Remsen No. 2
Newspaper Articles in chronological date order
Note of explanation: The following 1933 article concerned the rebuilding of Remsen # 2 after it was destroyed by fire in October of 1932. School # 2 was known as the Frank Maass School and was located in the northeast corner of section 33 of Remsen Township. Frank Maass lived ½ mile west of the school on the north side of the road.
Remsen Bell-Enterprise, July 6, 1933
The voters of Remsen township, rural district, will be asked to decide, July 17, on the matter of erecting a new school building to replace the one destroyed by fire last October. A special election will be held at school No. 5, four miles east and two miles south of Remsen. The question at issue is whether the voters of the district favor using the $900 insurance money received on the building lost in the fire, plus the necessary money from the general fund to make up the required $2,000, for the erection of a new building. If the proposition carries, which school officers believe it will, they plan to commence building operations at once. The burned building was No. 2, located four miles south and two miles east of town, and was known as the Frank Maas [Maass] school. The old building went up in smoke early one morning last October when the teacher built a stove fire and left the building. Soon the fire was discovered but with inadequate fire fighting equipment on hand the structure was destroyed in a short time.