Biographical History of Page County, Iowa, Lewis & Dunbar Publishers, 113 Adams Street, Chicago, Illinois, 1890

[transcribed by Pat O'Dell: ]

[page 758]
CHRISTEY LINEBAUGH was born in the State of Tennessee, where he spent his early life on a farm. He was married to Peggy Simpson, and from this union two children were born: John, who died in Colorado, and Harvey, the subject of this sketch. The mother died when Harvey was quite young, and the father was again married. In December, 1853, he removed with his family to Page County, Iowa, and after a sojourn of two years passed to the other life.
Harvey Linebaugh was born in Fountain County, Indiana, August 5, 1835, where he lived during childhood and youth. The country was very new and there were few schools, so that his educational advantages were limited. He was early in life thrown upon his own resources, and was compelled to pick up a bit of information here and there as opportunity offered.
Since coming to Iowa Mr. Linebaugh has [page 759] lived a greater portion of the time in Page County. In 1860 he purchased a tract of 120 acres in East River Township1; this transaction was a partnership affair, and he soon after disposed of his interest. He then bought eighty acres on which he lived for two years, after which he spent two years on a rented farm in Taylor County. On his return to Page County he invested in the land on which he now lives; there were then eighty acres in the tract, but he has since added forty acres to his original purchase. He has excellent improvements and has labored to secure a comfortable home. His business interests are confined to farming and stock-raising, in which he has been successful. In politics he affiliates with the Democratic party, and in his own township has held the offices of school director and road supervisor.
November 6, 1860, Mr. Linebangh was married to Miss Hannah Cunning, who was born in the State of Ohio, in August, 1834. They are the parents of six children: Edward, deceased; Amos, Sarah, wife of J. B. Foster; Jacob, deceased; Charles, deceased, and Clarence, deceased.
Mr. and Mrs. Linebaugh are worthy members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.


NATHAN C. MARTIN is a member of an old English family that settled in Maryland at a period long before the Revolutionary war. The maternal grandfather was a Corell, a farmer by occupation and a man of considerable wealth; he was a slave-owner. The paternal grandfather lived on a farm in Maryland near Mr. Corell. His son, Jacob Martin, was a weaver by trade. He married Elizabeth Corell, and to them were born nine children: Rudolphus, David, John, Elisha, Jacob, Samuel, Nathan C., Esther and Elizabeth. Mr. Martin was a citizen of Greencastle, Pennsylvania, for many years, and in 1835 he removed to Ohio and settled in Canton, or rather near that place on a farm. There he died in 1850. He was a member of the Presbyterian Church, and an industrious, kind-hearted man, delighting to assist any in need of help. His wife was an intelligent woman of good business qualifications.
Nathan C. Martin, who forms the subject of this brief biography, was born in Greencastle, Pennsylvania, in 1818, and in his youth he learned the wagon-maker's trade, and also that of a carpenter and joiner, the latter having been his occupation through the most of his life. In 1835 he removed to Stark County, Ohio, where he engaged in work at his trade. September 23, 1841, he was united in marriage to Margaret Kritzer, a daughter of Jacob and Elizabeth (Anderson) Kritzer. Mrs. Martin's father was a native of Germany, and a carpenter by trade. She was but eight years of age when the family emigrated to America and settled in Ohio. She was born in Wurtemberg, Germany, July 24, 1820. Mr. and Mrs. Martin are the parents of eight children: Justis W., Benjamin F., Nathan A. J., George W., John H., Elizabeth A., Margaretta and Lydia J.
Two years after his marriage Mr. Martin removed to Richland County, Ohio, and resided there until 1851; he then went to Knox County, Illinois, and at the end of one year he moved to Warren County, Illinois. In 1857 he came to Page Gounty, Iowa, and settled on a farm in Buchanan Township, on which he lived nine years; he then came to. his present farm, which consists of 210 acres of fine land in an advanced state of cultivavation. Politically he has always been identified with the Republican party; the people of his township have called him to represent [page 760] them as Supervisor and as Justice of the Peace for several years; he has taken an active interest in educational affairs and has served as school director. He has been a patriot, loyal citizen, and two of his sons served in the Union army, Justis W. and Benjamin F. He has been a hard-working, industrious, citizen, and enjoys the esteem of a wide circle of acquaintance.


CHARLES W. MORGAN, the fourth child of Joshua and Elizabeth Morgan, was born at Dixon, Illinois, March 21, 1845, and grew to manhood in his native county. He received his education in the common schools, and at the age of eighteen years enlisted in the service of his country, entering the Thirty-fourth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, Company D. He served from February 3, 1864, until July 12, 1865, receiving his discharge at Louisville, Kentucky. He was with General Sherman on his famous march through Georgia, and participated in many engagements, the principal ones being Ringgold, Resaca, Buzzard Roost, Rome, Kenesaw Mountain, Peach-tree Creek and Atlanta. Prior to his enlistment he had been in the service as a hundred-day man, serving in 1863.
After the declaration of peace he returned to his home, and entered school at Princeton, where he continued for two terms. He then engaged in farming until 1871, when he came to Iowa with his brother, S. D. Morgan; they settled in East River Township, Page County, on a tract of 280 acres of raw prairie land; there they farmed in partnership until 1874, when they made a division of their real estate, Charles W. taking the northwest quarter of section 34.
It is scarcely possible to realize the privations and hardships endured by the early settlers of the western frontier; but there were some sturdy souls who went to work with a will and determination of accomplishing something, and they have won their reward in finely improved farms and homes in which they have all the comforts of a modern civilization.
Mr. Morgan is one of the representative farmers, and has won an enviable position in the community. Politically he affiliates with the Republican party. He is a member of Warren Post, No. 11, G. A. R.
February 1, 1877, Mr. Morgan was married to Miss Sarah J. Snodgrass, a daughter of Robert and Nancy Snodgrass, natives of Indiana. Mrs. Morgan was born in Page County, Iowa, December 14, 1854. Five children have been born of this union: Gracie was born March 6, 1878, and died June 5, 1880; Florence was born January 31, 1880; Sidney was born October 6, 1881; Blanch was born February 12, 1885, and Lawrence was born January 31,1889.


