Biographical History of Page County, Iowa, Lewis & Dunbar Publishers, 113 Adams Street, Chicago, Illinois, 1890

[transcribed by Pat O'Dell: ]


[page 711]E. C. DAMEWOOD has been a resident of Page County since his early boyhood. He was born in Knox County, Tennessee, March 13, 1847. His father, Isaac Damewood was a prominent early settler of Page County, and one of the pioneer sheriffs. He married Elizabeth McFerrin, and they are now residents of Harlan Township. When our subject was six months old his parents removed to Dubois County, Indiana, where they remained until 1857; thence they removed to Taylor County, Iowa, and two years later to Page County, Iowa. They settled in Nebraska Township, near Hawleyville, and there young Damewood grew to manhood. He was reared to the occupation of a farmer and received his education in the primitive, pioneer schools. In 1869 he went to, Fremont County, Iowa, where he remained three years, coming back at the end of that time to Page County.   For six years he was engaged in farming in Grant Township, and in 1878 he came to Washington Township, and settled on eighty acres of prairie land that had been partly improved; some land had been broken and there was a rude shanty. Mr. Damewood has been true to his mission and has succeeded in establishing a desirable home. He has replaced the pioneer dwelling with a neat, modern structure, has planted a grove and an orchard, and has all the necessary buildings for the care of live-stock.
Mr. Damewood was united in marriage in Taylor County, Iowa, in August, 1867, to Miss Eleanora Harris, who has in every way proved a worthy helpmate. She is a native of Hamilton County, Ohio, and a daughter of James and Martha Harris, also natives of Ohio. She was eight years old when her parents removed to Des Moines County, Iowa, and seven years later they went to Taylor County, Iowa. Six children have been born of this union: Eva, Edwin G., Isaac B. and three who died in infancy. Politically Mr. Damewood is identified with the Republican party, and he is a strong and radical one. He has served as trustee of his township with great credit to himself and to the best interests of the public. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church of Coin, Iowa, and has been steward of the same; his wife and children are also members of the same society. He has ever taken an active interest in the welfare of his community and has assisted in the promotion of education and religion.


H. EHLERS was born beyond the sea, in Holstein, Germany, October 25,1838, and is a son of H. Ehlers. His mother's maiden name was Margaret Westphall and she belonged to a prominent German family. [page 712] Our subject received the superior education which Germany bestows upon all her children. After finishing the public school course he attended college three years. He then engaged in farming and a few years later in buying and shipping live-stock to the London markets, and transacted a large and profitable business; but a failure in the stock market about the close of the civil war in America brought him some reverses. He set out for London and secured a situation as salesman with a leading stock firm; the foggy climate in London, however, was not agreeable to him and he embarked for America, landing in the city of New York; he went to Richmond, Virginia, and was engaged in any occupation with which he could earn an honorable living; he spent some time in the cities of Norfolk, Virginia; New Orleans, Louisiana, and Memphis, Tennessee; near the last named place he took charge of a cotton plantation; while there he suffered from a long and severe illness and came North to recover his health, locating at Eau Claire, Wisconsin, and engaged in the lumber business: he afterward obtained a situation with a prominent lumber firm, Ingram & Kenedy.
Mr. Ehlers was united in marriage, in April, 1874, to Miss Ottilie Eatzman, a native of Prussia, Germany, and a daughter of August and Rosa (Otto) Kitzman. Immediately after his marriage Mr. Ehlers removed to Davenport, Iowa, and embarked in the lumber trade. Four months later he secured employment as steamboat clerk on a vessel plying between St. Paul, Minnesota, and Burlington, Iowa; he was soon promoted to the position of captain, which he held for seven years.
In December, 1881, he came to Page County and settled on his farm, which consists of 240 acres; the land is under good cultivation and the improvements are first­class in every respect. Mr. Ehlers devoted a greater portion of his time to the feeding of live-stock, and has been very successful. He also owns several thousand acres of valuable pine land in Arkansas.
Mr. and Mrs. Ehlers are the parents of four children, two of whom died in infancy; those living are Otto and Rudolph. Our esteemed subject is a stanch Democrat. He was reared to the Lutheran faith. He has traveled extensively both in the United States and Europe, and is a well informed man.

C. A. NORDHOLM, a respected citizen of Colfax Township, is an American by adoption, having been born among the pine-clad hills of Sweden, December 26, 1849, a son of G. A. and Mary (Jonason) Nordholm, natives of Sweden. His father died during his infancy, but his mother still lives and resides in her native land. Until fourteen years of age our subject attended the public schools of his country; he passed the remainder of his youth at farm work. At the age of twenty years he bade fare­well to the scenes of his childhood, his relatives and friends, and sailed away to America in search of his fortune, which exists in the mind of every hopeful youth. He embarked at Guttemberg, and came to Henry County, Illinois, where he had an uncle residing. At the end of a few months he removed to Stark County, Illinois, and lived there until 1877.
Mr. Nordholm was married February 27, 1877, to Miss Betty Jonason, who was also a native of Sweden. A short time after his marriage he came to Page County, Iowa, and located on section 18, Colfax Township; he lived here four years and devoted his energies to the improvement of his land, which he sold and purchased his present [page 713] farm. He erected his residence in 1887; it is a two-story and a half house, built in a modern style of architecture, and situated in the midst of a charming lawn, dotted here and there with shade and evergreen trees. The farm consists of 140 acres of rich, fertile land, lying in the Tarkio creek valley, and the evidences of thrift and wise management are seen on every hand.
Mr. and Mrs. Nordholm are the parents of one child, John Albert, born June 29, 1879.
Politically Mr. Nordholm is a Republican of a pronounced type.


