Biographical History of Page County, Iowa, Lewis & Dunbar Publishers, 113 Adams Street, Chicago, Illinois, 1890

[transcribed by Pat O'Dell: ]

[page 727]

P. A. C. JONASSON removed from Henry County, Illinois, to Page County, Iowa, in March, 1875. He was born in Sweden, April 20, 1840, became a citizen of the United States March 2, 1880, conse­quently is an American citizen by adoption and and by law. He was reared in his native land, attending school until he was fifteen years of age. He served an apprenticeship at the carpenter's trade and also learned to operate a steam engine; he followed the business for a period of three years. In August, 1867, he bade farewell to his home and friends and native land and sailed away to the New World across the seas. After landing he proceeded to Illinois and secured work on a farm in Henry County; he had had some experience in agricultural pursuits in his earlier days in Sweden. In a short time he went to Fort Scott, Kansas, but in six months returned to Illinois.
Mr. Jonasson was married in Henry County, Illinois, December 31,1871, to Ellen Anderson, a native of Sweden; in less than one year, October 29, 1872, Mrs. Jonasson passed from this life to her immortal rest.

April 5, 1873, Mr. Jonasson married Nellie Johnson, one of his own country women. He remained in Henry County, Illinois, until 1875, as before stated; when he first came to Page County he purchased 160 acres of land, the northwest quarter of section 13, Washington Township, at $9.12 1/2 an acre. He has improved this land, erecting buildings, planting a grove and an orchard, and bringing about him all the comforts and conveniences of a modern home. He also owns eighty acres in section 12, and another eighty acres in Colfax Township, making in all 320 acres; this land is fertile, and has been accumulated through his own efforts and industry; it is indeed a gratifying result of the labor of many years.
Mr. and Mrs. Jonasson are the parents of six children: John Alfred, France Oscar, Clara Melinda, Stella Beatrice, Hannah Blanche, and Eva S., deceased. Politically our subject affiliates with the Republican party. He was reared in the Lutheran faith and was a member of the church in Henry County, Illinois. Mrs. Jonasson and the children are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church of Northboro, Iowa. They are an industrious, energetic family, and are numbered among the leading citizens of Washington Township.

GEORGE H. LOWREY, a progressive and successful farmer of Amity Township, is the son of John Lowrey, who was born in Moy, Ireland, March 29, 1809; his father, a Scotchman, emigrated to America in 1810, and was a merchant in Troy, New York. He afterward removed to Canada and settled on a farm near Huntington in the Province of Quebec, residing there until his death. His son John was sixteen years old when the family went to Canada; he was reared to the life of a farmer and ob-[page 728]tained his education in the common schools. He assisted his father at the home farm until he was twenty-six years of age. September 18, 1837, he married Nancy Wilder, a daughter of Peter Wilder, and of this union seven children were born: William L., John B., Robert O., Henry W., Sarah E., Evangeline and George H. Nancy Wilder was born May 23, 1816, in Windsor County, Vermont, and at the age of thirteen years she removed with her parents to Franklin County, New York. She and her husband were in early life connected with the Methodist Episcopal Church, and Mr. Lowrey was ordained a minister in 1835. He was an abolitionist and did very effective work in the cause. In 1865 he came to Iowa and settled in College Springs, where he preached a year and a half. He died in 1874, at the age of sixty-five years, having lived a most useful life, and leaving an untarnished name to posterity.
George H. Lowrey, son of the above, was born September 10, 1856, near Saratoga Springs, New York, and at the age of nine years came to Iowa with his parents. He received a good education at Amity College, and when nineteen years of age began to teach school. He followed this profession for a period of nine years. He became almost the sole support of his mother's family after the death of his father; while he was getting his education he also provided for his mother, and by industry and strict economy paid off some old debts.
Mr. Lowrey was united in marriage September 3, 1879, to Jessie Stanton, daughter of I. N. and Elizabeth (Elliott) Stanton, born May 29, 1859, in Appanoose County, Iowa. Mr. Stanton is an old resident of College Springs, having settled there in 1869. Miss Stanton was at the time of her marriage a teacher in the public schools in College Springs.   She began teaching at the age of fifteen and taught thirteen terms in Page County. Mr. and Mrs. Lowrey are the parents of four children: Edna, Irving H., Guy E. and Vida M. For two years after his marriage Mr. Lowrey lived in College Springs, and three years he was in Essex, acting as principal of schools in both places. In 1884 he settled on his farm, which consists of 200 acres of land in a good state of cultivation, and well improved. In his teaching and his farming he has been very successful, having accumulated all the property which he now owns. He has been a liberal supporter and stanch friend of education. He and his wife are members of the Congregational Church, of which he is trustee. While residing in Essex they were members of the Presbyterian Church, Mr. Lowrey acting as elder and treasurer of the church and superintendent of the Sabbath-school.
Mr. Lowrey is still a young man, of a strong and vigorous constitution, and is an honor to the community.