ANDREW P. SEABLOM, one of the reliable Swedish farmers of Page County, has largely assisted in this development and growth. He was born in Ostergotland, Sweden, September 9, 1851. When he was but fifteen years of age his father, John Seablom, emigrated to America (see sketch of Anton E. Seablom). The family came to Jefferson County, Iowa, and Andrew assisted on his father's farm until he had reached his majority, when he removed to Page County. The father also came to Page County, and bought a farm in Tarkio Township. Andrew purchased eighty acres of wild land in Tarkio Township, which he partly improved, adding as his means permitted eighty acres more. [page 761] August 2, 1877, he was united in marriage to Ella C. Auderson, daughter of Andrew J. and Louisa O. (Johnson) Anderson. Mr. Anderson was born in Sweden in 1825, and lived there until he was about twenty-three years of age; he then came to America, and was one of the first to cross the plains in the great gold excitement of 1849. He joined a caravan which was attacked and robbed by the Indians; they also suffered incredible hardships before they reached any help, being days without water. They experienced the terrible delusion of seeing lakes just ahead of them, being undeceived when the spot was reached. Finally they came upon a small spring, where they lay down and lapped the water like dogs; their tongues were parched and swollen and protuded from their mouths. When they reached California Mr. Anderson met with some success in his search for gold. He returned by the Isthmus of Panama to Iowa. In 1852 he was married, in Fairfield, Iowa, and went to Chariton, Lucas County, Iowa, where he entered land among the first settlers. When the gold fever of Pike's Peak broke out he again crossed the plains, returning at the end of three years to his wife and four children whom he had left behind; he lived on his farm until his death, which occured when he was but forty-six years of age. He left a widow and six children: Albert H., Mary I., Ella C, Laura, deceased, Andrew J., and Sarah A., deceased. Mr. Anderson was an honorable, respected citizen, and also a consistent member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. His wife survived until sixty-four years of age.
Mr. Seablom after his marriage brought his young wife to his homestead, where they both worked with great patience and courage to establish for themselves a home. They converted their land from the wild state in which nature and the red man had left it into a fertile farm. After six years' residence there they removed to their present farm of 160 acres; it was but little improved, but they have treated it with the same skill and industry that they did their former place, and now have a comfortable home. They have but two children living: Aaron C. and Elsie E. Charles S. died in infancy. Mr. and Mrs. Seablom are members of the Free Methodist Church of which Mr. Seablom has been a trustee for three years. He was formerly a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church and has served as trustee three years. In politics he has until recently voted with the Republican party, but is now a radical Prohibitionist. He is a man of broad public spirit and a love for his fellowmen, receiving the confidence of the entire community,


OLAF P. PETERSON, one of the prominent Swedish agriculturists of Page County, has been identified with its history since 1875. He was born July 26, 1840, in Blekinga, Sweden, and is a son of Peter Peterson, a farmer by occupation and an honored member of the Lutheran Church, He died in Sweden at the age of fifty-one years; his wife died when Olaf was two and a half years of age. He was a man of good habits and irreproachable character. The family consisted of seven children: Swan, John, Kjersta, Neils, Hannah, Olaf P. and Benjamin; they inherited 1,000 crowns from, their father's estate. Olaf was twenty-four years of age when he landed in Quebec, Canada; he proceeded at once to Chicago, and continued his journey to Knoxville, Illinois, where his brother, Swan, was living. This was in 1864; he began working on a farm, but in the fall of the some year he went to Tennessee and took a Government position, [page 762] which he held for nine months, returning at the end of that period to Knoxville; he then engaged in teaming, which he followed eight months.
On April 20, 1866, Mr. Peterson was married to Sarah C. Nelson, daughter of Charles and Hannah (Engmerson) Nelson, who had emigrated from Sweden to America with their family in 1852; the father died in 1854; and the mother married again, and still lives in Knoxville, Tennessee; her second husband was Peter Holcombe, and he served in the civil war, dying from a disease contracted during that time.
Mr. and Mrs. Peterson are the parents of ten children: Charles H., John A., Hannah M., George W., Lena D., Nellie E., Emma J., Anton L., Bertha E. and Grover A. After his marriage Mr. Peterson came to Iowa, and bought land in Webster County, on which he lived seven and a half years; he then returned to Knoxville, Illinois, but in two years came back to Iowa, settling this time in Page County on his present farm, which consists of 160 acres of land of excellent quality. Mr. and Mrs. Peterson have been very prosperous since coming to this country, and have become so thoroughly identified with American ways and manners that their native land is but a memory to them. They have educated their children in our public schools and other educational institutions until they too are entirely Americanized in all their ideas.
Mr. Peterson is a self-made man and an intelligent and trusted citizen; he has served his township in the capacity of school director, and has the entire confidence of all who know him. He and his wife are consistent members of the Mission Church, and have assisted liberally in its building and support. He served as trustee, of the church in Webster County.   He has brought up his children according to the teaching of the Christian religion, by which he has always endeavored to live. He has been industrious and frugal, and has secured a comfortable and pleasant home for his family. His daughter, Hannah M., married August Skalburg, and has one child, Harry A.; Charles H. married Theckla W. Falk, daughter of C. A. Falk, deceased.
While Mr. Peterson was in the employ of the Government in Tennessee he met with a most painful accident which nearly lost him his life, and from which he still suffers; he was cleaning a large water-tank, which was entered by a large steam pipe; the engineer, not knowing he was there or else forgetting him, turned on the steam, and before he could get out the tank was filled with steam. He was finally rescued, but not until the doctor thought it impossible for him to recover. But in six weeks' time he was able to be out again, although he has never entirely recovered from the effects of the injury. He receives no pension from the government. The other hands who attempted to rescue him were badly scalded.


