1867, when he located on his present place and became a farmer, which occupation he still pursues. Mr. Clark was married, in 1845, to Miss Rachael Smart, daughter of Thomas and Elizabeth Smart, both deceased. Mrs. Clark has one sister and three brothers in Utah, and one brother in England. Mr. Clark came to America in 1851, and lived till 1853, in New Orleans for a short time, and the remainder of the time in St. Louis; he then came to Council Bluffs, his original intention being to join the Mormons at Salt Lake, but disapproving of some of the practices of the church he stopped here. His farm consists of 300 acres, about eighty of which are under cultivation, eighty acres pasture, and the remainder timber. Mr. Clark conducts general farming, and also has quite an apiary. December 22, 1881, Mr. and Mrs. Clark made a visit to England, the voyage occupying nine days, whereas their first voyage, some thirty-one years previous, occupied over two months. The children of Mr. and Mrs. Clark are A. J., farming in Boomer Township; Rachael E., now Mrs. Winchester, of Garner Township; John T., at home; Henrietta now Mrs. Wright, of Boomer Township; and Heury J., at home. One son died when young. Mr. Clark takes an active part in educational matters; he was Justice of the Peace four years; is a member of the "Patrons of Husbandry," and in politics is a Democrat.


Farmer and stock-raiser,
P. O. Council Bluffs, was born in Lincolnshire, England, August 6, 1854, son of William and Susan (Hand) Crossley, natives of England, and both dead. He came here in 1855, with his parents, and settled on the farm where he now lives; he has two sisters, one, Mrs. John A. Orr, living in Harrison County, Iowa, and one, Mrs. S. S. Fletcher, keeping house for him at the present time. The family came to this country with a company expecting to join the Mormons in Utah, but the mother was taken sick, and by the time she recovered they decided not to go to Utah. They landed first in New Orleans, thence by steamer to Keokuk, Iowa, then across the State iu ox carts. When they reached Garner Township, they found a Mormon settlement at what was called Carterville. Most of the early settlers were Mormons, dissatisfied with the religion as exemplied in the West. Upon first coming to this county, Mr. Crossley's father bought a claim from a man by the name of Clough, pre-empted 120 acres, and this has since been added to until the farm now consists of about 800 acres, 160 of which belong to our subject's sister, who keeps house for him. When they first settled on the place, it was in a wild state, and the only building upon it was an old log hut, left by the Mormons, on their way to Salt Lake City. Mr. Crossley is engaged in stock-raising, feeding the most of his grain; he has fourteen head of thoroughbred Short-Horn cattle, and all the rest of his stock is of a high grade; he has a small orchard and raises some small fruits. Mr. Crossley is no partisan, but votes for whom he considers the best man.


P. O. Council Blufls, was
born in Garner Township, Pottawattamie Co., Iowa, in 1849, son of Wm. and Sarah (Warkman) Garner, who came from North Carolina to Illinois, and from there to Pottawattamie Co., Iowa, in 1846. They had eleven children, two boys and nine girls. One of the latter is dead. They are all married and settled in Garner Township, except three, who live in Hazel Dell Township. Their father having pre-empted land, gave each of them 200 acres, with a good house upon it. Before Mr. Garner divided his land among his children, the Rock Island Railroad ran across his farm for five miles. Our subject has always worked at farming, excepting some time spent in a woolen factory. His present farm consists of 180 acres, mostly under cultivation and well improved, although when he first took it, in 1874, it was entirely unimproved. He has an orchard of four and a half acres, which has just commenced bearing; also grapes and other small fruits. Mr. Garner was married in December, 1871, to Miss Lena McMullen. daughter of James and Hannah (Poe) McMullen, who came here from Indiana in an early day. Her mother died when Mrs. Garner was quite small. Her father, who is now dead, served in the Mexican war. Mr. and Mrs. Garner have one son and two daughters. Mr. Garner is a member of the Knights of Pythias. He and his brothers are Democrats.