JAMES HENRY BEACH, one of the leading farmers of Page County, is descended from an old family, who were patriots in the war which gave our country its independence. Martin Beach, the grandfather of James H., was a native of Connecticut and served in the war of the Revolution. The maternal grandfather, General William A. Mills, also served in the Revolution. He was a warm friend to the Indians, who had great respect for him; he was known among them by an Indian name which signifies " Big Kettle." He was the father of nine children, and lived to be eighty years of age. Martin Beach married Mary McNeal, and to them were born nine children: Levi, Abigal, Hannah Clarissa, Lucia, Harvey, Caroline, [page 729] Elizabeth, Emily and Edward. Mr. Beach was an early settler of Knox County, Ohio, where he took a heavily timbered piece of land, which he improved and made into a dairy farm. His wife was very skillful in the manufacture of cheese and butter. He was a popular man among his acquaintances; for many years he was a deacon in the Presbyterian Church; he lived to the age of seventy-eight years. Levi Beach, his son, was born in Connecticut, and was reared to the occupation of a farmer, which he followed all his days. He married Martha Mills, daughter of General William A. Mills and of this union seven children were born: Ann Eliza, Mary E., Clarissa H., James H., Francis G., William A. and Myron N.

F. G. Beach served four years in a Knox County, Ohio, regiment of the Union army in the late civil war, was in several hard battles, was wounded four times, is still living, drawing a small pension. Levi Beach settled in Knox County, Ohio, and was always in prosperous circumstances. He and his wife were members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and he was one of the stewards. He was an Abolitionist. He died in December, 1888, at the age of eighty-five years.
James Henry Beach, the subject of this biographical sketch, was born December 9, 1829, at Mount Morris, Livingston County, New York. When he was ten years old his father removed to Ohio, and he was educated at Mt. Vernon, Ohio, and at Oberlin College. He engaged in teaching and followed the profession in six different States,—Ohio, Kentucky, Tennessee, Missouri, Indiana and Iowa, —covering a period of twenty years. He taught at College Springs, Iowa, and at an early day he was one of three teachers, only, in Page County, who could obtain first-class professional certificates. In 1860 he came to Iowa, and the next year he was married to Mary A. Cross, daughter of the Rev. John Cross, a descendant of an old Revolutionary soldier bearing the same name; and he was one of Arnold's men, whom he sold out to the British. Mrs. Beach's mother was Lucinda Hulbert. This Hulbert family were all-good musicians. Mr. and Mrs. James H. Beach are the parents of two children, Charles L and Emma L. Charles married Lura Alverson, and resides in Dakota.
Besides being a teacher Mr. Beach has paid some attention to farming since 1860. In 1877 he abandoned the profession of teaching. He was in the mercantile trade in College Springs three years, and built the brick store now occupied by the McLean Brothers; The first year he was a partner with his wife's brother, J. Newton Cross. He owns a good farm, and is in comfortable circumstances. He and his wife and daughter are member's of the Seventh-Day Adventist Church; formerly they belonged to the Congregational Church and Mr. Beach was chorister in that church for twelve years, and was also recording secretary for several years. He is now a local elder in the Adventist Church.
The influence and services of Mr. Beach as a professional teacher for twenty years are not to be estimated in their value to the rising generation. He has been instrumental in the education of a large number of youths in this county as well as a multitude in five other States. His record in this, one of the most noble callings of life, is an honorable legacy of which his descendants may well be proud.


JOHN  M. EBBERSOLL, one of the intelligent and enterprising members of the farming community of Washington Township, came to Page County twenty years [page 730] ago. He is a native of the old " Keystone " State, born near Harrisburgh, July 27,1835. His father, John B. Ebbersoll, was a native of Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, and a sun of John Ebbersoll, who was descended from French ancestors. The mother of John M. was Mary Weaver, a daughter of Adam Weaver and a native of Cumberland County, Pennsylvania. Our subject is the second of a family of live children, four sons and one daughter. He passed his youth in Pennsylvania, attending the common schools and working on the farm during the summer seasons. When he was nineteen years old he emigrated to Clarke County, Ohio, where he studied medicine for one year under a noted preceptor; he undoubtedly had talent in this direction, but at the end of the year abandoned all thought of continuing the profession. In 1855 he came to Iowa, and located in Linn County, where he engaged in the lumber business, operating a saw-mill, in which he owned an interest. In 1862 he returned to Pennsylvania, and was near Gettysburg at the time of that noted battle. Eighteen months later he came back to Iowa, living for a time in Linn, Cedar, and Jones 'counties, engaged in various speculations. Not yet thoroughly satisfied with the West he again in 1869 returned to the State, in which he was born. Previous to this, however, he had purchased land in Page County, Iowa, and a year later he came back and located on his farm; he has 160 acres, which he has subdued from the wild prairie to a rich, fertile farm; he has made all the improvements necessary to a modern farming establishment, and devoted his time to the raising of live-stock; he has taken an interest in improving the grades of horses, and has been successful.
Mr. Ebbersoll has been twice married. First, in 1857, he was united to Elmira Miller, and by this marriage one child was born, Mary C, a resident of Colorado; the mother died in 1864, and Mr. Ebbersoll was married in 1870 to Lizzie Castle, a native of Dauphin County, Pennsylvania; by this union one daughter was born, Lydia Ann. Politically Mr. Ebbersoll adheres to the principles of the Republican party: he is well posted on the current events of the day, and has decided opinions on the political issues of the time. He is a successful business man, and is one of the reliable farmers of the county.