JOHN W. SIMMONS, one of the substantial farmers of Pierce Township, has been prominently identified with the agricultural interests of Page County sinee 1875. His grandfather, John Simmons, was of German descent, and an early settler on the James River, Virginia. He married Rosana Krautyer, and she became the mother of five children: Antony, Christopher, Joseph, Benjamin and Susan. Mr. Simmons served through the latter part of the Revolutionary war, and was also a soldier in the war of 1812. He lived to be nearly 100 years old. He was a farmer in good circumstances, and owned a large flouring mill.   His son, Ben-[page 763] jamin K., the father of our subject, was born and reared on a farm in Virginia. He married Sarah Summerfield, daughter of an old Revolutionary soldier, John Summerfield. Mr. and Mrs. Simmons had born to them five children: John W., Simon K., Rosanna, Agnes and Leonard R. In 1851 Mr. Simmons came to Cass County, Illinois, and settled on a farm, where he passed the remainder of his days. He was a hard-working, industrious man, enjoying the confidence of all who know him.
John W. Simmons, the son of Benjamin and Sarah (Summerfield) Simmons, was born July 3, 1830, in the State of Virginia. He was educated in the common schools and early learned the principles of husbandry.   At the age of twenty-one years he came with his father's family to Illinois.   March 10, 1852, he was united in marriage to Susanna Carper, and of this union have been born eight children: La Fayette, John M., Martha J., Mary E., Jacob L., Benjamin F., Alfred M., and William A.   After his marriage Mr. Simmons lived on a rented farm for a while, and then purchased 160 acres, where he made his home until 1863; in that year he moved to Nebraska, and at the end of three years he went to Barton County, Missouri.   After a few months he moved to Nemaha County, Nebraska, and in 1873 he came to Atchison County, Missouri.   At the end of two years he removed to Page County, and settled on the land which he had previously purchased. He has converted this land into a most desir­able farm, and has made many valuable improvements.
In political thought and action our esteemed subject sallied with the Democratic party. He is a typical western pioneer, standing six feet, four and a half inches, and tipping the beam at 200 pounds. He has done his part in opening up the frontier, and preparing the way for the pace of civilization and progress which the present generation now enjoys. His father was also of fine physique, measuring six feet, six inches, and wishing 225 pounds.
Martha S. Simmons married Robert Knox, and they had one child, Eva T. Mr. Knox died and she was married a second time to Freeman Wilber, deceased: La Fayette married Mary A. Smith, and they have two children, Leroy and Ida M.; John M. married Amanda Ford, and they are the parents of four children: Charles M., Cleveland J., Benjamin and Amanda A.; Jacob married Louisa Ford, and they have had born to them three children: Edgar G., Arthur L. and Bonnie; Benjamin married Lulu Gilmore, and they have one child, Fannie E.

CHARLES A. MELIN, one of the prosperous Swedish farmers of Pierce Township, has been a resident of Page County since 1876. His father's name was John Gabrielson, and according to the Swedish custom his name would have been Johnson; but upon coming to America he found the name Johnson belonging to so many families that he decided to adopt one with more individualty; he therefore chose the name he now bears, Melin. John Gabrielson was a farmer in Smolen, Sweden, owning his land and in comfortable circumstances. He owned other property and was considered a wealthy man, but by becoming security for others he lost a considerable amount of money. He married Lena Swanson, daughter of Swan Peterson, and they became the parents of seven children: John P., deceased; Carrie, Swan M., Johannie, Andrew M.,deceased; Charles A. and Christiana. The parents were members of the Swedish Lutheran Church, of [page 764] which Mr. Gabrielson was a deacon. He died in Sweden, at the age of seventy-six years, honored and respected by all who knew him.
Charles A. Melin was born in Sweden, July 28, 1843, and received the common-school education afforded in that country. He was reared to the occupation of a farmer, and remained under the parental roof until he was twenty-six years of age. Believing that America offered many inducements to young men of ambition, he decided to emigrate: he landed at Castle Garden, New York city, and came directly to Illinois and settled at Swedonia, Mercer County. He resided in this neighborhood and the adjoining county of Henry for a period of six years, first as a farm laborer, and then as a renter.
October 1, 1870, Mr. Melin was united in marriage to Miss Christiana Carlson, daughter of Carl and Mary (Hanson) Scalberg. Mr. and Mrs Scalberg were the parents of five children, of whom Christiana was the oldest; the father died in Sweden, and the mother came to America after his death, and is still living.
As before stated, Mr. Melin has been a resident of Page County since 1876; his first farm was in Pierce Township, about two miles from his present home; he lived there six years and then purchased 160 acres, to which he has added another eighty acres.
Mr. and Mrs. Melin have had born to them four children: Anna M., John A. and Frank C, twins, and Hilma M. The mother died in 1877, and Mr. Melin was married in March, 1881, to Mrs. Johanna Swan, widow of Johanis Swanson, and daughter of Swan Neilson. Mrs. Melin had six children by her former marriage: Lottie, Silma, Frank, Josie, Lina and Gust; all these children were born in Sweden, and came to America with their mother in 1879. Mr. and Mrs. Melin are members of the  Methodist Episcopal
Church, of which Mr. Melin is both treasurer and trustee. He is a devoted Christian and is striving to bring up his children in the belief and practice of Christian principles. He has been an industrious, energetic worker, and needs in no way be ashamed of the results he has accomplished. The Swedish settlers in Iowa are a great credit to their nationality and a valuable accession to the State, and their descendants may take satisfaction in their ancestors.