Farmer, P. O. Council
Bluffs, was born in England in 1829; he came to America in 1854, settling in Missouri, in Holt County, where he had built a brewery. In 1862, he went back to England; stayed till 1866, and then returning to America spent that year on the plains, and April 2, 1867, he settled at his present place, on which there were then a number of old Mormon huts, which had gone to ruin. From that time, he has been improving his place by planting orchards, etc. Mr. Hancock was married, in 1853, in Wales, to Letitia Stanley, born in England. Mr. Hancock was educated in England, and went to Wales when he was about sixteen years old. He has a brother and a sister living in Utah, being all his relatives in America. In England, he has three sisters and one brother. One brother died in Wales a few years ago. Mrs. Hancock has seven sisters and three brothers in England, and one sister dead. Mr. and Mrs. Hancock have one daughter and three sons. Their daughter, Mary E., is married to Henry Bateman, living in Boomer Township, Pottawattamie Co., where he is now farming; Joseph H., twenty-two years old; Charles B., twenty years old, and John, seventeen years old, all living at home. One son is buried in Missouri. Mr. Hancock has always had to depend on his own resources. He was doing a good business in Missouri and lost it during the war. Since coming to his present place, he has made a good property. He came to this country as a Mormon, coming with Mormons to New Orleans; thence to Holt County, Mo., where he abandoned them and their religion. Mr. Hancock is a Democrat.

HARMS, William

Farmer, P. O. Council
Bluffs, was born in Germany in 1830, son of Albolt and Sophia Harms, both dead; mother died when subject was very small, and father when he was about eight years old. Mr. Harms was educated in Germany. He had one brother, who was drowned when five years old; also one half-brother and two half-sisters, all of whom are dead. His fiither was a farmer, and Mr. Harms has followed the same occupation all of his life. He came to America in 1850, and settled in Dixon, Ill., where he lived till 1863. He was married, in 1854, to Miss Henrietta Minssen, born in 1829 in Germany, daughter of Folgett and Wilhelmina Minssen, both of whom died in Germany. Mrs. Harms came to America in 1853. She has one brother living in this country. After moving to Jones County, Iowa, in 1863, Mr. Harms went into the army in 1864, staying till the close of the war. He was in the Seventeenth Army Corps, Fourth Division, Fifteenth Iowa, and was with Sherman in his march to the sea, being also with him when Atlanta was burned. Mr. Harms came out without a wound. In 1871, Mr. and Mrs. Harms came to their present place, it being then unimproved prairie. Mr. Harms bought eighty acres first, but has since added to it till he now has a farm of 190 acres, mostly under cultivation and general improvement. He does general farming. Mr. and Mrs. Harms have six children, all at home except their oldest daughter, Katie, who married George Young, of Norwalk Township, Pottawattamie Co.; oldest son, Henry, is twenty-one years of age ; second daughter, Sophia, was born in 1862; second son, Edward, in 1864; third son, William, in 1868; third daughter, Emma, in 1870. Mr. Harms and wife are members of the Lutheran Church.


Farmer, P. O. Council
Bluffs, was born in Germany in 1857; son of William and Wilhelmina (Marker) Heileman, living in Germany. Subject was educated in
Germany, where he has five brothers, he being the only child iu America. His father was in the army, but now has an office on a railroad. Our subject has always followed farming. He was married, April 16, 1879, to Miss Lucretia Stoker. They have one child, a little girl. Mr. Heileman came to this country when only fifteen
years old, with an uncle, settling at Fort Dodge, Webster Co., Iowa, where he followed farming; he came to Pottawattamie County in April, 1877, and has been here since engaged in general farming. He is now farming Mrs. Stoker's farm, but owns one of eighty acres in Minden Township, partly improved. Since coming to
America at fifteen years of age. he has made his own way.


Farmer, P. O. Council Bluff's,
was born in Randolph County, Va., March 7, 1837, son of W. C. and and Eliza A. (Wilson) Kemp; he was born in Huntington County, Penn., in February, 1802, and died in May, 1880; while in Virginia he was Couuty Surveyor, and also practiced law; after coming to Iowa, he kept hotel and speculated in land. Subject's mother was born in Randolph County, Va., in 1818, and lives in Wayne County, Iowa; she is the mother of five boys and three girls, one of each sex being dead. Mr. Kemp attended the subscription schools of Virginia, where he subsequently conducted the stage line for five years, between the James and Ohio Rivers. After coming to Iowa, he continued the stage business for several years, and then became messenger and ticket agent on the train running from Council Bluffs to Bartlett; leaving the latter business, he was engaged with J. W. Morse, in the express business, till March, 1875, when he setled where he now lives. Mr. Kemp was married in Lewis, Cass Co., Iowa, October 26, 1863, to Miss J. A. Mann, born in St. Thomas, Canada, July 22, 1845; daughter of L. Mann, born in St. Thomas,
Canada, December, 1808, died April 5, 1852, and Almira (Taylor) Mann, born in Erie, Penn., November 4, 1820. Mr. and Mrs. Kemp have three children - May B., William F. and Bessie A. Mr. Kemp belongs to the Masonic fraternity of Council Bluffs; he is a Republican,
and has held several township offices.


