Biographical History of Page County, Iowa, Lewis & Dunbar Publishers, 113 Adams Street, Chicago, Illinois, 1890

[transcribed by Pat O'Dell: ]

[page 602]

ARTHUR ROZELLE, proprietor and editor of the Coin Eagle, was born in Luzerne County, Pennsylvania, November 28, 1859, and is the son of Jonathan and Theresa (Rosenkrans) Rozelle, natives of Pennsylvania, of French and German ancestry. In his childhood the family removed to Wood County, Ohio, where they remained three years, and emigrated thence to Iowa, locating in Tama County. About the year 1867 they removed to Page County and settled on a farm four miles north of Clarinda; this was their home for three years, and then they went to their farm in Morton Township, which the father had purchased some time previously.   There our subject was trained to agricultural pursuits and remained under the parental roof until he had attained his twentieth year. He received a good education in the common schools, and in addition to these opportunities he attended Amity College at College Springs for two years. He began teaching school at the age of twenty years and followed the profession for some time. Abandoning this work he secured an interest in the Riverton Enterprise, which he retained only a short time.
In 1881 Mr. Rozelle founded the Coin Eagle, which he has since conducted, evincing a special fitness for the work he has undertaken. In connection with the duties of his newspaper he is engaged in the real-estate and insurance business. Politically he is independent, a tariff reformer, an anti-monopolist, and a Prohibitionist. Holding these radical views his paper must indeed be a spicy, interesting sheet.
His wife was appointed Postmistress of Coin under the Cleveland administration and held the office for more than two years, discharging the duties thereof with ability.
Mr. Rozelle was united in marriage June 20, 1881, to Miss Kit Kile, a daughter of Caleb and Lydia (Dynes) Kile, natives of the State of Ohio. Mrs. Rozelle was born in Clarinda, Page County Iowa. They are the parents of one child, Ethel.
Mr. Rozelle is identified with Coin Lodge, No. 455, I. O. O. F.; with Encampment, No. 267, and also with the Grand Lodge of Iowa.


J. A. DELK was born in Albany, Delaware County, Indiana, December 15, 1849, and is the son of William and Lovisa (Kenedy) Delk, natives of Ohio. The father is now a resident of Michigan; the [page 603] mother died in 1862. There was a family of eight children, of whom our subject is the oldest. He spent his earlier youth in his native county, and passed his time in attending to duties that usually fall to the lot of a farmer-boy. He was but thirteen years of age when his mother died, and he then went out to face the world and make his own way; he worked by the month and year at farming.
In February, 1871, he emigrated to Iowa, believing that better opportunities were open to young men in the West. He first located in Mills County, where he remained until 1878, engaged in stock-raising and farming; he purchased a farm of eighty acres, which was raw prairie; this he placed under good cultivation and disposed of it previous to his removal to Page County. For two years he rented the farm of Samuel Phifer in Lincoln Township, and then came to the present site of Coin and erected the first business building in the place. It was ready for occupancy January 1, 1880, and he opened a well assorted stock of groceries and confectionery, with a restaurant in connection.
In 1884 Mr. Delk erected the present hotel in the town of Coin, which he manages in connection with his other business enterprise. The building is a two-story frame, with twenty-three rooms for guests and large sample rooms; it is well-kept, and has a reputation reflecting much credit upon the proprietor. Coin may well congratulate herself upon having such a comfortable retreat for the weary traveler.
Politically Mr. Delk is identified with the Republican party, and is a strong adherent to its principles. He has been a member of the Board of Education for three years, and is interested in the educational affairs of the county. He is a member of Silver Urn Lodge, No. 234, A. F. & A. M., and of Coin Lodge, No. 455, I. O. O. F., having passed all the chairs of the order; he also belongs to the Grand Lodge of Iowa.
Mr. Delk was united in marriage December 17, 1874, to Miss Martha J. Phifer, a daughter of Samuel and Nancy A. (Roberts) Phifer. She is a native of Missouri, born May 2, 1849. Three children have been born of this union: Oscar L., Ona M. and an infant, deceased. The parents are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and are among the most highly respected citizens of the county.


GEORGE M. McCLELLAND.—This reliable farmer resides in Harlan Township, Page County, Iowa, and has been a resident of the State since 1849. He was born in Washington County, Indiana, May 26, 1848, and when one year of age was brought to Iowa by his parents, William J. and Elizabeth McClelland; they settled in the eastern part of the State, but in October, 1854, they came to Page County, where they have since resided.
George M. was brought up to the avocation of a farmer, and obtained his education in the common schools. He remained at home with his father until he had attained his twenty-seventh year, assisting him in all his undertakings.
May 13, 1875, he was united in marriage with Nancy J. Dngan, daughter of Alexander and Jane (Braham) Dugan, natives of the State of Pennsylvania. Mrs. McClelland was born in Butler County, Pennsylvania, May 13, 1850. Shortly after their marriage they settled on their farm of eighty acres in Harlan Township, and there they spent the first years of their wedded life in agricultural pursuits. The farm had but fifteen acres broken out, and there were no other improvements. [page 604] Mr. McClelland and his wife went to work with a will, determined to make it win in the end, and they continued to reside on this farm, erecting necessary buildings and making other improvements as circumstances would permit, until January 5, 1886, when their house was destroyed by fire, and most of their household effects were consumed. They found shelter with Mr. McClelland's father, with whom they remained until the following March, when he removed to another farm in Harlan Township. Mr. McClelland is of a philosophical turn of mind, and meets his adversities as only a philosopher can. He has pluck and perseverance, and a better capital can not be found.
There have been born to Mr. and Mrs. McClelland six children: William B., Samuel A., who died September 14, 1878; James Ira, Hugh B., Henry W. and Frank M. The parents are members of the Reformed Presbyterian Church, and are highly respected throughout the county.