DAVID R. LEWIS, one of the substantial and successful farmers of Pierce Township, was born in Mason County, Illinois, August, 1835. His father was a farmer, but died when David was an infant of eighteen months; the mother too was soon called from earth, and he was left an orphan before he could realize the extent of his loss. There were no other children in the family, and he was adopted by Charles D. Howell, with whom he lived until he was eighteen years old. He was trained in all the details of agriculture, but his education was neglected. At the age of twenty-one years, when there was a call for men to leave home and friends for the sake of their country, he enlisted in Company I, Forty-first Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and served nearly five years. He participated in the battles of Fort Donelson, Vicksburg, Pittsburgh Landing, and Corinth, and several skirmishes. He was severely wounded at Vicksburg, and was confined to the hospital for some time. He was mustered out and honorably discharged in 1865, when he returned to Mason County, Illinois.
Mr. Lewis was married in 1873 to Miss Louisa A. Burr, a daughter of Job Burr and [page 731] Wilhelmina (Gilmore) Burr. Of this union nine children have been born, seven of whom are living: Emma, Freddie, Frank, Amos, Flora, Alice, and an infant unnamed. After his marriage, which occurred at Red Oak, Iowa, Mr. Lewis settled in Page County, Iowa, on his present farm; it then consisted of eighty acres, to which he has since added another hundred. The land is well situated, and has many valuable improvements.
Mr. and Mrs. Lewis are worthy and consistent members of the Christian Church. The patriotism and loyalty of our honored subject were attested by his long and faithful service throughout the civil war, and may prosperity be the lot of those courageous souls to whom we owe the present prosperity of our beloved nation.


JOHN WILLIAMS, one of the extensive land owners of Page County, will form the subject of the next biographical sketch. He was born in Cornwall, England, November 16, 1828, and is a son of James and Millicent (Oats) Williams, an earnest, religious pair, who led an honorable, upright life. At the age of twenty-live years he married a young maiden, born and reared in his own parish, Emma Courtney Rogers, a daughter of James and Jane (Row) Rogers.
Mr. Williams resided in his native land until 1866, when he determined to try his fortunes in the New World. After landing in this country he continued his journey to Wisconsin, and settled in Racine County, where he engaged in farming for a few years. He then pushed on toward the " setting sun," desiring to secure a home in the most desirable locality. He then came to Iowa, and, passing through Page County, determined that it was indeed the place he was seeking.
He bought 160 acres of wild land and made a settlement when the neighbors were few and the country was in a wild, uncultivated state. He had a will and an earnest desire to make a home of which he need never be ashamed, and as he prospered he invested in more land until he now owns 720 acres of rich farming land, and thirty-one acres of timber land. He has good buildings, stock scales, a modern windmill, and all the conveniences for extensive farming. The farm is well stocked with all the higher grades of cattle, hogs and horses; the land lies just one mile from Hepburn.
Mr. and Mrs. Williams are the parents of eight children: William John, James Courtney; Mary Anne married James Foster Dyke, and lives in Cowley County, Kansas; Emma Jane, wife of Ezra Fleenor; Caroline Anna, wife of Ed Bolen; Charles Augustus; Ernest Rogers and Millicent Grace. The parents and two daughters are members of the United Brethren Church, of which Mr. Williams has served as trustee and treasurer. He and his wife were reared in the Wesley an Methodist Church. Politically he affiliates with the Greenback party, and is a strong advocate of Prohibition. He has represented the people of his township as a member of the school board, discharging his duties with entire satisfaction to the public. He has assisted in the upbuilding of the community, has been a great success in his business, and is a thorough, reliable farmer.

GEORGE B. WARNER, one of the progressive and successful farmers of Pierce Township, traces his ancestry to sturdy Welsh stock. His great-grandfather was a soldier in the Revolutionary war, and his father, Walter Warner, was a farmer in Weth-[page 732]ersfield, Connecticut. He married a Miss Cheeney, and to them were born five children: Frederick W., Lucy, Mary, Elizabeth and Josephine. The mother of these children died, and Mr. Warner married Sarah Tucker, and five children were born of this union: George W., Martha, Wilbur, Olin and one child who died in infancy. In 1836 Mr. Warner removed to Winnebago County, Illinois, and bought a section of land; he became independently wealthy. He was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church and was always interested in religious movements; he also held the various local offices and was a prominent man in the community. He died at the age of seventy years. His son Frederick was born at Wethersfield, Connecticut, and received his education in the common schools of that day. He was but a lad when his father removed to Illinois, where he grew to manhood. He married Permelia Birdsall, daughter of Benjamin and Abbie (Aekley) Birdsall, and of this union eight children have been born: George B., Ella A., Emma, Frederick W., Abbie M., Mary P., Harriet J. and Alfred C. After his marriage Mr. Warner settled near the old homestead in Illinois, and there he is still living. He owns 800 acres of land in Winnebago County, and about 7,000 acres of ranch land in Texas; 2,400 acres of this is fenced and stocked with cattle, and the rest is stocked with sheep. Mr. Warner and his wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and for many years he has held the offices of trustee and steward. He has represented the people of his township in many of the local offices and ranks with the first citizens of his county.
George B. Warner, son of Frederick and Permelia (Birdsall) Warner, was born in Winnebago County, Illinois, where he received a common-school education; when he was old enough to work on the farm he was trained to the details of agriculture. In 1872 he married Ada Blair, a daughter of Alva and Mary (Winnegar) Blair. To them have been born three children: Clemie B., Bertha B. and A. DeLos. In 1875 Mr. Warner removed to Page County, Iowa, and purchased 160 acres of land; he has been prosperous in all his enterprises and has added to his first purchase until he now owns 320 acres in Pierce Township, one of the most fertile sections of Page County. The farm is well improved with excellent buildings and is a desirable home. Both Mr. Wainer and his wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He is a man of an active, energetic temperament, and of unusual business qualifications. Although his father is a wealthy man he has by his own efforts accumulated his present property. The Warner family trace their origin directly to the Pilgrim Fathers, and they easily rank among the leading families of Page County.