PETER A. GRIFFEY, an honored resident of Tarkio Township, is one of the old pioneers of Page County. He was born in North Carolina, September 12,1825, and is a son of Benjamin and Mary (Glandon) Griffey, who removed when he was a child of three years to Campbell County, Tennessee. There he passed his childhood and youth, and at the age of nineteen years he located in Platte County, Missouri, where he resided until he came to Page County, in 1852.
Mr. Griffey was united in marriage, November 1, 1846, to Miss Duly Ann Loy, a native of Anderson County, Tennessee, and a daughter of William and Duly (Hill) Loy. When he first came to Page County it was wild, raw prairie with few settlers; there was no Clariuda in that day, and Mr. Griffey kept the stage station for several years. Sometimes the little inn was taxed to its utmost capacity, as there would be thirty guests to be cared for over the night; but what was lacking in comforts was made up in genuine hospitality. Mr. Griffey bought his present farm in that early day, and still owns 297 acres of as rich land as lies within the borders of Page County; it is well watered by Tarkio Creek, and is thus especially adapted to stock-
Mr. and Mrs. Griffey have had born to them ten children, only five of whom are living at the present time: Lorenzo, Charles, Hulin, James, May. There are two grandchildren in the family, the mother of whom was a daughter of Mr. Griffey, Mary C. Holmes; the children's names are Arba and Albert,
Our subject is identified with the Democratic party, and is a stanch advocate of its principles. He is a man of strong convictions, and of that sturdy type of manhood which has made the West what we behold it to-day.


J.W. BREWER, now living on section 19, Tarkio Township, came to Page County in June, 1869, and since that time has been closely identified with the interests of the county. He was born in Washington County, Indiana, October 9, 1840, and is a sou of O. H. and Elvira (Westfall) Brewer, natives of North Carolina and Indiana respectively. In 1848 the Brewer family removed to Carroll County, Illinois, and were among the pioneers of the great prairie State. The mother died there, and the father removed to Page County, Iowa. A full biographical sketch of him appears on another page of this work.
Mr. Brewer was reared on his father's farm and obtained his education in the common schools of Carroll County, Illinois. He was united in marriage October 24, 1867, to Miss Angeline L. Westfall, a daughter of Daniel and Letha Westfall. The mother's maiden name was Stout and she was a native of the State of Kentucky. Mrs. Brewer was born in Clay County, Illinois, May 12, 1848, and [page 714] reared there. In 1869 our subject came to Tarkio Township, Page County, and purchased eighty acres of land, to which he has made additions from time to time until he now owns 200 acres, all of which is well improved. In 1877 he erected a good residence on a natural building site, and two years previously he built a commodious barn which affords ample protection to stock and grain. All the improvements are of a most substantial character, A good orchard has been planted which adds beauty as well as value to the farm.
Mr. and Mrs. Brewer are the parents of two children: Austin O., born December 17, 1874, and Lulu Mabel, born October 20,1886.
Politically Mr. Brewer is a Democrat. He has represented his township as a member of the school board and in other official positions. He is a man yet in the prime of life, is frank and cordial in manner, and has won a host of friends in the county.


