- The First Seventy-five Years in the Sanborn Community (1878-1953) -
School for Christian Instruction
A School for Christian Instruction is conducted in Sanborn. A group of members of the Christian Reformed church met in 1914 and organized for the purpose of starting a school. Three years later classes were begun and were held in the Consistory room attached to the church edifice. Rev. D. Hollebeck was pastor at this time and became president of the first school board. Other members were Wm. Elgersma, vice pres.; D. Ter Matt, Bert Granstra, Pete Nootenboom, Ben Hofman, Gerrit DeBoer. The first teacher was George Dykhuizen, who conducted all the classes including an average of 45 pupils.
The room soon became too small so the patrons went ahead with already considered plans to erect a school building and a two room school was put up in 1921.
In 1948 the building was enlarged and remodeled to four rooms with full basement. Henry Bode has been principal with three teachers assisting. One hundred fifteen pupils were enrolled in the school the past year. Present school board members are: Sam Elgersma, pres.; Pete Postma, vice pres.; Dick Solsma, Geo. Andringa and Ed Uittenbogaard.
Return to Table of Contents