CHARLES HYLT is one of the many Swedish farmers in America who have made safe and rapid progress since coming to this country. His father, Gustav Hylt, was a stockman in Sweden, and reared a family of seven children: Charles, John, Josephine, Augusta, Annie, Lottie and Matilda. Mr. Hylt was a man of high morality and integrity, and a consistent member of the Lutheran Church. His son, Charles Hylt, the subject of this notice, was born in Smolen, Sweden, June 8, 1849, and received a limited education in the common schools of that country. At the age of nineteen years he bade farewell to home and friends and native land, and sailed away to America. After landing on our hospitable shores he continued his journey to Moline, Illinois, where he remained one year working on a farm. He then went to Henry County, Illinois, and resided there one year. In 1870 he came to Page County, and secured employment on a farm; he continued to work in this way until 1875, when he procured a team of horses and began the cultivation of a tract of land which he had bought in 1873; it is located in section 18, Pierce Township, and was then entirely without improvements; [page 765] there were no bridges in that neighborhood, and the settlements were few and far apart.
Mr. Hylt was married September 16, 1878, to Miss Matilda Carlson, a daughter of C. M. Carlson, who emigrated to America from Sweden, and settled in Page County, where he still resides. Mr. and Mrs. Hylt are the parents of four children: John, Martin, Lillie and Emma. Mr. Hylt improved the first farm on which he settled, placing it under good cultivation and erecting comfortable, substantial buildings. In 1884 he came to his present farm, which consists of 160 acres of as fine land as can be found within the limits of Page County; he has built a line barn, and has added many modern conveniences. He may well be called a benefactor to his county, subduing the wild land and aiding the progress of civilization.
Mr. and Mrs. Hylt are members of the Swedish Lutheran Church, of which Mr. Hylt has been a trustee. The Swedish people possess in a marked degree the virtues which make valuable American citizens, being almost to a man industrious and thoroughly reliable. When Mr. Hylt came to this country he was a poor boy without capital, except that which he carried in a strong determination to succeed, and he has through his own efforts become one of the most substantial farmers of Page County. He is the founder of a new family in America, and it is fitting that a record of his life should be preserved for the coming generations.

TROJAN PALMER, one of the original settlers of Pierce Township, was born in Richland County, Ohio, October 10, 1826. His grandfather, Ephraim Palmer, was born in Pennsylvania, and was of German origin; his father, Matthew Palmer, was also a native of the "Keystone" State, and a farmer by occupation. He removed to Ohio prior to 1812, and fought under General Harrison in the Indian battles. All of his brothers were lost in the War. He was married in Ohio to Elizabeth Grubaugh, a native of Germany, and nine children were born of this union: Harrison, Perry, Martha, Mary, Trojan, Margaret, Matthew, Malinda and Andrew J. The father owned a farm in Richland County, Ohio, and lived there until his death, which occurred when he was sixty-five years of age. He was an honest, upright man, and was well educated for that day, and was a school teacher in his early life.
Trojan Palmer, his son and the subject of this sketch, received but limited advantages in school, but by reading and study at home he became a well informed man; he has continued the habits thus formed in his youth with much profit to himself and his friends. He remained with his father until he was twenty-one years old, and was then married, August 23, 1847, to Miss Mary Fisher, a daughter of Justus and Eliza (Hall) Fisher. Mr. Fisher was a pioneer farmer of Richland County, Ohio, and a man of excellent habits and good business qualifications.
Mr. and Mrs. Palmer are the parents of six children who have lived to maturity: Elmira, Matthew, Elzina, Laura, Ezra and Emma J. After his marriage Mr. Palmer lived in Richland County, Ohio, seven years. In 1854 he removed to Linn County, Iowa, the tide of emigration moving strongly in that direction; he lived there until 1866, and then went to Mercer County, Missouri, where he resided four years. In 1870 we find him located in Lucas County, Iowa, and six years later he came to Page County, Iowa, and again settled on wild land. When Mr. Palmer settled in Linn County, in 1854, the land was raw prairie, and the Indians were numer-[page 766]ous; they were, however, friendly and peaceable and frequently accepted his hospitality. His present farm consists of 120 acres, which he has placed under good cultivation. It is always a pleasure to record the history of those sturdy pioneers who have made the great West what it is to-day, a land of peace and plenty.
Mr. and Mrs. Palmer are both members of the Baptist Church. Mr. Palmer has been a deacon of the church since 1856, and he is a most devoted member. He has taken an active interest in educational matters and has served his district as school director. When a resident of Linn County the people attested their confidence in him by electing him to the office of Sheriff which he held four years. He has always been a man of high moral character, and has attempted to live a life according to the Golden Rule.
Elmira Palmer is the wife of Robert Ray, and the mother of seven children: Matthew married Ada M. Waits, and they have four children; Laura is the wife of Michael Delapant, and they have had borm to them three children; Elzina married John Rush, and has two children; Emma J. is the wife of John Higginbotham, and two children have been born of this union; Ezra married Allie Wox.


FRANZ OTTO SEDERQUIST is one of the prominent farmers of Fremont Township, and one of the thrifty Swedish settlers who has made his way by his own untiring energy to a position of financial independence. He was born in Ostergotland, near the city of Skenninge, Sweden, December 3, 1846, and is a son of Gabriel Peterson; on learning his trade he changed his name from Peterson to Sederquist.   Gabriel Peterson was a farmer by occupation, owning his own land, the place being called "Warpliden." He married Christiana Lawson, and to them were born six children: August, Clara M., Gustav A., deceased; Louisa C, Pher Anton, and Franz Otto. The parents were both devoted members of the Swedish Lutheran Church. The father died in Sweden, at the age of sixty-four years; his wife lived to the great age of eighty-five years.
Franz Otto Sederquist, the son of Gabriel and Christiana (Lawson) Peterson, received a limited education in the common schools of his native land, and he learned the trades of painting and harness making. At the age of seventeen years he bade farewell to his native land and sailed away to America; he took passage on a sailing vessel, and was on the ocean nine weeks and three days; he landed in the city of Boston, and proceeded at once to Swedonia, Mercer County, Illinois. There he secured employment on a farm, but soon began working at his trade, painting in the summer, and making harness during the winter. He remained in Illinois until 1872, when he came to Montgomery County, Iowa; he purchased eighty acres of land which he cultivated two years.
Mr. Sederquist was united in marriage December 31, 1873, to Carrie L. Hart, a daughter of J. M. Hart, now a resident of Page County. Mr. Hart emigrated to America, from Stockaryd Smaland, with his family, in 1868, and settled at Andover, Illinois. His wife's maiden name was Annie Johnson, and they were both natives of Sweden. She died in 1875 at the age of sixty-five years. They were the parents of seven children: John deceased; Johanis, Swan, Carl, Matilda, Carrie L., and Louisa, deceased. The entire family came to America, and are now comfortably established on farms of their own.
Mr. and Mrs. Sederquist are the parents of [page 767] seven children: Albert W., who died at the age of six months; Emma L., Henry W., Hnldah M., Annie A., Emellia Laura L., Carl A. and Albert E.
In 1875 our worth subject came to his present farm of 160 acres; it was then wild prairie, but he has changed the aspect of the surroundings, and everything bespeaks the thrift and prosperity characteristic of the Swedish farmer. As his means increased he invested in more land, until his farm now covers 240 acres. Both Mr. and Mrs. Sederquist are consistent members of the Missionary Evangelist Church, and take a deep interest in the cause of religion, contributing largely to the support of the church. Mr. Sederquist has represented the people of his township as school director and road supervisor, performing his duties to the satisfaction of all concerned, and sustaining his reputation as an honorable citizen.


