- The First Seventy-five Years in the Sanborn Community (1878-1953) -
Milwaukee Railroad Women’s Club
The Milwaukee Railroad Women’s Club of Sanborn was organized April 2, 1925, in the home of Mrs. M.M. Burns. Following are the first officers of the club:
President - Mrs. M.M. Burns
First Vice-President - Mrs. H. Kissler
Second Vice-Pres. - Mrs. J.C. Wiley
Secretary - Mrs. A.K. Foote
Treasurer - Mrs. Chris Leemkuil
The first President General, Mrs. Lydia T. Byram visited our club in October of 1926. On May 15th, 1935, a special program was held in which a tree was planted in memory of Mrs. Byram in the park named for her. This park was located where the new Creamery building now stands.
Other outstanding activities include the sponsoring of the first community Christmas tree project with Santa Claus and candy for the children; annual Labor Day picnics; welfare to the needy members; good cheer to the sick; funeral dinners; Christmas parties or treats for children of all railroad worker’s families; and 4th of July picnics.
Mrs. Edith Burns was on the General Governing Board for a time.