Biographical History of Page County, Iowa, Lewis & Dunbar Publishers, 113 Adams Street, Chicago, Illinois, 1890

by Pat O'Dell:

[page 585]

HENRY KUNKLE, one of the oldest settlers in Amity Township, is deserving of a space in this record of the pioneers of Page County.   His ancestors were natives of Holland; his grandfather, Samuel Kunkle, was a farmer in Bedford County, Pennsylvania, and reared a large family. His son, Michael Kunkle, the father of Henry, was born and reared in Bedford County, Pennsylvania, and married Mary Bulyer; they removed to Ohio, and were the parents of seven children, who lived to maturity: Abraham, Samuel, Isaac, Christina, Henry, Lydia and John.   In 1855 Mr. Kunkle removed to Stephenson County, Illinois, with his family, and in 1857 he came to Page County, Iowa, and settled on the farm north of the one now occupied by his son Henry; here he lived until his death, which occurred in 1877.  He and his wife were both members of the church called Brethren in Christ. They were religions and industrious people, commanding the respect of the entire community. Grandmother Bulyer's ancestors were wealthy Hollanders, and there remains a large fortune for the heirs of that family in Holland.
Henry Kunkle, the son of Michael and Mary (Bulyer) Kunkle, was born in Knox County, Ohio, in 1844. He obtained his education in the common schools of that day, which afforded only limited advantages. He was thirteen years of age when his father removed to Illinois, and he remained under the parental roof until he was twenty-three [page 586] years of age. In September, 1867, he was married to Miss Mahala Beery, daughter of Joseph and Annie (Friezner) Beery. Mr. Beery is a native of Fairfield County, Ohio, born of Swiss ancestry. His father's name was Christian Beery. To Mr. and Mrs. Henry Kunkle have been born five children: Sarah M., James M., Jessie L., Joseph H. and Francis E. The parents are both members of the Church of God, and Mr. Kunkle has served as an elder for several years; he has also been a deacon and is now a trustee of the church. He has been desirous of seeing the cause of education flourish, and has acted as school director. He has been very successful in his business and is the owner of 230 acres of land in an excellent state of cultivation. His reputation for honesty and integrity is untarnished and his word is as good as his bond.
Sarah Kunkle, in 1889, married John G. Hoffman, a farmer of Page County, Iowa; and in 1890 moved to Frontier County, Nebraska.

RANKIN BROTHERS, proprietors of the Shenandoah Pressed Brick and Tile Works. This, one of Page County's most extensive and successful industries, was established in the spring of 1889 by O. T. & F. B. Rankin, and it gives promise of being one of Shenandoah's most beneficial institutions. The first season was a remarkably active and prosperous one. The grounds lying near the town comprise five acres, underlaid with the choicest clay for the purpose required, and upon this tract the firm has expended more than $5,000. There are three large kilns for burning the manufactured product and five 160-feet-long drying sheds, covering a superficial area of 4,000 feet.
The machine used is considered the best made, and has a daily capacity of 16,000. A twenty-five-horse-power Rhandall engine drives the machine. The first kiln of brick was opened May 20, since when fifteen kilns have been burned, amounting to 1,000,000 bricks and 50,000 feet of drain tile. The quality of the product of these yards is the very best, being superior to that of any yards in southwestern Iowa.
The Rankin brothers are both practical bricklayers, and take contracts for placing the brick in the wall, giving the erection of buildings their personal supervision. The season of 1889 they erected the fine dwelling of Mr. Smith, of the firm of Cleveland & Smith, and the cost exceeded frame work but a trifle. They also supplied the bricks in the college annex. They employ from fifteen to thirty men, and several teams, and have proven to be an industry that the town could ill afford to lose.
O. T. Rankin was born in Wheeling, West Virginia, August 18, 1854. F. B. Rankin was born in Kewanee, Illinois, in 1857; they are the sons of William and Eliza (Bailey) Rankin, who were born in Pittsburg, Pennsylvania. The father was a brick mason by trade and both sons became expert workmen. O. T. Rankin has had eleven years experience in the manufacture of brick, and has conducted yards at Kewanee, Illinois; Malvern, Iowa, and Omaha, Nebraska, from which place he came to Shenandoah. This firm succeeds Chris Johnson, with largely increased facilities for manufacturing.
O. T. Rankin was married at Kewanee, Illinois, in 1877, to Miss Anna C. Smaling, a native of Mount Joy, Pennsylvania. They have one child, Fannie May, a little girl of seven years.
F. B. Rankin was married in 1877, to Miss Josephine Godfrey, who was born and reared [page 587] at Toulon, Illinois. They have had born to them two children, Cora, eight years old, and Dessie Maude, one year old. They are members of the Baptist Church.
O. T. Rankin is a member of the I. O. O. F., the K. of P. and the A. F. & A. M. His wife is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.


A.W. HAWLEY, dealer in agricultural implements, wagons and carriages, Blanchard, Iowa, commenced the business in 1884, in company with A. F. Fossett, the partnership existing for three years. The firm was then changed to Hawley & Wetmore; at the end of the first year Mr. Wetmore died and since that time Mr. Hawley has conducted the business alone. His store-room on Main street is 22 x 80 feet, and an adjoining room, 22 x 55 feet, is used for storing carriages and wagons. He does a good business, his annual sales amounting to $25,000, and he stands high in the farming community of which Blanchard is the center.
To inform the reader of Mr. Hawley's earlier life, it may be said that he was born June 14, 1845, in Fulton County, Ohio. His parents, M. and Sarah (Whitmore) Hawley, were natives of the State of New York. When he was fifteen years of age he found employment on the railroad of the Lake Shore Company, and followed this business until 1866, when he came to Colfax Township, Page County, Iowa. He first purchased eighty acres of land, and later 140 acres, and engaged in general farming; he followed this occupation until he came to Blanchard.
Politically Mr. Hawley is identified with the Republican party. He has served ten or twelve years as Justice of the Peace, and has been a member of the school board.   He has always interested himself in educational affairs and done what he could to elevate the public school standard in his township. He is an honored member of State Line Lodge, No 429, I. O. O. F., and has passed all the chairs of the order; he is also a member of the Encampment, and has represented his district at the Grand Lodge on two different occasions; he was made an Odd-Fellow at College Springs, Iowa, in 1872. He is a member of Rising Star Lodge, No. 180, A. O. U. W., at Blanchard.
Mr.Hawley was united in marriage at Rockport, Missouri, August 6, 1869, to Miss Sarah Wetmore. She is a native of Knox County, Illinois, and was educated at Galesburg, Illinois. Prior to her marriage she was engaged in the profession of teaching. Four children have been born of this union: Minnie M., deceased, Elihu Yale, Mae C. and Vela.
Mr. Hawley is one of the best business men in Page County, and is looked upon with much favor on account of his square dealing and strict integrity of character.