Farmer, P. O. Council
Bluffs, was born in Lancaster County. Penn., iu 1837, son of Benjamin and Sarah Meginness, natives of Pennsylvania; he died in 1868. she in 1850. Mr. Meginness attended the common schools, and afterward went to the Academy at Jersey Shore, Penn. He has three brothers farming in Pottawattamie County. Iowa; one in California in the same occupation, and one in Pennsylvania as chief editor of the Williamsport Gazette and Bulletin. Mr. Meginness came to Council Bluffs in the fall of 1846; crossed over into Nebraska and stayed in what is now Florence, till the spring of 1848. then came back to the Iowa side, remaining till 1853. and then returning to Pennsylvania, where he remained four years. In 1863, he enlisted in the Twenty-ninth Iowa Infantry, and was under Steele's command in Arkansas; he was captured April 30, 1864, at Jenkin's Ferry, Saline River, while he lay wounded on the field, after Steele's retreat; he was subsequently taken to Tyler, Texas, and mustered out with paroled prisoners in February, 1865. In 1858, in Pottawattamie County, Iowa, Mr. Meginness was married to Mrs. (Nixon) Debolt, daughter of William Nixon. They have one son and three daughters. Mr. Meginness came to this place in the spring of 1868, and purchased an unimproved farm; he now has 450 acres, about one-half of which is under cultivation; he raises stock extensively; he is a plasterer by trade, but has been engaged in farming since 1859. Mr. Meginness owes liis success in life to his own energy and perseverance; he is a Republican politics.


Farming, P. O. Council Bluffs,
was born in Massachusetts in 1831, son of Pliny and Melissa Prouty, natives of Massachusetts, and the parents of five boys and three girls. Mr. Prouty was educated at the common schools and at Leicester Academy, Massachusetts, and in that State taught school, having charge of one of the city schools of Worcester in 1854. He then taught two years in Virginia, where he was married, in 1857, to Miss Esther J. Hull, of Rockbridge County, that State. He left Virginia for Nebraska as a surveyor; thence to this township, where he rented a farm for three years of Mr. Bump; then rented for three years of Mr. Henry Garner the place which he now owns, having bought it in the spring of 1861. Since his residence in this township, Mr. Prouty has taught school for ten winters, carrying on farming during the summer months. He is still identified with the schools of the township.

STOKER, Mrs. Marguerite

Bluffs, was born in North Carolina in 1822; daughter of John and Rhoda Judd. When Mrs. Stoker was quite young, she moved, with her parents, from North Carolina to Indiana, where she was raised and educated. When seventeen years of age, she married Mr. E. Stoker, born in Ohio in 1816. At the time of her marriage, she was living with her mother (her father having died ten years before) on the Des Moines River, near what was called Meeke's Mill at that time a flouring mill, subsequently a woolen-mill; there she had lived a year previous to her marriage. The first two years after their marriage, Mr. and Mrs. Stoker lived in the eastern part of Garner Township, and then moved onto the present place. When they first settled in this township, almost their only neighbors were Indians and half-breeds, and they were obliged to procure their provisions in Missouri. When the Western lands first came into market, Mr. Stoker purchased 160 acres; he also entered land, and subsequently added to this till the farm now consists of 360 acres. Mr. Stoker died in 1855, leaving his wife with seven children, two of whom live in Harrison County and five in this county; they are all married, except the youngest son.


Farmer, P. O. Council
Bluffs, was born in Scotland in 1835; son of Archibald and Janet (Mcintosh) Templetou, natives of Scotland, both deceased; the father was a farmer. Mr. Templeton has three brothers and three sisters living and one brother dead; he has two brothers in America, one being in Michigan and one in Dakota Territory, the rest of the children are in Scotland. Mr. Templeton received his education in his native country, where he dealt in fruits, groceries, etc., and also followed farming before coming to this country. He lost everything in Scotland, and came here to start anew. He arrived in Chicago in December, 1871, and remained there as a laborer one year; then went to Colorado, and followed farming four years, having to irrigate all his land. In 1876, while Mr. Templeton was returning to Colorado by wagon from Des Moines, Iowa, a colt injured itself on a wire fence, causing a delay of several days, during which Mr. Templeton purchased seventy acres, a part of his present farm, in Iowa; this land was slightly improved. He now has 300 acres all under cultivation, except 120 acres of pasture; he has an orchard of ten acres, two of which are bearing at the present time; he has three teams, fifty head of cattle and fifty hogs, and carries on general farming. He has a comfortable house and outbuildings, and has set out shade trees, etc. He was married, July 4, 1872, in Kankakee, Ill., to Eliza Hanna, a native of Scotland, from where she emigrated, when quite young, with her parents; her father is dead, and her mother lives in Illinois, where Mrs. Templeton also has two sisters. Mr. Templeton is a Republican.


Farmer, P. O. Council
Bluffs, was born in Germany in 1848; son of Henry and Mary Tiarks, both of whom died when subject was young. He is the only child; was educated in Germany, and also went to school in America. He came to this country when eighteen years of age, and has no relatives here. When first coming to America, he settled in Jones County. Iowa, where he farmed in summer and went to school in winter. In 1870, he returned to Germany, was married to Lizzie Oltmanns, and then came to this county and settled on his present farm. When he first took his farm, it was raw prairie; he bought at that time eighty acres, but has since added to it till he now has 560 acres, all inclosed by fence, 200 acres being in pasture, with good improvements, buildings, orchard and small fruits. He pays most of his attention to stock-raising, feeding all his grain. In county elections, he always selects what he thinks the best men, but votes the Republican ticket in national elections. He has four children, all boys. His wife's parents are both in the old country. Mr. Tiarks inherited enough money from his parents to give him a good start in life. He has crossed the ocean five times, taking his family over to Germany for a visit in the winter of 1880-81.


P. O. Council Bluffs, were born near Columbus, Ohio, T. \V. in 1854, and C. L. in 1860; sons of George and Nancy (Romine) Van Sciever, he born in Philadelphia in 1809, and she in Virginia in 1814; both deceased; eight of the family are dead; our subjects have two brothers and two sisters living in Ohio. T. W. and brother commenced their education in the common schools, then T. W. attended the Agricultural College of Columbus, Ohio, and afterward read law at that place; C. L. continued his studies in Shippensburg, Penn. The two brothers began life farming and handling stock. In 1881, they were engaged in the mercantile business, and also the manfaeture of brick. They started for Dakota, but arriving at Council Bluffs changed their minds, and purchased their present farm of 450 acres in Pottawattamie County partly improved. They turn their attention mostly to stock-raising, and intend soon to devote their entire time to the raising of Short-Horn cattle and Poland-China hogs. They have an orchard of about three acres, which they are enlarging; they are also setting out groves. Mr. T. W. Van Sciever was married, December 28, 1875, to Miss Addie B. Smith, of Columbus, Ohio, daughter of Charles C. and Lucy Smith, parents of six children, of whom Mrs. Van Sceiver is the eklest. Her father came to Columbus, Ohio, in 1861, where he, in connection with his father, ran the largest steam tannery in Central Ohio, furnishing leather for the Government during the war. Her father died in 1876; her mother lives iu Columbus, Ohio, where she has also a brother and sister, they and Mrs. Van Sciever being the only surviving children. Mr. and Mrs. Van Sciever have one child, a son four years old. Mrs. Van Sciever attended Otterbein Universitj', studying three years in the scientific course. The Van Sciever Bros. trace their origin to Holland, where their great-grandfather was a Commodore, owning a line of vessels which ran between New York and Liverpool; he was also one of the first manufacturers of shoes in Philadelphia; their grandfather was a sea captain. Their father came to Franklin County, Ohio, when he was but nine years old, and lived there till his death, being one of the first settlers of that couuty; one of his sons now lives on the farm he first located on. Our subjects are Democrats.

From History of Pottawattamie County, Iowa, published by O. L. Baskin & Co., 1883