WILLIAM M. BLACK, an enterprising agriculturist of Harlan Township, Page County, is a son of James C. and Martha J. (Graham) Black, whose biographical sketch appears elsewhere in this volume. He was born in Hancock County, Illinois, March 19, 1859, and when he was eight years old his parents came to Page County, Iowa; here he was reared to the life of a farmer, and obtained his education in the common schools. At the age of nineteen years he engaged in the carpenter's trade, which he followed for five years. He then returned to his former avocation, and since that time has been employed in the different branches of agriculture. He has dealt quite extensively in live-stock, and in 1889 he turned his attention especially to the propagation of the higher grades, choosing the Galloway cattle and Poland-China hogs.
Mr. Black controls 120 acres of land in section 26, Harlan Township. He is a stanch adherent to the principles of the Republican party. He has taken an active interest in the welfare and development of the county, and ranks among the leading citizens.
September 28,1882, occurred the marriage of William M. Black and Maggie M. McKee, daughter of David and Mary E. (Gregg) McKee. Mrs. Black was born in the city of Philadelphia, November 28, 1859. The result of this union is three children: Pearl A., born November 28, 1883; Eda M., born June 24, 1886, and James G., born April 1,1889.
The parents are worthy and consistent members of the Reformed Presbyterian Church, and are numbered among the most respected citizens of the county.


W.A. YOUNG, a rising young farmer of Harlan Township, was born in Page County, Iowa, November 14, 1857, and is the son of Robert and Sarah (Whitehill) Young, pioneers of the county, a full history of whom will be found on another page in this volume.
Our subject is the oldest child of a family of six children, and was reared to the life of a farmer. He was born in Harlan Township, and obtained his education in the common schools.
When Mr. Young had attained his majority he engaged in farming for himself, and since the year 1884 he has been cultivating a portion of the old home farm. He devoted himself to farming exclusively, and such are his ability and application that he is bound to make it win.

[page 605]

In political thought and action he stands with the Republican party, in the success of which he takes an active interest. He is ready and willing to assist in the promotion of any measures that will be of benefit to the community, and is counted among the most promising young farmers of the county.


HIRAM LARRABEE has been a member of the farming community of Tarkio Township since 1867. He was born in Cattaraugus Couuty, New York, February 5, 1830, and is the son of Thomas Larrabee, a native of Onondaga County, New York, and a soldier in the war of 1812. The Larrabees were a family of early settlers in the Empire State, and were of French extraction. Thomas Larrabee married Esther Babcock, a native of the State of New York. They had born to them a family of nine children, who grew to maturity. Hiram was the fourth son and eighth child, and when he was eleven years old his mother died. His youth was passed after the manner of a farmer's son, and he obtained his education in the common schools. In 1844 the father removed to Lake County, Illinois, where he passed the remainder of his days; there the son grew to manhood, and was married May 22, 1855, to Miss Elmira Cone, a native of Chittenden County, Vermont, and a daughter of Buel and Miranda (Morgan) Cone. Her father was a native of Vermont and was of an old Scotch family whose name was originally McComb; the first syllable was dropped and finally it was changed to Cone. Miranda Morgan was a daughter of Samuel and Sarah (Clark) Morgan. The Morgans were early settlers on the Connecticut River.
In 1865 Mr. Larrabee removed to Taylor County, Iowa, where he spent two years; he then came to Page County and settled on his present farm, where he was one of the prairie settlers; there was no house north of his place for ten miles, and only two houses to the west for many miles. He and his family were obliged to undergo all the privations of pioneer life. They have 160 acres in a high state of cultivation, a good house, a large, conveniently arranged barn, a grove and an orchard, and many modern contrivances for saving labor and adding to comfort.
Mr. and Mrs. Larrabee are the parents of three children: May, wife of J. B: Harlan; Thomas Grant and Truman B.; one son DeLoss E., died at the age of thirteen years and six months.

Politically Mr. Larrabee is independent; he has represented the township of Tarkio as trustee, filling the office with credit to himself and the best interests of the public. He is a man of an affable, genial disposition, and has won a host of friends in the county.


WILLIAM J. McCLELLAND, one of the pioneer farmers of Page County, Iowa, was born December 26, 1821, and is a son of Benjamin and Sarah (Nicholson) McClelland, natives of Tennessee and Indiana respectively. William J. is of direct Scotch descent, and is the first-born of a family of eight children. He was reared to the calling which he has since followed, and has supplemented his limited school facilities by hard study and extensive reading. He was about sixteen years of age when his father's house and all its contents were consumed by fire. He then took up the responsibilities of life and began providing for himself; he hired to a farmer at $6 per month, and continued to work for wages for six years. He then started west on foot, going via Terre Haute, [page 606] Indiana, St. Louis and Springfield, Missouri, into the Indian territory, Colorado, Kansas, and returning via Vincennes, Indiana. He started out in October and made the trip by the following May, traversing the entire distance on foot. The following summer and winter he worked on a farm.
It was about this time that Mr. McClelland met his wife; they were married December 10, 1846.   She was Elizabeth M. Tippin, a daughter of George and Terzah (Rals) Tippin, and was born in South Carolina, February 16, 1815.   In August, 1849, they emigrated to Iowa, having secured a team of oxen and a wagon; they came overland all the way with this team.   They settled in Des Moines County, remaining there until 1854; there Mr. McClelland has succeded in paying for forty acres of land, which he sold when they started still further west. They landed in Page County October 17,1854, and at once settled on a pre-emption claim of eighty acres in Harlan Township.  They lived in a tent six weeks while a house was being built; this house was a log cabin, but for many years it furnished a comfortable shelter. The husband also took a pre-emption claim of eighty acres of swamp lands, and has since devoted his time and energies to the cultivation and development of his farm. He has met with more than ordinary success, and is now able to enjoy the fruits of his labors. He is one of three now living who assisted in the organization of the Reformed Presbyterian Church, of which he has since been a stanch supporter.
Mr. and Mrs. McClelland had born to them five children: George M., Sarah, wife of John H. Walkinshaw; Terzah J., wife of J. H. Dugan; Martha M., wife of L. A. DeWitt, and William A., deceased.
Mrs. McClelland died in May, 1888, beloved and mourned by her family and a wide circle of acquaintances.
Mr. McClelland is still strong and active, and has always had unusual powers of endurance; at one time he walked thirty miles from 1 o'clock, p. m., until sundown. He has had twenty-five grandchildren, seven dead, and he and his family are highly respected.