THOMAS F. FLOWERS was born in Harrison County, Virginia, September 14, 1823, and is a son of William and Maria (Bigler) Flowers, also natives of Harrison County. His grandfather, Lambert Flowers, was reared in Maryland, and was married to Rachel McCoy, a native of Pennsylvania; he emigrated to Harrison County at a very early day, when Indians were almost his only neighbors.
In 1834 William Flowers and family removed to Fulton County, Illinois, before the land came into the market. He died in Prairie City, Illinois, in 1881, aged eighty-two years; his wife died a short time before, [page 588] aged seventy-six years. They had a family of nine children, of whom four are now living: Thomas F., William B., Jacob N. and Mary J.
Thomas F. Flowers and Miss Belle Reed ware united in marriage October 16, 1844. The ancestry of Mrs. Flowers discloses some interesting facts. Her parents were James and Elizabeth (Beer) Reed, who settled in Illinois in 1839, coming from Alleghany County, Pennsylvania, where she had been born March 24, 1829. Her grandfather, Robert M. Beer, had served seven years in the war of the Revolution, receiving many scars to tell of the struggle. He was married to Nancy N. Queen, at Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, July 4, 1776, Independence day. In later life he made his home with his son, and died at the ripe old age of ninety-four years. Mrs. Flowers' father was twice married and reared a family of eight children by each wife; her mother was the second wife.
Alter his marriage Mr. Flowers and wife settled in Fulton County; having farmed three years in Fulton County, they moved to McDonough County, four miles west of Bushnell, lived on a farm three years, and then located at Prairie City and he followed his trade for twenty years. He is a natural mechanic, and became an expert workman. In 1875 he decided to come to Iowa, and in that year located in Mills County, where, in addition to his farming, he worked at his trade until coming to Shenandoah in 1886. He has a fine tract of five acres adjoining the college campus, and has erected three houses, which are arranged for the accommodation of college students.
Mr. and Mrs. Flowers have not been blessed with children of their own, but have one daughter by adoption, who enjoys their love as fully as if she were their own. Hattie Reed, daughter of Robert Reed, a brother of Mrs. Flowers, became a member of the Flowers family when but four years of age, and her parents having other children allowed her to remain with her aunt and uncle. She has been given a thorough education at Prairie City, Illinois, and after leaving school she began teaching, of which she made a decided success. She was born August 7, 1851, and was married July 4, 1879, at Council Bluffs, to Joseph R. Young. Four children have been born of this union: Josephine, Thomas Franklin, Robert M. and Willie H.
Mr. and Mrs. Flowers for nearly half a century have trod life's pathway together. In politics they are Democratic, and take pleasure in the liberal doctrines of that party. Mrs. Flowers is connected with the Presbyterian Church.


FRANK S. BURKHARD, Shenandoah's popular ice man, was born in Buffalo, New York, February 28, 1850, and is a son of John and Catherine (Riddle) Burkhard, natives of Germany. Joseph Burkhard, grandfather of Frank S., settled at Buffalo immediately after the war of 1812, before the city had recovered from its effects. John Burkhard was a millwright by trade, and assisted in the erection of some of the largest mills in Buffalo. His death occurred in 1860; his widow survived him ten years. They had but two children, John B.and Frank S. Our subject learned the turner's trade and worked at it for seven years. He then removed to Omaha, Nebraska, where his brother John was at the time. As there was a brisk demand for carpenters he engaged in building, and finding it remunerative he followed the trade for nearly seven years. He decided to seek a home in some inland town, and his attention was attracted to Shenandoah, where [page 589] he located in May, 1874. At that time there was much building being done, and he at once found employment at his trade; for two years and a half he was the principal contractor, employing from sixteen to twenty workmen, and erecting nearly all the large buildings in the town and surrounding country that date from that period.
In 1876, the competition having reduced profits to a minimum, Mr. Burkhard abandoned the business of contracting and opened a restaurant. He also engaged in the ice trade, and the demands of this business increased to such an extent that he sold his restanrant in 1881, since when he has devoted his energies to supplying the people of Shenandoah with a superior quality of nature's crystal. His enterprise and persistency have been well displayed in his efforts to make a success of this undertaking. After many hindrances and drawbacks, and the expenditure of large sums of money, he has accomplished his end. He has built a reservoir which is supplied with pure water from a well, and which has a capacity of 1,000,000 gallons. He has a store-house with a capacity of 900 tons. The first packing-house he owned was on the banks of the Nishna, and it was destroyed by lightning and tornadoes. Shenandoah is to be congratulated that one of her citizens was possessed with the vigor and enthusiasm to carry this stupendous enterprise to a happy consummation. This was in November, 1883. Since that time he has introduced a number of German carp into his reservoir, which is now peopled with thousands of those beautiful specimens.
Mr. Burkhard is also engaged in the manufacture of the celebrated Portland pavement, which has no equal for smoothness and evenness of surface and durability. No man in Shenandoah has overcome greater obstacles or has followed the even tenor of his way with more tenacity of purpose, and no man is more worthy of congratulation upon his success than Mr. Burkhard.
November 22, 1870, he was united in marriage to Miss Genevieve A. Pischki, who was born in Prussia January 3, 1850. Her parents, Albert and Victoria Pischki, still reside in " Fatherland." At the age of seventeen years she accompanied her father on a visit to America, when she became acquainted with her husband at Buffalo. They have a family of six children: John Sylvester, Charles Frank, Albert George, Frances Victoria, Mary Genevieve and Agnes Catherine.
John S. is a telegraph operator in the employ of the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railway, and holds a responsible position. The family are devout members of the Roman Catholic Church.
Politically Mr. Burkhard is a Democrat, casting his first vote for Horace Greeley. He has served three years on the Board of Education, and is considered one of its ablest members. In 1886 he was appointed town assessor, and has been twice re-elected, being the present incumbent of the office.