WILLIAM McLEAN was born in Maryland, near the city of Baltimore, August 13, 1822, and is the son of William and Jane (Osborn) McLean, natives of Scotland. They had a family of three children, of whom William was the oldest. Until he was fourteen years old he lived on a farm, but at that time he went to Baltimore and for a time engaged as clerk in a feed store; he afterward went to learn the painter's trade, which he followed until 1863. He was but eleven years old when he was left to depend upon his own efforts for subsistence, and finally occupied the highest position in I. O. O. F. in the State of Maryland.
Mr. McLean was united in marriage, November 1, 1858, to Miss Eliza J. Lusk, daughter of John and Margaret (Keavins) Lusk, natives of York County, Pennsylvania. Eliza was the fourth of a family of seven children, and was born in Baltimore, February 15, 1831. After his marriage Our subject remained in Baltimore until 1863, when he removed to Page County, Iowa. He settled on a farm of eighty acres of partially improved land in Harlan Township, and made it his home until 1889. When he first came to the county he gave his entire attention to agricultural pursuits, but in 18T5 he engaged in the mercantile business in Shambaugh, opening a general store. He formed a partnership with T. J. Bracken, which existed four years, and after that he assumed entire control of the business. In 1882 he disposed of the stock and returned to his farm, where he passed the remainder of his days.   His death occured August 29, 1889.
In his death the family lost a kind and in­dulgent husband and father, and the county one of its most honored citizens. He was held in high esteem politically, socially, and religiously. He was a stanch Republican, and represented the county as a member of the board of county supervisors for six or seven years; served in most of the township offices and discharged his duties faithfully and well. When the great Rebellion broke out a company of artillery was organized and he was chosen Captain, but as his own family of young children were dependent upon him, as well as his brother's children, he felt it his duty to resign his position and remain behind to protect and care for the helpless. He always took an interest in the church, and was an active member of the United Presbyterian Church, having served as an elder ten years previous to his death. He was a lover of law and order, and vigorously supported all measures to keep a good reputation for the community in which he lived. His financial success in life was due to his own unaided [page 716] efforts, and he accumulated a handsome competence.
Mr. and Mrs. McLean had born to them two children: Maggie died in childhood, and William L., who was born October 11, 1861. There were four children by Mr. McLean's first marriage, all deceased.
William L. is a native of Baltimore, Maryland, and was brought to Iowa by his parents in his infancy. He has been reared in Page County, receiving his education in the public schools. In 1876 he entered his father's store as a clerk, and served in that capacity until 1882, when his father turned over the stock to him and C. T. Cox. The business was conducted under the firm name of McLean & Cox until 1886 ,when the stock was closed out. Mr. McLean was then employed in the postal service at Bedford, Taylor County, Iowa, for a period of two years. On account of ill health he was obliged to abandon his work, and since that time has devoted himself to agricultural pursuits. He was assistant Postmaster at Shambaugh for ten years, during which time his father held the office. He is also a stanch Republican, and is one of the young men of whom the county may well be proud.
Mr. McLean was married July 28, 1880, to Miss Emma J. Fitzgerald, a daughter of Edward and Adaline H. (Harris) Fitzgerald, natives of the State of New York. Mrs. McLean was born in Illinois, January 12, 1862. They are the parents of one child, Nellie I., who was born June 30, 1889.


SOLOMON F. BEERY, the oldest representative of the Beery family in Page County, is a son of Joseph and Anna F. Beery, natives of Ohio. The parents were reared in Ohio and moved to Adams County, Indiana, about the year 1843, where they resided until 1862.   He then came to Page County and located on a farm in East River Township, where he passed the rest of his life; his death occurred in the year 1887.
Both he and his wife were worthy members of the United Brethren Church.   She died in the summer of 1860.   There was a family of ten children by the first marriage of the father and five by the second.   Solomon is the third child and was born in Adams County, Indiana; there he lived until his fifteenth year, when the family removed to Page County, Iowa.
His educational advantages were very limited, but being a close observer he has obtained a fund of information that enables him to attend to any business that may devolve upon him.
Until nineteen years of age he made his home with his father, but two years previous to that time he began farming on his own account; his father had deeded him eighty acres of land on sections 33 and 29, East River Township, when he was but sixteen years old. This he improved and erected upon it a residence; he sold twenty acres and bought another eighty acres, and was engaged in farming until 1880.
At that time he determined to abandon agricultural pursuits and embark in the general merchandise business. Accordingly, he formed a partnership with Jacob Hamm, and they opened a general stock of merchandise in Shambaugh; the firm remained the same until 1888, when Mr. Beery bought his partner's interest and assumed full control. He carries a stock valued at from $1,600 to $2,000, and his annual sales will average $6,000. Politically he affiliates with no party, but casts his vote for the man he considers best qualified to fill the position. He has served as Justice of the Peace for two years.
Mr. Beery was united in marriage May 24, 1866, to Miss Mary Fruits, a daughter of [page 717] Sebastian and Matilda Fruits. She was born in East River Township, Page County, Iowa, November 20, 1847. Eight children have been born of this union : Lorenzo F., Joseph L., deceased; David M., Evalina, deceased; Earle, deceased; Anna M., Mary E., and Esta F.
Mr. and Mrs. Beery are worthy members of the Church of God, and are among the most respected residents of the county.


E. BENEDICT, dealer in musical instruments, pianos and organs, is one of the well-known and popular merchants of Page County. He is also proprietor of the Northboro livery barn. He was born in Venango County, Pennsylvania, in 1855, and is a son of Thomas Benedict, an ex-soldier in the civil war, and at present a resident of Shenandoah. The mother's maiden name was Elizabeth Johnson. When our subject was yet a child, his father emigrated to the West with his family, believing there he would find better opportunities to rear his children and give them a start in life. He first settled in Atchison County, Missouri, near the Page County line.
Mr. Benedict passed his youth in Atchison and Page counties, attending the public schools and working on the farm; he also attended the Normal schools, and by studying dilligently at home fitted himself for teaching. At the age of nineteen he entered the profession, and for a time was principal of the Blanchard school. He taught, in all, seventeen terms, and was very successful in this noble calling.
In 1878 Mr. Benedict was united in marriage with Miss Laura A. Winrott, a daughter of James Winrott, an ex-soldier of Northboro, Four sons have been born of this union: Worley W., Otho C, Ivin G. and Ermal H. Worley W. is a performer on the piano or organ, of unusual ability for a ten-year old lad.
Mr. Benedict is a member of State Line Lodge, No. 429, I. O. O. F., at Blanchard. He belongs also to the Methodist Episcopal Church of Northboro,and is an active worker in the Sabbath school, having filled the office of superintendent a number of years. He is a man of superior business qualifications and is widely known throughout Page County; he has sold more musical instruments than any other one dealer within the limits of the county of Page. He is yet in the prime of life, and has many years of active usefulness before him.


