Private Lester R. Burrill

LeMars Sentinel, October 22, 1918:

Word has been received in LeMars of the death of Lester Burrill, who died at South Bend, Ind., on Friday of pneumonia. Lester was in training camp at Notre Dame university. He was nineteen years of age (actually still 18) and was a son of Robert Burrill, a member of a well known Liberty township family, who resides in Sioux City. Lester was born on a farm in Johnson township. He later attended the Akron high school and assisted his uncle, W. W. Burrill in a clothing store. He attended Trinity college, Leeds, and was graduated from that institution last year. He was a member of the Student Army training corps at Notre Dame university. While attending school young Burrill was one of the most popular boys among his associates and took a prominent part in school circles.

He is survived by his father, Robert Burrill, of Sioux City, two brothers and two sisters, who are Clarence, of Omaha, Neb.; Percy, of Massilion, Ohio; Stella, living in LeMars and Rosalie, who lives in Merrill. His mother died thirteen years ago. (Mention of Mary Isabelle, a sister who died in 1911, is omitted.)

The body will be shipped here for burial. Funeral arrangements have not yet been completed as relatives have not been notified as to when the remains will arrive.


Akron Register-Tribune
October 24, 1918

A message received Friday night by W. W. Burrill advised him of the serious
illness of his nephew, Lester R. Burrill, at Notre Dame University, South
Bend, Ind., of Spanish influenza, and another telegram followed Saturday
morning conveying the sad news of the young man’s death at about 1 o’clock

Lester R. Burrill was born in Johnson township, Plymouth County, Iowa, in
January 1900, and his father, Robert Burrill, a member of a prominent
Liberty township family, now resides in Sioux City. His mother died
thirteen years ago. Lester received his early education in St. Joseph’s
school at LeMars and later attended Trinity College, Sioux City, from which
institution he graduated in the Spring of 1917 with high honors. During the
year following he made his home in Akron with his uncle, W. W. Burrill, and
clerked in the Burrill-Douglass Co. clothing store. Last September he
enlisted in the Student’s Army Training Corps at Notre Dame University,
where he was preparing to serve his country in the great strife for
democracy when the untimely summons came at St. Joseph’s hospital, South
Bend, Indiana. Death resulted from lobar pneumonia.

Lester was an industrious, clean living and clean thinking young man, a true
friend and cheery companion and a devout Christian. His genial temperament
made him a prime favorite in a wide circle of acquaintances. He was a
bright student, and especially along dramatic lines his future seemed to
hold great possibilities. The following fine tribute came from Capt. W. P.
Murray, his commanding officer at Notre Dame University: “Private Burrill
was an excellent soldier, who was universally liked by his officers and his
fellow soldiers, and his unfortunate death is a source of sorrow to all of

He is survived by his father, Robert Burrill, of Sioux City; two brothers
and two sisters—Clarence, of Omaha, Nebr.; Percy, of Massilion, Ohio;
Stella, of LeMars and Rosalie, of Merrill. To these and other relatives,
the many friends offer sympathy in their bereavement.

Accompanied by his comrade and school mate, Private Clarence A. Markey, of
Huron, S.D., the remains arrived in LeMars yesterday afternoon. The LeMars
G.A.R. post members acting as escort, relatives and friends accompanied the
remains from the depot to the Catholic cemetery there, where the burial
services were conducted by Monsignor W. A. Paper, of LeMars, assisted by
Rev. Murphy, of Trinity College, Sioux City, and Rev. D. K. Hurley, of
Akron. W. W. Burrill and family went from here to attend the burial services

LeMars Sentinel, October 25, 1918:

Last Services for Two Youths Who Died in Camps

The remains of Lester Burrill, who died in training camp at Notre Dame, Ind., arrived in LeMars on Wednesday afternoon and the funeral services were held at St. Joseph's church cemetery. The members of the G. A. R. formed a military escort and the hearse and coffin were draped with the national flag.