H. C. BEDISON, the gentlemanly and popular agent of the Wabash Railway at Shenandoah, has risen steadily from the position of office boy at eighteen years of age in the superintendent's office at Maryville, Missouri, until no agent of the entire system enjoys the confidence of his superiors to a greater degree. After serving in the inferior capacity of office boy, doing errands of all kinds for three months, he was made a clerk in the same office. In February, 1880, he was promoted to the position of agent at Solomon, where he remained until being promoted to his present position, [page 590] where he succeeds his father. In addition to the duties pertaining to the office he is the agent of the Pacific Express Company at Shenandoah.
Mr. Bedison is one of the Wabash Railway's most trusted and faithful employes. His merit is recognized by his employers and they have frequently offered him better situations, but he is well pleased with Shenandoah and her people, and having a home in their midst he hesitates to withdraw himself and family from such agreeable surroundings.
H. C. Bedison was born in New Brighton, Pennsylvania, March 16, 1861, and is a son of W. L. and Hannah (Lessig) Bedison, natives of Pennsylvania. His father was a canal boatman plying between Rochester, Pennsylvania, and Youngstown, Ohio. When a mere boy H. C. would travel with his father, and much of his time until his thirteenth year was passed on the boat. In 1873 the family removed to Sreelville, Missouri, where the father had been appointed auditor for the St. L., S. & L. R. Railway. There they remained until 1879, when he took a similar position upon this division of the Wabash Railway, with headquarters at Maryville, Missouri, and where, as has been stated, young Bedison began his railway career. In 1881 his father was made agent at Shenandoah, and when in 1882 he left the situation he was made auditor for the division, with headquarters at Council Bluffs, in which capacity he is still retained.
During the eleven years that H. C. Bedison has been in the employ of the Wabash Railway he has not been off duty a single week at any one time, but has always been found on the pay-roll. He has become interested in other business matters, being a stockholder in the Shenandoah National Bank and a director of both building and loan associations of the place.
He was married July 16, 1882, to Miss Flora Hammack, daughter of Callaway and T. A. Hammack of Mills County. Mrs. Bedison was born at Newton, Iowa, July 31, 1865. They are the parents of two children: Clyde T., aged six years, and Harold C, aged one year.
Politically Mr. Bedison is identified with the Republican party.


JOSEPH VAN BUSKIRK, proprietor of the Shenandoah Roller Mills, was born in Marshall County, Illinois, January 2, 1844. His parents, Joseph and Rebecca (Boys) Van Buskirk, were both natives of the "Keystone" State, where they were reared and married; they came to Illinois about 1833. Seven children were born to them, four of whom are living: William, James, Sarah and Joseph.
Joe, as he is familiarly known, made his home in Marshall and Woodford counties, Illinois, and was engaged in agricultural pursuits until 1869, when he came to Hamburg, Fremont County, Iowa. There he embarked in the live-stock trade for three years; he then settled on a tract of land in Fremont County and began improving a new farm. His strict attention to his duties was rewarded with more than the usual degree of success, and he continued to conduct the industry until 1883, when he decided to leave the farm and remove to Shenandoah. A partnership was soon formed with C. D. Lester, the oldest and most extensive live-stock shipper in this vicinity. They carried on an important business for two years, shipping the bulk of the stock from this community. Mr. Lester was a man of broad and liberal views, and this partnership is looked back upon by Mr. Van Buskirk as one of the [page 591] pleasantest experiences of his life. A strong attachment grew up between the two men, to be broken by the premature death of Mr. Lester, than whom no man had more or warmer friends. After a period of two years the partnership was dissolved and was about to be renewed when Mr. Lester was called to his rest.
Mr. Van Buskirk continued the stock trade, forming a partnership with W. A. White. The Shenandoah Mill was erected in 1879 by Burr & Randolph; it was a small affair and was enlarged and improved by Mr. Burr in 1883, when the patent roller process was substituted. In the year 1886 it passed into the hands of a mill company of which Mr. Van Buskirk was a member; the following year it was greatly improved, about $2,500 being expended upon it; it was made a full roller mill with a daily capacity of seventy-five barrels. The present commodious elevator was built in connection, having a storage capacity of 20,000 bushels. A. A. Ong is the efficient miller, and he takes the second place to none in the manufacture of the finest grades of flour. The well-known brands, " High Patent," " Blue Ribbon," " Roller King " and " White Rose " are the product of this mill. The stock in the company was soon bought by Mr. Van Buskirk and Colonel George H. Castle, who continued as partner until 1888; then Colonel Castle retired and Mr. Van Buskirk became sole owner. In addition to his mill interests he buys large quantities of grain, and he also handles coal. He continued in the stock tyade until quite recently, when he severed his connection with Mr. Rockafield.
In all the multiplicity of business interests Mr. Van Buskirk has found time to gratify his taste for fine-bred horses. He is the owner of " Colonel Hepburn," one of the most celebrated thoroughbred animals in the
State; he also owns " Eulalie," a thorough­bred mare in which he takes great pride.
Mr. Van Buskirk was united in marriage November 4,1867, to Miss Mattie Fulton, a native of Wells County, Indiana. Their family consists of Dell, George, Clarence, Jodie and Frank. The eldest of these is the efficient book-keeper in the Shenandoah National Bank, and George is the book-keeper in his father's office. Both are young men of promise, and each has taken a business course at the Western Normal College.
Mrs. Van Buskirk is a member of the Congregational Church. Mr. Van Buskirk is identified with the Masonic and Knights of Pythias fraternities. Politically he affiliates with the Democratic party.
He has been prominent in the upbuilding of Shenandoah, and his influence and good judgment have been felt on every hand; retiring and unpretentious in manner, he has won a wide circle of warm friends, and he is looked upon as one of the liberal and public spirited men of the county.