VAL. GRAFF, one of the well-known business men of Clarinda, has been prominently indentified with her history and mercantile interests since 1869. The first stock of clothing was opened for sale in a small frame building which occupied the site of the present National Bank building. Two years of successful dealing warranted him in moving to his present place of business; his store room is 22x100 feet, and it is well filled with a fine line of all goods demanded by his trade. His annual sales aggregate $40,000, and he has ever held the most honorable relations in the business circles of Page County.
In order to learn something of the early life of our esteemed subject, we will ask the reader to go back with us in thought to the " Fatherland," where Val. Graff, the son of Valentine Graff, first saw the light of day October 4, 1843. When he was a lad nine years of age he bade farewell to Germany and the scenes of his childhood and emigrated with his parents to America. The family located in Andrew County, Missouri, and there he grew to manhood. He was united in marriage October 25, 1870, to Nancy E. Fairley at Hillsboro, Ohio. Six children have been born of this union: Walter, Gerald, Everett, Myra and Mary, living; and Rosa, born August 16, 1871, died August 6, 1872.
Politically Mr. Graff affiliates with the Republican party. He has served on the city council, and was a member of that body [page 607] when the excellent system of water-works was put in at Clarinda. He was a Union volunteer in the late war. He first enlisted September 5, 1861, in the State service for six months, but did not get out under a year and a half; he then re-enlisted, October 20, 1863, in the United States army and served until July 1, 1865, being promoted from the ranks to the position of First Sergeant, in Company G., Twelfth Missouri Cavalry. He is a member of the Presbyterian Church and has been an elder of that society. He has ever taken on active interest in religious and educational affairs, and has been a liberal supporter of all enterprises having for their object the advancement of the community. He has acquired a solid popularity in Clarinda, based on actual merit, and ranks among the very first citizens of the place. And thus it is again illustrated that America is deeply indebted to the foreign countries for some of her best brain and brawn.


ALEXANDER DAVIS, the oldest settler of East River Township now living, is a genuine type of the western pioneer, and as such commands our hearty respect, almost our reverence, for it is to such sturdy characters that we are indebted for the present advanced state of development in which we find western Iowa to-day. He was born in Sussex County, Delaware, September 7, 1807, and is a son of Henry and Edith (Townsend) Davis. He is the oldest of a family of eleven children, and, his father being a farmer, he was trained in that industry. He was married January 3, 1829, to Miss Mary Conwell, a daughter of George and Hannah Conwell. She was born January 3, 1810. Their union was blessed with seven children: George H., Eliza, deceased, Hester, wife of Samuel Nixon, Mary, deceased, Joseph A., Amelia, wife of Channcey Carpenter and John W. In May, 1834, they emigrated to Shelby County, Indiana, where Mrs. Davis died March 8, 1845. Mr. Davis was again married January 13, 1846, to Naomi Banks, who was a faithful wife and a good mother to the family of small children who had been bereft of their own mother's care. They removed to Des Moines, Iowa,, where they spent one winter, and thence to the comparatively new county of Page; this was in May, 1851. Mr. Davis purchased a claim for which he paid $100, the number of acres not being specified; the improvements were meager enough, and only twenty acres had been broken; the log cabin was sixteen by eighteen feet, and in this they began life in the new country. They were not afraid of privations and hardships but set to work to claim from Nature all she would yield them. After a residence of six years in this place Mrs. Davis died, January 29, 1857, and her husband and the young children were again left alone. Mr. Davis went on improving his claim, and making every effort to induce people to settle in the county. He still retains 240 acres, lying on sections 19, 20 and 29. He has given largely to his children, and has assisted them very generously in getting a start in the world.
In the early days of his settlement in the county the Indians were numerous, and the deer and wolf roamed at will over the vast prairie; produce was carried a distance of thirty miles to the nearest market place, and they were sometimes compelled to make bread from corn that had been boiled and grated on a common grater.
In 1852 Mr. Davis built a story-and-a-half log house, having spent one year in the little cabin. He married for his third wife Sena Rector, a daughter of Aaron Sincakes, [page 608] who lived for eight years after her marriage. February 8, 1866, he was again married to Mrs. Ruth Good, a daughter of Joshua and Elizabeth Roberts. She was born near Rushville, Ohio, November 12, 1817, and married for her first husband Joseph Good, a native of Ohio. He died January 4,1865; six children had been born to them.
Mr. Davis has always taken an active interest in church work and has officiated as class-leader. Politically he is a stanch Republican, having been an old-line Whig. He has served as Justice of the Peace in his township for two terms, fulfilling his duties faithfully and to the satisfaction of the people.


