Biographical History of Page County, Iowa, Lewis & Dunbar Publishers, 113 Adams Street, Chicago, Illinois, 1890

by Pat O'Dell:


WILLIAM CUNNING one of the representative men of East River Township, is justly entitled to space in this connection. He was born January 25, 1818, in Columbiana County, Ohio, and is the son of Robert and Margaret Cunning, natives of Pennsylvania. The paternal grandfather, Robert Cunning, Sr., fought in the Revolutionary war under General Washington. When William was six years of age his parents removed to Trumbull County, Ohio, where he grew to manhood. At the age of fourteen years he went to learn the trade of bricklaying with Mr. Ledwick Bingham of Cleveland, with whom he served an apprenticeship of seven years. In 1836 he located in Crawford County, Ohio, where he followed his occupation for eight years. He then emigrated to Page County, Iowa, settling in what is now East River, but was then Buchanan Township. He made the journey overland by teams, and was forty-two days en route. When he arrived at Corning, Adams County, Iowa, he met with a severe loss. He had with him $1,000 in gold, which was secreted in a box or trunk.   The precious [page 534] metal was stolen from its hiding place while he was absent from the wagon by a man named Alexander Souder, whom he had brought through with him free of charge; he was suspected, arrested, and placed in jail at Glenwood. The money was nearly all given up by the prisoner, and he was finally released on account of the grand jury's being too full of pioneer whisky to look upon the theft as much of a crime !
In the autumn of 1854 he located on section 16, East River Township, which he had the honor of naming; he now owns 265 acres on section 16, besides eighty acres on section 15. His farm is one of the best and most valuable in the county. Upon first locating here the family had many hardships to undergo; they had to make the material for most of their clothing, the wife being a good weaver; a distance of seventy-five miles had to be traversed to mill; the first five years they dwelt in a log cabin, but this in 1862 was replaced with their present residence.
Mr. Cunning's life has been of varied experience; he taught twenty-one terms of school in Crawford County, Ohio; at the age of twenty-three years he purchased a house and lot of Dr. Merriman at Bucyrus, Ohio, for $250, and was to pay for the same by erecting a brick building; this he accomplished aided by none save a brick-tender; he mixed his own mortar at night, and toiled along until he finally completed the building; he laid the foundation himself and did his own plastering. It was indeed a triumph of industry and was the cornerstone of his success.
June 3, 1841, Mr. Cunning was united in marriage to Ruth Chandler, a daughter of Joseph and Malinda (Wright) Chandler, natives of Vermont.
In 1876 Mr. Cunning was put before the people by the Greenback party for Representative. He has done much towards the improvement of the county, and his whole career has been a living example of uprightness and morality. He joined the church of his choice when but sixteen years of age, and has always kept the faith. He was never intoxicated, and never made a bet or gambled. At the time the Oskaloosa College was built he gave $200 toward the endowment fund. In company with W. H. Wilson he laid the foundation of the Page County courthouse, and had the honor of setting the cornerstone. He built the first brick building at Clarinda, and has erected all but two now found on the west side of the public square.
Mr. and Mrs. Cunning are members of the Christian church at Clarinda. They are the parents of nine children: Joseph W. S., Andrew O., Franklin, Sarah A., wife of James Davidson; Mary M., wife of H. B. Hebbert; Alonzo, Hiram, and Philena, wife of L. T. Rawlings; Henry Clay sacrificed his life in the cause of his country, being killed at Port Gibson, May 1, 1863. He was a member of Company K, Twenty-third Iowa Volunteer Infantry.


DAVID WILFLEY, one of the representative farmers of East River Township, was born in Callaway County, Missouri, August 9, 1824, and is a son of John and Mary (Rhoades) Wilfiey, natives of Maryland, of German and English ancestry. There were fourteen children in the family, of whom twelve grew to maturity. David was the ninth child, and until he was thirteen years old lived in the county in which he was born. He then removed with his parents to Buchanan County, Missouri, where he spent the remainder of his youth. He was trained in the subscription schools of that day. How-[page 535]ever, he has not allowed this lack of opportunity to stand in his way, but has acquired much practical information which has enabled him to transact all the business which requires his attention.
In December, 1846, Mr. Wilfley enlisted as a soldier in the Mexican war, serving as a guard to convey money to Santa Fe, with which General Price's regiment was to be paid; he remained in the army till the following June, when he returned to Buchanan County.
Mr. Wilfley was married March 28, 1848, to Miss Martha Anderson, a daughter of Joshua and Sabra (Baker) Anderson, natives of Kentucky and Tennessee respectively. Mrs. Wilfley is one of a family of three children, and was born in Jackson County, Mis­souri, August 6, 1827. Nine children have been born of this union: Henry, residing in Page County, was born in January 23, 1850; Robert, a resident of Hopkins, Missouri, was born June 18, 1853; Martin was born January 31, 1858; Emma, May 11,1862; Thomas, December 10, 1866; James, May 31, 1869: Carson, August 8,1855, and died in January, 1858; Elizabeth died in infancy; John was born September 18,1860, and died October 1, 1889.
After his marriage Mr. Wilfley continued to reside in Buchanan County, Missouri, until 1861, when he removed his family to Page County, Iowa, and settled on a farm of 160 acres in East River Township; there he has since made his home with the exception of two years spent in Missouri.
When he located on this land there were no improvements except a small orchard which had been planted by a previous resident. He built a log house, which served as a shelter for some time, and when he was able built a frame dwelling. Finally, in 1880, having been prosperous in business, he erected his present substantial brick residence, which is now surrounded with many improvements.
Mr. Wilfley's family showing a disposition to seek professional rather than an agricultural life, he has not accumulated much land, but has confined his farming interests to 160 acres, which now surround his comfortable residence. He has given his children superior educational advantages; one son is a lawyer in Hopkins, Missouri, and John, who is deceased, was also an attorney. Three children have taught in the county, and the family have been an advantage to the community in which they have resided.
Politically our subject is a stanch Democrat, and has represented his township as Justice of the Peace almost constantly for the past twenty-six years; he has also held the office of township clerk and school treasurer. He is a worthy man and true, and has been faithful to all the trusts placed in him.


