township is bounded on the east by Warren county, on the west by
Scott township, on the north by Crawford, and on the south by
Ohio. It is drained by Clanton, and its tributary, Jones creek,
the former stream passing through the center from the southwest to
the northeast. Along this stream there is a fine belt of timber
that will compare favorably with any in the State. It abounds in
fine oak trees especially. There are a number of small streams
which water nearly every section of land in the township. Stone
abounds in the banks of Clanton creek, and some coal has been
found along Brush creek.
township is one of the oldest in the county and we have spoken of
its early history heretofore in connection with the early
settlement of the county. After the Clanton colony the earliest
settlers were George Hartman, Isaac Young, N. S. Alcock, David
Smith, the Casons, the Casebiers and others who came as early as
township is now thoroughly improved and settled in every part. One
of the finest farm houses in all this section of the country is
that of Hogan Queen which is located in this township. It is a
large two and a half story building and is situated in a beautiful
village of St. Charles, of which full mention is made elsewhere,
is located in this township.
present township officers are: Justices - B. C. Gulliams, C. W.
Thompson; Trustees - A. O. Scott, Elza Blair, Daniel Chadd;
Constables - Daniel Chadd, T. T. Hoff; Assessor - Wesley Roberts;
Clerk - T. W. Stiles.
below is South Township as it appeared in 1875. The township
was the most heavily timbered of the county in that era. Despite
all the woodlands, the township had about 200 families in
residence in 1875, making it one of the most populated in the
county. Of the six active cemeteries in 1875, the map maker left
all but Close off the map.