EDWIN IANSON LANCET, one of the leading merchants of Shenandoah, was born in the city of Boston, February 13, 1855, and is the youngest of a family of three children. The oldest child, Frederick L., died in Shenandoah, December 26, 1879, at the age of thirty-three years. He was a soldier in the late war of the Rebellion, enlist in the 100-day service at the age of sixteen. Later he re-enlisted as a member of Co. A, Thirtieth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and was with Sherman in his famous march to the sea. Was honorably discharged at the close of the war. He was a brilliant and promising young man and was connected with his brother in business at the time of his death. Addie M., the only sister, resides with her mother in Shenandoah. The parents were Samuel F., Jr., and Mary K. (Hall) Lancey; the father was also a native of Boston, born January 16,1818; his father was Samuel F. Lancey, who for many years was a merchant in Boston; he was a native of France and a member of the famous DeLancy family, but he decided to drop the French prefix on becoming a citizen of this country. Mrs. Lancey, the mother of Edwin I., was born in Portland, Maine, January 9, 1822, and was married to Mr. Lancey at Barrington, New Hampshire, September 1, 1845. The family removed from Boston to Macomb, Illinois, in 1858, and there the father became a heavv dealer in agricultural implements; he was also prominently connected with the leading bank, and was a member of the city council and the board of education. In 1879 they removed to Shenandoah but Mr. Lancey did not enter into active commercial life excepting as a partner with his son, Edwin I., in the grocery trade. His death occurred June 17, 1885.
Edwin I. received his education in the public schools of Macomb and at the Branch College of that place. Having a strong desire to see the world he decided to become a railroad man and secured a situation as brakeman on the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy, which he held for eight years; for five years he was a conductor on the run from Galesburg. A part of his train meeting with an accident through the carelessness of a brakeman he was " laid off" for a time, and during this period he decided never to re-engage in the railroad business. After remaining: at home one year with his father he came to Shenandoah and formed a partnership in the grocery trade with George Trotter, which continued for five years, Since that time he has conducted the business alone and has remained at the original stand.
Mr. Lancey has proven himself worthy of the esteem and confidence of his brother merchants, and his liberal dealing and upright conduct have won for him a generous patronage. He was married in October, 1889, to Miss Emma Carter, a daughter of the honored mayor, James Bosley Carter, and a native of the State of Indiana.   Two children [page 609] have been born of this union: Mary I. and Edwin J. In his political belief Mr. Lancey is Democratic.


DONALD SUTHERLAND came to Page County in May, 1875, and located in East River Township, on a farm of 145 acres, on sections 21 and 28. He was born in Jones County, Iowa, November 23, 1838, and is a son of Donald and Nancy (Livingston) Sutherland. The parents were of Scotch origin; the father was born in Scotland, and the mother in British America at Selkirk. They removed to Iowa in 1838 and followed farming in Jones County. The father died in 1888, and the mother still lives on the old homestead in Jones County. There our subject grew to manhood and obtained a common-school education. August 14, 1861, he enlisted in Company H, Thirty-first Iowa Volunteer Infantry, and was mustered into service at Davenport, Iowa; he was mustered out at the same place by honorable discharge July 3, 1865. He was in the First Division of the Fifteenth Army Corps, and was at the memorable siege of Vicksburg, and participated in all the battles in which his command took part. He is a member of Warren Post, No. 11, G. A. R., at Clarinda.
Mr. Sutherland was united in marriage in 1862, to Miss Margaret J. Johnson, a native of West Middlesex, Pennsylvania. Her people settled in Jones County, Iowa, and later came to Page County; both parents are deceased; one brother is the United States District Attorney for Alaska Territory, having his home at Sitka.
Two children have been born to Mr. Sutherland and wife: one is deceased and one is now twenty-six years old, and is a prominent attorney of Smith County, Kansas. Both Mr. and Mrs. Sutherland are members of the Presbyterian Church. In politics he is an avowed Republican. His business is now breeding fast horses of Hambletonian stock. His barns are in the incorporation of Clarinda.


THOMAS PROSSER.—The small country of Wales as well as larger and more pretentious nations has contributed her share to the settlement and development of America. The subject of this notice was born in Wales, February 15, 1831, and is a son of Thomas and Margaret (Powles) Prosser. He was reared in his native conutry, and when at the age of eight years he was put to work in a woolen factory where he remained until he was sixteen years old. He then went to the mountains and was engaged in stripping iron ore for a period of twelve or thirteen years. He next turned his attention to agriculture, which he followed for three years, after which he sailed for America. He located at a small place in Meigs County, Ohio, where he remained twelve months, and then decided to push on farther west. We next find him at Bevier, Macon County, Missouri, where for four years he was employed in the coal mines; Kansas City was the next place of abode, where he was for ten months, employed in railroad work. During the following summer he was engaged on the Fort Scott & Galveston road in Kansas. In the fall of 1869 he came to Page County, Iowa, and for nine months was employed in the coal mines here, for other parties; and then he purchased a coal mine, which he himself conducted for ten years, employing in the winter time from fifteen to twenty men; and since that time he has leased the mine to other parties, who employ from twelve to [page 610] fifteen men each winter. For farming pur­poses, he purchased ten acres of land in East River Township, to which he has added at various times until he now owns eighty-two and a half acres. He has made many excel­lent improvements on this land in the way of erecting buildings and cultivating the soil. For four or five years he was employed in the coal mines of Page County, and then pur­chased a mine which he now operates; he em­ploys from ten to twenty-five men, and is doing a successful business. Thrown upon his own resources in childhood, and working his way to his present position of financial independence, he certainly is deserving of unbounded credit. His first wages amounted to twelve cents a week and board himself. Since coming to this country he has been unfortunate in one or two business ventures, but he has had enough clear, hard grit to push ahead in spite of obstacles, and has made a most decided success of life.
Mr. Prosser was married in 1876 to Miss Nancy Pierson, a native of Virginia. Politically he is an active supporter of the issues of the Republican party. He is a member of Clarinda Lodge, No. 109, I. O. O. F. He is a man who has done much toward the improving and developing of the community, and by his honesty and integrity of character has made many friends in Page County.


