SPECIAL SERVICES AT ST. PAUL’S, REMSEN
Church Organized In October, 1884
St. Paul’s Evangelical Lutheran Church in Remsen, observed its 65th Anniversary Sunday, June 19, 1949, with a special service in connection with Father’s Day.
St. Paul’s congregation was organized October 19, 1884, five years before the incorporation of the town, by the Reverend O. C. Miner, who was then stationed at LeMars. He conducted services in the public school building until the summer of 1885, when a storm destroyed the building. Services were then held in private homes until a new church structure was dedicated in 1888.
The church was officially incorporated in February, 1890. In 1931 the present church building was erected under the leadership of the Reverend Hugo Weichelt.
Pastors who have served St. Paul’s congregation were Reverend H. Bender, Reverend Drescheler, Reverend George Kreth, Reverend P. Hoeppner, Reverend K. A. Dettman, Reverend Vehe; Reverend Birkner, Reverend Jurgens, Reverend Henry Reifschneider and Reverend Hugo Weichelt. The present pastor, the Reverend Paul Wuebben, has served the congregation the past sixteen years.
The officers of the present church board (1949) are William Raetz, president; Nis Mortensen, secretary; Emmanuel Schmidt, treasurer, and William Benjegerdes, trustee. Mrs. Christine Schut is the oldest member of the congregation. Mrs. Anna Kramer is the oldest active member. Dick Benjegerdes, who has been blind since birth, has been the church’s organist for 43 years.
Source: LeMars Semi-Weekly Sentinel, June 21, 1949