WILLlAM NORTH, of section 36, Pierce Township, was born in Chaimpaign County, Ohio, October 21, 1821, and is a son of Lyman and Lucy (Cowles) North. His parents were natives of Connecticut, and were early settlers in Ohio, coming to Greene County in 1815, and in 1818 to Champaign County. He is one of a family of twelve children. He was first married at the age of twenty-one years, to Miss Wealthy Weed, and settled in Auglaize County, Ohio. There he lived until 1855, when he came to Iowa and settled in Johnson County; he improved a new farm, sold it and improved another, on which he lived until the fall of 1868, when he came to Page County. He bought a section of land, which he began improving in 1869, but did not remove his family to the place until 1870. [page 536] The neighbors were few and far between and Miller Station was twelve miles away.
In October, 1869, Mr. North's wife died and he brought his three unmarried daughters to this wild and almost uninhabited section. He had five daughters in the family, whose names are as follows: Lucy, wife of C. W. W. Dow; Ida, widow of Joseph Moyle; Malissa, wife of John Swank; Hattie, wife of Jerris Lewis, and Neva, residing at home.
Mr. North was again married March 6, 1871, to Mrs. Elizabeth Carwin, widow of James G. Carwin, M. D. Doctor Carwin was born in Livingston County, New York, July 26, 1827; he was engaged in the prac­tice of his profession the most of his life, but a few years before his death he was interested in agriculture. He died October 22, 1865, leaving two children: Alta Belle, the wife of Fred Chandler, and William B., who married Miss Viola Bannister, a daughter of William Bannister.
Mrs. North was born at Dorset, Bennington County, Vermont, September 22, 1834, and is a daughter of Channcey and Susan (Dunton) Borland, natives of Vermont. The Borland family are from Ireland. James B., father of Chauncey, married Elizabeth Grey; his father was a native of Ireland, and settled in New Hampshire in the early colonial days, and there married an Ayres. Mrs North received a superior education for the times, and was a teacher in Vermont for two years. In the spring of 1852 she came to. Chicago with her brother James, now a resident of Grant Township, and afterward to Iowa City. After her husband's death she lived in Iowa City until her marriage to Mr. North. She had come to Page County in 1869 and bought 680 acres of land in Grant Township, expecting to make it her home.
Mr. and Mrs. North are the parents of two children, Lyman  and Garfield. Mr. North is largely engaged in stock raising, and feeds about one hundred head annually. His farm now consists of 1,580 acres, divided into six farms, which are tended by tenants; he also owns 120 acres in Wright County and 160 acres in Noble County, Minnesota. He gives his personal attention to his business and derives there from a handsome income. He is identified with the Republican party and is an ardent supporter of the principles of prohibition; he is also a member of the Masonic fraternity.
Mrs. North is prominently connected with the W. C. T. P. work and is superintendent of legislation and petition work in Page County; she attends the national and State conventions and takes an active part in every movement. She is a well-read woman and has a fluency of language and originality of ideas seldom found in one whose life has been so largely devoted to family and business cares. She has gone into the woman's work with her whole soul, and is of an eminently practical mind. May the good work go on unimpeded to lasting success and universal recognition!


REV. A. K. MYATTWAY, pastor of the Baptist Church, Clarinda, Iowa, is a native of Burmah. He was born in the city of Rangoon, and belongs to the tribe of Sgau Karen. His parents were converted to Christianity under the labors of the Rev. J. H. Vinton and wife. His father was one of the Karen chiefs before the English possession; and his family remained prominent and respected under the English government. Of special note was his oldest brother, Ko Engike, who was accounted the richest and most influential of the merchant princes of Rangoon. Mr.  Myattway' is the  youngest of his [page 537] father's twelve children by his first wife. He, as well as the other children, were given the best school privileges from early childhood. Most of his school days in Burmah were spent in the Rangoon Pegu High School. He also attended Mr. Mark's school in the city and the Rangoon Baptist College, devoting three years to these two institutions. His oldest brother, who was his guardian after his mother's death, desiring to give him the best education possible, sent him to the care of Rev. J. B. Vinton, son of the missionary under whom his parents were converted, to America in 1875. Dr. Vinton being an alumnus of the Madison University, took him to Hamilton, New York, the seat of the university, the Hamilton Theological Seminary, and Colgate Academy. There he spent nine years in school. He graduated from the academy in 1879, and from the university in 1883, having taken the full classical course of both. On his graduation from the latter he was awarded the highest prize, known as the Lewis Prize, for excellence in oratory. He remained two years in the Theological Seminary, and took the last year of his theological course at Morgan Park Seminary, finishing in the class of 1886. His brother paid his passage to America and supported him for two years, but business failures compelled him to cease sending funds. Thrown upon his own resources, Mr. Myattway worked his way through the rest of his course.
After his last graduation he preached three months for the Baptist Church in Fairfield, Nebraska, and five weeks for the Lincoln Baptist Church in the same State. In Jannary, 1887, he was called to the pastorate of the church at Wahoo, Nebraska, where he remained a little over two years. From Wahoo he came to Clarinda and settled with the Baptist Church May 1, 1889.
While preaching at Lincoln, Mr. Myattway met a school-teacher named Frances T. Hunt, a young lady of marked ability and superior graces. The acquaintance matured into attachment and in October, 1887, they were united in marriage. Mrs. Myattway is a native of Great Britain. Her parents came to America when she was seven years old. After her common-school training she left home and worked her way through and graduated from the High School in Marengo, Illinois, in 1880. She is a person fitted in every way for the position she holds.



A.B. CARROLL, A. M., Superintendent of the Public Schools of Shenandoah, was born in Jackson County, Ohio, January 4,1853. The family emigrated from Ohio to Iowa in 1853, and located near Troy, Davis County, where he grew to manhood surrounded by such influences as are incident to farm life and country associations. He was started to school when he was four years old, but found the alphabet a terrible obstacle in his path. When he was nine years old his father became a confirmed invalid, and after five years of suffering passed away. The family consisted of thirteen children, and the lingering disease of the father and repeated failure of crops left Mrs. Carroll in debt; but she was resolute and determined, and man­aged the farm with so much ability that she had the satisfaction of placing herself beyond the danger of indebtedness, and of seeing her children grown and settled in various occupations, industrious and respected citizens.
At the age of fifteen, the subject of this sketch proposed to his mother and brothers that he would start out in life on his own responsibility. He accordingly hired to a neighboring farmer, but in doing some heavy work was injured so that he found it necessary [page 538] to abandon hard manual labor. He secured a school, and at the age of sixteen years began his career as a teacher. In order to fit himself better for his profession he attended Troy Academy, and in 1876 entered the State Normal School at Kirksville, Missouri, from which he was graduated in 1880, receiving the degree of A. M. Since that time he has been engaged as principal of graded schools; he is an excellent disciplinarian, an admirable superintendent and a thorough teacher. At no time in their previous history have the schools of Shenandoah been in so prosperous and healthy a condition.
Prof. Carroll has for several vacation seasons been engaged in institute work, in which he is a decided success.
He was married January 4, 1888, to Miss Lizzie Bailey. One child has blessed this union—Alta Burdena.