JOHN M. LOUDON, a resident of section 33, Tarkio Township, has been identified with the interests of Page County since 1867. Mr. Loudon was born in Juniata County, Pennsylvania, April 23, 1825. His father, Solomon Loudon, was a native of the north of Ireland, and emigrated to America at the age of eighteen years; he married Eliza Barton, also a native of Ireland, who came to America at the age of twelve years. They reared a family of twelve children, five sons and seven daughters. John M. was reared on a farm and received a limited education in the common schools When he had arrived at man's estate he left the farm and spent three years as a salesman in a manufacturing house.
November 15, 1854, occurred the marriage of John M. Loudon and Mary Jane McKee. Mrs. Loudon was born in Juniata County, Pennsylvania, and is a daughter of David and Elizabeth (Boggs) McKee. After his marriage, our subject lived three years in Alleghany County, Pennsylvania, and removed thence to Huntingdon County, Pennsylvania, from which locality he came to Iowa in 1869. He purchased 160 acres of land, and was among the earlier settlers in Tarkio Township. He has made excellent improvements, including a fine residence erected in 1887 after a modern style of architecture; there is a good barn, and a bearing orchard provides an abundance of fruit. It is one of the most desirable farms in the township, and one of which the owner may well be proud.
Mr. and Mrs. Loudon have been blessed with seven children: Martha, wife of W. J. Clark; Jennie, wife of W. H. Dutton; Rebecca, wife of J. H. Linder; Solomon, David B., Samuel B. and John M. Politically Mr. Loudon is a Democrat. He has served his township as Justice of the Peace, and has also been a member of the school board and trustee, filling these positions with credit to himself and to the satisfaction of the public. He is a member of the Presbyterian Church at Norwich, of which he has been an elder. He has served in the Sabbath-school both as superintendent and as a teacher, and has ever taken an active interest in religious matters. Believing in the power of education he has given his children liberal opportunities, and [page 611] has fitted them well for the various duties to which thev have been called. Although he has almost attained his three score years and ten, he bears his years lightly, having always lived a life of temperate habits. In his manner he is frank and candid, and by correct living he has gained an enviable reputation in the community.

CHARLES B. SHOEMAKER, deceased, was a native of Pennsylvania, born February 13, 1832, his parents being Samuel G. and Mary (Potts) Shoemaker of German ancestry. Samuel G. was born December 1,1791, and died April 27, 1873; and his wife, born August 27,1797, died August 14,1880; they were married May 22, 1817. The ancestors of the Shoemaker family came from Germany and settled in Berks County, Pennsylvania, and the ancestors of the Potts family came from Holland, but originally from England. They founded the city of Pottsville, Pennsylvania, engaging there in the iron business. In the family there were ten children, two of whom died when young. George Washington Shoemaker died at the age of twenty-three years, of consumption. Charles B. had three younger brothers, namely, Matthew, Fleming and Melissa. He was the fourth in a family of eight children and his early years were spent in assisting his father on a farm and in attending school. In 1849-'52 he learned the printer's trade, then left Murray for Venango County, Pennsylvania, when the town was called Agnew's Mills. He next came to Mt. Pleasant, Iowa, in 1855, and in 1858 he removed to Sidney, Fremont County, where he published the Herald. After one year he removed to Clarinda and established the Clarinda Herald, which he conducted three years.
In September, 1862, Mr. Shoemaker enlisted in the Twenty-ninth Iowa Volunteer Infantry, and received the commission of Major. He remained in the service until February 1, 1865, when he was honorably discharged. After leaving the army he located in New York, where he embarked in the coal trade. In 1874 he engaged in mining in New Jersey, and two years later he returned to Clarinda and assumed charge of the Herald, which he had founded in 1859. He continued in this business until his death, which occurred October 23, 1877.
Mr. Shoemaker was united in marriage August 10, 1857, to Miss Mary Haas, a native of Pennsylvania and one of a family of five children. Four children have been born of this union, three of whom are living. Our subject was at the time of his death a member of Henry Ward Beecher's Church. His widow belongs to the Presbyterian Church at Clarinda. Politically he was a radical Republican and took an active part in politics. He was also foremost in all educational matters. He was an honored member of the I. O. O. F., the A. F. & A. M., and of the A. O. U. W. He and his family stood high in social circles at Clarinda, and his death was mourned by a wide circle of friends and acquaintances.


FRANK A. BOWER is the manager for Charles V. Mount, dealer in jewelry, watches, clocks and optical goods. This fine stock, comprising everything in the trade and invoicing upwards of $3,000, is handsomely and artistically displayed in show cases and wall cabinets in Mr. Mount's store; he owns the building and the rooms are admirably adapted to the trade.
The proprietor of this establishment is [page 612] Charles V. Mount, who is now giving his personal attention to another stock of goods at Guthrie, Oklohoma, the phenomenal city of the Southwest. Mr. Mount is a native of New Jersey and was born about forty-seven years ago. He learned the jeweler's trade at Cedar Rapids, Iowa, when a boy, and has had an experience extending over thirty years. He is an old soldier, having served his country faithfully in the Eleventh Iowa for four years. His military education was recognized by the members of Company E, Iowa National Guard of Shenandoah, who elected him Captain soon after he took up his residence in Shenandoah; he has filled the position with much credit to himself and to the entire satisfaction of the command, and still retains the office although absent from the place.
Frank Bower, the genial and industrious manager of the business, was born in Henry County, Iowa, January 13, 1863, and is a son of T. S. and Lucinda (Bower) Bower. The family settled in Shenandoah in 1879, and the parents are still residents of the place, the father being the well-known dealer in coal and wood. Probably in October, 1885, Frank entered the shop of Mr. Palmatier, who was in the jewelry business at that time, to learn his trade. Mr. Palmatier removed to Oberlin, Kansas, and Mr. Bower followed him and completely mastered his trade.
In October, 1888, he entered the employ of C. V. Mount, and, proving eminently fitted for the responsibility, was left in full control when Mr. Mount decided to repair to the beautiful land of the " Oklohomas." During this time the business has increased and Mr. Bower has shown himself admirably adapted to the situation. No young man in Shenandoah has the esteem and respect of all the citizens more fully than Frank Bower. He has a most successful career before him and has enjoyed advantages that were accorded to few young men a quarter of a century ago. He is a member of the Presbyterian Church, and has associated himself with the A. O. U. W., Nishna Lodge, No. 249. Mr. Bower is unmarried.