MENTZER BROTHERS.—This, in some respects the leading firm of Shenandoah, is composed of T. J., P. H. and John Mentzer, who were born in Franklin County, Pennsylvania, May 8,1836, September 3, 1843, and February 10, 1851, respectively. Their parents were John and Nancy (Foreman) Mentzer, natives of the " Keystone " State. In 1854 the family came to Iowa and settled in Marion, Linn County, where the father died in 1881, at the asre of seventy-two years. His widow still survives him at Marion.
The Mentzers have been identified with the interests of Shenandoah since April 25, 1871, when Pat, as he is familiarly called, opened a grocery store. After two years, Benjamin F. Mentzer, of Marion, became interested, his brother John representing him. In 1875 T. J. became a partner and the firm has since continued in its present form. Since the business was first started in 1871 there has been no interruption, and by careful methods [page 718] and tenacity of purpose it has prospered until every wholesale grocer selling goods in the State seeks the trade of this reliable firm. There have been times as there have been in every man's life, and in the existence of every firm, when the outlook was not fair, but the Mentzer brothers acknowledge no defeat and keep steadily on; they have had the satisfaction of finding smooth sailing and a safe harbor.
The firm now carries a full line of groceries, crockery, queen sware, wooden ware and glassware, the stock occupying both floors and the basement of their fine brick block, erected in 1880, at a cost of $7,500. The members of the firm have ever been active in all the interests tending to their adopted home. They are now doing an annual business of $50,000, and in some years have exceeded this amount. They are the present proprietors of the Shenandoah Canning Factory, an institution that has been of much benefit to the town. The plant cost them about $15,000, and consists of two brick buildings, two preparation rooms, and an engine room. The capacity is about 1,000,000 cans per season. So far corn and tomatoes are the only vegetables used, but it is intended to use other staple farm products when the trade demands. The benefit to the town and surrounding country is incalculable, as corn and tomatoes are grown for the factory use bring much higher rates. The canning season requires 125 hands, and thus thousands of dollars are paid out for labor to those who would otherwise go elsewhere for support.
The educational institutions and churches of Shenandoah have found in this firm strong friends and faithful supporters. T. J. Mentzer was married to Miss Aliss Owens, and P. H. was married to Miss Odessa S. Owens, a sister of Mrs. T. J. Mentzer.
John was married to Miss Emma J. Myers, a native of Pennsylvania. All have comfortable homes, convenient to business, and are surrounded by pleasant families.
John Mentzer gives his personal attention to the accounts of the firm. He served twelve years as city recorder, and is at present the president of the school board, having been a member of the board for eight years.
P. H. Mentzer was a member of Company F, Twentieth Iowa Infantry, enlisting August 9, 1862, and was honorably discharged at Mobile, Alabama, July 8, 1865; was present at the siege and surrender of Vicksburg, Mississippi, July 4, 1863; was at the siege and capture of Fort Morgan, Alabama, August 23, 1864, and at the siege and assault on Blakeley, Alabama, April 9, 1865.


HIRAM A. LYON is descended from an old family of English extraction who where early settlers in Rhode Island. His grandfather, Jabez Lyon, was a mere lad when the Revolutionary war began; he was at one time in the service of General Marion, caring for his horse, which was a very spirited steed and exceedingly intelligent; at one time he leaped a high wall with the boy on his back; and again when he was being ridden for exercise he suddenly stopped and refused to go further, when it was discovered that two British officers had appeared in the distance; the horse immediately became unmanageable, and wheeling went galloping back to camp, leaping fences in his way; there has been no further information in regard to the war record of Jabez Lyon, but it is probable that he became a soldier and fought through the war. It is known that he settled in Jefferson County, N»w York, on a farm where he lived until death; he was [page 719] a genial, old-time gentleman. Three children were born to him and his estimable wife: Alanson, Laws and Horace.
Alanson Lyon, the father of Hiram A., was born in Connecticut, and was reared to the occupation of a farmer. He married Olive Sloan, and seven children were born of this union: Varnum, Russel, Henry, Richard, Hiram A., Rebecca, and Sophia. The father also settled in Jefferson County, New York, where he passed the remainder of his days. He was a practical farmer and a man of excellent habits, industrious, frugal, and of good business qualifications.
Hiram A. Lyon, son of Alanson Lyon, and the subject of this notice, was born in the State of New York in the year 1819. Like his father he was trained in all the details of agriculture; he received an academical education and was engaged in teaching in New York. In 1843 he went to Brockville, Canada, and for four years he followed the profession of a teacher; he taught thirteen terms in Marshall County, Indiana, and made a record in his career as a teacher of which he may well be proud. No vocation commands a wider influence than that of a teacher and the large number of youth educated by Mr. Lyon forms a roll of honor unequalled by any other effort of his useful and busy life.
On September 16, 1845, he was united in marriage at Morristown, New Jersey, to Rebecca L. Seeley, of Brockville, Canada. Five children were born of this union: Cassius M., Charles E., Hiram W., Oren S. and Adlina A. The mother died March 9, 1856, in Marshall County, Indiana, and Mr. Lyon afterward married Susanna Ingle, a daughter of Mathias and Catherine (Burns) Ingle. They had two children born to them: Mary E., and Dora B., who died at the age of five years.
Mr. Lyon purchased a farm in Marshall County, Indiana, where he lived many years, and then removed to Page County, Iowa, and located on his present farm, which is nicely situated and well improved. In Indiana he held the office of township trustee and assessor. He has always taken an active interest in educational matters and has served as school director several terms. He has also filled the office of Justice of the Peace, discharging his duties with marked ability and to the satisfaction of the public. He is a man of decided character, of deep integrity, and has always lived a temperate and moral life; he has brought up his children to respect the same principles and to live according to them, thus winning the highest esteem of all who know him.