JOHN W. GIBSON, one of the intelligent and enterprising farmers of Colfax Township, has been a resident of Page County since 1865. He was born in Putnam County, Indiana, December 11, 1852, and is a son of James and Emily (Moss) Gibson. His father, one of the honored citizens of Page County, is now deceased; the mother still survives and resides in Blanchard. When John W. was two years old his parents removed to Appanoose County, Iowa, where he spent his early youth; in 1865 the family came to Page County, and settled in Harlan Township, five miles southwest of Clarinda; there John was trained to the occupation of farming; he is the ninth of a family of ten children. March 14, 1876, he was united in marriage at College Springs, Iowa, to Miss [page 733] Anna M. Elgin, a daughter of James and Eliza (Calhoon) Elgin. Mrs. Gibson was educated at College Springs, although her birthplace was Indiana County, Pennsylvania. After she had left school she engaged in the profession of teaching and was very successful.
In 1878 Mr. Gibson located on his present farm of eighty acres, within a mile and a half of Blanchard. The view of the village from his residence is beautiful, and his dwelling, surrounded by an orchard and a luxuriant grove, presents a delightful scene. All the improvements are of a modern type, and thrift and prosperity are visible on every hand. A specialty of the dairy business is made on the Gibson farm, and has been very successfully conducted. The family consists of four children: Delbert Clare, Ola E., J. C. and Rena A.
Politically Mr. Gibson is identified with the Prohibition branch of the Republican party. He is an active member of the United Presbyterian Church of Blanchard, as is also his wife; he has served as an elder, and as treasurer, secretary and superintendent of the Sabbath-school. He has been a faithful worker in the cause of his Master, and will certainly reap his reward. He has won many warm friends since his residence in Page County.


ROBERT A. TURNBULL, who lives on section 12, Washington Township, has been a resident of Page County since 1870. His grandfather, Alexander Tnrnbull, was a native of Scotland, and his father, Robert Turnbull, was born in the same country. His mother's maiden name was Margaret Graham, and she was born in the same country as her husband.   After their marriage the parents removed to Canada, but in 1838 they came to the United States and settled in Stark County, Illinois, where they were among the pioneers. Chicago was their nearest wheat market, and Mr. Turnbull hauled his crop to that point, 150 miles distant, with an ox team. They reared a family of eight children, of whom Robert A. is the sixth. They were worthy members of the United Presbyterian Church, and lived to the end of their days in Stark County.
Robert A. Turnbull, their son, was born November 22, 1841, in Stark County, Illinois, where he grew to manhood. He was reared to farm life and received his education in the pioneer schools of his native State. He enlisted June 12, 1861, in Company B, Nineteenth Illinois Volunteer Infantry. He was mustered into the service June 17, 1861, and was first under fire at Pilot Knob, Missouri. The most noted battles, in which he participated were Stone River, Chickamauga and Mission Ridge; he received a gunshot wound, by which he was confined in the field hospital some time. He enlisted as a private, but was discharged as Orderly Sergeant July 9, 1864. He returned to his home in Stark County, Illinois, and September 1, 1864, he was united in marriage to Rebecca Montooth, a daughter of Samuel Montooth, who was a native of Ireland. Mrs. Turnbull was born, reared, and educated in Philadelphia. Her father removed to Illinois and lived the remainder of his days in Stark County; the mother is still living, a resident of Bradford, Illinois.
Mr. Turnbull, as before stated, removed from Stark County, Illinois, to Page County, Iowa, in 1870. He first purchased 160 acres of land, to which he has since added eighty more; the land is rich and fertile, and is well improved with good, substantial buildings.   He gives special attention to the care [page 734] of live-stock; he owns a thoroughbred Norman horse, cattle of good grades, and a valuable flock of sheep. One of the best groves in the township adorns the Turnbull farm; it consists of two and a half acres of black walnut trees and two and a half acres of Cottonwood and maple trees.
Mr. and Mrs. Turnbull are the parents of eight children: Samuel J., Eliza A., wife of John Gibb; Henry R., Ida R., Birdie D., Victoria N., George H., and Margaret Jane. Politically Mr. Turnbull is identified with the Republican party. He has filled the oifice of assessor, and has been a member of the school board, discharging the duties of both positions with credit to himself. He is a member of Page Post, No. 65, G. A. R., at Coin, Iowa. He is a man yet in the prime of life, and is numbered among the successful and progressive farmers of the county.


