- The First Seventy-five Years in the Sanborn Community (1878-1953) -
A club of Lions International was organized here the charter being closed January 2, 1952, the date of their first official meeting. The Paullina Lions Club sponsored the Sanborn group.
First officers were: Bert Kuiper, pres.; James Cravens, sec.-treas.; R.L. Gowen, first vice pres.; J.M. Burns, third vice pres., B. Prew, lion tamer; Torry Muro, tail twister, and directors, Gerrit Prince, L.J. Sweeney and Albert Block.
During the short time they have been organized they have been very active and have taken a leading part or helped substantially in every civic enterprise. Some of their outstanding activities are the midget baseball league, which they sponsored the summer of 1952, helped with the 1953 summer recreation program and helped buy some uniforms for the local Girl Scouts and have taken the lead in preparations for the Diamond Jubilee celebration.
The officers now are: Pres. Ben Prew; sec. W.E. Barker; treas., Jas. Cravens; first vice pres., Harry Ellett; second vice pres., Neil Beyer; directors, Willis Petrich, Kenneth Erwin, W.V. Oostenburg, C.W. Scoles, L.T. Hickey, Max Whittlesey.
Return to Table of Contents