GARRETT R. JONES, one of the substantial and reliable farmers of Pierce Township, next claims our attention in this record of Page County's leading citizens. His ancestors emigrated from Wales at an early day and settled in Pennsylvania. His great-grandfather, Isaiah Joel Jones, was one of a family of five children; one of his sisters married a Breckinridge, an ancestor of John C. Breckenridge, who was at one time a candidate for the presidency on the Democratic ticket, and a first cousin to the grand, father of our subject. Isaiah Joel Jones was a soldier in the Revolutionary war, in which he was wounded, carrying a bullet in his body all his life. In early day he removed to Steuben County, New York, where he was one of the pioneers. He reared a large family, the names of those remembered by the present generation being Bascom, Isaiah, Robert L. H., Llewellyn, Ap Griffith, James, Polly, Jane and Julia A. The mother's maiden name was Jane Bascom. Mr. Jones was a man of considerable wealth, although he lost a great deal of money in his younger days. He was a successful hunter and very fond of the sport. His son Robert L. H. Jones, the grandfather of Garrett R., was born in Lycoming County, Pennsylvania, but removed to Steuben County, New York, where he reared his family; he married Jennie Crawford, and to them were born eleven children: Isaiah J., Llewellyn, Ap Griffith, Margaret A., Robert L. H., Charles, Priscilla, James, Jane, Melvina and Bascom. The father was a captain in the militia in the war of 1812, and stood ready to be called into service, but the summons never came; he lived many years in Steuben County, and when an old man, removed to Jay County, Indiana, in 1838; he bought a small farm but returned to New York many times. After the death of his wife he traveled about a great deal, visiting among his numerous children. He came to Iowa to visit his son Isaiah, at Franklin Grove, in 1876, and died there at the age of eighty-seven years. He was a zealous member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and was a man of upright conduct. He had a fine constitution, his strength having been well developed in early life as a boatman on the Susquehanna River; he was also a pilot on that river. His son Isaiah, the father of Garrett R. Jones, married Annie S. Myers, in Pennsylvania; he was also a pilot on the Susquehanna; he removed to Indiana in 1844, where he lived ten years; he then went to Minnesota and bought a farm of 160 acres, on which he made his home until 1867; in that year he came to Page County, Iowa, passing the remainder of his days here. In 1876 he went to California, but returned at [page 768] the end of eight months; his death occurred May 10,1888, at the age of seventy-four years. He and his wife were consistent members of the Christian Church. When a resident of Minnesota he assisted in the organization of his township and served as supervisor of Page County; he has also represented the people of his township as trustee and assessor. He was always a man of great industry and of excellent character. His wife was born in the city of New York, where her father, Garrett Myers, lived, and was in good circumstances; he owned a fine brick mansion in that city, and was captain of a sloop on the North River; he sold his vessel for $16,000, but he lost it all in law, trying to save his home from destruction by a railroad company that proposed to run the road through the place. He removed to Steuben County, New York, and purchased fourteen hundred acres of pine timbered land; he cleared off the timber, rafting it down the Susquehanna, and had four fine farms there; he became a wealthy man again, but eventually lost all his property; he lived to be eighty-seven years old.
Garrett R. Jones, the subject of this notice, is the son of Isaiah and Anuie S. (Myers) Jones, who was born in Steuben County, New York, April 9, 1835; he was a lad of ten years when his father came to Indiana, where he received the limited education afforded by that country in its pioneer days. He learned the trade of a brick and stone mason, and also the plasterer's trade, which he followed many years. He was married in J ay County, Indiana, in 1858, to Cynthia J. Woten, daughter of John and Mary (Boyles) Woten, and they became the parents of three children: Cora, born in Indiana; Leroy, born in Minnesota, and Mary E., born in Iowa.
In 1861 Mr. Jones removed with his wife and one child to Minuesota and settled on a farm near Granger, where he remained three years. In 1864 he moved to Page County, Iowa, and lived one year in Fremont Township, settling the next year in Franklin Grove, on some land which he owned. By industry and good management he has added to this small beginning until he now has 212 acres, one of the finest farms in Pierce Township. He takes an active interest in the cause of education, and has served as school director, discharging his duties with much ability. He is an honored member of the Masonic lodge at Red Oak, Iowa, No. 162. He has retired from his farm and is now living in Essex, conscious that he has done his share in the developement and settlement of the great West. He stands deservedly high as a citizen, and is a man of excellent reputation.


