Merrill-Stanton United Methodist Church
Progression of the Church Name:
1874-1922, Salem Congregation of the Evangelical Assoc.
1889-1923, Emanuel United Evangelical Church --these two merged and became:
1923, Stanton Evangelical Church
1946-66, Merrill-Stanton Evangelical United Brethren Church
1967-1971, Merrill-Stanton United Methodist Church
When the Merrill-Stanton United Methodist Church closed its doors June 13, 1971, it completed 100 years as a congregation. Their sanctuary was constructed in 1928 with an educational addition and stained-glass windows by 1955.
Beginning the next year after Stanton Twp. was formed, from 1871 to 1874, class of the Floyd Valley Mission of the Iowa Conf. of the Evangelical Assoc. met in member homes. From 1874-1922 Salem Congregation of the Evangelical Assoc. met at the present site of the Stanton Cemetery.
In 1889 a schism group began worship at a site in the NW ¼ of Sec. 19 forming Emanuel United Evangelical Church. In 1890 their first building burned two weeks after completion when struck by lightning. It was rebuilt immediately and continued in use when, in 1923, the two congregations reunited into the Stanton Evangelical Church.
From 1946-66 it was the Merrill-Stanton Evangelical United Brethren Church because of their denominations merging. From 1967-71 it was the Merrill-Stanton United Methodist Church because of another denominational merger.
~Submitted by Eugene Linn, Pastor of Kingsley Bible Church