COLONEL THOMAS NEWSOM PACE, the present Postmaster and one of the most highly respected citizens of Shenandoah, was born on a farm in Cumberland County, Kentucky, August 17, 1831. His parents, Wyatt and Sarah S. (Barton) Pace, were both born in Henry County, Virginia, where the father's ancestors lived for many generations. The Colonel's grandfather, Newsom Pace, was a native of Scotland, and settled in Virginia with his parents when a boy; he was one of the last survivors of the Revolutionary war, in which he served seven years. His death occurred at his home in Virginia in 1842, at the age of ninety-seven years. Colonel Pace's mother was a daughter of William and Sarah (Alexander) Barton, natives of Virginia, who settled in Kentucky about the year 1810. Thomas is the youngest of four children, Joseph, John, and Mary, wife of G. E. Skaggs, being the others. The mother was left a widow when the youngest child was an infant, and after eight years of struggle in Kentucky she removed to Warrick County, Indiana; there, in 1845,she was again united in marriage to J. B. Miller, and there she continued to reside until her death, which occurred in September, 1874, in her seventy-fourth year. Her husband survived her until 1883.
Young Thomas Pace early became inured to the labor of farm life, and until his eighteenth year he had but limited educational advantages; at that time he began life for himself, his first efforts being in the direction of growing a crop of tobacco. From this he realized $250, with which he paid his way through a two years' course at the Delaney Academy, Newburgh, Indiana. When he left this institution he was prepared to assume the duties of a pedagogue, and for two years he taught school near his old home. Upon leaving the school-room he entered a dry-goods store at Newburgh, in which he was employed as salesman for two years. Having saved a small amount of money, in 1858 he became a partner in a similar business at Millers-burgh, Indiana, in which he continued until the spring of 1861; he then disposed of his mercantile interests to offer his services to the Government, which had made such an urgent call for troops. He enlisted at Boonville, Indiana, July 21, 1861, in Company G, First Indiana Cavalry,and was unanimously elected Captain. Each soldier had furnished his own horse and outfit, and this regiment soon became known as the best equipped and drilled in the command. After a few weeks spent at Evansville the regiment was sent to St. Louis, Missouri, to join Fremont, and it was the first regiment of cavalry to cross the Mississippi Biver. Until October of that year the St. Louis fair grounds were their headquarters, [page 539] and Colonel Pace was kept busy drilling his men and preparing them for more active military life. During the winter of 1861-'62 he was stationed with his command at Pilot Knob, Missouri, and participated in more than a dozen skirmishes against the noted Rebel commander, Jeff. Thompson. In March, 1862, Captain Pace, with his company, under command of General Steele, marched to Helena, Arkansas, where they remained until August, 1863. The office of Major becoming vacant by death, Captain Pace was promoted to that position in February, 1863; his service as such was of short duration, however, as he was soon promoted to the position of Lieutenant-Colonel. July 4,1863, he participated in the battle at Helena, Arkansas, where much of the hard fighting fell to the cavalry. In September he took part in the capture of Little Rock, in which his command was no unimportant factor; upon reaching the Arkansas River below Little Rock, General Steele ordered Colonel Pace to reconnoiter; he sent his aide in advance, who reported the place abandoned. When Colonel Pace made this report, General Steele retorted, " It's a lie; go, see yourself, sir." Colonel Pace went, and made a personal inspection and found that the place had been evacuated but an hour before; he at once took possession, and soon after the city of Little Rock fell. After this he was stationed at Pine Bluff, where he was attacked by General Marmaduke with a force of 4,000 men, but the enemy was repulsed and he held his position.
In March, 1864, he returned to Indiana, having been appointed Colonel of the Tenth Indiana Cavalry. On April 1 he assumed his new command, and May 6, while en route to Nashville with 700 unmounted men, a collision occurred to his train, in which ninety-three were either killed or wounded. He was stationed at Pulaski and remained there until November; he afterward took part in the battles of Columbia and Franklin. In the battle at Nashville he commanded a brigade consisting of his own regiment and a part of the Thirteenth Indiana and the Sixth Tennessee; he was then ordered to the Department of the Gulf, and on this trip suffered the loss of many brave men who were being transported in an unsafe vessel which he had employed under protest. After the fall of Mobile Colonel Pace was on duty in Alabama and Mississippi until the surrender of Lee, after which he was stationed before Vicksburg until September, 1865, when he was mustered out.
After all these years of active service in the cause of his country, Colonel Pace was glad to return to the ordinary pursuits of life. He sought a business opening at Boonville, Indiana, and engaged in the grocery and tobacco trade for two years. He then engaged in the tobacco commission business at Evansville, Indiana, in which he continued six years. Believing that the State of Iowa presented excellent business opportunities, he decided to cast his fortunes with the people of Page County; he settled in the rapidly growing village of Shenandoah, where he embarked in the dry-goods trade as a member of the firm of Pace, Wilcox & Co., a firm that is still doing a thriving business. To this enterprise he has given his time and attention, and is widely known as a reliable and careful business man, one whose opinions on financial, social and political questions is highly respected.
Colonel Pace has not aspired to public prominence, and the position that he now occupies has been accorded him at the earnest request of his numerous friends; it is a just recognition of his business ability, his years of faithful military service, his steadfast manhood, and his loyalty as a citizen. He assumed [page 540] the duties of the office August 1, 1889, and has made numerous changes to the advantage of the patrons.
Colonel Pace was married August 12,1863, while on a furlough, to Miss Mary E. Wilcox, a daughter of Samuel S. and Sarah E. (De Forest) Wilcox, pioneers of Fremont County, Iowa. The marriage took place at the Wilcox home a few miles from Shenandoah. Mrs. Pace was born in Boonville, Indiana, September 15, 1842. One child was born of this union, Sarah Emily, who died October 15, 1867, aged three years.
The Colonel is a member of Burnside Post, No. 56, G. A. R., and of S[h]enandoah Lodge, No. 261, I. O. O. F.