WILLIAM H. WRIGHT, the genial host of the favorite resort of the traveling public, the Hotel Delmonico, is well qualified to care for his guests, and the extended popularity of this hostelry strengthens the assertion that Mr. Wright is one of Iowa's best entertainers. He has a keen appreciation of the wants of the traveling man and caters to them agreeably and so as to make each guest feel that he is welcome; there is a home influence pervading the Delmonico that is difficult to resist, and guests are loth to leave its warmth and cheer for less inviting retreats. The Delmonico tables groan under the good things prepared under the direction of an expert chef-de-cuisine, [page 592] and from the delicious soups through the entire menu there are found such palatable dishes as are met with only in first-class hotels. The thirty-one rooms of the Delmonico are newly and nicely furnished, each bed being provided with woven-wire bed-springs, where the weary salesman may repose in the enjoyment of innocent dreams peculiar to the profession.
Mr. Wright has had several years' experience in Iowa hotels, and no landlord better understands the wants of his guests. For two years he conducted the Park House, coming to the Delmonico in August, 1889, and under his supervision it has become the favorite hotel of that place.
William H. Wright was born at Clifton Springs near Canandaigua, Ontario County, New York, June 9, 1852. His parents were John and Eliza S. Wright, natives of New York and Connecticut respectively.
He was married October 22, 1875, to Miss Inez M. Sweet, who was born in the State of New York. They are the parents of two daughters, Luella, aged thirteen years, and Gertie May, aged eleven years.
Mr. Wright is a member of the Masonic fraternity and also of the Knights of Pythias. Politically he affiliates with the Republican party.


ED MOORE, proprietor of Moore's Livery, Feed and Sale Stables, Shenandoah, opened his present business March 1, 1888. He has a choice location adjacent to Hotel Delmonico and near the city depot. He keeps ten head of excellent driving horses, and first-class buggies and carriages, giving prompt and careful attention to all calls.
This enterprising and popular liveryman was born in Kendall County, Illinois, April 10, 1834. At that time the frontier home was in the midst of a howling wilderness where to-day stands the progressive town of Newark.
Norman C.Moore, the sire of our subject, had emigrated from New York two years before Ed's birth; he was of German ancestry, and his wife, whose maiden name was Maria Truman, was of English origin. In 1840 the family decided to move farther West and came to Iowa, settling in Fairfield; there they remained but two years, and then returned to Kendall County, Illinois, where they succeeded in purchasing their old home farm. There the father was called from earth in 1844.
When Ed was fifteen years old they removed to Putnam County, Illinois, and there the mother died in 1862. August 6, 1862, Mr. Moore enlisted, at La Salle, Illinois, in Company H, 104th Illinois Volunteer Infantry. His command was attached to the Army of the Cumberland, and he fought in the ranks through all the fearful battles of that campaign. He received a gunshot wound in his left hip at Kenesaw Mountain that disabled him for active service for a time.
In one of the hardest fought struggles when the cannoneers of Captain Bridges' battery were killed, Moore with a few others from his command were detailed as artillerymen, in which capacity they acted for a few weeks. With this exception he was constantly in the ranks. After the declaration of peace Mr. Moore settled in Corning, Adams County, Iowa, and resided there about seven years, engaged in farming; he then embarked in the livery business at Gravity, Taylor County, Iowa. He was quite successful in this enterprise conducting it for four years; he then lived at Hamburg for two years and from that point he removed to Shenandoah.
Mr. Moore was married in La Salle, Illi- [page 593] nois, to Miss Maria McGrath, who bore him five children: John Murray, Charles, Corabelle, Bert and Eliza. A few years since he and his wife were separated by divorce, and August 1, 1887, he was united in marriage to Miss Mary E. Richey, a native of Warren County, Illinois, and a daughter of Stephen Richey, a pioneer of Ringgold County, Iowa.
Mr. Moore is a highly respected member of the I. O. O. F. and the G. A. R. Politically he affiliates with the Democratic party, but exercises his judgment in casting his ballot, supporting the man rather than the party.

MRS IDA LILLIAN BURKES, proprietor of the Ladies' Exchange, Shenandoah, is an artist in her line of work whose taste and skill have met with remarkable favor. For ten years she has been established at Shenandoah as a dressmaker and milliner, having learned the art at Hopkins, Missouri, under skilled instruction. But this restricted line of work did not prove just to her liking; during the past year she has somewhat abandoned the dressmaking department and has given her natural capacities opportunity to follow their inclinations. She carries a stock of about $1,000 invested in millinery, fancy goods, and notions, including all desirable material for every kind of embroidery. It is a choice selection and is an advantage to the ladies of Shenandoah. However, it comprises but a small portion of Mrs. Burkes business, the principal part being the production in most delicate design all kinds of embroidery and fancy articles in Kensington, plush and ribbon work by her own deft fingers. She was a wonderful faculty in this direction, and her goods exhibited at fairs never fail to carry off the highest honors and medals, even when competition has been strongest.
It need not be supposed that Mrs. Burkes' skill is the spontaneous outburst of uncultivated talent; like every artist, no matter what natural talent may have existed, success has only come after years of toil and study. She spent years in developing natural ability and has taken courses of instruction under the most skilled artists of Chicago and other places. She has given attention to drawing and painting, and has devoted two years to the study in the art department of the Western Normal College, at Shenandoah and Moberly, Missouri. Her productions in crayon, India ink, and water colors show talent and skill beyond the ordinary. Demands having been made up on her for instruction she has accepted a few pupils, and her ability as a teacher is shown in the rapid advancement of her students.
Ida Lillian McRoberts was born near Cedar Rapids, Iowa. January 4, 1859, and is the daughter of George M. and Lucretia M. (Taylor) McRoberts. When she was about ten years of age she removed with her family to Taylor County, where she grew to woman­hood and made the acquaintance of her husband, James Burkes, to whom she was married at Clarinda, Iowa, November 4, 1878. Mr. Burkes was born in Schuyler County, Missouri, April 8, 1857, but was reared in Appanoose County, Iowa. He became a machinist, learning the trade at Marengo, Iowa, and for a number of years has been traveling, repairing and tuning pianos and organs, and attending to all the more delicate repairs of sewing-machines. He was a salesman for some years for the Singer Sewing Machine Company, and is thoroughly familiar with the internal mechanism of all such machines.
Mr. and Mrs. Burkes have a desirable [page 594] home on Sheridan Avenue, to which Mrs. Burkes has contributed no small part. They have one son by adoption, Leo, a bright child of seven years whom they have cared for six years.
Mrs. Burkes is a consistent member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and is always active in every enterprise within the church.