ANDERSON BROS.—T. A. and J. C. Anderson, proprietors of the Livery, Feed, and Sale Stables of Blanchard, are the pioneer horse dealers in the village, having established their business in October, 1881. They keep a good selection of vehicles, and their horses are not surpassed in any place of the same size. They are well equipped to serve the public, and merit the substantial patronage they have received. They also own a good livery barn at Westboro, Missouri, which is in charge of a brother, W. C. Anderson. The brothers are old settlers of Page County, having been residents since 1867.
T. A. Anderson was born in Shelby County, Ohio, August 14,1852, and is a son of Joseph and Lydia A. (Spence) Anderson, natives of the " Buckeye" State. The family removed to Page County, Iowa, in 1867, and settled near College Springs; the parents remained there until 1879 when they moved to Pawnee County, Nebraska; the mother died July 7, 1889, and the father still makes his home there. They reared a family of twelve children, of whom T. A. is the oldest. He was trained to the occupation of farming, and was also taught the management of horses in his early youth. He was married February 15, 1877, to Miss M. L. Kempton, a daughter of Joseph and Eliza Kempton, who are now residing in Loveland, California. Three children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Anderson: Oliver A., Earl and Ethel Maud. Politically Mr. Anderson affiliates with the Republican party. He has been called to fill the office of Constable for seven years, and has been Marshal of Blanchard for three years. He is a member of the United Workmen. He is especially fitted for his business, and is a great favorite with travelers.
J. C. Anderson, the junior member of the firm of Anderson Bros., is one of the energetic and progressive business men of Blanchard. He was born in Shelby County, Ohio, in July, 1855. When he was a lad of twelve years the family removed to College Springs, Iowa, where he received his education. For the past ten years he has been engaged in the live-stock trade, and has superior qualifications for the business. He is genial and frank of disposition, and has a host of friends throughout the county. For years he was with John Bowers, a prominent stockman, now deceased, and at one time was his partner.

[page 736]

H.P. PETERSON was born over the sea in Denmark, March 1, 1838, and is a son of Peter and Anna (Peterson) Hanson. According to an old custom, instead of taking the name of his father, Hanson, he has the name of Peterson, meaning son of Peter. He was reared to farm life in his native land and attended the common schools of that country until he was fourteen years of age. When he was twenty-two years of age he was married to Minnie Knudsen, one of his own countrywomen. Three years after his marriage he determined to make a home in the new world. Accordingly, he and his brave young wife bade farewell to the scenes of their childhood, and sailed away, landing at Quebec, Canada; they proceeded thence by way of Detroit, Michigan, and Chicago to Moline, Illinois, where Mr. Peterson worked as a day laborer at whatever presented itself. He had a strong will and was true to his purpose; by diligence and economy he saved enough of his earnings to invest in land, and in 1870 he came to Page County and bought eighty acres of raw prairie land and set about the task of placing it under cultivation. Since that time—" fortune favors the brave"—he has been able to add another eighty acres to his first purchase, and he now has one of the best farms in the township. His residence, built after a modern style of architecture, in 1884, at a cost of $2,000, is one of the most attractive homes in the country: it is surrounded by fruit and evergreen trees, and possesses all the comforts of a well furnished home. The buildings erected for the care of live-stock and grain are commodious and well-planned, and all the surroundings show the thrift and good management of the owner. The orchard and grove cover five acres, and are no small feature of a rural home.
By his first marriage Mr. Peterson had nine children, six of whom are living: Hannah, Anna, William, Julia, Minnie and Victor. The mother of this family died November 13, 1880, and Mr. Peterson was married in July, 1881, to Miss Bertha Printz, a native of Sweden.


GEORGE E. REED, a prominent and respected member of the farming community of Valley Township, has been a resident of Page County since 1868. He is a native of Canada, born near the falls of Niagara, October 29, 1836. His father, Joshua Reed, was a native of the State of New York, of Scotch-Irish ancestry; he married Elizabeth Alward, a native of Canada, whose parents were of English and German extraction. When George E. was six months old his parents removed to the State of New York, and settled near Canandaigna, where they lived five years and a half; they moved thence to Knox County, Ohio, and at the end of four years we find them located in Calhoun County, [page 737] Michigan; there our subject grew to manhood, passing through all the trials and difficulties of clearing a farm in a timbered section. His education was necessarily limited, being acquired in a primitive school-house by the woods.
When Mr. Reed was twenty-four years of age he was united in marriage to Miss Jane Kimball, a daughter of Abraham and Marilla (Hamilton) Kimball, natives of Pennsylvania and New Xork. In 1868 he came to Iowa, making the journey by teams and covered wagons. The country was new and wild, and during the twenty-two years of his residence here Mr. Reed has witnessed a wonderful development, in which he has assisted to the best of his ability. He has improved one of the best farms in the neighborhood, consisting of 160 acres; the buildings are of modern style and substantial; the residence is surrounded by a grove and an orchard, and the evidences of prosperity are seen on every hand.
Mr. and Mrs. Reed have had born to them two daughters: Blanche and Maud, successful and popular teachers, and a son, Carroll, who died when ten years old. The family are lovers of law and order, and zealously support all measures tending to elevate the moral standing of the community in which they are honored and esteemed citizens.