REUBEN BROOKS CROSE, senior member of the popular mercantile firm of R. B. & C. F. Crose, is one of the most favorably known business men that the city of Shenandoah numbers among its numerous progressive merchants. He is one of the few men who started with the infant village, and has contributed as much to its growth and prosperity as any other citizen. Few men in any community enjoy a more extended acquaintance and none have the public confidence more implicitly than the gentleman whose life we are reviewing. Square in every transaction, his word has been relied upon and no man can say that this confidence has ever been betrayed by depending upon Mr. Crose. " Fair Dealing " has been his motto and as a result he has become the possessor of a competency of no mean dimensions.
William F. Crose, the father of Reuben B. is one of the pioneers of southwestern Iowa, having settled at Sidney, Fremont County, in June, 1854. He was born in Bourbon County, Kentucky, December 20, 1824, and is a son of Jonathan and Susan (Utterback) Crose. The Crose family came from German ancestors, but more directly from Virginia, from which State Michael Crose, the father of Jonathan, emigrated to Kentucky at an early day. In 1830 the family removed to Tippecanoe County, Indiana, and after a few years settled permanently in Boone County.
William Crose was married March 23, 1845, to Miss Eliza J. Van Eaton. In 1854 when he settled in Iowa but three families were living between Clarinda and Sidney. He was engaged in farming until eight years since, when he left his farm and came to Shenandoah. His wife was born in Indiana and is the daughter of Joshua Van Eaton, who was also a pioneer of Iowa. The parents of W. F. is from a family of eleven and his wife twelve children, and they have had born to them ten children: three died in childhood, and Carrie, the only daughter, wife of George Boyd, died in 1882, at the age of twenty-seven years. Six brothers are now living: Reuben B., Isaac Cook, Andrew Jackson, Shelton Langdon, Charles Ferdinand and William Hutchinson; all excepting Isaac and Shelton are residents of Shenandoah, and they are in Colorado.
Reuben B. was eight years of age when he was brought to Iowa and experienced the life usual to improving a new farm in a new country. He received such school advantages as the new town of Sidney afforded, and being naturally quick and attentive he rapidly acquired a fair education; he afterwards entered the Bryant & Stratton Commercial College and took a thorough business course. At the age of seventeen years he became a clerk in the general store of Tootle & Wood at Sidney, with whom he remained several months; he then went into a store at Hamburg, but after six months he returned to Sid- [page 541] ney and entered the store of A. F. Metelman, now a banker of Sidney. Meeting with flattering success they opened a branch store at Manti, with Mr. Crose in charge. Manti is now a defunct village but at that time was in a flourishing condition.
Soon after the platting of Shenandoah Mr. Crose bought a lot and as soon as convenient began the erection of a store room, being among the first to embark in business. He opened his stock to the public in October, 1870, and the partnership with Mr. Metelman continued for five years, when Mr. Crose became sole proprietor. He continued the business alone until 1881, when his younger brother, Charles F., who had been clerking with him was taken into partnership. Mr. Crose devotes his attention to the general management of the business, and his long years of experience in supplying the public wants enable him to buy just such goods as are demanded and at an advantage over most competitors. The business is conducted in a commodious brick block erected in 1880, to which an addition was made in 1885. An idea of the extent of the business can be gained when it is known that the aggregate of the sales since 1870 largely exceed $1,000,000.
Mr. Crose is a close student of human nature and is ready and willing to lend a helping hand to any truly worthy young man, and more than one individual has recognized in him a benefactor. After erecting his present store he started a hardware business in his old stand, and the sales of this concern have already reached nearly a quarter of a million dollars. Other enterprises of Shenandoah have felt Mr. Crose's influence. He became a director of the First National Bank upon its organization and has continued as such to the present time. He is a stockholder  in  the Shenandoah National Bank, and owns a farm of 160 acres four miles from the town. Politically he is identified with the Republican party and does not hesitate to express his matured opinions on public questions. He has ever been active in educational matters, and the present prominence of Shenandoah as an educational center is largely due to his untiring efforts and faith in the future of the place. The religious advantages of Shenandoah are unsurpassed, and to the erection and support of every church edifice in the city and surrounding country Mr. Crose has contributed liberally. He and his estimable wife are members of the Baptist denomination but work in harmony with the sister churches.
Mr. Crose was united in marriage July 14, 1870, at Sidney, to Miss Clara Jane Penn, daughter of Dr. J. N. and Emily J. (Rickey) Penn. She was born at Waynesburgh, Greene County, Pennsylvania, August 8, 1849. Seven children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Crose: Clara May, the oldest child, died at a little over two years old, and Josiah died in infancy; those living are Walter Penn, Newton William, Reuben Brooks, Alfonso Charles and Carrie Emily.