JOHN SNODDERLY, one of Tarkio Township's leading citizens, became identified with the history of Page County as early as 1853, and since that time has been one of the most reliable farmers in this section. He was born in Anderson County, Tennessee, November 2, 1836, and is a son of Nicholas Snodderly, one of Tarkio Township's old pioneers, whose history appears on another page of this volume. John was a lad of six years when in 1842 the family removed to Platte County, Missouri, where they resided until 1853. It was in that year that they settled in Tarkio Township, Page County, Iowa. John was then a youth of seventeen years, and being of an unusually social disposition he found the thinly settled country very monotonous and uncongenial; but as he was his father's main dependence he found plenty of work to occupy both mind and body.
During the late civil war he went to the front when there was a call for men to save this Union from disruption.   He enlisted in [page 720] August, 1862, in the Twenty-third Iowa Volunteer Infantry, Company F, and was in many hotly contested battles; the most noted engagements, in which he participated are the battles of Port Gibson, Champion Hill, the siege of Vicksburg, the Red River expedition, and the siege of Mobile. He was honorably discharged at Harrisburgh, Texas, July 26,1865, after which he returned to his home to engage in the more peaceful occupation of agriculture.
Mr. Snodderly was married April 20, 1871, to Miss Mary Kennett, a native of Monroe County, Indiana. She was eight or nine years of age when her parents, the Rev. Caleb and Susan (Handy) Kennett, removed to Decatur County, Iowa, where she grew to womanhood. Her mother was born in Virginia, and died July 4, 1883; her father is still living and makes his home in Valley Township, Page County. Mr. Snodderly settled on his present farm in 1871, having purchased the land as early as 1866; he has eighty-five acres of as good land as lies in Page County, and it is well improved with all the necessary buildings and modern conveniences; the residence is a neat structure, and is pleasantly located on a natural building site near a beautiful orchard and grove, which have been planted by the present owner. He devotes his time to general farming, and has been a success in all his undertakings.
Mr. and Mrs. Snodderly are the parents of two children: Mahala Frances, born August 5, 1878, and James W., who died in his thirteenth year.
Politically our subject is strongly in favor of the Republican party; he has been called to fill the office of trustee of the township, faithfully discharging all the duties of this position. He is a member of Warren Post, No. 11, G. A. R. He is a man of a frank, genial disposition, and of the highest integrity of character, and has won a host of friends in Page County.

ANNA HORNING, the widow of Jacob Horning, furnishes us with a remarkable example of what can be accomplished by a hard-working, practical woman. Jacob Horning was born in Hesse-Darmstadt, Germany, February 16, 1821, and is a son of Anthony and Katherine Margarethe Horning. His father emigrated to America in 1830, and settled in Chambersburgh, Pennsylvania. He was a man of some property, and was greatly respected by all who knew him.
Jacob Horning during his childhood had a desire to become a farmer, and at the age of twelve years he went to live on the farm of George Hoffman near Chambersburgh. At the age of twenty-one years he went to Franklin County, Ohio, and at the age of twenty-nine he was married to Miss Anna Good, a daughter of Joseph and Magdalena (Campbell) Good. The maternal ancestors came from Ireland, and there is a tradition that a large amount of property in Ireland belongs to the heirs of a brother and sister who were brought to this country by a stranger. Mr. and Mrs. Horning had twelve children born to them: Katherine, who died in infancy; John H., who married Hattie Butler; Abraham A., who married Hester Berry; Lydia J., Samuel, who married Fannie Gehman,  Jacob R., who married Tina -------; Annie E., who is
the wife of Benjamin Furgeson; Isaac and Leah, twins', Joseph, Henry and Sarah E. In 1853 Mr. Horning bought a farm in Franklin County, Ohio, where he lived until 1858. He then went to Allen County, Ohio, and located on a farm four and a half miles from [page 721] Lima; there he remained until 1864, and in that year he emigrated to Iowa and settled on the farm where his widow and children now reside. It consists of 302 acres of choice land, and is well improved in every respect. Both Mr. and Mrs. Horning were members of the Mennonite Church, and he died in the full faith and hope of a better life to come. He was a very industrious, economical young man, and labored earnestly to make a home for his family. He was quiet and unassuming in his manner and took no part in public affairs. He died March 25, 1873, aged fifty-two years, one month, and nine days. He was universally respected and was deeply mourned by his family and a wide circle of friends. He left a fine estate to his family and the heritage of an honorable life and an unsullied name.
After the death of her husband Mrs. Horning settled up the estate, and although she met with some reverses, she has been very successful in her dealings; she has brought up her children to habits of industry and economy and in the principles of the Christian religion, and she may well be praised for the excellent manner in which she has fulfilled her task.


