township is bounded on the east by Crawford, on the west by
Douglas, on the north by Jefferson and on the south by Scott.
is no township in the county, nor indeed in the State, superior to
this in natural advantages. The surface is divided in about the
proper proportion between rich prairie and heavy timber land. It
is dotted with handsome groves, has excellent water and a good
supply of stone.
of the first settlers in the county came to this township. Among
them were those excellent people the Guye family, P. M. Boyles,
John Beedle, Amos Case, John Evans, J. Wilhoit and John Wallace.
In 1847 Leonard Bowman, David Cracroft, Alfred Q. Rice and Henry
Rice located in this township. Basil Pursell, James Brown, George
Magnus, John B. Sturman and Charles Farris came about the same
time or a little later.
township is now well settled up and its natural advantages
following are the township officers: Justices - Jesse M. Wright,
J. R. Davis; Trustees - Alfred Higgs, F. M. Gentry, James Guye;
Constable - James Etchison; Assessor - Adam Graham; Clerk - J. E.
below is Union Township as it appeared in 1875. The township
population consisted of about 180 families at the time the map was
made. The Primitive Baptist Cemetery was the only one included by
the map maker. The Fidler Cemetery is of note as it was one
of the county's oldest with at least one burial in 1846.
Unfortunately, the cemetery has been farmed over and the location
shown on the map is an approximation. The Des Moines to Winterset
branch line of the Rock Island and Pacific railroad courses
through the southernmost part of the township.