WILLIAM CLINTON MATHEWS, real estate dealer, Justice of the Peace and Notary Public. There are but few men living who have had similar experiences to those of Mr. Mathews, and it is the writer's regret that limited space will not admit of an extended review of his life.
William C. Mathews was born November 20, 1827, at Canandaigua, Ontario County, New York, and is the sixth and only surviving one of seven sons. His father, David Mathews, was born in France, and his mother, Clarissa (Berry) Mathews, is of German par-[page 542] entage. When he was five years old the family removed to Medina County, Ohio, where they lived four years; thence they went to Farmington, Lee County, Iowa, and resided there three years; at the end of this period they removed to Nauvoo, Illinois, the headquarters of the Mormon Church, to which they belonged; soon after they removed to Appanoose, where the parents died, leaving three sons, four having passed away previous to this time.
William was now thrown upon his own resources; until the spring of 1845 he made his home with one brother, who was living at La Harpe, Illinois; he then went to work on the farm of Mr. Eggelston, who was in after years his father-in-law. Mrs. Eggleston was a member of the Mormon Church, and when the family joined the exodus from Nauvoo in 1846, Mr. Mathews went with them. They passed through all the trials and hardships which everyone knows who is familiar with the history of the Mormon Church. When it was decided to investigate the teachings of the leaders at Florence, Mr. Mathews and James Steele were chosen to represent the Silver Creek Camp. They were soon satisfied that their worst suspicions did not approximate the true state of affairs; they journeyed many weary miles with the caravan, on their their way west, but finally asked permission to return to their home. Mr. Mathews had been married April 20, 1847, to Miss Amanda M. Eggleston, and had left her behind when he set out on his mission of investigation. He and his friend, Mr. Steele, arrived in the community in November, aud the report of the embassadors was sorrowfully received. This band of wanderers decided to remain in Iowa, and so set about making homes for themselves. A few years later they formed he Reorganized Church of Latter-Day Saints in Page, Fremont, Mills, Montgomery and Taylor counties; there were 358 communicants, and the church was divided into six branches.
Mr. Mathews located on Silver Creek and improved two or three farms, the last one lying where the village of Silver City now stands. In 1857 he removed to Manti, Fremont County, Iowa, where he conducted a popular hotel until 1875; he was known as a genial and most obliging host. Fourteen years ago he came to Shenandoah,Iowa,and has since been engaged in his present business. He handles improved and unimproved lands, town property, and makes exchange business a specialty. He is also agent for fire, lightning, tornado and life insurance. He has been four times elected Justice of the Peace; he has been mayor of the city one term, and has been a member of the city council, where his judgment and sagacity have been given due weight. He is a Democrat in politics and gives considerable attention to public questions.
Mrs. Mathews departed this life September 23, 1883. She was the mother of six children, four of whom had died previous to this time; those living are Nelson and Elvira M., wife of E. C. Blake. Mr. Mathews was married a second time September 13, 1884, to Mary M. P., widow of S. H. Kriddlebaugh, M. D. They have a pleasant home on Thomas Avenue and Pear Street, and are passing down the "river of time" peacefully and tranquilly. Mrs. Mathews is connected with the Presbyterian Church, while her husband clings to the faith of his youth. He is the clerk of the district of the Reorganized Church. He assisted in making the first survey of Mills County, and in 1852 he took up a claim where the city of Red Oak now stands; he was, in many ways, connected with the early settlement of the southwestern part of the State.   He has [page 543] a vivid recollection of may interesting experiences of early years, and is an exceedingly entertaining talker.


ELISHA CHARLES WHITING, M. D., fill is well known as one of Shenandoah's most skillful and popular physicians. For a number of years he has labored to relieve the sufferings of mankind and repel the destroyer death, and his ministrations have met with an unusual degree of success. He was born in Caldwell County, Missouri, July 14, 1838, and is a son of Charles and Maria (Hurlbert) Whiting, natives of Vermont and Massachusetts respectively. When he was about three years old they removed to Schuyler County, Illinois, where the father died two years later. The family then removed to Hancock County, Illinois. The mother was a believer in the Mormon faith and joined the great body of Mormons in 1846 to seek a home in the far West. After months of waiting and disappointment she was taken ill and died near the present site of Council Bluffs. She left three young children dependent upon their own efforts: Cordelia, Martha Jane and Elisha. Soon after the death of their mother the children were separated, going in different familes. Elisha went with a Mormon family of the name of Snyder to St. Joe, Missouri. The following year this family joined the great company journeying to Salt Lake, but Elisha decided to remain in Mills County, where both his sisters were living. Thrown upon his own resources at eleven years of age he found rough sailing, but he worked at anything likely to turn an honest penny, and finally learned the chair-makers' trade and worked in a shop for four years.
While engaged in this occupation he began to read medicine; at an early age he conceived the idea of being a physician, and the more familiar he became with the subject the more determined he was to master it. He entered the office of Dr. William Hamilton at Hamburg and remained with him until 1864. He then located at Red Oak, Iowa, and entered into active practice. He went to Minnesota the following year, thence to Boone, and again returned to Hamburg. Realizing the need of a more thorough knowledge of his profession he entered the Eclectic Medical College of Cincinnati, and was graduated in the class of 1867. He returned to Iowa and located at Bartlett, where he built up a satisfactory practice, but in the fall of 1876 he concluded that Shenandoah offered a more inviting field and so removed to that place.
Probably no professional man in Page County has more friends or stands higher in the estimation of the public than does Dr. Whiting. The partnership existing between him and Dr. Sutton dates from 1887, and in Dr. Sutton he has found an agreeable associate, a safe counsellor, a warm friend and an earnest supporter. The Doctor is a member of the State Medical Association and has a favorable and extended reputation among the profession. He is a lover of his home, where he is surrounded by his valuable library and enjoys the society of his estimable wife and daughter. He was married January 22, 1871, at St. Joe, Missouri, to Miss Lucy J., a daughter of Payton Seamands, Esq., who was born April 7, 1801. One daughter, Essie Luella, was born to them, November 14, 1871.
Politically the Doctor is identified with the Democratic party, and is an able and earnest supporter of Democratic principles. He is a genial companion, and his social traits are displayed to advantage in his connection with [page 544] the Masonic brethren; he is a member of Bruce Commandery of Red Oak, and is also identified with the Knights of Pythias.


