- The First Seventy-five Years in the Sanborn Community (1878-1953) -
Mrs. Anna Magee, who with her first husband, Hiram Algyer, moved a house here from Primghar, the first dwelling in Sanborn.
The W.P. Luke family moved from New Diggins, Wisc. to Sanborn in October,1898 and engaged in business, a Variety Store, in the building located where Gorsett Garage is and was owned by the deceased M.M. Burns; the family lived upstairs. After six years, on account of his health, Mr. Luke sold the stock to a man form Primghar, which after six months both stock and building were destroyed by fire. After sale of store, the family moved into a house on Fifth street. That house was completely destroyed in 1914 by the cyclone but was rebuilt and is now occupied by Jim Sanders Jr. The only two of the family who are living are a son, Walter Luke and a daughter, Mrs. Inez Conkey, both living here.
Return to Table of Contents