SULLIVAN BROTHERS & CO., dealers in staple and fancy groceries, Shenandoah.—This firm consists of Charles N. and Joseph T. Sullivan and their mother, Mrs. Susan E. Sullivan, and they are doing a fine business in their line of trade and can be considered one of Shenandoah's progressive firms. The present firm succeeded Y. H. Sullivan & Sons at the death of the senior member, which occurred January 26, 1887.
Virgil Homer Sullivan was born in Jeffer- [sic] County, Indiana, February 1,1837, his father being Joseph S. Sullivan, a native of Kentucky, of Irish ancestry; his great-grandfather emigrated to North Carolina from the Emerald Isle when a boy. Virgil had a brother John in business at Keokuk, and when he was nineteen years old he joined him in that city. For three years he was in the employ of the Keokuk & Burlington Railway, being the first conductor to run from Keokuk to Burlington. After leaving the railroad he embarked, in company with his brother in [page 769] the queensware trade, in which he continued until his marriage. December 24, 1862, he was united in marriage to Miss Susan E. Hedges, a daughter of N. G. and Jane (Titus) Hedges. She was born at Cheviot, a suburb of Cincinnati, Ohio, June 18, 1840.
N. G. Hedges, who is now prominently connected with Shenandoah, for forty years has been identified with Jowa affairs. His first wife, the mother of Mrs. Sullivan, was bom at Titusville, Pennsylvania, of which place her grandfather was the founder and whose name it bears. She died when Susan was four years old. Mr. Hedges was afterward married to Mrs. Margaret Jessup, widow of Dr. Jessup, of Rising Sun, Indiana, and a daughter of Colonel Pepper, of the same place. Mr. Hedges has shown his confidence in Shenandoah's future by erecting during the past year a two-story brick block, which adds materially to the general appearance of the business portion of the town.
Mrs. Sullivan was educated at the Wesleyan Female College at Cincinnati, from which she graduated in 1858, in a class of twenty-nine students. This is one of the oldest female educational institutions chartered in this country, and ranks among the best.
After Mr. and Mrs. Sullivan's marriage they removed to a farm fifteen miles from Keokuk, and were engaged in agricultural pursuits until coming to Shenandoah in 1883. Then, in company with his sons, Mr. Sullivan started the present business. He was a careful, methodical business man of liberal views. He was frequently placed in positions of public trust, and for several years was an influential member of the County Board of Supervisors in Lee County. His family consists of Charles N., Joseph T., Jennie H., Lusette, Albert H. and Pearlie.
Charles N. Sullivan was born on the farm in Lee County, Iowa, January 8, 1863, and after receiving a fair education in the common schools, in 1882 he entered as clerk in the grocery store of his uncle, D. T. Hedges, of Sioux City, with whom he remained until his father had selected Shenandoah as a business location; he has since devoted his time and attention to the demands of the trade. He was joined in wedlock February 27, 1889, to Miss Ida Medley, who was born in Belmont County, Ohio, June 10, 1867. She is a daughter of Joseph and Luvina Medley, and came with her parents to Essex County when sixteen years of age.
Joseph T. Sullivan was also born in Lee County, Iowa, February 5, 1865. He obtained his education in the country school and the Keokuk High School, but his time was principally spent on his father's farm until the present business was started. He is unmarried and lives with his mother in their commodious residence on Church street.
The stock of goods carried by Sullivan Brothers & Co. is a choice line of staple and fancy groceries; their store is in the new Hedges Block, and in many respects ranks among the first institutions of the town. The brothers are accommodating, gentlemanly salesmen, and by close attention to the demands of cus­tomers they have established a profitable and prosperous business. They both have the ring of true metal, and we bespeak for them abundant success in whatever field their inclinations may lead them.


HOWARD & LATIMER, proprietors of the Mt. Arbor Nurseries, Shenandoah.
The Mt. Arbor Nurseries were established in 1875 by T. E. B. Mason, who conducted them for twelve years; January 6, 1887, he was succeeded by the present proprietors, Charles T. Howard and Lemuel B. [page 770] Latimer. From a small concern that required but forty acres of ground this institution has grown to such proportions that 200 acres are occupied by it. Employment is given to twenty-five men in the nursery and office while fifteen salesmen are canvassing; thus thousands of dollars are paid out annually and the establishment is of great benefit to Shenandoah and her citizens.
The annual sale of trees is about 225,000 apple, 15,000 each of plum and cherry, and a specialty is made of osage orange, of which they sow ten bushels of seeds, yielding several millions of plants. Mt. Arbor nursery is widely known as introducing the popular curculio-proof Pottawattamie plum, which is fast becoming the standard plum of the country. The packing grounds of the establishment occupy five acres of choice ground, one block from the Wabash depot, and there are located a dwelling and the office. A fine selection of evergreen trees adorn the place, presenting a very attractive appearance.
The proprietors of this business are live, energetic men, and are making a brilliant success of this institution, and everything indicates a continuance and increase of prosperity and popularity.
The senior member of the firm, Charles T. Howard, was born March 25, 1844, in Warren County, Illinois, and is a son of George W. and Mary A. (Whitten) Howard, natives of Kentucky, and early settlers of Illinois. For several years the parents have resided in Shenandoah. They reared a family of eleven children all who are living: Charles T., Laura A., wife of T. E. B. Mason; John F., Sarah E., Eoline F., wife of William Boydston; Josiah L., Stephen B., George W., Mary L., wife of William Fisher; William H. and Henry W.
Charles T. was reared on his father's farm and remained at home until his marriage, which occurred January 25, 1866; he was united to Miss Clara Day, who was born in Fulton County, Illinois, April 22, 1845. He then began to farm near his father and resided in Warren County until 1870, when he came to Fremont County, Iowa, and settled ten miles from Shenandoah; he has a finely improved farm of 240 acres where he still resides. He has been engaged in feeding cattle and hogs, fattening annually from fifty to 100 head of cattle and a proportionate number of hogs. His family consists of Delia L., Minnie, Edward E., Gertrude, Emma and Stella. The oldest daughter is engaged in teaching and occupies an advanced position in her profession. Death has claimed one of this family for his own: Cora, aged thirteen years, died February 17, 1889.
Mr. Howard is a member of the Masonic brotherhood and is a man of fine qualities of head and heart; he has the confidence of all with whom he comes in contact. Politically he has been identified with the Democratic party, but is not bound by party lines and looks well to the men who ask his suffrage.
Lemuel B. Latimer was born in Abingdon, Illinois, November 15, 1846, and is a son of John C. and Ann (Pierce) Latimer. The father was a native of Tennessee and came to Illinois with his parents when he was eight years old. Lemuel was reared to farm life and in 1870 he came to Page County, settling six miles from Shenandoah, in the neighborhood of two brothers who were living then in Fremont County. He remained on his farm until two years ago, when he came to Shenandoah to assume the management of the nursery just purchased. He resides on the packing grounds and has supervision of all the field work. He is a " rustler " and under his management the nursery presents a face as clean as a city park.
Mr. Latimer was married March 3, 1870, [page 771] to Miss Sarah E. Howard, the fourth child of the Howard family. She was born in Warren County, Illinois, March 5, 1850. They have an interesting family of four girls: Ethel, Edith, Maud and Edna.
Josiah L. Howard is the manager of the nursery and supervises the entire work. He is the sixth of the Howard family and was born January 28, 1854. He has been employed in the Mt. Arbor nursery since 1880, and thoroughly understands every detail of the business; he has made a most acceptable manager and the present prosperity of the concern is in no small degree due to his personal effort and untiring energy. He was married July 4, 1876, to Miss Mary A. McClure, who was born in Indiana February 13, 1854. They have one child: Glenn L., born June 19, 1877.
The efficient book-keeper of this establishment is the youngest of the Howard family, Henry W. Howard. He has entire charge of the books and correspondence, receiving his business training at the Western Normal College. His efficiency as a book-keeper strongly attests the superiority of this home institution.