ROBERT SUTTON, M. D.—The character of any community is largely the result of the influence exerted upon the public mind by the personality of the professional men. No man possesses in a more eminent degree the capacity of making lasting impressions upon the public than Dr. Robert Sutton. With strong individuality and natural ability, enforced by a thorough education, he carries an influence for good in his every word and action. He was born at Wingate Grange, Durhamshire, England, March 26, 1842, and is the son of Robert . and Martha (Reay) Sutton, natives of the same county. His father was a minister in the Primitive Church, now Methodist Protestant, and began to preach at the early age of sixteen years. Two years after Robert's birth they came to America and settled in Wisconsin, where they remained two years, returning at the end of that time to England. Being dissatisfied with their old home they again came to the United States, stopping at Pittsburg, Pennsylvania. While there the father was engaged in preaching, and in 1856 he was sent to Chicago as an evangelist. After a few years' active ministerial work he located at La Harpe, Illinois. While there he suffered the loss of his eyesight, which was afterward restored to him. In 1860 he removed to Pittsburg, and thence to Waynesburgh, where he and his wife are passing their declining years. They are the parents of eight children, four of whom are living.
When the family removed to Pennsylvania in 1860, Robert remained behind and engaged in teaching school.   When a boy ten years old he had been placed in a school at Fairmont, West Virginia, where he enjoyed superior advantages for three years. When his father removed to Illinois he entered the Northern Illinois University, and acquired a thorough literary education in that institution. While teaching at La Harpe, Illinois, he was a member of the family of Dr. Kirkpatrick, and there became interested in the study of medicine. He decided to make the profession his own, and accordingly entered the medical department of Lind University, Chicago; there he took one course of lectures, and the following year he matriculated in the Eclectic Medical Institute at Cincinnati, Ohio, graduating in the class of 1863. He at once became associated with Dr. Kirkpatrick, with whom he remained till 1885. While a resident of La Harpe Dr. Sutton was intimately connected with various educational institutions. His health becoming impaired from overwork he sought a change of climate and abandoned his profession for a time. He came to Page County, Iowa, and purchased a farm three and a half miles south of Shenandoah, where he was extensively engaged in the breeding of Jersey cattle, early taking the lead in this industry. He now has a herd of thirty thorough-breds of excellent stock.
Having regained his health Dr. Sutton was earnestly solicited to reengage in the practice of his profession, and finally formed a partnership with Dr. Whiting in December, 1887, since when he has devoted his time to the demands of his profession.
Dr. Sutton was united in marriage May 5, 1863, at La Harpe, Illinois, to Miss Sue Gochenour. Her death occurred May 21, 1871, leaving a son, David C, who has the present management of the farm. October 26, 1876, the Doctor was again united in marriage, to Miss Orpha E. Chandler, at Ab-[page 545]ingdon, Illinois. Four sons are the result of this union: Mark, Jesse, Reay and Ward.
The Doctor is a man of pronounced but liberal views and takes advanced ground on all questions of an educational and religious nature. He and his wife are members of the Congregational Church, and he fraternizes with the Masonic brethren, having passed the chairs of the blue lodge and chapter. Politically he is a straight Democrat, standing squarely with his party on all questions.

JOHN H. W. BENNETT.—Probably to this man more is due than to any other in the building up and sustaining of the most important enterprise of Page County. Being a man of broad views aud liberal culture he recognized the great value and influence of a college in any community, and he was one of the first to step to the front and offer assistance when it was needed. In 1883-'84 he expended large sums of money in the erection of suitable dormitories for the convenience and accommodation of students in attendance. His capital thus invested, will not fall short of $12,000, but he was an ardent believer in the future prosperity of the institution, and that his judgment was correct the present success of the college amply testifies. By this investment he became equal owner with Mr. Wilson, who had become heavily involved and soon found a purchaser for his interest in Prof. Croan, a widely known educator, who infused new life into the sluggish veins of the school. The highest expectations have been realized; the attendance of students numbers nearly 1,000, and it has become one of the largest educational institutions west of the Mississippi River. The value of Mr. Bennett's stability and persistence cannot be too much appreciated, nor can too much consideration be accorded him by the citizens of Shenandoah and vicinity. With him " nothing succeeds like success," and he can pass down the remainder of life's pathway feeling a great satisfaction in having done his work so well. He has not abandoned the college to other hands entirely, but retains his boarding halls and gives these his individual attention. More than ordinary interest attaches to the life of such a man, and it is with no little pleasure that we are able to record the principal events of his career.
John Henry Winemiller Bennett was born February 26, 1830, near the junction of the Potomac River with Chesapeake Bay, and is the son of William and Harriet (Winemiller) Bennett, natives of Maryland but of Scotch-English ancestry. The grandfather of William Bennett emigrated from England and settled on the farm, on which John H. W. Bennett was born. When our subject was two years old his father died and his mother was afterwards married to John Bennett, a brother of her first husband, who died in 1852; the mother is now a resident of Baltimore, aged eighty years. John is the oldest of a family of three children of the first marriage, and four children were born of the second union. He remained at home until he was of age and learned the carpenter's trade, at which he worked in various towns in West Virginia until 1855. He then came west and stopped at Dixon, Illinois, where he continued to reside for a quarter of a century, when he removed to Shenandoah. He enlisted August 12, 1862, in the Miami Artillery, and was stationed at Roanoke Island, doing patrol and guard duty for six months; he was mustered out January 25, 1863, but immediately reenlisted at Newbern, N. C.,in the Quartermaster's Department, in which he remained until the close of hostili-[page 546] ties. He had been united in marriage the day before enlisting, August 11, 1862, to Miss Mary E. Uhl, a native of Pennsylvania, and during all those years of struggle he did not once see his wife.
When he first located in Shenandoah, Mr. Bennett was engaged in the lumber business, which he continued five years; since then he has devoted his entire time and attention to the interests of the college. He erected one of the most commodious residences in the place near the Presbyterian church on Clarinda Avenue, and there enjoys the society of his amiable wife and daughter, Grace E.