MRS. ELIZABETH A. HALL is a woman of prominence in her community on account of her extraordinary pioneer experiences and her superior business ability. She furnishes us with another example of what a woman can accomplish when placed in a position to call out the best and strongest traits of character. John F. Hall, her husband, was the son of James C. Hall, native of Russell County, Kentucky, and a blacksmith by trade; the mother's maiden name was Mahala Brierly, and the family consisted of live children, who grew to maturity: Wesley, John F., Martha A., Samuel, and Pleasant, who died in the army. Mr. Hall came with his son, John F., to Iowa, in 1851, settling first in Jefferson County; at the end of four years they removed to Page County, where the father died in 1865.
John F. Hall was reared to agricultural pursuits, but he received a good education so that he engaged in teaching. In 1851 he was united in marriage to Miss Elizabeth Goodman, one of his pupils, who was a daughter of John W. and Nancy (Blankenship) Goodman. Two children were born of this union: Thomas A. and James E. After his marriage Mr. Hall removed to Jefferson County, and resided there until 1854; he then went to Montgomery County, and at the expiration of two years he settled on the farm in Page County, which is now occupied by his widow and children; it consists of 120 acres of fine land; a beautiful grove adorns the place, adding value as well as comfort. Mr. Hall and his wife were members of the Christian Church. He was a kind father, a loving husband, and a zealous Christian, having the respect of the entire community. The people of his township attested their confidence in him by calling him to fill the office of assessor. During the war he was a strong Union man, and was a stanch Republican. For twenty years before his death he was an invalid, which affliction was a great trial to him, on account of the hardships to which it subjected his wife. He was a good manager, and with the aid of his wife and little boys he kept out of debt, improving his farm, and laying by a little each year. He was a man of high moral principles and great integrity [page 738] of character. . He was called from the suffering of this life February 18, 1881.
Elizabeth A. Hall was born in Russell County, Kentucky, March 20, 1833; she is a well preserved woman for her years. Through all the twenty years of her husband's illness she attended to his many needs, did her own work in the house, carded wool and spun it for the clothing of the family, and sold cloth besides. She sheared her own sheep because she was not able to hire help; she worked with her boys at the farm labor, encouraging them by her presence as much as by her actual help. Such a record deserves a place in the history of the Revolutionary women of America. The story told in Mrs. Hall's plain simple manner savors of genuine heroism. The children of such a mother may take a just pride in preserving the record of such a career.
Since her husband's death Mrs. Hall has lived on the farm, and has continued the management of the business. She is entirely out of debt. Her son, Thomas A., married Ellen Runkles, and three children were born to them: Llewyllen, Alice Isabel and Thomas Owen. The mother died when the youngest was two weeks old, and Mrs. Hall has taken these children to her own home and has given them a mother's loving care: James E. Hall married Nettie Eslinger, and they have had born to them, seven children: Jesse E., Maggie, John Walter, Iona, Thomas, Edna and Blanch. Jesse E. was shot through the abdomen by a Swede boy, but his life was saved by the scientific skill of physicians.


W. P. LOVE, of the firm of Love & Wheeler, at Coin, was born in York County, Pennsylvania, July 1,1852, and is the son of J. J. T. Love and Sarah (Morgan) Love. His grandfather was James Love, great-grandfather James, and great-great grandfather Thomas. They were all born in Chester County, Pennsylvania. The father of the last mentioned came from the north of Ireland in 1740, settling in Chester County. The subject's grandmother's maiden name was Elizabeth Thomson, and her mother's name was Guthrie, and the Guthries came from the north of Ireland about the same time. When he was seven years old the parents of the subject of this sketch decided to cast their fortunes along with many others who were emigrating to the Western States. They removed to Illinois, and remained there six years, and then came to Coin, Page County, Iowa, where our subject has since resided. He has been trained to agricultural pursuits, and obtained a fair education at College Springs.
When in his twentieth year he entered the employ of D. R. Pollock, of College Springs, as clerk in a general store, and followed this calling for eight years. In 1879 he went to Mission Creek, Nebraska, and embarked in the general merchandise business, in which he continued one year. At the expiration of this time he returned to Page County and entered into partnership with D. R. Pollock, his former employer, in the general merchandise business at Coin; this establishment was in existence until 1884, when Mr. Love went to Clarinda, remaining there one year, engaged as a clerk. After his return to Coin he formed a partnership with W. H. Wheeler, with whom he is still associated. They occupy a roomy building having a depth of seventy-four feet, and carry a fullline of goods; in the beginning they carried a stock of $6,000 but have since increased it to $12,000, and are doing an annual business of $35,000.
Mr. Love owns the finest residence in Coin, [page 739] and is one of the leading citizens. Politically he is identified with the Republican party, and has served the people of his town officially as a member of the council.
January 24, 1877, occurred the marriage of W. P. Love and Henrietta Foster, a daughter of Matthew and Mary (Leslie) Foster, and a native of Illinois. They are the parents of four children: Grace A., Artie C, Earle T. and Ray F.
Our subject and his wife are worthy mem bers of the United Presbyterian Church, and no one in the community stands higher in the estimation of the people.