J. F. KING.—For fifteen years the carriage manufactory has been one of Shenandoah's most valued institutions, and has afforded employment to ten or fifteen men, until the past two or three years. The works were established by George A. Quinby and Lewis Wilford, who conducted the business for seven years, since when Mr. Quinby has carried on the enterprise until December 20, 1889. At that time the entire institution passed into the hands of him whose name heads this brief biography.
The works cover two lots and occupy two buildings, one being devoted to wood-work and painting and the other to the blacksmith shops and trimming. An engine in an adjacent building furnishes the necessary power. Thus every facility is offered for the production of all kinds of carriages, buggies, carts, and wagons, and all manner of repairing. Skilled workmen are constantly employed, so that upon short notice orders for anything in this line can be filled. Mr. King has $4,000 invested in the business, and every indication is that business will prove satisfactory and remunerative. In addition to his other business he is the representative of the " Esterly " grain-binder, and keeps a stock constantly on hand.
J. F. King was born in the " Keystone " State, in Lancaster County, April 27, 1849. His parents, Jacob and Martha King, were also natives of Pennsylvania. When he was six years of age they removed to Illinois, settling in Henderson County, where he grew to manhood, having passed through all the experiences incident to farm life. At an early age he learned the carpenter's trade, and being naturally of a mechanical mind he soon mastered the art, which he followed for a few years. Desiring to secure a farm he engaged in agricultural pursuits in Illinois until 1881, when he came to Iowa, settling on a beautiful tract of land in Morton Township, Page County. He improved one of the most desirable farms in his vicinity and continued to reside there until recently, when he came to Shenandoah to engage in a more congenial occupation. He has secured a pleasant residence one block from the park, and surrounded by his family he enjoys many of the comforts and pleasures of life.
Mr. King was married New Year's day, 1874, to Miss Letitia Sparrow, a native of Burlington, Iowa. Their family consists of Walter C., Clyde Harry, Martha Ada and Laura Letitia. Mary Esther, next to the youngest, was called from earth, saddening her home and friends. Her death occurred January 7, 1890, aged three years and a few months. The parents are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and do not hesitate to respond to charity's calls, or to give aid to a weary and burdened heart.


HENRY GOULD WEECH was born at Somerton, Somersetshire, England, September 15, 1838. His parents, Samuel and Elizabeth (Gould) Weech, were natives of Somersetshire and descendants of ancestors who were of importance in the days of the Commonwealth, some of them fighting with Cromwell's Ironsides. [page 595] In 1848 the family, having embraced the Mormon faith, emigrated to the United States, coming first to New Orleans. The father was much dissatisfied with the scanty provision made on shipboard and elsewhere for the comfort and safety of the company; he therefore decided to abandon the church, whose agents were at fault, and after remaining one winter at New Orleans he came up the Mississippi River to Alton, Illinois, where he found employment; he resided there until his death, which occurred in 1853. His wife and eight children remained in Alton for some time. There Henry learned the trade of carpentry, and after serving his apprenticeship, he worked four years as a journey­man. His mother still clinging to the Mormon faith, the family decided to go to Salt Lake. When they had reached Florence, just above Omaha, Henry concluded to return, not liking the appearance of things. He and his wife retraced their steps, coming through Fremont and Page counties. They were so much pleased with this section of country that, after one winter in Alton, they came to Page County and bought a tract of land, which they began to improve. Mr. Weech in the meantime worked at his trade as there was demand. They resided on this farm until 1869, when they sold it and secured another tract of 200 acres, two miles north of Shenandoah; there they lived for five years. In 1874 Mr. Weech purchased one-half of section 6, Grant Township, and moved to the place, where he carried on grain-growing extensively for eight years. At the end of that time he retired to Shenandoah, in order to allow his children an opportunity to acquire a better education. He still owns the two farms, from which he receives a satisfactory rental. He also owns a residence in Shenandoah, in one of the choicest portions of the town.
Mr. Weech became interested in the canning factory, as one of the original stockholders, and was made the second president of the company. He is also a stockholder in the Creamery Association. At present he is not engaged in active business but is enjoying a well-earned rest.
Henry G. Weech was married in Alton, Illinois, in 1854, to Miss Harriet Allen, who was also of English origin, her birthplace being Herefordshire. Five children were born of this union: Albert, Clara, Frank, Delia and Elsie. The four older children are making their own way in the world, three of them being teachers. Frank is a stock­man in Colorado, and Elsie is a member of the senior class of the Shenandoah High School.
Mrs. Weech passed to the " silent realm," July 26,1889, aged fifty-six years, She was a woman of many noble traits of character, and is sincerely mourned by her family and friends.
Mr. Weech is a Republican in politics, and is deeply interested in educational matters.