JACOB BENDER has met with good success in business as the result of industry, perseverance, integrity and prudence. In 1871 he came to Shenandoah as a journeyman harness-maker, and after working at the bench for more than a year in the shop of John McComb, he purchased a half interest in the infantile business, in company with Ben Lake, another journeyman in the same'shop; he was then just able to pay for his half interest in the concern. The establishment stood on the ground now occupied by the present triple brick block, and was a very unpretentious affair. Success was theirs from the very beginning, and after the partnership had continued from May, 1872, until January, 1878, Mr. Lake retired and Mr. Bender became proprietor. In the twelve years since passed the business has proved exceedingly satisfactory, and the profits judiciously invested in business property have made Mr. Bender well off. He has always given his personal attention to the minutest detail of the business, and does so to the present day; not infrequently he is found with the apron on and the awl in hand at the bench, as in his journeyman days.
The handsome block in which is Mr. Bender's store was recently erected by him at a cost exceeding $6,000. It is 50 x 80 feet, the lower floor being cut into three roomv and well lighted store-rooms, in one of which is the postoffice; the second floor is arranged in suites of pleasant offices, and are desirable and convenient rooms. Two other fine brick stores belonging to Mr. Bender are among the best buildings in the next block in the heart of the town. He owns one of the most attractive homes in the town, located near the new Presbyterian church. Let no young man say there is no opening for him when so handsome a competency can be secured in years by diligence and application.
Jacob Bender was born in Alsace, France, August 8, 1842, and is a son of Jacob and Melinda (Godfried) Bender, who came to America when he was two years old and located near New Albany, Indiana. When he was eighteen years old he resolved to learn the harness-makers' trade, and for that purpose went to Louisville, Kentucky, where he entered the shop of Louis Nord, Sr., as an apprentice. He remained with him as apprentice and journeyman for eight years, aud for two years worked with Jacob Fink. In [page 722] 1871 he decided to come west, and he was soon after in St. Joe, Missouri, where he had a sister living; in his search for employment he was told that a workman was wanted at Shenandoah, and there he went at once with his recommendations and was soon at work.
Mr. Bender married Miss Louisa Goodyear from Louisville, Kentucky, on April 30,1874, at St. Joseph, Missouri; she was born in Saxony, November 20, 1852, a daughter of George and Mary Goodyear, who came to America with her when a child. They have had four children: Lillie B., Clarence A., Daisy L. and Pearl K. The family are connected with the Methodist Episcopal Church, and Mr. Bender is recognized as a brother by the I. O. O. F. He is a Republican in politics, and is an earnest worker in educational matters; he is a member of the board of education, and has rendered material assistance to the Western Normal College.


REV. W. S. HOOKER was born January 29, 1834, near Portsmouth, England. He was converted September 29, 1847, and united with the Wesleyan Methodist Church. In 1855 he was licensed to preach by Rev. Thomas H. Squance, at Portsmouth, the latter being then the only survivor of the party of seven young ministers taken to India by Dr. Coke in 1813. Rev. Hooker was married to Miss Sarah Humphreys, in 1861, who shared the toils and labors, the joys and success of a Methodist preacher's life until August 6, 1886, when she passed to her reward. She was a noble, consecrated woman. Rev. Hooker came to Iowa in 1869, and joined the Des Moines Conference in 1870. Since then he has been stationed at Decatur City, College Springs, Shenandoah, Villisca, Wesley Church, Des Moines, Clarinda, Indianola and Creston, his present charge. From 1880 to 1884 he was Presiding Elder of Council Bluffs district, and prepared it for the grand advance it has since made in raising missionary money. He is a man of deep piety, sound judgment and great tact, and has built up every charge where he has been stationed. The Des Moines Conference honored itself in electing him one of its delegates to the General Conference, held at New York in May, 1888. Mr. Hooker's family consists of six-children: one dead, the others all living in southwestern Iowa.
His oldest son, William F., one of the rising young farmers of Page County, resides on section 22, Washington Township. He is a native of England, born at Portsmouth, January 20, 1864, a son of the Rev. W. 8. Hooker, a prominent minister in the Methodist Episcopal Church: he has been Presiding Elder of the Council Bluffs district and has held other important positions in the church; he was a delegate to the General Conference held at New York city in 1888. He is now a resident of Creston, Iowa. The mother of William F. was Sarah Humphreys, also a native of England. When our subject was four years of age the family emigrated to the United States and settled in Nebraska City, Nebraska. Later they removed to Iowa, where the father was pastor in many different places according to the rules of the Methodist Church. Young Hooker received his education at the different points to which his father was appointed in the State of Iowa. Arriving at the age of manhood he left the parental roof and came to Washington Township, and settled on his father's farm, which he had owned several years. The Hooker farm is devoted to the breeding and rearing of line horses, and there may be seen some of the very best specimens of imported and home-bred Percheron horses. [page 723] Mr. Hooker has been quite successful in this branch of farming, and has fitted up his farm with many conveniences for the care and protection of these valued animals.
On November 18, 1885, Mr. Hooker married Miss Rosa Black, a daughter of Samuel Black, of whom further notice will be found elsewhere in this volume. One child has been born of this union: Herman Lloyd. These young people are active workers in the Methodist Episcopal Church of Northboro. Politically Mr. Hooker is identified with the Republican party. Although a young man he has gained an enviable position in the community by his good business qualifications.



