- The First Seventy-five Years in the Sanborn Community (1878-1953) -
An Odd Fellows Lodge was instituted in Sanborn in 1881. Their charter was dated December 29, 1881, and names on it are: H.D. Chapin, C. Tifft, R.M. Boyd, Frank A. Turner, J.W. Clancy, Cal Broadstreet, E.R. Wood, W.C. Green, Geo. W. Schee, H. Algyer, Jno. R. Pumphrey, J.W. Roberts, Wm. Powell, A.H. Roden, L.D. Thomas, W.H. Skinner, T.D. White.
They met in a hall above “Dr. Smith’s drug store” on the west side of Main street in the second block north where the Masonic lodge also met. Later they were meeting in an upstairs hall on the east side of Main street at the site of their present hall. A fire December 8, 1922 destroyed this building and in 1925 they had the building erected which is now used as their meeting place and also the Rebekah lodge.
Present officers are: N.G. Merle Mulder; V.G. Spencer Steece; sec., Lawrence Sullivan; treas., Verne Dummett; warden, Leslie Leemkuil; conductor, Ellis Miller; inside guard, Victor Bieser; outside guard, Wilbur Merriam; L.S.N.G., Glenn Dummett; R.S.V.G., Guy Miller; L.S.V.G., Donald Irving; chaplain, Geo. Mayhak.
Return to Table of Contents