JAMES L. COLE, who is now serving a third term as Township Trustee, has the confidence of the community to a most satisfactory degree. Besides attending to the duties of trustee he has served three terms as a member of the Board of Aldermen. To the administration of both offices he brings a peculiar fitness and business ability. In him the public has a servant who not only has great capability, but who does not despise the small details of'business.
Mr. Cole and his brother Orson P. settled in Walnut Township, Fremont County, six miles from Shenandoah, in the spring of 1866. He at once began to build up a home, and [page 596] having twelve hundred dollars capital he invested it judiciously, and by strict application to the requirements of his chosen business he has succeeded admirably. His home has been in Shenandoah for nine years, and he has a desirable residence in a most attractive part of the city in convenient reach of the business center. However, he gives his personal attention to the operations of his farm, and feeds large numbers of cattle for Eastern markets. He has contributed largely to advance the growth and breeds of stock in this vicinity, having himself secured a herd of ten thoroughbred short-horns of the Golden Drop family. He has endeavored to make his farm valuable and attractive, and besides a fine farm residence he has erected commodious barns conveniently arranged for stock, with wind-mills and watering-tanks.
James L. Cole was born in Oswego County, New York, July 2, 1834, and is a son of William R. and Susan (Lamb) Cole. David Lamb, the maternal great-grandfather of James L., was a soldier in the Revolutionary war, surviving most of his comrades in arms, and dying at the ripe old age of ninety-four years. The family has been a long time residents of Vermont, and William Cole has made his home with this old hero for sixteen years.
Our subject is the oldest of three sons who grew to maturity; Charles died in 1879, and Orson P. died in Shenandoah, December 25, 1877. The parents died on the old New York homestead, where they had settled when the country was new.
When young Cole was of age he yielded to the impulse to go West, and soon found himself in Kalamazoo, Michigan, where he met and married Miss Ann Hill, daughter of A. H. and Catherine (Chandlee) Hill. She was born in Cayuga County, New York, August 27, 1831, but from the age of eight years she was reared in the State of Michigan. They were married June 25, 1856, and the same day started for Wisconsin and secured a home in Fond du Lac County, near Ripon. After living there three years they returned to Michigan and remained there until 1864; they then went to New York and lived with Mr. Cole's parents until his father's death, after which he determined to go to Iowa.
Though Mr. and Mrs. Cole find much pleasure in life, their greatest hope was taken from them when their only child, Frank Elmer, died in infancy. They have recently adopted a little boy of nine years, Bertie V. Cole. They are faithful members oi the Congregational Church. In political affairs Mr. Cole is identified with the Republican party.


JOHN ERICSSON, born in Sweden, June 5, 1828, his parents being Eric and Annie (Peterson) Anderson. It will be at once noticed by the American reader that the son's name is not the same as the father's. The custom of some foreign countries is somewhat peculiar, the ordinary manner being for the son to take as a surname the given name of his father, as in the present case: others take the name of their native village or district: the sons of military men and officials retain the same name as their fathers.
John Ericsson served an apprenticeship of three years at the cabinet-maker's trade, but soon after transferred his attention to general carpentry and building. He went to Stockholm and for five years he followed his trade. After living a fairly successful life in Sweden until 1868, he decided to follow the example of many of his countrymen and emigrate to America.   He sailed on the steamer Hiber- [page 597] nia bound for Quebec, Galesburg, Illinois, being his destination; but instead of going there he came to Des Moines, Iowa, and was employed there, and at Newton and Grinnell until 1870, when he went to Vicksburg, Mississippi. He soon went to Waverly, Louisiana, and was employed on a large plantation remodeling the planter's buildings, including cotton gin, saw-mill and tenements. He was retained there more than three years, when he came back to Newton, Jasper County. He had been joined by his family meanwhile, and now located at Newton, expecting to make it his permanent residence. However, in February, 1883, he came to Shenandoah and purchased lots on which he erected a roomy, comfortable residence one block north­west of the college.
Much of Mr. Ericsson's contracting has been of churches, in which particular line he has an extended reputation. He has two beautiful mementos presented by congregations for whom he had erected churches; one is a gold-headed cane of much beauty, and the other is a valuable gold watch.
Mr. Ericsson was married in November, 1852, to Miss Annie Louise Peterson. Seven children have been born to them, two dying in infancy. Carl Frederic, the eldest, was graduated from the medical department of the State University in the class of 1881, and began the practice of medicine at Des Moines; he was a young man of uncommon promise, and his death, just when life's prospects were brightest, was a great blow to his family and friends. The medical fraternity of Iowa's capital held him in high estimation, and passed resolutions of condolence and sympathy. Eric T., the second son, resides at San Bernardino, California, and follows his father's trade; Gus B. is a druggist at Essex; Jennie is at home, and Selma, who has the honor of being the first pupil attending the
Western Normal College from Jasper County, married the Rev. Daniel Renstrom, who was called from earth August 14, 1888.
Mr. Ericsson is a man of solid tendencies, and has a mind well stored with substantial information secured by a course of reading of standard historical and scientific works. His political affiliations are with the Republican party, and he is thoroughly informed upon all questions of public interest.


JEREMIAH TYLER has been a resident of Page County for the past six years, removing from Fremont County to his present place. In 1880 he settled seven miles from Shenandoah on the county line. He was born in Ontario, Wayne County, New York, July 10, 1829, and is a son of Jeremiah and Lois (Stowell) Tyler, natives of Vermont and New York respectively. The Tyler family are of English descent and were early settlers in Vermont. Jeremiah Tyler, Sr., was a soldier in the war of 1812; he was a black­smith and edge-tool maker, and his son Jeremiah learned the trade and followed it for fifteen years. There were seven children in the family, of whom our subject was the fourth. In 1852 he came to Lee County, Illinois, and improved a farm, having a shop on his farm a part of the time; he also had a shop at Rochelle. His parents settled there about 1860 and his father died five years later. The mother died in Michigan, where some of her children were living.
When there was a call for men to defend the Union, Jeremiah Tyler, Jr., offered his services, but was rejected on account of a slight physical defect. He resided in Illinois until 1877, doing quite an extensive business. He finally bought 240 acres in Fremont County, Iowa, where he has since been engaged in [page 598] the live-stock business. He has now in his home place forty acres of land, which being convenient to the town makes it a desirable home. It is well improved, having an excellent house and barn.
Mr. Tyler was married in Fremont County, November, 1880, to Miss Jennie Haynes, who is his third wife; they have two children: Freddie, aged six years, and Lois, aged three years. His first marriage was in New York, when at the age twenty-two years he was united to Miss Nancy Risley, who died in 1860, leaving two children, Oscar and Charles, who reside in Fremont County. The second marriage was in Illinois, where he was wedded to Miss Sophia Wright, who left one child, Willie.
Mr. Tyler has been a member of the I. O. O. F. for thirty-six years. Politically he has been identified with the Republican party, but he has recently taken a more liberal view of the question and votes for the man whom he considers best qualified to fill the position. He is a man of wide acquaintance and is well read upon general topics.