JEROME BONAPARTE ARMSTRONG was born upon the banks of the Ansaba River in northern New York, July 4, 1832. His father was Dr. Daniel Armstrong, a native of Vermont; he was a physician of the old school and was a graduate of the Middlebury University. His family came from Connecticut where the great-grandfather had settled upon his emigration from Ireland in 1750. His mother was Sarah M. Treadway, also a native of Vermont. Both parents died in Michigan, where they had settled in 1849. Of a family of nine children Jerome B. is the oldest. When he was sixteen years old the family removed to Parma, Michigan, and there he soon entered a dry-goods store, where he was employed six years as salesman. At the expiration of that time he went to Galesburg, Illinois, where he first found employment in a grocery store. About this time, by a special act of the Illinois Legislature, the police court of Galesburg was made a court of original jurisdiction in cases not exceeding $500; and he, being an unusually dextrous penman, was recommended by his employers as clerk. Judge A. C. Wiley was the pre siding officer and in him and the attorney Of the court, J. P. Frost, he found warm supporters. He attended the duties of the court four years, and a part of this time he was clerical Deputy United States Marshal under Captain Pollock, who was also chief of police. Having opportunities to become familiar with legal proceedings he was urged by his friends to enter the profession of law, but he was deterred by what he considered a limited education. He resigned his clerk­ship to accept a position with the Geneva Nurseries, and for two years was their traveling salesmen through eastern Iowa.
Mr. Armstrong was united in marriage July 25, 1860, to Miss Louisa Hoay, at Parma, Michigan. She is a daughter of James and Levissa Hoay. After his marriage he turned his attention to agriculture, but having suffered from sunstroke he was compelled to abandon this industry and return to Parma, Michigan. His eyesight was almost destroyed by the sunstroke, and for two years he was nearly blind. However, in June, 1862, he went to Corunna, Michigan, and engaged in the harness business with an experienced workman named Norman Philips. He learned the trade of this man and continued there in business for eight years. In 1870 he returned to Illinois and settled near [page 772] New Windsor where he opened a shop; the following spring he started for Emporia, Kansas, and came through Page County in making the trip. The beauties of the valley of the Nishna made such an impression upon him that he bought 160 acres of land two and a half miles from Shenandoah, deciding that whatever attractions Kansas might possess they could not excel or surpass those of Page County, Iowa. That same season, 1871, he began to improve his farm, but after he had spent one summer there he returned to New Windsor, and resumed his old business. In 1878 he again came to Shenandoah and opened a shop; he lost everything he possessed in the most disastrous fire in the history of the town. His spirit was not daunted, however, and in thirty-six hours he had another building erected and seven workmen at the bench. In 1887 he opened business at his present stand, where he has a good trade.
Mr. Armstrong devotes but a small portion of his time to the harness business, his inclinations being towards a more active life. He early began to secure Page County real estate, and he has improved several farms, and is even now farming quite extensively. He has one farm near town where he breeds and feeds large numbers of cattle and hogs each year; he also has a farm of 240 acres in Hamilton County, Nebraska, and another valuable tract in Box Butte County. He has one of the most desirable residences in Shenandoah and takes much comfort and delight in his home and family. There have been born to the parents seven children: Carrie, Grace, Orah, Mary, Jerome B., Jr., Carl, and Louisa. Carrie is the wife of Frank Williams; Grace is a graduate of the Western Normal College, and is a teacher at Emerson, Iowa; Orah was also graduated from the college, and has since paid special attention to the study of music, in which she has an unsual talent; she has been a student at the Conservatory in Chicago, and has taught one year at San Saba College, Texas, where she won an enviable reputation as a teacher.
Mr. Armstrong early became a member of the I. O. O. F., and has been an active member, having passed all the chairs. He has given much attention to collecting a cabinet of relies and bric-a-brac; among other things he has a complete collection of all the paper scrip issued by the Government.