WILLIAM MELVILLE CROAN, superintendent and  owner of the Western Normal College, Shenandoah, has rapidly advanced to an enviable position in the educational work of Iowa and the Northwest. The Western Normal College is in some respects Iowa's greatest educational factor, and its unparalleled success is the result of the untiring efforts of Mr. Croan, assisted by an able and experienced corps of teachers. Its curriculum is adapted to those young men and women whose finances will not allow them to pursue a classical course, but who are desirous of receiving as much practical benefit as possible. The history of the college will be found in its appropriate chapter, and is well worth the attention of every reader; yet it is impossible in writing a review of the life of Mr. Croan to separate them, the history of one being to a great extent that of the other.
William M. Croan was born in Madison County, Indiana, July 23, 1853, and is the eldest of five children, now living, of a family of eleven. The Croan ancestry is traced to the German Croghan, that family being early settlers of Pennsylvania. His father, Hon. David E. Croan, was an influential member of the Indiana Legislature during the Rebellion and served continuously for a number of terms. He had come to Indiana from Pennsylvania when a young man with his father, John S. Croan. He chose an agricultural life and became one of the most extensive farmers and traders in that section of the state. His death occurred January 31, 1885, at the age of sixty-two years. He was united in marriage to Miss Rebecca Van Pelt, a daughter of Judge Uriah Van Pelt, also a pioneer of Indiana. His widow still survives him and resides at Anderson, Indiana.
Young Croan, after attending the country schools until he was fifteen years old, entered the graded and normal school at Anderson, where he received a fair preparation as a teacher, and at the age of seventeen years he taught his first term. He also attended a part of two years at the Northwestern Christian University (now Butler University), at Irvington, Indiana, and at Indianapolis, where he took a special literary course under President Burgess. He now accepted the principalship of the public schools at Summitville, where he taught successfully the years 1874-'75. The two years following he was principal at Alexandria. During the summer of 1876 he visited the Centennial Exposition and contributed a number of educational articles to various home periodicals. He had been attracted to editorial work, and upon closing his two years' school work at Alexandria he decided to embark upon an editorial venture. He accordingly purchased a half interest in the Anderson Democrat, of which he was business manager for eighteen months; he then became sole proprietor and editor. After a few months he sold an interest in the concern, but retained his position as editor.   To Mr. Croan belongs the credit [page 547] and honor of bringing before the public James Whitcomb Riley, "the Hoosier Poet;" knowing him when he was an obscure sign painter, he recognized in him the native humor and wit which have made him noted, and rendered such encouragement by the publication of immature articles that he soon became to attract attention.
The summer of 1879 Mr. Croan and wife spent in the South, at Huntsville, Alabama; it was about the time of the celebrated exodus of the colored population, of which Mr. Croan made reports for the Associated Press. In the spring of 1881 he was elected superintendent of the Madison County schools, and soon after disposed of his newspaper interests; here he found ample opportunity to display all his ability and generalship; he succeeded after much effort in establishing a uniform course of study for all the schools in the county. The principles of the new education as set forth by Pestalozzi and Froebel found an ardent admirer in him, and he has endeavored to apply them in his work whenever possible.
Mr. Croan was united in marriage October 16, 1878, to Miss Jessie Fremont Myers, who was born at Anderson, Indiana, July 17, 1857; she is a daughter of Samuel and Elizabeth (Cather) Myers, a prominent pioneer family of Indiana. One of the sons, William R. Myers, was for a number of years Secretary of State, as well as Member of Congress.
After serving one term as superintendent Mr. Croan was unanimously re-elected, and was actively engaged in the discharge of his duties when the turn, that is always in the long road, came, and it came through Isaac E. Wilson, an old and valued friend. By request he met him at Valparaiso, Indiana, Thanksgiving day, 1883, where he was informed of the scheme of the Western Normal College.   In January, 1884. Mr. Croan came to Shenandoah and purchased a half interest in the institution; one month later he secured the remainder of the stock, becoming sole proprietor. He resigned his superintendency of the Madison County schools, and came to Shenandoah to take charge of the college here; this was in the winter of 1884. His father's health was failing rapidly, and he leased the school and spent most of the following winter in Indiana.
On his return to Shenandoah he found the school going down so rapidly that he believed that it could exist but a few short months, under the management who had control of it, and as this lease included privilege of second year, he paid them $1,500 to give up their lease.
In August, 1885, he assumed the management of the entire institution, when there was an attendance of sixty-five students. He made radical changes in the faculty and curriculum, and it was soon apparent that a general was in command; from that day to the present time one success has followed another, and the work has reached a magnitude that may be appreciated by a glance at the following facts: in 1885 there was an attendance of sixty five pupils, with property valued at $7,000; in 1889 there is in attendance approximating 1,000 students with property valued at $50,000.
In every effort Prof. Croan has been ably assisted by his estimable wife, whose counsel and untiring devotion have contributed no small share to the success of the college. They have been blessed with three children: David M., Margaret and Katharine. Their hearts were saddened by the death of little Margaret, who passed from earth May 16, 1888, aged four years. Prof. Croan is a member of the Christian Church, and his wife is a member of the Presbyterian Church. He affiliates with the Odd Fellow and Ma- [page 548]sonic brotherhoods, and belongs to the Knights of Honor and the Royal Arcanum.


GEORGE EDWARD TROTTER, the senior member of the grocery firm of Trotter Bros., Shenandoah, was born near Monticello, Lewis County, Missouri, April 2,1846. His parents were George W. and Fancy (Dale) Trotter, natives of Kentucky and pioneers of the northwest part of Missouri. The father was an extensive farmer and stock-dealer; in 1873 he removed to Kirksville, Missouri, where his death occurred ten years later, and where the family still resides. George E. remained on the farm until he was eighteen years of age, and then entered Jones Commercial College, St. Louis, Missouri, where he took a course of study; after leaving school he entered a dry goods store at Canton, where he was a clerk until 1871; he then went to Bement, Illinois, where he found employment for nearly two years, after which he went to Chicago, and was in the service of the Grand Central Clothing House until 1875. He then went into business for himself at Macomb, Illinois forming a partnership with A. E. Major, and conducting the business successfully for two years; he then sold his interest in the store, but remained with the purchasers two years longer.
In June, 1879, Mr. Trotter decided to go farther west, and in company of E. I. Lancey he came to Shenandoah, Iowa, and soon engaged in business. The firm of Trotter & Lancey continued to do a profitable business until 1885, when Mr. Trotter assumed entire control of the concern; in June, 1889, he formed a partnership with his brother, John W. Trotter.
Mr. Trotter was mr.rried July 31, 1873, at Bement, Illinois, to Miss Malinda Augusta Peairs. She was born in Greene County, Illinois, May 7, 1851, and is a daughter of James S. and Malinda (Godwin) Peairs. Her parents are now residents of Shenandoah. He is a refined, cultured gentleman of the " old school," and is now nearing four-score years of age. For twenty-five years he made teaching his profession, and many prominent men of the last quarter of a century owe much to the training and instruction they received in the primitive, log school-house where this venerable schoolmaster wielded the birch. He was born in Alleghany County, Pennsylvania, May 5, 1813, and is the son of Elisha and Mary (Watt) Peairs. The Peairs family settled in Pennsylvania in 1765, on land which has never passed from their possession. Elisha Peairs was a soldier in the war of 1812, and died at Lundy's Lane, aged thirty-eight years. The golden wedding of James S. Peairs and wife was celebrated December, 1889.
John Wesley Trotter, the junior member of the firm of Trotter Bros., was born on a farm in Lewis County, Missouri, February 11, 1853, and remained under the parental roof until he had attained man's estate. He received such educational advantages as were afforded by common schools. Desiring to fit himself to participate in an active business life he entered the Gem City Business College, Quincy, Illinois, from which he was graduated in 1872. After teaching one term of school he became a student in the Missouri State Normal School at Kirksville, from which institution he was graduated in the two-years class in 1875. He taught for a time in Saline County, Missouri, and in March, 1876, he was offered a position as book-keeper in the Kirksville Savings Bank, which situation he held for seven and a half years.   When the Kirksville Mercantile Col-[page 549] lege was established he was offered the principalship in the book-keeping department, which he accepted, and taught for two years with eminent success. Desiring a change of climate he left this institution and removed Bentonville, Arkansas, where he engaged in the manufacture of smoking and chewing tobacco; he conducted this business for four years, at the end of which time he became a resident of Shenandoah and a partner in the firm of Trotter Bros.
Mr. Trotter was united in marriage, August 15, 1878, to Miss Ada Gregg, of Jefferson City, Missouri. She is a daughter of Benjamin S. and Mary (Whitingham) Gregg, and was born near Wheeling, West Virginia, March 30, 1854. Three children are the fruits of this union: Paul, Frank and Bascom. Mr. and Mrs. Trotter are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, and in politics he is strongly imbued with Democratic principles.