NEHEMlAH WOODRUFF was born in Knox County, Ohio, November 3, 1833, and is the son of Joseph and Rhoda (Young) Woodruff, natives of New Jersey and Pennsylvania respectively, The father came to Pennsylvania when quite young and was there reared to the occupation of a farmer. After his marriage he removed to Ohio. He and his wife had born to them ten children: Mary Ann, wife of H. Carpenter; Esther, wife of Deming Carpenter, deceased; Jane, wife of G. W. Jones; Clarissa, wife of Jacob Gause, deceased; Catherine, wife of Charles Bills; Elizabeth, wife of Samuel McKeen; Martha, wife of Lemuel Poston; Eliza, wife of George Fox; Meeker, deceased, and Nehemiah, the subject of this biography.
Delaware County, Ohio, was where he spent his childhood and youth; at the age of seventeen he removed to Ogle County, Illinois. He had been trained in agricultural pursuits and had received his education in the pioneer log school-house in Ohio. He remained under the parental roof until he had attained his majority. In February, 1854, Mr. Woodruff was married to Miss Emma Jones, daughter of Samuel and Maria (Cochral) Jones, who was born in the State of Ohio, May 1, 1839.
After his marriage Mr. Woodruff settled on a farm in Ogle County, Illinois, and remained there for two years, when he went to Franklin Grove, Lee County, Illinois, and engaged in the butcher's trade; he followed this occupation till 1859, when he went to South English, Keokuk County, Iowa, and embarked in the grocery business, which he carried on successfully until the breaking out of the war in 1861; he enlisted in the Fifth Iowa Volunteer Infantry, Company F, and had served almost two years when he was discharged on account of disability at Corinth, Mississippi. He was wounded at the Osage railroad bridge eight miles from Jefferson City, Missouri, while on guard duty; he was the first man of the Fifth Iowa to be wounded. The most noted battles in which he took part were New Madrid and Island No. 10. He returned to his home in Ogle County and spent two years in trying to regain his health. He then came to Iowa, locating at Toledo, Tama County; there he purchased a home and for five years was employed as a clerk. At the end of this time he disposed of his property and removed to Poweshiek County, Iowa, and for one year was engaged in farming. In April, 1870, he came to Page county and bought forty acres of wild land in East River Township, which he has placed [page 599] under good cultivation; he has added to the first purchase thirty-five and a half acres and has erected a substantial story-and-a-half residence; he has planted a fine orchard of 180 trees and has set out a large assortment of small fruits. He also owns property in Shambaugh, and spent about ten years in Shambaugh Mills as assistant.
In 1886 Mr. Woodruff removed with his family to his present home in Shambaugh, where he keeps the only hotel in the place; he also keeps a feed stable for the general public. During a two years' residence in Frontier County, Nebraska, he took up a homestead, which he traded for Page County property.
Politically he affiliates with the Republican party; he is a member of Warren Post, No. 11, G. A. R.
A family of ten children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Woodruff: Joseph, married to Amy Freel; Rosella J., wife of Homer Colvin; Edward, married to Belle Hamm; David, married to Eva F. Brown, who died May 16, 1889; Charlotte B., wife of Charles Hamm; Walter B., Martha E., infant son Charles R., Fredrick H.


L. VAN ARSDOL, proprietor of the Bank of Coin, is a native of the " Hoosier " State, born in Delaware County, June 22, 1849, and is the third of a family of six children, his parents being Isaac and Margaret Van Arsdol. When he was four years of age the family removed to Iowa and located for the winter in Polk County; in the spring of 1854 they came to Page County, making the trip overland by team. His youth was passed amidst the wild scenes of frontier life; his education was obtained in the common schools, and after he had attained his majority he attend a commercial college in Iowa City, where he took a thorough course. Returning home he engaged in farming for two summers and taught school in the winter-time.
Agricultural life not being exactly suited to his taste, in 1872 he entered a clothing store as clerk, and in one year he was employed in the bank of Reed, Farnham & Co., at Clarinda, as book-keeper and cashier. When this firm made a change in their business and located at Shenandoah he went with them and continued as cashier for two years. His next commercial venture was in the grain business at Clarinda, and then he became interested in the construction of the Wabash Railroad. In the spring of 1881 he assisted in the organization of the bank at Clarinda, known as the Valley Bank, and filled the position of cashier until 1882, when he purchased the Bank of Coin, where he continues to conduct the business. In connection with the banking operations he also does a general mortgage, loan, and real-estate business, and has the agency of several leading fire insurance companies.
Mr. Van Arsdol owns his residence in Coin and his business building; he has a good lot on the north side of the public square in Clarinda. In 1886 he opened a cattle ranch in Cheyenne County, Kansas, known as the Cleveland Run Cattle Company, where he has 2,000 acres well stocked with cattle, horses, and hogs; a portion is under cultivation. Politically our subject is identified with the Republican party and takes an active interest in the issues of the day. He is a member of Nodaway Lodge, No. 140, A. F. & A. M.; of Clarinda Chapter, No. 29, R. A. M., and of Pilgrim Commandery, No. 20, K. T.; he is also identified with Coin Lodge, No. 455, I. O. O. F.
Mrs. Van Arsdol was married August 30, 1876, to Cynthia Conner, a daughter of [page 600] Richard and Elizabeth J. Conner, born in Clarinda, February 26, 1856. They are the parents of three children: an unnamed son died in infancy; Grace and West. Mrs. Van Arsdol is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church,