HENRY HAMILTON, one of the extensive land owners of Page County, will next claim our attention in this biographical record. He was born in county Tyrone, Ireland, sixty years ago, and is a son of George and Rachel Alice (Hughey) Hamilton, who are also natives of the fair " Emerald Isle." The mother died at the birth of Henry, so that he has ever been debarred a mother's love and care, and his father died three months afterward. When he was a lad of fifteen years the spirit of adventure urged him to try his fortunes in a new land. Accordingly he embarked for America, and after landing he settled in Chester County, Pennsylvania. There he remained nine years, employed as a teamster. He learned the carpenter's trade in Philadelphia, and worked at that a portion of his time. In the spring of 1856 he removed to Peoria County, Illinois; in a little while he went to Stark County, Illinois, and engaged in farming.
Mr. Hamilton was united in marriage September 24, 1857, to Miss Isabelle McDonnell, who was born in county Donegal, Ireland, a daughter of John and Isabelle (Taylor) McDonnell. He remained in the State of Illinois until 1870, when he came to Page County, Iowa. He first bought 160 acres of wild land and was one of the first settlers in his neighborhood. He endured many of the privations of pioneer life, and
the task of placing his land under cultivation was not a light one.   He was very successful, however, and as his means increased he added to his first purchase, and now owns 500 acres, in Page and Atchison counties, of as fine land as can be found. Just across the road he has a roomy, comfortable dwelling, where he enjoys with his family many of the comforts and luxuries of life. He has planted seven acres of grove, and has miles of osage orange fence dividing his farm into different fields and separating it from adjoining lands.
Mr. and Mrs. Hamilton have had seven children born to them: William B., Henry T., George J., Martha J., wife of Miles Rouse; Joseph, Mary Alice, and Isabella, who died in infancy. The parents were both reared in the faith of the Episcopal Cbu,ch. In politics Mr. Hamilton affiliates with the Democratic party. He is a man honorable in all his dealings, and has the respect of all who know him.


GUST YOUNGGREN, one of the substantial farmers of Fremont Township, was born in Sweden, May 3, 1842, and is a son of Neils P. Swanson, but by a Swedish custom he did not take his father's name, adopting that of Younggren.   Mr. Swanson was a farmer and the father of six children who lived to maturity: Gust, Johan, Emil, Lettie, Malbomb and Emma, twins.   He was a worthy member of the Lutheran Church. Gust  Younggren, the son of Neils [page 740] Swanson, was reared a farmer and received a limited education. He remained in his native land until he was twenty-four years of age, and then determined to seek the fortune that might be in store for him in the New World. Accordingly he bade farewell to the scenes of his childhood and sailed away to the United States. He landed at Castle Garden, New York, and thence came to Andover, Illinois, where he secured employment with an uncle, C. G. Gustavson; after the first year he rented his land and was very successful and happy in his new home. Believing this country to be all that heart could desire, he sent to Sweden for the maiden who had promised to be his wife; her name was Erama Peterson, and she is the daughter of Peter Johnson, who died in Sweden when she was yet an infant. Four children have been born of this union: John Emil, Charles Gust, Andrew Luther and Ellen Amanda.
In 1871 Mr. Younggren came to Page County, Iowa,and settled on his present farm, which consists of 160 acres; it was then wild land entirely without improvements, but has been placed under good cultivation; he has added to his first purchase until he owns 400 acres of fine farm land. It has every modern improvement and convenience for the purpose of agriculture; a large residence, after a late style of architecture, has been erected by Mr. Younggren. It has been through industry and economy alone that he has accumulated his property, as he had nothing when he came to this country but willing hands and a determination to make the most of the opportunities offered to the ambitious, energetic young man. He and his wife are both members of the Swedish Lutheran Church at Nyman, Iowa, to which Mr. Younggren was a liberal contributor; he was on the board of trustees at the time the church was erected. He has always taken an interest in the educational affairs of his adopted country, and has served his township as school director. He is one of a large class of Swedish-American citizens who by their industry and integrity have made a home and a reputation in this country, where many native born men with more favorable opportunities have failed.


AUGUST PATTERSON, like many of his countrymen, bade farewell to Sweden's pine-clad hills in his youth, and embarked for America in search of the fortune which her vast resources brought within the reach of the ambitious and energetic. He was only eighteen years of age when he located in Jamestown, Chautauqua County, New York, where he resided four years. He is a son of Charles Peterson, a land owner and farmer in Sweden, who married Anna Christiana Peterson. Five children were born of this union: John, Sarah E., Anna M., Charles J. and August. The father lived on his farm all his life, dying at the age of eighty-one years. He and his wife were worthy members of the Lutheran Church; she lived to the great age of ninety-three years.
August Patterson, when he left his beloved Sweden, carried with him no supplies of gold or silver, but a bountiful stock of determination to succeed in his undertaking, a capital more to be desired ofttimes than the richest stores from the mine. He was engaged in various industries in New York and Pennsylvania, until 1856, when he went to Saint Paul, Minnesota, and thence to the pineries. He afterward spent some time in Missouri, but finally settled in Henry County, Illinois, in 1860; four years later he bought eighty acres of land. There he was united in marriage to Miss Mary Anderson, daughter of Swan Anderson, a native of Sweden and a [page 741] farmer by occupation; she belongs to a family of eight children, and in 1862 she bade them all good-bye, and came to America with friends.
Mr. Patterson lived in Henry County until 1871, when he removed to Iowa and settled in Fremont Township, Page County. He purchased 160 acres, and now owns 200 acres of choice farming land. He has made excellent improvements and has established a nice, comfortable home. All these results have been brought about through his own persevering energy, aided by his estimable wife. They are both members of the Lutheran Church, to which they have made most liberal contributions.
Mr. and Mrs. Patterson are the parents of three children: Emil G., Frank O. and Selma C, who are being well educated in the common schools and in the college at Shenandoah.
Since his residence in this country Mr. Patterson has made a most honorable record, of which his fellow-countrymen may well be proud, and which many native born citizens would do well to imitate.