CHARLES READ is descended from old Puritan stock, and is one of the substantial citizens of Pierce Township, Page County. The remote ancestors of the family, two brothers, emigrated from England, one settling in Massachusetts and the other in Virginia. The great-grandfather of our subject was Oliver Read, a native of Massachusetts. Benjamin Read, his son, was also born in Massachusetts, and was a sea captain many years; after retiring from this active life he purchased a farm in the State of New York, where he spent the remainder of his days. He married Elizabeth Dodson, and to them were born eight children: four lived to years of manhood, Durfee, Gideon, Jonathan, and Benjamin; the others died in infancy. Jonathan Read was born in Massachusetts, May 25, 1785, and was but eleven years of age when his parents removed to the State of New York. He married Charlotte Rudd, January 2, 1810; she was a daughter of Daniel and Abigail (Allen) Rudd, who were descended from a Presbyterian minister, who came from Wales with 100 followers on account of religious persecution, and settled at Dedham, Massachusetts, in 1634. After his marriage Mr. Read settled on his father's farm. He joined a volunteer company of artillery, commanded by his brother, and of which he was Second Lieutenant, and did service on the Canadian frontier. The brother resigning, Lieutenant Read was appointed Captain in his place. Charles Read, the subject of this notice, has in his possession their commissions from Daniel Tompkins, Governor of New York, and one from De Witt Clinton, making Lieutenant Read a Brigadier General of Artillery. General and Mrs. Read had nine children: Elizabeth, Dodson, William L., Lucy A., Henry B., Benjamin T., Jonathan, Charles, Charlotte A. and Mary A. Mrs. Read had one sister, Lucy A. Rudd, who married General Henry Brubeck, who was in the Revolutionary war and received his first commission as ensign from General Warren; he had an extended military career, and remained in the United States service till 1818, as acting Major General, and lived to the advanced age of ninety-four years.
Charles Read, the son of Jonathan Read and the subject of this biography, was born September 5,1819. He received a common-school education, and was reared to agricultural pursuits. He resided on the farm of his father until he was forty-four years of age. He was united in marriage to Harriet G. Myers, a daughter of Ludwick and Jane (Dustin) Myers. Mr. Myers was descended from old Dutch stock, who settled on the Hudson River; he was a farmer in good circumstances and left an estate valued at $18,000.
Mr. and Mrs. Read are the parents of six children Mary H., deceased; Willard M., [page 724] Charles H., Robbley D., Harriet G., and Warren W.
The people of Pierce Township have shown the confidence they repose in Mr. Read by calling him to fill many of the offices of trust and responsibility; he has also been Deputy United States Marshal. In 1866 he removed to Clarinda, Iowa and worked at the carpenter's trade for three years; at the close of this period he changed his occupation to farming, and eighteen years ago commenced improving his present location, which consists of 160 acres of as good land as lies within the borders of Page County; he has added many valuable improvements, and has placed the soil under good cultivation. Politically he is identified with the Democratic party. He is a man who has always been industrious, moral and upright, and has brought up his children to good, honest principles.
Willard M. Read married Elizabeth Porter; the remainder of the family are at home.
Among the brilliant ancestors of the Read family may be mentioned General Read of the Revolution, and George Read, one of the signers of the Declaration of Independence.

Ludwick Myers was twice married; first to Elizabeth Carpenter, by whom he had seven children, and the second time to Jaue Dustin, to whom were born eight children.


