Merrill, Iowa

History of Merrill Cemetery, which became known as Merrill Hillside Cemetery

Merrill Cemetery, one mile north of Merrill, was platted in February 1888 and incorporated April 14, 1890, by local citizens, four acres having been purchased from Frost and Fullbrook for $160.00 and at that time the lots sold for $10.00. Officers at the time of incorporation were Frost, Leekley, Aldrich, and Semple. Directors were Fullbrook, Leekley and R. Lake. New articles of incorporation were made August 20, 1951, and the cemetery became known as the Merrill Hillside Cemetery. It is jointly owned by the town of Merrill and Plymouth Township.

First Burial Plot
The oldest grave marker in the Merrill Hillside Cemetery is from 1886
Freda Kastner
Born 1885
Died 29 Dec 1886

~Source: Merrill Centennial 1872-1972 book, pages 16 & 17


Return to Home Page