REV. T. C. SMITH.—The Story of a Simple Life.   In 1842 Tom Corwin, the " Wagoner  Boy," was  candidate for Governor of Ohio for his second term, and was defeated.   On a Sabbath day, the 27th of the month of November of the same year, near Amelia, Clermont County, Ohio, a son was born to Enos and Hannah Smith. Being ardent Whigs and admirers of Mr. Corwin, they named this boy Thomas Corwin. The father was a local minister in the Methodist Episcopal Church, a zealous, godly man; and it was his boast that on this particular day he rode five miles for a physician, had a son born in his house, and preached a sermon before dinner.   At three years of age Corwin suffered the partial loss of the use of a limb, which has ever since compelled him to imitate Jacob as he limped from Peniel. He pounts this, however, one of the blessings of his life, although it came in sad disguise. He was placed in school very early, and some of his pleasantest recollections, as well as some of his most painful ones, are due to his varied experiences in the schools of Lucy's Run, Amelia, Edenton and Five Mile. Then, men kept school; now, women teach. He "ciphered" through Ray's arithmetic, sang geography and grammar, and was counted a good speller in Webster and McGuffey. He went from the common school to the academy, from the academy to the college, from which he was graduated in 1866, standing No. 1 in his class.  In 1868 he was elected Professor of Mathematics in U. C. College, Indiana, his alma mater; but he resigned his professorship in 1871 to accept the principalship of the Hagerstown public schools. In 1873 he was elected superintendent of schools of Wayne County; in 1875 president of U. C. College; and at the expiration of his term in 1881 he was re-elected. The last four years at U. C. College he organized and conducted a Berean Class composed of young men and women who wished to obtain a knowledge of Christianity, its doctrines, facts and history. This led him to examine and compare carefully the various systems of theology and church polity, and finally led to a thorough revolution in his own convictions. By the accident of birth and training he became identified with the Christian Connexion (Newlights), of which his mother is a member; by deliberate choice he beame a Presbyterian.
In July, 1882, after his resignation as president of U. C. College, he was chosen president of Antioch (Ohio) College; but as his mind was fully made up to change his ecclesiastical relations he respectfully declined. In September, 1882, with his family he removed to Princeton, New Jersey, and spent a year in the studies of Hebrew, theology and philosophy, and in April, 1883, he was admitted into the Presbytery of New Brunswick, and licensed to preach. June 10, of that year, by invitation of the church at Shenandoah, Iowa, he began his work with them; and there he spent four very happy, and he trusts, useful years. May 1,1887, he became pastor of the church at Clarinda, and still abides there. His work has been abundantly blessed of the Lord, and the calls for his services in pulpit and on platform are more than he can fill.
He was married to Miss Nannie McConnell, of Cynthiana, Indiana, March 24, 1867. [page 601]

They have four children: Zua, Austin, Karl and Hugh.   But Austin is fallen asleep.


MYRON WARNER was born in the State of Michigan, January 22,1842, and has been a resident of Page County since the year 1879. His parents, Lewis and Loderaia M. (Wicks) Warner, were natives of the State of New York. When he was four years of age they returned to New York and remained there for ten years. Myron then again returned to the West, locating in Noble County, Indiana, where he spent six years.
When the dark war cloud arose and spread its awful pall over this nation, he did not hesitate to go to the defense of the " old flag." He enlisted July 6, 1862, in Company D, Seventy-fourth Indiana Volunteer Infantry, and served three years. He was slightly wounded at Kenesaw Mountain, but participated in a number of hard-fought battles without further injury. Among the more noted engagements were Chickamauga, Mission Ridge and Resaca.
After the close of the war he returned to Noble County, Indiana, and entered the employ of the G. R. & I. Railway Company, and remained seven years. In 1879 he came to Page County and assisted in the construction of the O. &. St. L. Branch of the Wabash Railroad, and ever since that time he has been in the employ of the same company. He is now section boss at Coin, where he has six miles of track to look after and keep in repair. He has been in the employ of this branch of the Wabash longer than any other foreman, which is strong proof of his faith­fulness and ability.
Politically Mr. Warner casts his suffrage with the Democratic party.   He is a member of Coin Lodge, No. 455, I. O. O. F., and is the present secretary of the order; he also belongs to Emmanuel Lodge, No. 405, A. F. & A. M., at Blanchard, Iowa.
Mr. Warner was married in 1871 to Miss Matilda Jarrett, a native of Ohio; she died August 16, 1876, and was the mother of four children: Hallie P., died July 18,1876; Myrtle M., died February 14,1855; Claud N., born June 9, 1876, died September 5, 1876, and Ward. Mr. Warner was again married to Miss Anna Tylor, a native of Noble County, Indiana. Three children have been born of this marriage: John, died February 14,1885; William F. and Macie L. Mrs. Warner is a consistent member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.

A. H. KING, M. D.—The medical fraternity represented at Coin by the above-named physician. He did not choose Iowa as a home, but had the good fortune to be born within her borders in Appanoose County, November 21, 1850, his parents being Isaac and Mary (Hankins) King. From his fifth year he was reared in Taylor County, Iowa, and passed through about the same experiences as every other farmer's son in a comparatively new country. During the winter season he attended the common schools and in the summer devoted his time to agricultural pursuits. Having aspirations to attain some position and make for himself a name in the profession of medicine, he entered the office of his brother, I. King, M. D., at Plattsville, Iowa, and afterward was in the office of another brother, V. R. King, M. D. He then became a student at the Keokuk Medical College of Physicians and Surgeons, and was graduated from this institution in the spring of 1879.   He immedi- [page 602] ately located at Snow Hill, Page County, one mile north of the present site of Coin. There he engaged in practice, but in the fall of the same year when Coin was laid out he removed to this point, being the first physician in the town. Here he has built up an extensive practice, and has won for himself an enviable reputation.
Dr. King was united in marriage in Taylor County, Iowa, November 27, 1873, to Miss Clara C. Whitney, a daughter of B. F. and Lucinda Whitney. She is a native of the State of Illinois, and was born in the year 1850. Six children have been born to the Doctor and his wife: Elton H., Don R., Myra F., Theron H., Herman A. and Nella F.
Politically our subject is non-partisan, but usually casts his vote with the Republican party. He is a member of Bethna Lodge, No. 305, A. F. & A. M., and of Coin Lodge, No. 455, I. O. O. F.
The Doctor is a live, energetic man, and both in his profession and out of it he has won a large circle of friends.