S.F. SNIDER, ex-County Judge.— The subject of this biographical notice was the second county judge elected in Page County. He is still living and has been able to furnish the author with the following facts concerning his eventful life. He was born in Grayson County, Kentucky, June 10, 1808. His father died when he was three years old and soon afterward his mother removed with the family to Hardin County, of the same State. There he remained until he was married in the month of June, 1829, to Nancy Bland, a native of Kentucky.   Six children were born of this union: Sarah E., Mary, Jane, Jonathan B., Emily and E. G.
In 1839 the Judge removed with his family to Missouri and located in Nodaway County, where he resided two years. In 1841 he went to the Tarkio country and thence came to Page County; here he has been one of the pioneers to lay the foundation of the present success and development of the county. He was an early county judge, and an early merchant; he removed to Montgomery County, and returned and was the first settler in Lincoln Township, and was among the pioneers of Valley Township. He met with a severe loss by the burning of his residence and his store building and office at Clarinda in January, 1858. At one time he removed to Kansas, where he was honored with numerous offices; thence he went to Colorado, where he still resides. He is a man of sound judgment and excellent ability.

GUST. WENSTRAND is another of the many natives of Sweden who adopted a different name from his father's on coming to this country. His father's name was Peter Munson, and he was a farmer by occupation, living in Smolen, Sweden. He married Mary Peterson, and to them were born six children: Nels M., Daniel J., Ann, Gust., Carl P. and Andrew E. The father died in Sweden, at the age of forty-eight years. He and his wife were worthy members of the Lutheran Church. He was very successful in his farming operations, owning two large tracts of land, and leaving a handsome estate to his children.
His son, Gust. Wenstrand, was born in Smolen, Sweden, November 8, 1829, and ob-[page 742]tained his education in the common schools of his native land.   He was reared to the occupation of a farmer.   Arriving at man's estate he was united in marriage to Anna Christianson, a daughter of Swan Hendrickson, and they had five children born to them: Christian E., S. P. Alfred, Mary E., Charles A. and Tillie H.   Mr. Wenstrand owns a large farm in Sweden, consisting of 1,000 acres; it was rough, stony land, heavily timbered, so that it was a herculean task to convert it into farming land.   As a recognition of his great labor, the King of Sweden presented him with a silver medal, the ceremony of presentation being conducted at the church of his nativity.   On one face of the metal is a fine portrait of the King, with this inscription: " Carl XV, Sweriges Norr. Goth och Yend Kounng."   On the reverse  side is this inscription: " Af Kong Patriotiska Sallskapet at Swen Gustaf  Peterson Hultasa for beromlig Odlingsflit."    The medal is finely executed and is of solid silver, somewhat larger than our silver dollar.   It is indeed a treasure and will be handed down as a precious heirloom as long as there is a descendant of Gust. Wenstrand.   In 1868 Mrs. Wenstrand died, and two years later Mr. Wenstrand emigrated with his family to America, having disposed of his property. He settled in Fremont Township, Page County, on his present farm, which consists of 145 acres of choice land, that he considers of more real value to him than all his extensive lands in Sweden.
On August 28, 1871, Mr. Wenstrand was married to Mary E. Anderson, daughter of Andrew Person. Her mother's maiden name was Christine Johnson, and both parents lived and died in Sweden.
Mr. and Mrs. Wenstrand are the parents of two children: Anna C. and Hilma E., both attending school.   Our worthy subject has assisted very liberally in the building and support of the Swedish Lutheran Church. He was also a founder and pillar of the Lutheran Church before the building of the Mission Church, as he wished it to be free fur the preaching of the Gospel by all evangelists. He is a man of broad and liberal views, laboring for the good of the community in which he lives. He is recognized as a sincere, consistent Christian, and is thoroughly respected by all who know him.


JOHN MASCH, one of the reliable farmers of Page County, is an American by adoption, having been born in Holstein, Germany, in 1850. His father, John H. Masch, was also a native of Germany, and a prosperous contractor;  he began life as a cabinet maker in the city of Kiel, Germany, then a place of 12,000 inhabitants, but now containing 100,000 people; he was a conscientious, industrious worker, and finally became a contractor, acquiring a fortune in the business. He was the father of four children: Henry, Caroline, Mary and John.   Henry settled on a farm in the State of Illinois; the two daughters married and remained in Germany; Mary is since deceased.
John Masch, the subject of this notice, bade farewell to his native land in 1868, and sailed away to America, filled with a desire to make a home in the " land of the free and the home of the brave." He located on a farm in Henry County, Illinois, where he resided until 1874, in which year he came to Iowa, and settled on his present farm in Page County, which is well improved in every particular. In 1873 he was united in marriage to Mary E. Wilkie, a daughter of William and Ann Eliza (Edgar) Wilkie. William Wilkie was born in county Londonderry, [page 743] Ireland, in 1821, of Scotch-Irish parents. He came to America when a young man and followed agricultural pursuits in Pennsylvania a number of years; he removed to Illinois, and thence to Page County, Iowa, where he passed the remainder of his days. He was in comfortable circumstances and gave his children a good education. The family consisted of Mary E., Nettie, Sadie, Harry, Anna and Clara.
Mr. and Mrs. Masch are the parents of four children: Anna M., Mary E., Maude and Osmund L. The mother is a member of the United Presbyterian Church. Mr. Masch is an intelligent, practical business man of means, and is now engaged in buying and selling farms and loaning money on real-estate security. He and his family are an honor to the community in which they reside.