SIMON FREUNDLICH, proprietor of the Chicago Clothing Company, located in the Opera House Block, Shenandoah, is a native of Germany, having first seen the light of day in the village of Lachen, January 6, 1854. His father is Martin Freundlich, now a retired merchant of Lachen, and his mother's maiden name was Barbara Loeb. Simon received a classical education in the College of Nierstadt, and upon leaving this institution he at once entered into active mercantile life; he was clerking until he decided to come to America, which he did soon after the Franco-Prussian war, in 1873. His native town was near the scene of the first battle fought.
An elder brother had been in Oswego, New York, for several years, and he at once joined him after a pleasant voyage from Bremen to New York. He entered his brother's store, where he clerked for two years, and then desiring a change of climate he went South and for eight years was employed at Okolona, Mississippi. In 1881 he returned to the North, and for five years resided in Few Hampton, Iowa; thence in 1886 he removed to Bloomfield where he opened business on his own account. He did a successful business at Bloomiield for three years, when he became desirous of making a change; he took a hasty look at Shenandoah and observing the activity and prosperity of the place lost no time in making arrangements for removal to this place. September 23, 1889, he opened an elegant line of clothing, hats, caps, trunks, and valises, and carries a stock that will not fall short of $18,000. His many years of experience enable him to display these goods in a most effective way, and his honorable and fair dealings will win for him many customers which he will readily hold by a continuance of the same principles. He is ably assisted by the well-known and popular salesman, Frank W. Hathaway, whose friends are legion.
Mr. Freundlich has already attained a popularity in the business circles of Shenandoah. He is unmarried and is a member of the Masonic brotherhood, having passed the blue lodge and chapter, and is a prominent Knight of Pythias.


FRANK ANSHUTZ, jeweler and music dealer, was born in Moundsville, Marshall County, West Virginia, February 23, 1852. His parents were Christ and Rebecca (Woodwell) Anshutz, the father being a native of Germany; he came to the United [page 550] States at the age of sixteen years and was married in the city of Pittsburg; he was a miller and cabinet-maker by trade, and owned and operated a grist-mill at Moundsville, where he died when Frank was but two years old. He left four children by a former marriage, and there were nine children by the second marriage. Frank remained with his mother until he was sixteen years old, when he came to Des Moines, Iowa, where he had a sister living; he attended the high school for some time and then entered the jewelry establishment of Plumb Brothers and learned the silversmith's trade. He remained with this firm over two years and then engaged with the firm of H. C. Shepard & Co., of Philadelphia, with whom he continued one year. After spending nearly a year in Allegheny City he returned to Des Moines and after one month he started into business at Mitchellville, Iowa. He staid there five years and then for three years he did business at Glenwood, Iowa; thence he came to Shenandoah in 1883.
In the beginning of his business career in Shenandoah the stock required was comparatively small; but as the demands increased he met them with an excellent supply of the best goods in his line; he now carries a choice lot of jewelry, watches, clocks, silverware and musical instruments. This stock is displayed to fine advantage in one of the best store-rooms in the town and presents as attractive an appearance as any stock in the county.
Mr. Anshutz was united in marriage August 13, 1881, to Miss Sarah Blake, a daughter of John and Miranda (Parker) Blake. She was born in Pecatonica, Illinois, August 3, 1859. They have a cheerful home on University avenue, where they take much pleasure in entertaining their friends.
Mr. Anshutz is a Republican, politically, and has firm convictions upon all public questions, but being of a retiring disposition he has never sought public office; he is thoroughly fitted for such duties and has frequently been urged to allow his name to be used.

JOSIAH NEEDHAM, the senior member of the progressive and popular clothing house of Needham & Mell, Shenandoah. The present firm has existed for eight years, having been established April 1,1882. The location could not be improved, being the central and most popular corner in town. The store building is owned by the firm and is a spacious edifice 20 x 70 feet. In the beginning of their business they carried about one-third of the stock demanded by their present trade; as business increased they have added to their stock until it would require $10,000 to cover the amount of goods on hand. The amount of business done by this firm is remarkable considering the fact that other towns have sprung up in the territory formerly tributary to Shenandoah.
Josiah Needham, whose history is under review, was born in Clinton County, Indiana, November 3, 1851, and is the third of a family of eight children of John and Mary (Winslow) Needham. His grandfather, Isaac Needham, was a pioneer of Indiana. His oldest brother, Marion E., lives at Carson, Iowa; the oldest sister, Susan, is the wife of David Wiles; Jerome is a photographer at Chariton; Robert is in the B. & L. department store at Des Moines; Oliver is a merchant at St. Joe, Missouri; Maggie is a tailoress at Shenandoah, and Etta remains at home in Indianola, Iowa. The family came to Iowa when Josiah was a child and settled in Union County, [page 551] where he grew to maturity, receiving his education in the district school. In his youth he began clerking at Afton, Union County, where he remained until his twenty-fifth year. He began business for himself at Mt. Ayr in 1879, and after a very successful career there he came to Shenandoah in 1882.
Mr. Needham was married at Afton, Iowa, December 31, 1879, to Miss Laura A. Mell, who was born in Summit County, Ohio, April 19, 1858. One child, Earl D., born January 7, 1881, blesses this union.
Both Mr. and Mrs. Needham are prominently connected with the Methodist Episcopal Church and are active workers in all religious matters. For some years Mr. Needham has been and is at present superintendent of the Sabbath-school; he is a man of strong social inclinations and has hosts of warm friends: he is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows.