Struble, Iowa

Please feel free to contribute your photos. Submit

 


Struble Canaries ball team, circa 1910

Ed Riter, Manager


 

Bad Fire At Struble
Whole Town Threatened By The Flames
Citizens Do Some Heroic Work

Farmers Elevator Catches Fire From An Overheated Stove And Entire Structure
Is Destroyed Together With Large Quantity Of Grain

Fire destroyed the Farmer’s Elevator yesterday morning at Struble, about 10:45. The origin of the fire came from an overheated stove in the office near the gas engine. The fire was seen by August Johnson and Henry Geise, who were seated in front of the hotel. The fire bell rang, calling out at once the entire town to fight the blaze that threatened the entire business portion of the town. The cinders were blown on every roof for blocks away, as a strong wind prevailed. Men were stationed on every roof to fight the sparks, thus saving the town from being swept clean out by the flames. Fortunately it happened in the day time instead of at night.

The elevator was built three years ago at a cost of five thousand dollars,
and has been a success in business since. It contained about fifteen hundred dollars worth of grain. The insurance carried was $1500. F.W. Bennett has been manager the past year. Mr. Powers, Mr. Swingley and Mr. Collins of the Powers show there all week rendered valuable assistance to the local fire department, as they were veterans in the business and waded right in with a helping hand that will long be remembered.

~Source: LeMars Semi-Weekly Sentinel, Friday, Jan. 13, 1911




Return to Home Page

IAGenWeb