CHARLES T. COX, an enterprising citizen of Shambaugh, was born in St. Joe, Missouri, April 28, 1862, and he is the son of Finesse and Christine McLean. When he was five months of acre his father died, and when one year old he was adopted by Mrs. Scholes, of Page County, Iowa; she died when he was seven years old, and William M. McLean was then appointed his guardian; he spent the remainder of his childhood and youth with Mr. McLean. At the age of eighteen years he began to rely wholly upon his own resources, engaging as clerk in a general store in Shambaugh. Being desirous of gaining a better education, after one winter spent in the store, he attended two terms of school at College Springs, and then returned to his former employment. He had shown so much ability and had so improved his opportunities that when he had attained his majority he was able to purchase an interest in the general stock of W. L. McLean, the business being conducted under the firm name of McLean & Cox. These relations remained the same until 1886, when the stock was partially closed out and business was suspended for six months; in the fall of 1886 Mr. Cox assumed full control, and has since carried on the business with marked success; [page 773] he carries a stock of general merchandise, and his annual sales amount to $3,000.
Mr. Cox was appointed Postmaster October 5, 1889. Politically he affiliates with the Republican party. He is one of the most energetic business men of the county, and justly deserves the reputation he has won for wise and careful dealing.
Our subject was united in marriage in September, 1883, to Miss Sarah E. Heideibaugh, a daughter of David and Martha Heideibaugh. Mrs. Cox was born Davis County, Ohio, September 1, 1864. They are the parents of five children: Freddie Rex, deceased; Etfie L., Archie B., deceased; Annie B. and an infant daughter.
Mr. Cox was given the name Cox by his adopted parents.


W. S. LUTTON, the accommodating proprietor of the Park Hotel, combines all the natural qualities of a thorough landlord. Ever courteous and affable he possesses to an eminent degree the tact necessary to make each guest feel at home, and when one departs from under his hospitable roof it is with regret, but pleasant anticipations of returning in the future. In these days, when so many commercial men live exclusively at hotels, one that possesses the advantages of the Park is doubly appreciated and enjoyed. Shenandoah is to be congratulated upon her hotels and upon having such experienced and genial men to conduct them. The Park was opened under its present management in September, 1889. It had experienced .rather rough sailing prior to that time, and required much careful management and business sagacity to retrieve its waning fortunes, but it fell into master hands and the results accomplished in four months are almost beyond belief. It has regained a large part of its commercial trade and affords such accomdations [sic] and attentions to its guests as will make it one of the most popular hotels in southwestern Iowa.
Mr. Lutton has spent all his lifetime in hotels, and knows what the demands cf the public are, and how to meet them with ease and satisfaction. His father is one of the best known landlords in Iowa, and has for years presided over the widely known Park Hotel in Atlantic. W. S. began his career as a landlord in 1885, in the Commercial Hotel at Villisca, where he earned a well merited reputation. He became so popular as a land-lord that the Union Pacific Hotel Company, in seeking a man to put on their extensive lines as cashier, selected Mr. Lutton, and he became their traveling cashier, continuing as such for nearly two years, when he resigned to accept the management of the famous Sayler's Springs Hotel at the health resort of the same name in Illinois. He conducted that during the season of 1887, and added to his already brilliant reputation as a landlord. This is an immense institution of two hundred rooms, and guests must receive the most exacting attentions.
W. S. Lutton was born in Meadville, Pennsylvania, September 18, 1859, his parents being William and Sophia (Corning) Lutton; the father is a native of Scotland and the mother was born in Pennsylvania. His father being in charge of hotels, young Lutton became familiar with every detail of hotel life, but imagined he would like a trade. Accordingly he learned the photographer's art, completing his studies in Boston at one of the fine galleries of that city. However, his health became impaired, and he was forced to abandon this calling and his attention was again directed to the art of pleasing the public by catering to the inner man.   No little [page 774] of the quiet hospitality uf the Park is due to the presence and attention of the landlady, who was Miss Ida May McGogg, a daughter of Isaac McGogg. She and Mr. Sutton were united in marriage June 24, 1885; she has been a resident of Shenandoah for many years, her native State being Indiana. They are the parents of one child, Lois Lucille, who was born August 12, 1888. Both Mr. and Mrs. Lutton are members of the Presbyterian Church, and he is a member of the order of Knights of Pythias.



JACOB HAMM, a native of Germany, was born about the year 1781; he was reared in his native country, and during his youth he learned the blacksmiths' trade, which he followed until the spring of 1826, when he came to America. He settled in Fairfield County, Ohio, and turned his attention to farming. He died after about nine years' residence in this country. He married Mary M. Miller, also a native of Germany. She lived to a good old age, passing away in Page County early in the seventies. The parents were associated with the Lutheran Church. They had a family of eight children: Henry, Jacob, Michael, Magdaline, widow ot John Good; Christian, the subject of this sketch; Frederick, Elizabeth, wife of William  Jaurney, and Catherine, deceased.
Christian, the fifth child, was born in Fairfield County, Ohio, December 1, 1826, aud was reared in his native county, receiving a purely practical education. His mother being left a widow, he assisted in taking care of her by working for wages until he was seventeen years old; then he and one of his brothers rented a small farm, which they cultivated for two or three years.
September 12, 1847, he was married to Elizabeth Heideibaugh, daughter of Jacob and Sarah Heideibaugh, natives of Ohio. Mrs. Hamm was born in Fairfieid County, Ohio, January 27, 1830. After his marriage Mr. Hamm remained three years in Fairfield County and then concluded to try his fortunes in the West; so he removed to Van Buren County, Iowa, and after one winter he bought a farm of eighty acres in Davis County, Iowa; there he lived four years, and then sold out, going to Decatur County, Iowa; there he pre-empted 160 acres of land, which he cultivated four years; he also owned ten acres of timber; but he disposed of all his property and returned to Davis County and purchased seventy acres near his old home; the following live years were spent in improving this place, after which he sold out and removed to East River Township, Page County. This was in September, 1863. He bought 100 acres of partially improved land, and there made his home until March, 1889, when he removed to the village of Shambaugh. He was a resident of East River Township for twenty-six years, and during that time he put forth every effort to improve his own condition, and further the interests of the community. He stands high in the estimation of all who know him, and is in every sense of the word a self-made man. He has always followed agricultural pursuits, and now owns 240 acres of good land in East River Township.
Politically Mr. Hamm is no partisan, but votes for the man he considers best qualified to fill the office. He has represented his township as road supervisor for two years.
Mr. and Mrs. Hamm are the parents of eight children: Catherine, wife of Benjamin Beery; Sarah, wife of John Konkle; Jacob, David, Jesse, William E., Charles, and Ida [page 775] B., wife of Ed. Woodruff. The father and mother are members of the Church of God.