S.R. FRANK, a prosperous farmer of Morton Township, has been a resident of Page County, Iowa, since 1869. He was born in Juniata County, Pennsylvania, September 30, 1842, and is the son of Henry and Elizabeth (Snyder) Frank, natives of Pennsylvania, of German origin. Henry Frank was a blacksmith and carpenter by trade, and was also interested in farming to some extent. In 1845 he removed with his family to Peoria County, Illinois, where he entered a tract of 120 acres of Government land, which he made his home until the day of his death; this was September 15, 1881. His wife died July 3, 1888. They were associated with the Evangelical Lutheran Church.
Simon R., the subject of this sketch, is the sixth of a family of ten children. From the time he was three years old until the opening of the Rebellion he lived on a farm in Peoria County, Illinois. He enlisted in Company C, Fifty-seventh Illinois Yolunteer Infantry, December 16, 1861, and was honorably dis­charged as Corporal December 29, 1864, at Savannah, Georgia. He was wounded in the ankle with a piece of shell at the battle of Town Creek, but remained on duty. During the three years.and twenty-three days that he was in the service he was off duty only two days. Among many engagements the follow­ing are the more noted: Donelson, Shiloh, Corinth, Bear Creek, Cherokee Station, Town Creek, and Sherman's campaign to Atlanta and to the sea.   On the expedition from [page 613] Corinth to Lexington he in company with three others were left on a halt, having fallen asleep; on awaking the next morning and finding themselves alone they shouldered their guns and marched on towards Lexington, making the trip in four days. On arriving there they found the city full of rebels and that their regiment had returned to Corinth. They put on a bold front, however reported themselves as the advance guard of another brigade, and passed through unmolested! After peace was declared he returned to his home in Illinois, and remained there for one year, after which he removed to Warren County, Illinois, and engaged in farming.
Mr. Frank was united in marriage October 30, 1867, to Miss Priscilla T. Stewart, a daughter of William and Sarah (Brooks) Stewart. She was born in Peoria County, Illinois, September 17, 1845. The spring following their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Frank removed to Warren County, Iowa, where they spent one year; they then removed to Page County and located at College Springs, removing after a few months to their present farm on section 36, Morton Township; it consisted of eighty acres of wild land, purchased at a cost of $6.25 per acre. The first summer Mr. Frank erected a .house, which he has since remodeled and enlarged; he has all the necessary buildings for the care of live­stock and grain, and has planted two acres of grove and two acres of orchard, which add much to the beauty and value of the place. As his means have increased he has invested in land, and now owns 240 acres in a good state of cultivation. He is the oldest settler now living in Morton Township, and during all these years he has striven to be of benefit to the community. He is a self-made man, having risen from the bottom of the ladder entirely through his own efforts to his present position of independence. Politically he is identified with the Republican party and is one of its strongest supporters. He has represented his township as trustee and as a member of the School Board, and was the first Supervisor of the southern district of Morton Township. He is a member of Page Post, 65, G. A. R.
Mr. and Mrs. Frank had born to them a family of seven children:   Ida M., Fred W., Charles S., Maud B., William W., Henry H and Walter S.
The mother was called from earth December 4, 1887. The family is associated with the Methodist Episcopal Church at Coin.

CHARLES K MARVIN, proprietor of the Shenandoah Sentinel, was born September 24, 1857, at East Orange, Delaware County, Ohio. In 1859 his parents removed to Johnson County, Iowa. His father enlisted in the Twenty-second Iowa Infantry, and his mother returned with him, her only child, to her parents in Ohio, to remain there while Mr. Marvin was in the army. He was killed at Vicksburg, May 22, 1862, in one of the unsuccessful charges made on the rebel works. In 1866 Mrs. Marvin was again married, and young Charles remained with the family on the farm in Delaware County, Ohio, until eighteen years of age. He then went to school a year and a half in Ashtabula County, same State, when he came west and worked on a farm by the month one year in Benton County, Iowa. Then he spent two years at the public high school in Marshalltown; next began teaching country school, in Marshall County, Iowa: taught in country and village schools, with good success, until 1884, when he married Bertha L. McCausland, of Modesha, Kansas, an old schoolmate, to whom he bad been en- [page 614]gaged for nine years. He then devoted his time and attention for two years exclusively to the publication of the Iowa Teacher at Marshalltown, a losing enterprise, like all western school journals. After its demise Mr. Marvin served for a few months on the editorial staff of the Marshalltown Times-Republican, and then leased the Union Star,of Union, Iowa. He conducted this paper successfully for eighteen months and saved a little money. He then came to Shenandoah, Iowa, purchased a new outfit of type and November 25, 1887, began the publication of the Sheuandoah Sentinel, which is in a very flourishing condition, and has recently been made one of the two official papers of Page County.


