Elizabeth (Betsy Penor) Shum
Both Elizabeth and Peter were born in Quebec, Canada. They moved with their families to Vermont when they were young.
Peter was born in 1831, the son of Francois or Francis/Frank and Marguerite/Margaret Shum. His father died, leaving Margaret with a young family. She then married Joseph Marsell, another French Canadian immigrant. Following Elizabeth's death, Peter married Carrie Knecht in Clarinda in 1904. He died in Clarinda in 1911 and is buried in the Rose Hill/Cagley cemetrey north of Clarinda.
Elizabeth was born in 1833. She and Peter were married in December 1851, probably in Rutland County, Vermont. She died in 1902 in Page County and is buried at Rose Hill Cemetery north of Clarinda.
Peter and Elizabeth came west to Lee County, Iowa, then on to Page County in 1873, where his elder brother, Francis or Frank was living with his family.
Peter and Elizabeth's children were:
- Alexander, 1852-1928, born in Vermont, farmed north of Clarinda.
- Peter, 1853-1912. born in Vermont, farmed in Page County, Iowa
- George, 1855-1841, born in Vermont, lived his adult life in Taylor County, Iowa.
- Joseph, 1857-1933, born in Lee County, Iowa, lived most of his life in Page County
- Mary Elizabeth (Lizzie), 1859-1905, born in Lee County. Married William H. Sullivan. Buried Rose Hill/Cagely Cemetery north of Clarinda
- Albert Edward, 1861-1862, born in Lee County. Buried in the New Sharon Cemetery in Lee County.
- David, born in Lee County; May, 1863 to December 1863. Buried in the New Sharon Cemetery in Lee County.
- John B. Shum, born 1864, Lee County. Died 1928 in Kansas
- William, born 1866 in Lee County. Died 1835 at Sharpsburg, Iowa. Buried Gravity.
- James Evans, born 1868, Lee County. Died 1943 and buried in the Clarinda cemetery
- Francis, September 1869-October 1869. Buried New Sharon Cemetery, Harrison Township, Lee County
- Abraham, 1870-1894
- Margaret. October-November 1872. Lee County. Buried in the New Sharon Cemetery in Lee County.
- Samuel, November 1873-August 1874, Page County. Buried with his parents in the Rose Hill/Cagley cemetery north of Clarinda.
- Moses, 1874-1938. Buried Elmwood Cemetery, Coin, Iowa.
- Anna Bridget (Annie), 1876-1929. Married Curry Muckey