JOHN B. CRAIN is of British descent, but his ancestors have long been American citizens and have occupied positions of trust and honor for generations. His great-grandfather was born in Virginia, and lived in Culpeper County, within thirty miles of the home of General Washington, with whose family he was well acquainted. He served as.a soldier in the war of the Revolution. In 1808 he emigrated to Kentucky and located in Pulaski County, being one of the pioneers of the State and a contemporary of Daniel Boone. He lived to the advanced age of 100 years, and his wife was 103 years old at the time of her death, retaining to the last her mental and bodily vigor.
The Rev. William Crain, son of the above, was born in Culpeper County, Virginia, March 1, 1802. When he was six years of age his father removed to Pulaski County, Kentucky, where he grew to up manhood. When twenty years of age he embraced the Christian religion and united with the Methodist Episcopal Church. Soon after he was called to preach and spent the remainder of his life in the Master's cause, April 19, 1832, he married Miss Harriet Tong, and three years later he removed to Schuyler County, Illinois, where he passed the remainder of his days. A full account of his life will be found in the second volume of Dr. Leoton's " Methodism in Illinois." He died November 3, 1884, and his good wife died November 1, 1884.
John F. Crain, son of William Crain, and the father of our subject, was born December 31, 1832, at Cape Girardeau, Missouri. He was trained to the occupation of a farmer and obtained a good common-school education.   February 2, 1854, he was married, in Illinois, to Miss Margaret A. Howard, a daughter of Tilmon Howard.   The Howards are an old American family, their ancestors having been soldiers in the war of the Revolution.   Mr. and Mrs. Crain had born to them eight children, John B., our subject being the oldest.   In 1855 the father removed with his family to Taylor County, Iowa.   He died at the early age of thirty-nine years.   His widow survives him. She is a woman of unusual strength of character and executive ability and has nobly filled her part in life in the training and care of her children.
John B. Crain was born November 28, 1854, in Schuyler County, Illinois. His parents removed to Iowa during his infancy, and he was trained to the occupation of a farmer. By the death of his father much responsibility fell to him, and early in life he studied architecture and the builder's trade, at which he worked during the summer months until 1880. In 1874 he entered the normal department of Amity College, finishing the course and continuing his studies one year beyond that time, In 1877 he began teaching in Page County during the winter terms. In 1879 he embarked in the lumber business in connection with his building interests, the firm being Hotelling, Crain & Co. In 1881 he purchased the banking business of Good & Webster, which he has since conducted. He has been very prosperous in all his undertakings; he owns about 400 acres [page 726] of land and valuable real estate in Braddyville.
In 1880 Mr. Crain was united in marriage to Miss Eva J. Hart, daughter of John and Cordelia (Keyes) Hart. To them have been born seven children: the first were twins who died, one living to be four years old; the second were also twins, and they lived but six months; the three living are, Dale H., Lelia N. and Floy. Mr. Crain is a member of College Springs Lodge, No. 228, I. O. O. F., of which he is Noble Grand. He enjoys the confidence of the people of the county and is well known among business men as a practical and successful financier. He is the present Mayor of Braddyville, and has acted as treasurer since its organization. He is also treasurer of the school board. Politically he is identified with the Republican party.


JACOB J. JAMES is a member of a family of Welsh descent. His grandfather Isaac James, was born in the State of New York, but emigrated at an early day to Kentucky, and thence to Indiaua. He was a millwright by trade, but settled on a farm at Attica, where he died. His wife was Grange Farragut, of the State of New Y'ork, a distant relative of Commodore Farragut. Enoch James, father of Jacob J., was born in Kentucky and moved with his father to Indiana. He married Lydia Johns, a daughter of Jacob and Rachel (Batton) Johns, and they had born to them but one child, the subject of this sketch. Enoch James was a lawer of considerable prominence and acquired a handsome estate. He died near Attica, Indiana, about the year 1870.
Jacob J. James was born in Boone County, Indiana, in 1842, and was reared on a farm; he learned engineering and followed the business eleven years. In 1860 he came to Iowa with his mother, and March 1,1862, he enlisted in the United States service as a private in Company F, Eleventh Missouri Volunteer Cavalry; July 19 he was made Sergeant, and then was promoted to First Sergeant; he participated in many battles and skirmishes, and in 1865, at New Orleans, he received the commission of First Lieutenant, but he was never mustered. In the battle at Clarendon, Arkansas, June 26 and 27, 1864, he commanded the company, being Sergeant; he was slightly wounded in this battle by a spent ball, but was never in the hospital; he gave good and efficient service during the entire three years of his enlistment. When he returned from the war he came to Page County, Iowa, and engaged in running an engine in this township.
Mr. James was married at Clarinda, Iowa, January 30, 1868, to Caroline F. Willets, the ceremony being performed by the Rev. Thomas Wallace, who was noted for having said the ceremony to numerous young couples. To Mr. and Mrs. James were born six children: Jessie A., Isaac E., Lydia J., Jacob O., Arthur A. and Hattie A. April 1, 1872, Mr. James bought a farm in Buchanan Township, upon which he lived two years, and in 1871 he removed to his present farm of eighty acres of fine land. He and his wife have been members of the Baptist Church, and were chosen delegates to the Association at Glenwood, Iowa. Mr. James has always taken an active interest in educational affairs, and has served his township as school director for five years. He is an honorable citizen and the entire family are held in high regard.
The maternal ancestors of Mr. James were in every war from the Revolution to the Rebellion. Jacob Johns, the grandfather, was in the war of 1812, and was a county judge [page 727] in Kentucky; he was a Democrat and the owner of slaves, but his wife, being a stanch Whig, said she would have no slaves on the place, and took out manumission papers and set them free.
Mrs. James's father removed to Page County in 1859, and is still living at College Springs, Amity Township. He is an industrious, upright citizen, and has the esteem of a wide circle of acquaintance. Mr. James's mother died November 3, 1882, at Clarinda, Iowa. The maternal ancestors of Mr. James were also loyal Americans, some member having been in all the wars since the Revolution.