ELIZUR KENT BAILEY, A. M., M. D. —No profession offers the openings and opportunities aud advancement socially and financially in Iowa as does that of medicine. Few even among medical practitioners have advanced more rapidly or attained more prominence in a comparatively short time than has the gentleman whose career is under consideration. His practice, which which was begun in Clarinda twelve years ago, has been an eminently successful one; and the advice and counsel of no man has more weight with his colleagues.
Dr. Bailey was born at Palatine, Cook County, Illinois, June 3, 1848, the fifth of a family of eleven children, four of whom have taken ministerial orders. His parents, Bancroft and Almeda (Kent) Bailey, were natives of New Hampshire, and New York respectively. They were pioneers of Illinois, settling there in 1833, and now reside in Chicago.   The oldest son gave his life in defense of the Union, dying from the effects of wounds received before Vicksburg.
When Elizur was fifteen years old the family removed to Wheaton, Illinois, where he attended Wheaton College for a short time. After leaving school he engaged in teaching, but having an inclination for a more active life he studied telegraphy and passed his first season as an operator at Fond du Lac, Wisconsin; in 1867 he was given the office at Chester, same State, where he remained one year, and then went to Palatine, Illinois; thence he went to Council Bluffs, in the fall of 1869, where he was in the Western Union employ for oneyear. He now resolved to complete his academical studies, and again entered Wheaton College; there he pursued the collegiate course of study and was graduated in a class of eleven, in 1875, receiving the degree of Bachelor of Arts. He had determined upon entering the medical profession and immediately became a student of the Chicago Medical College, from which he graduated in 1877. Southwestern Iowa presented an inviting field to him; so he came to Clarinda, where he remained one year; he then removed to Shenandoah. His progress has been even and uninterrupted, and as a citizen he is interested in every work of public good.
Dr. Bailey and Miss Mattie B. V. Myers were united in the bonds of matrimony June 1, 1876, at Clarinda, Iowa. Mrs. Bailey is a daughter of the Rev. Jacob and Susan Reece (Barrett) Myers. The father was an influential minister in the Methodist Episcopal Church. The mother is a sister of Dr. Barrett, of Clarinda, and of Sarah T. Bolton, a gifted poetess of Indianapolis, Indiana. Mrs. Bailey was graduated in the same class with her husband, being the first woman to pursue the classical course at Wheaton College, and with her husband, in 1878, received the degree of Master of Arts from her alma [page 615] mater. Since living in Page County she has been prominently identified with the Sabbath-school work, and for eight years was secretary of the Page County Association. She is the present State secretary of the Sunday-school Association, and is also connected with the Iowa W. G. T. U., in which she has attained a national reputation. She is the department superintendent of the Sabbath-school work of the W. C. T. U., and is president of the Council Bluffs Presbyterial Woman's Board of Home Missions. Her various duties require much travel and public speaking, in which she is a brilliant success.
The Doctor and his wife have taken into their home two daughters, who, although not connected by family ties are very dear to them; they are Mary W. and Susan E.

DR. FRANKLIN HASTINGS.—James P. Hastings, the grandfather of the subject of this biographical notice, was born in Sussex County, Delaware, May 26, 1803, and married Ruth Eckridge, who was born in the same county, September 12,1800, and died December 2,1885. By this marriage there are eleven sons and four daughters, all of whom lived to be grown except one daughter, who died at the age of four years. There are now living nine sons and two daughters. James P. settled in Cumberland County, Illinois, where he followed agriculture forty years. A great many years he was a Campbellite or Christian minister and wielded a decided influence among the old settlers and pioneers of his county; he was a Justice of the Peace for thirty years, but never would receive a dollar for his services. He performed the marriage ceremony many times, but refused to accept any fee. He is a man of active mind and marked force of character; he is yet living, at the age of eighty-seven years, and possesess the vigor of any man of fifty years. He had several sons in the civil war: Calvin was killed at the battle of Vicksburg; Matthew and James were both wounded in the service, and James never recovered from the effects of his wound. The father lived in a community which was non-Union in sentiment, but he made speeches in favor of the Union and urged his sons to go to the assistance of those brave souls fighting for the perpetuity of the Nation. Mr. Hastings is a remarkable man, physically as well as mentally and morally; he stands six feet and two inches in his stockings, and has always been very straight, retaining his strength to a remarkable degree. He belongs to the old pioneer preachers who conducted their own farms and preached the gospel and attended to many public affairs of the community in addition. Such strong, self-reliant men usually transmit to posterity their nobility of character, and from such ancestors have sprung many of the leading business and professional men of to-day.
Joseph Hastings, father of James P., lived to the age of seventy-two years, and died about sixty years ago. He married Eleanor Twig; they both were from England; while the grandparents, Hastings, were from Scotland.
Lewis R. Hastings, the son of James P., was born in 1831. He received no systematic education, as there were no schools in southern Illinois at that early day. Filled with the spirit of adventure, he ran away from home at the age of twelve years and went to Circleville, Ohio, where he was hired to drive cattle across the Alleghany Mountains to New York city; the method employed was that of leading an ox to entice the others to follow.   This trip interested him in the [page 616] cattle business, which he has since followed with gratifying success. He began the cattle business by working for others who were engaged in it, and thus gained his knowledge from their experience.
Mr. Hastings was united in marriage, December 9, 1857, to Cynthia McMillin, at Indianola, Illinois, and by this union three children were born: Franklin, Ella and Carrie. Cynthia was born January 2, 1836, in Peoria County, Illinois. Her father, Robert Dixon McMillin, was a Scotchman, born September 14, 1814; and her mother, nee Lucinda S. Fisher, was a German, born September 25, 1813, and married Mr. McMillin March 12, 1835. Mr. Hastings was engaged in the cattle business at Indianola, Illinois, until 1860, when he removed to Chicago and went into the commission business at the old Merrick Yards, which were situated on the lake front, at a point where is now one of the finest residence portions of the city. He has continued in this business without interruption ever since, and has met with the most uniform success.. He first did business under the firm name of Gregory & Hastings, and then Gregory, Cooley & Co. He is also largely interested in the raising of cattle, owning stock ranches in the Indian Territory and Texas. During all these years that he has been located in Chicago he has accumulated considerable property, and owns valuable real estate in that city. He is an honored member of the Masonic fraternity. He has recently been sent as a delegate to the Cattle Men's Convention at Fort Worth, Texas, by the Governor of the State of Illinois. He stands high in the business circles of Chicago, and his word is thoroughly respected. Mrs. Hastings is a member of the Presbyterian Church, as are also her two daughters; these young women were both educated at the Chicago Female College.
Dr. Franklin Hastings, the son of Lewis R. and Cynthia (McMillin) Hastings, was born October 29, 1858, in Indianola, Illinois. When he was two years of age he was taken by his parents to Chicago, where he grew to manhood; he attended the public schools of that city and graduated from the High School of Englewood; he also attended college at Racine, Wisconsin, where he graduated in 1879. He came directly after his graduation to Page County, Iowa, where he embarked in the cattle business. In 1880 he began collecting a herd of Hereford cattle in company with his father, under the firm name of L. R. Hastings & Son. In 1884 they imported a herd of Herefords, and they are also the first importers of West Highland Scotch cattle in America; their herd of this breed numbers seventeen, and the Hereford herd numbers seventy-five head, all thorough-breds and all carefully registered. The firm of L. R. Hastings & Son owns 800 acres of land, well situated for the purpose of a stock-farm, and one of the most favorably and pleasantly located in the county; there are many valuable improvements to be found on this farm, and it is one of the most desirable from many standpoints. The West Highland Scotch cattle are a very hardy breed, native to the mountains of Scotland, and very valuable in a cold climate.
December 23, 1884, Mr. Hastings was united in marriage to Miss Luella B. Sidell, a daughter of the the Hon. John and Ada B. (Ransom) Sidell. He is a member of the blue lodge, chapter and commandery of the Masonic order. Although he was reared in a large city he takes naturally to the occupations of rural life and enjoys the many comforts only possible to a life of outdoor pursuits. He is a man of broad and liberal education, wide culture and superior business qualifications. Mrs. Hastings was educated at the Chicago Female College, being [page 617] graduated from the scientific course and vocal music; she is a person more devoted to literary pursuits than to society, and devotes a large portion of her time to study and reading. Their home is one of refinement and their surroundings are indicative of the cultivated and literary tastes of the owners. Mrs. Hastings' mother died at the age of thirty-one years. Her father was a man. of large means. He owned 7,000 acres of land and was one of the cattle kings of Illinois. At the time of the excitement in Illinois in regard to the Texan cattle fever, John Sidell was the owner of the infected drove. Lewis R. Hastings had collected the drove of Texas steers, numbering 2,200, in the State of Texas, and had driven them to Illinois; when the herd reached Cairo, Illinois, the native cattle began to die; twenty miles each side of the trail they died like sheep. Many of the men who had bought cattle and many of those whose cattle had become infected were poor men; they became greatly excited and brought suit against Mr. Sidell, but he won the case at last and proved himself an honorable man and an observer of the Golden Rule, for he settled with all the men who had lost through his misfortune; he had a large herd of cows on his farm and he gave the whole of this herd to the poor who had lost cows. He had a just sense of human rights and responsibility, and was possessed of great kindness of heart. He had himself been left an orphan and adopted and reared children besides his own. He was a member of the State Legislature for a period of two terms. As he had vast business interests to look after the Governor allowed him every other week, that being a condition of his accepting the nomination.
We append the following notice published at the time of his death:
" Died at Sidell, Vermilion County, Illinois, January 29, 1889, the Honorable John Sidell, founder of the town which bears his name. His physician pronounced his disease Bright's disease of the kidneys, from which he has suffered many years. In the death of Mr. Sidell the town which he founded, the community in which he lived, and the entire country mourn the loss of a friend and benefactor, and his family the inexpressible loss of a beloved husband and father. His funeral was conducted at his family mansion, three-quarters of a mile from Sidell, by the Masonic order. A very impressive sermon was delivered by Rev. G. B. Goldsmith, a personal friend of the deceased, and also a biographical sketch of his life. His funeral was largely attended by relatives, friends and neighbors and many citizens of surrounding townships. He was buried at Danville, Illinois. The funeral train was crowded with sympathizing friends, and it was met at Danville and under the auspices of the combined Masonic lodges of Indianola and Olive Branch. He was carried to his last resting place with great solemnity. Mr. Sidell was seventy-two years, seven months and two days of age.

Biography of Hon. John Sidell, Cattle King of Illinois.

John Sidell was born in Washington County, Maryland, June 27, 1816. He was left an orphan at the age of eight years. He worked on a faym until he was nineteen years old in his native county, and received but one dollar and a half per month. He became dissatisfied with his wages and started West. He arrived in Green County, Ohio, with nineteen dollars in his pocket and a limited supply of clothing. He soon secured work on a farm at twelve dollars per month, and as soon as he had saved money enough he started further west on horseback, passing through Illinois into Iowa. Not finding a situation that suited him he returned to Ohio, and took a contract to cut a certain number of cords of wood at thirty-three and a third cents a cord. This was his start in life as a successful business man. Prom that time on he became a stock-dealer. He settled in Vermilion County, Illinois, in 1862, and has been one of the most successful stock-dealers in the State of Illinois. He owned at one time about 9,000 acres of land, and at one time he sold a large tract for which he received $115,000.
" Mr. Sidell was twice married. His first wife, Elizabeth Cline, he married January 26, 1847. She was born in Greene County, Ohio, in 1823, and died May 1, 1854. He was married the second time to Ada B. Ransom, January 20,1857. She died October 4,1868. He had one son and one daughter by his first wife: George and Allie E. By his second wife he had three children: Jennie H., Joseph J. and Luella B. In politics Mr. Sidell was a Whig and later a Republican. But of late years he took little interest in politics. He was a friend of religion but not a church member. He was liberal in his views and with his purse. He gave to the support of the church and Sabbath-school and contributed largely to the building of churches. He was kind and liberal to the needy and never pressed a poor man for money. He was a very public-spirited man and ready to aid in any enterprise for the public good. His home was a paradise of comfort and he was always hospitable. He was pure in his life and a man of clean lips. He had no respect for a morally corrupt man. All told he was a perfect gentleman and a noble man."